Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 380 Old 08-29-2006, 01:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mauerbach View Post

I was looking through the on-screen set-up guide for DVD playback and noticed under video, an option under input, I believe, that offered the choice of "lighter" and "darker".

Can't find any mention of it in the manual - anyone know what it's for and what it's supposed to do???

It is used to theoretically allow the recorded copy to match the original material. Oddly enough, there is no "normal" or middle option on either record or playback. I have read about this on other forums; it seems that DVDs recorded on a Panasonic usually played back too dark. They have corrected for this and now the default configurations usually give the best results.

Look Here: http://forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic...041098c4cb051e
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 380 Old 08-30-2006, 07:19 AM

Thanks for the info.

So, I assume this function only applies to "home" recorded material and not rented or purchased DVD playback?
post #183 of 380 Old 08-30-2006, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

It's on page 63 & 64 of your Owners Manual. But I can tell you now not to mess with the "INPUT" setting.
post #184 of 380 Old 08-30-2006, 12:32 PM

So you're saying leave the default at "darker"?
post #185 of 380 Old 08-30-2006, 03:11 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I was looking about buying this machine VS others I had seen. BB had a LG for about the same price but it recorded in plus R and RW only. There was a more expensive Sony that was a progressive scan but NOT an up converter that recorded in multiple formats. What are the pro's and Con's about recording in multiple formats? I am very uninformed and the sales clerks in BB knew less than I did. I wish I knew how to get HD out of my Tivo? The menu has an option "send to VCR" but I am assuming that it is 4X3 output but I am not sure.
post #186 of 380 Old 08-30-2006, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

mauerbach. Yes leave it on "Darker" that is the correct setting.

If you do a search here you should be able to get plenty of info on Panny settings & the ones that come from the factory are the Correct Settings.

If things seem too dark or too light I would first calibrate the TV set to make sure that it's been setup correctly before messing with any video products that might be connectd to it.
post #187 of 380 Old 08-31-2006, 07:22 AM

Thanks Bill1313 - I won't be changing that setting.
post #188 of 380 Old 09-03-2006, 06:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by renlopez View Post

I don't see a thread on this particular Model, but since I saw it at my local Costco, I assume that a lot of people will be picking this model up.

I have the ES40VS but I have been having a lot of problems with the unit freezing up when recording DV input. I'm considering returning the 40 and getting the 45 for about $20 more.

It adds 720p/1080i upconversion via HDMI and an SD card input. It also includes an HDMI cable.

My biggest annoyance with the 40 besides the freezing up issue, is that you can't use flexible recording when dubbing from a tape.

I went into Sam's and looked at their version of the 45 ie 46 and noticed it came with HDMI cable and DVD-RAM disk. Not knowing anything about recording I went over to their stock and found no DVD-RAM disks for sale. The box said that the Recorder was compliant with DVD-RAM, DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RW, but Read only on DVD+RW. When I went to the Panasonic Web site it said that the 45 was compatable with DVD/+RW. This would be a big difference between the 45 and the 46. This means to me that the only rewritable formats available on the 46 are DVD-RAM (Which I hear are kind of expensive about 2.00 each) and DVD-RW which store vidio in a different method. I don't know enough about the storage technologies but want to be able to save quality video in the most economicial way. Because of my lack of knowledge about the subject, I put the box back on the shelf An earlier post mentioned that the only way to record 16X9 is by using DVD-RAM. Since all of my TV's are 16 X 9 sets, that would be the only format that I would be interested in. One after thought to anyone more knowledgable. The 46 indicated
that DVD-RW listeded on the box was 1X-4X. and 2X-4X I did not see the speed on th DVD-RAM but note that the newest format is 16X The Panasonic web site says the unit supports up to 5X on the DVD-RAM and it is the only format that will record 16X9
post #189 of 380 Old 09-04-2006, 08:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by highheater View Post

I just purchased a DMR-E46VS but noticed that it only copies 16:9 format to D-RAM and 4:3 format to other DVDs. I was wondering if you have copied widescreen high-def material from the H10-250 to the E45 on formats other than D-RAM (presumably only at 4:3) and what the resulting recorded material looks like when played back.

1) Does the recording cut of the ends of the 16:9 picture in making the conversion to 4:3 or condense to fill the 4:3 aspect with distortion? The picture in the manual suggests the later.

2) If archiving HD signals are important to me, should I forget the Panasonic EV46S and find a DVD recorder that has a selectable (16:9 4:3) input?

3) Do any current DVD Recorders have a selectable (16:9 4:3) input AND HDMI output? The currect Sony DVD recorders have the selectable input but no output?

The 10-250 will output in 480i only
The Panasonic EV46S will record 16 X 9 on DVD-RAM
Blu-Ray is beautiful but no recorders yet except computer drives. Disks are $47 each. Ouch!
post #190 of 380 Old 09-04-2006, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittyba View Post

The operators manual is at http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPERMANPDF/DMRES45V.pdf

Page 51 states the following:
About FR Mode
When Time Limit is set to Off in Step 5 above:
≥The recording mode is automatically selected by estimating the
remaining capacity of the disc for transfer (copying) of only the
recorded parts in the video cassette (unrecorded parts will not
be recorded).
≥When you press [ENTER] to start transfer (copy), the tape is
automatically fast-forwarded to the end and then fast-rewound
to the beginning before the transfer (copying) is actually started.
It may take time to start transfer (copy). If the remaining
capacity of the disc is insufficient, the transfer (copying) will be
stopped in the middle.
≥The recording is divided into titles every time the tape index
signals are detected.
When Time Limit is set to On in Step 5 above:
≥The recording mode is automatically determined by estimating
the remaining capacity of the disc for transfer (copying) of the
contents equivalent to the recording time set from the start point
of the transfer (copying) on the video cassette (unrecorded
parts will also be recorded).
≥The recording is not divided into titles.

So it looks like on the Panasonic, if you do not specify a time in FR record mode, it will determine the length of tape, use the highest quality given the time to fill the disk, and divide titles on tape index signals.

Wow this sounds like a nice feature for automatic conversion of VHS tapes created as described above!

Boldly trying a new DVR: http://moto3416review.blogspot.com/
post #191 of 380 Old 09-04-2006, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauerbach View Post

So you're saying leave the default at "darker"?

This is a bit similar to photography where it's easier to get more details out of a recording when it's darker than lighter.

Boldly trying a new DVR: http://moto3416review.blogspot.com/
post #192 of 380 Old 09-06-2006, 07:35 AM

I just noticed a "whirring" noise coming from my player - it's not overly loud - but definitely there - almost thought it was crickets! I only hear it when a DVD is spinning.

Is this a normal sound or is something wrong with it? Anyone else notice this sound?
post #193 of 380 Old 09-14-2006, 02:39 PM

Hello,

I bought the Pana DMR-ES46 DVD recorder/VCR from Costco.
I used the HDMI cable provided to connect the Pana DMR-ES46 to the TV (Sharp 37D5U).
An optical cable connects the TV digital audio output to an AV receiver.

The problem is:
When I played a DVD movie with Dolby 5.1, the AV receiver only recognized the audio as stereo (not Dolby 5.1).
[Note: if I watched an HD cable TV program, the AV receiver would indicate the audio as Dloby 5.1. So, the connection between the TV and AV receiver should be alright.]

The question:
Does anyone have the same connection setup (Pana DVD to TV via HDMI; TV to AV receiver via optical audio cable) and can get Dolby 5.1 audio?

[Note: In the Pana DVD menu, I have set "Dolby" and "DTS" to bitstream.]

(I've scanned through this thread and didn't see anyone talk about this.)

Thanks.

Tony
post #194 of 380 Old 09-18-2006, 09:06 AM

Update to whirring sound:

The sound seems to be coming from the right side of the unit - through the vents near the back. I assume this has something to do with the fact that the DVD drive is on this side. I have rearranged the unit in my set-up so the the vents are now facing "In" instead of "out" - hopefully this will minimize the sound.

Since no one has replied, I'm assuming this is not a regular sound and my player might be defective.

The player continues to operate flawlessly - it's just this noise that is bothering me. I'll give it some more time and if it continues I'm going to exchange it for a new one at Costco.
post #195 of 380 Old 09-22-2006, 03:49 PM

I have a URC MX-700 remote control so I'm wondering if there is a code for this thing? Has anyone set up a programmable remote to operate one of these?
Jim

Jim Sanchez - jim@jimsanchez.com
post #196 of 380 Old 10-03-2006, 12:00 PM

I have a DMR-ES46VS.

Connected via HDMI to a new LCD (Samsung).

On shows recorded on the VCR, the close caption does not appear.

On regular cable, the close captions show up fine, so I know the TV is working properly. This is an issues with the Panny.

Any ideas? I've read that close caption does not work over HDMI, which is gd rediculous if true.

Am I missing a setting? Is there a way to get the cc?

Thanks.
post #197 of 380 Old 10-03-2006, 12:14 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecism View Post

I have a DMR-ES46VS.

Connected via HDMI to a new LCD (Samsung).

On shows recorded on the VCR, the close caption does not appear.

On regular cable, the close captions show up fine, so I know the TV is working properly. This is an issues with the Panny.

Any ideas? I've read that close caption does not work over HDMI, which is gd rediculous if true.

Am I missing a setting? Is there a way to get the cc?

Thanks.

Check this post out, and the ones that follow?

PHILIPS HD DVRs | MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*Due to the AVS SW change in June 2014, most but not all links in this thread will work if you're not logged in. If you are logged in, links should work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.
post #198 of 380 Old 10-03-2006, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabjxo View Post

Check this post out, and the ones that follow?[/url]

Wabjxo,

Thanks much - the first good explanation I have seen. Makes sense (but sucks too).
post #199 of 380 Old 10-03-2006, 05:53 PM

I am seriously considering buying a Panasonic ES45V vhs/dvd recorder from Radio Shack for $299. Their model number is VMI-ES45V, which I assume is the same as any ES45V Panasonic. Am I Correct? I know it can be had cheaper, but I like the RS service arrangement whereby, if a problem arises, I can take it back to any of their stores for service. No need to pack it and ship it back to Panasonic. And for an extra $50, I can extend the warranty to a full three years.

My question, since I've never done any dubbing before from VHS to DVD is this: If I want to dub a movie with commercials to a dvd, deleting the commercials, how easily and successfully can that be done on this unit? Can I divide the movie when dubbing from VHS to a scene menu of the sort you find on commercial DVD's? I can, if necessary, just buy a new VHS and dub directly to my computer hard drive, editing and burning it to a dvd afterwards, but that seems to involve about twice the work and to put extra wear and tear on my hard drive. Is my thinking correct and reasonable?

Any advice will be appreciated, including any other brand or models that will do what I want to do and might be considered easier to use or more reliable. I've been seeing some horror stories about Sony units, for example. What about JVC's?

Thanks in advance to any help you can offer me.

Don Eisen
post #200 of 380 Old 10-04-2006, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgeisen View Post

I am seriously considering buying a Panasonic ES45V vhs/dvd recorder from Radio Shack for $299. Their model number is VMI-ES45V, which I assume is the same as any ES45V Panasonic. Am I Correct? I know it can be had cheaper, but I like the RS service arrangement whereby, if a problem arises, I can take it back to any of their stores for service. No need to pack it and ship it back to Panasonic. And for an extra $50, I can extend the warranty to a full three years.

My question, since I've never done any dubbing before from VHS to DVD is this: If I want to dub a movie with commercials to a dvd, deleting the commercials, how easily and successfully can that be done on this unit? Can I divide the movie when dubbing from VHS to a scene menu of the sort you find on commercial DVD's? I can, if necessary, just buy a new VHS and dub directly to my computer hard drive, editing and burning it to a dvd afterwards, but that seems to involve about twice the work and to put extra wear and tear on my hard drive. Is my thinking correct and reasonable?

Any advice will be appreciated, including any other brand or models that will do what I want to do and might be considered easier to use or more reliable. I've been seeing some horror stories about Sony units, for example. What about JVC's?

Don Eisen

Don,

A couple comments:

- I would suggest getting the ES46V from Costco instead of the ES45V from Radio Shack. The ES46V includes the HDMI cable, which is useful and saves you some money. I think it's selling for $290 right now. Also, Costco has a better return policy, so if it does not work out, you can return it easily, up to a year later.

- As for your question re: copying VHS to DVD and editing out commercials, I have not done this myself. However, I have attached the manual to this post and you can read to see what is possible. It does not appear to be possible in one operation. (I could be wrong.)

The easier option (in my opinion), is to copy VHS to DVD normally, and then use a re-authoring tool (ex. Nero) to edit out the commercials and make it commercial free. Obviously, you need to use a computer and it takes some extra time, but it's not that bad; I have done this and it works fairly well.
post #201 of 380 Old 10-04-2006, 09:56 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

- I would suggest getting the ES46V from Costco instead of the ES45V from Radio Shack. The ES46V includes the HDMI cable, which is useful and saves you some money. I think it's selling for $290 right now. Also, Costco has a better return policy, so if it does not work out, you can return it easily, up to a year later.

I would check your Costco's return policy before buying...ours has changed to 90 days on electronics...it may be Costo-wide?

PHILIPS HD DVRs | MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*Due to the AVS SW change in June 2014, most but not all links in this thread will work if you're not logged in. If you are logged in, links should work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.
post #202 of 380 Old 10-04-2006, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgeisen View Post

Don Eisen

Here's what the Pan ES45H looks like. Not sure what that other model number. As for editing, only using RAM discs, can you perform any editing after recording to disc. Chapter marks are added automatically throughout the recording on DVD-Rs and -RWs, every 5 minutes when the disc is finalized for play on other dvd players. Your best bet would be to use the -RW re-writable discs to perform vhs to dvd dubs. Then take that to the pc for editing and then burn to dvd-r. If your pc is a multi drive that can play RAM discs, then you can do the editing on the recorder, and take it to the pc for tweaking and then burning to dvd-r.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #203 of 380 Old 10-04-2006, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabjxo View Post

I would check your Costco's return policy before buying...ours has changed to 90 days on electronics...it may be Costo-wide?

Costco is famous (infamous?) for it's liberal return policy.

I have never seen 90 days on electronics at any Costco or online. Please send more info.

The only exception is on computers, which is 6 months.

Everything is bascially a year, or more, depending on the store. Some people return things years later.
post #204 of 380 Old 10-04-2006, 03:09 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Costco is famous (infamous?) for it's liberal return policy.

I have never seen 90 days on electronics at any Costco or online. Please send more info.

The only exception is on computers, which is 6 months.

Everything is bascially a year, or more, depending on the store. Some people return things years later.

I called our local Costco and it's 6 months on computers, as you said, and on everything else, it's "bring it in and we'll take care of it for ya."

(Last time I'll listen to my wife...which was the first time, now that I think of it!)

post #205 of 380 Old 10-15-2006, 12:08 AM

This is my second Panasonic ES46 within 2 months from Costco. Great return policy, just keep the receipt.

I may have to return it again since I'm still having problems with the chase/recording with the RAM disk. The recorder/player keeps freezing up while I'm recording and chasing either that particular chapter or watching something else on the same disk. The only way to reset it, is to turn it off which also stops the recording. Frustration as heck.

I need help from the forum experfts: Is this a known problem with this Panny, am I doing something wrong on the chase, or just a bad batch of players? I've read about dirty RAM disks, so I also washed and carefully dried the RAM disk, but still have this problem. Any other suggestions? This may be my third trip back or return it completely.
post #206 of 380 Old 10-15-2006, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

^^Is it just with that one disc, or every RAM disc you've used? What brand name is it?

They're not com-tastic!
post #207 of 380 Old 10-15-2006, 11:56 AM

Hi-

Thanks for the reply.

It's been with separate disks that came with the each of the different players. They are both Panasonic RAM disks. I even washed that last disk, reading that invisible dirt may cause some problems. This Panny, as with the last, is still locking up while chasing or playing back and recording at the same time.

Am I doing something wrong or are the Panasonics known to be faulty?
post #208 of 380 Old 10-15-2006, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

You won't know for sure, until you try discs other than the freebies that were included with each unit. I've had no problem with any RAM disc that I've bought, nor with the one that came with my ES30.
So, you should buy some new ones, and if the same problem happens, then it's the unit.

They're not com-tastic!
post #209 of 380 Old 10-15-2006, 01:01 PM

Hum, that's what I thought. I've been looking for Ram disks in local b&m, CC, CUSA, BB and nobody seems to carry them, other than by internet with Panny. Still, would a bad disk cause the player to freeze and the only workaround is to turn it off?
post #210 of 380 Old 10-15-2006, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olt1892 View Post

The question:
Does anyone have the same connection setup (Pana DVD to TV via HDMI; TV to AV receiver via optical audio cable) and can get Dolby 5.1 audio?
Tony

This will not work for you because only two channels of audio will travel over the HDMI to the TV so when you optically connect to your receiver there are only 2 channels there. Try connecting the optical cable directly from your DVD player to the receiver.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page