just picked up a Toshiba RD-XS35 - Page 12 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #331 of 357 Old 07-19-2007, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have seen the time *bar* (not indicator) "missing" because you can actually move it downwards with the controls on the remote. The first time I did this, I thought it was lost too. It was just (almost completely) off the screen due to overscan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 357 Old 07-20-2007, 01:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I've had my XS35's time bar get totally wonky and say that EVERYTHING on the HD was 1:33 long (which was the time of the last thing I had edited before it freaked out). Had me convinced it was hosed but unplugging it for 10 minutes fixed it.

Very strange.
post #333 of 357 Old 07-20-2007, 08:58 AM

Interesting what just unplugging the unit can do. Check out the earlier posts about the TVGuide not downloading properly. Same thing happened to me, and just unplugging the machine for 5 minutes and plugging it back in did the trick with that, too.
post #334 of 357 Old 07-20-2007, 11:16 AM
Me3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLM507WFan View Post

Interesting what just unplugging the unit can do. Check out the earlier posts about the TVGuide not downloading properly. Same thing happened to me, and just unplugging the machine for 5 minutes and plugging it back in did the trick with that, too.

Toshiba's answer to Ctrl+Alt+Delete. :-)

Sometimes computers need to be rebooted. These players lean strongly to the computer side of things.

My 2 cents

Steve
post #335 of 357 Old 07-21-2007, 05:40 PM

OK I'll check through the manual... and maybe I might do a reboot... but I don't want to lost all my schedualed recordings.. Ya... The way they designed it is good and also a little wierd as well.
post #336 of 357 Old 07-21-2007, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Unplugging won't cause you to lose any recorded shows or upcoming events.. at least I've never had any issues.
post #337 of 357 Old 07-23-2007, 08:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me3 View Post

When mine did that (time bars missing too) I powered down the unit and held the power key for ten seconds. The display said "Wait." When the normal display returned, I powered up the unit and all was well.

This worked for me, too. Try it; it's an easy fix.
post #338 of 357 Old 07-23-2007, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmscott42 View Post

Unplugging won't cause you to lose any recorded shows or upcoming events.. at least I've never had any issues.

One thing I've noticed, at least on my XS32, is that the user-defined NAME of scheduled recordings (and possibly other changes) *seems* to be cached in RAM.

I am totally guessing, but it seems like this info is only actually stored to either the battery/flash RAM or hard drive if you power down manually..

My symptom -- I have noticed that SOME user-specified names (e.g. I name my 5:30-6PM channel 3 recording "nbc news") go away when I have to force reboot the machine (hung dubbing to DVD, etc.. I have a few recordings that repeat this on demand).

Some don't. I suspect but haven't proven (since I don't want to force reboot it in the fear it will hose my drive again) that it actually 'permanently' stores the changes upon a safe powerdown.
post #339 of 357 Old 07-24-2007, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

That would make sense. I can't remember if I've had to force mine down, but I have never lost any titles when unplugging after the unit is properly turned off-- i.e., precautionary during a thunderstorm or something.
post #340 of 357 Old 11-04-2007, 05:24 PM

We've had this machine for about 8 months now. Got it @ a open box sale @ Futureshop. A small isse getting the roght remote. But other then tat. The machine has been everything as excepted. Just one issue with play back from the hard drive. Every so often, there is a Black Box the shows up on the screen. Takes up about 50% on the screen centred in the lower screen. The only way to clear the screen seems to be power off the unit and start it up again. The box looks like it should have some sort of error in it but no information, just a black box.

anyone seen this? and know of a fix if any??

Here..
post #341 of 357 Old 11-10-2007, 05:07 PM

I am having problems with my toshiab rd-xs35. It was working great. A few days ago I tried to burn tv shows on a dvd-rw disc. It was a used disc, so I had to erase the content.

So I went to format it and it stopped at 28% and said can not format disc. So I stick in a 2nd disc and same problem. I stick in a new dvd-rw and I get the same problem.

What is really weird is that the discs the unit could not format now can not be formatted with any of my other units (toshiba rd-xs54, toshiba rs-tx20, pc using nero) Up until a few weeks ago, it had no problem burning to these discs.

Eventually I get to a point where its giving me an error 14. So When I spoke to toshiba they said to unplug the unit for a few minutes and it will clear it up. I tried that and again it will not format the disc (stopped at 22%). This time it did not ruin the dvd-rw.

I just tried holding the power on button to make it reset. Let see if that makes things different. I did notice the bottom of the rd-xs35 was pretty warm. The fan is working.

I do live in a dusty area. Could this possibly be a dirty lens? What would be a good way to clean it? The rd-xs35 is just under 1 year old.
post #342 of 357 Old 11-10-2007, 05:33 PM
Advanced Member

If it's under a year old, get it in right away. If you're in Canada, you've got one year on parts and labor, and if you're in the US, you've got 90 days on labor and one year on parts, which is still better than springing $194.80 for the drive yourself. If there were an off-the-shelf drive known to work with the XS35, that would be faster and cheaper, but so far no one has been successful, although nextoo mentioned he might have another go at it.
post #343 of 357 Old 11-10-2007, 11:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by here4now View Post

We've had this machine for about 8 months now. Got it @ a open box sale @ Futureshop. A small isse getting the roght remote. But other then tat. The machine has been everything as excepted. Just one issue with play back from the hard drive. Every so often, there is a Black Box the shows up on the screen. Takes up about 50% on the screen centred in the lower screen. The only way to clear the screen seems to be power off the unit and start it up again. The box looks like it should have some sort of error in it but no information, just a black box.

anyone seen this? and know of a fix if any??

Here..

Try holding down the power button on the unit for 10 seconds or so until it does a complete power down, or alternately, unplug the unit, wait a few minutes and plug it back in.
post #344 of 357 Old 11-16-2007, 08:29 AM

Just got off the phone with toshiba. They suggested I try to clean the laser with a q-tip and rubbing alcohol(watered down). My only other option appears to be to send it to them $70 flat rate and they will send it back. I bought it in january so it has a parts warranty.

To summarize my problem, my toshiba rd-xs35 makes a dvd-rw into a coaster when it tries to erase the disc. It tries to erase it and hangs up at 28%. I don't want to waste another -rw, so I think I will see if it can write to a -r disc.

Did I mention if I put in a -rw with content on it, its able to play it no problem.
post #345 of 357 Old 11-16-2007, 11:15 AM
Advanced Member

By all means, try an -R disc, but my experience with cleaning the lens with a Q-tip or even a cleaning disc has been that it will only buy you a month or two at best. You are merely postponing the inevitable: the burner is dying. $70 may sound stiff, but it's way better than delaying and paying that plus $194.80 for the burner out of warranty.

Man, if we could only identify a reasonably-priced burner we could swap out ourselves on this machine...
post #346 of 357 Old 11-18-2007, 05:02 PM

ok, I tried a -r disc and it recorded it fine. Told it to finalize and and took it to one of my other players and it played no problem.. So at least I can get all the shows off befoe I send it to toshiba for repair.

Can you think of any reason why it would ruin an -rw when it was trying to erase it and have no problem with a -r?

I also have a toshiba rd-xs54 and I formatted the -rw disc in that unit and put it in the rd-xs35 and it says it was a bad disc.
post #347 of 357 Old 11-18-2007, 09:45 PM
Advanced Member

You could always try a different brand -or speed- of DVD-RW to see if it makes a difference, but I suspect your burner is showing the first symptoms of its inevitable demise. At least you're catching it early enough so that you can burn your stuff to DVD-R, but be sure those burns are good throughout as well. When my burner started to give out, the burn completed and it started to play OK on other players, but there were a few skips and freezes here and there. With time, things got worse. Be sure to play your DVD-Rs from start to finish to make sure those early symptoms aren't showing up yet.
post #348 of 357 Old 11-19-2007, 06:36 AM

the black box issue is back with a #1 in the top left corner..
It's seems to be only when watching play backs from the HD.. a power off does clear it.. and tried the reboot.. still ongoing..
post #349 of 357 Old 11-19-2007, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbill2084 View Post

ok, I tried a -r disc and it recorded it fine. Told it to finalize and and took it to one of my other players and it played no problem.. So at least I can get all the shows off befoe I send it to toshiba for repair.

Can you think of any reason why it would ruin an -rw when it was trying to erase it and have no problem with a -r?

I also have a toshiba rd-xs54 and I formatted the -rw disc in that unit and put it in the rd-xs35 and it says it was a bad disc.

Try doing a FULL erase/format of the DVD-RW on a PC or laptop. It will probably work fine on your PC after that, so the disc is not wasted. I don't think it can "ruin" the disc, but it can put it in a state where it is unworkable until a full erase/format is done. And the usual problem is that you can't do the "physical" format on the Toshiba, but you can on your PC.

Good luck!

Bron

P.S. Sometimes I've even got the disk to work again on the Toshiba, but it's been hit or miss, and I just haven't spent much time to figure it out. I burn mostly DVD-R's and (so far) no problems there. I just use the DVD-RW's on my PC.
post #350 of 357 Old 01-25-2008, 12:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plplplpl View Post

The manual for the RD-XS35 can be found and downloaded from this page, when you click the Download tab.

The above no longer works. Now, if you want the manual, go to this page, select Year: 2006, Product: DVD Recorders, Model: RD-XS35 and click Go.

To save the PDFs when they display in IE to your hard drive, right click on the Installation Guide and Owner's Manual yellow and red tabs, then choose Save Target as...
post #351 of 357 Old 07-06-2008, 01:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by TooMuchTV
I received my XS35 last Thursday and overall am very pleased with with the features and am convinced that this (my 3rd) DVD recorder actually does almost everything I want it to do, with one exception. I can't figure out how to do a simple timed recording from an external source. I want to record for a a set amount of time from an external source (DVR) for, say, 1 hour and then end the recording. Most VCR's and DVD recorders let you push record multiple times and each time you press it adds 30 minutes to the recording time. Not this one. I'd love to be able to start a transfer and walk away without having to worry about stopping the recording later. Any advice is much appreciated.

Overall I pretty pleased with the unit. It is overly complicated and the remote is terrible but it does have an impressive feature set.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daryl L
I don't have the XS35 but on my XS52, after hitting the record button click Quick Menu then End Time and set it as you wish. Hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooMuchTV, 05-24-06, 03:25 PM View Post

Sigh. I was excited for a solution, but alas, it didn't work. While recording there is not End Time option on the Quick Menu. I'm still looking for a way to set an end time for a manual recording...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl L View Post

Well that sux. There must be a way. Unfortunately the XS35 manual isn't available for download yet. I forgot you got TVGOS and I don't. Maybe the option is in TVGOS's schedule section somewhere even if not scheduling a recording using the guide.

Sorry for being a couple of years late, but a couple of ways have been found: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post14221516
post #352 of 357 Old 02-14-2009, 07:31 AM

I'm sure I'm going to open a big can of worms here. I'm hoping to get some input from people who have had experience with these machines. I am a noob when it comes to HDD DVD recorders (I have never owned one) but I am tech savvy so I don't anticipate a problem learning the ropes.

Here's what I am looking at:

Sony RDRHX780 $299 (new @ FS)

Pioneer DVR-560H-K $349 (new @ FS & BB)

Toshiba XS35 $150 (used)

The Toshiba definitely has the price advantage, but it is an older machine without HDMI. From what I have read, the Sony and Pioneer are essentially the same hardware but one has more functionality over the other.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!
post #353 of 357 Old 02-14-2009, 08:38 AM
Advanced Member

If you're sure it's in good working condition, especielly its burner, grab the Toshiba RD-XS35... or I will! Actually, I just did about a month and a half ago, despite the the Sony and the Pioneer being readily available at B&M stores nearby. In fact, I paid twice the price you mention and I still feel I got a good deal.

Of course, it depends a lot on what you're looking for in an HDD DVDR, but if at the top of your list is picture quality, the Tosh is your machine. It also has more sophisticated editing and DVD menu creation, is one of the few machines that correctly sets the widescreen flag for 16:9 camcorder input via firewire, has TVGOS, etc.

The Pioneer is a fine machine as well, from what I've heard, and seems quite dependable so far, and the Sony is similar but without a few minor features.
post #354 of 357 Old 02-14-2009, 04:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikingBluenoser View Post

From what I have read, the Sony and Pioneer are essentially the same hardware but one has more functionality over the other.

The Sony also doesn't do DVD-RAM, and is probably considerably worse with copy protection - although it depends on what you're recording from, I suppose.

If it's in good working condition, like plplplpl says, I wouldn't hesitate to choose the Toshiba.

Otherwise, I'd personally take the Pioneer over the Sony.
post #355 of 357 Old 02-16-2009, 12:22 AM
AVS Special Member

+1 on the Tosh XS-35 - it's a superb unit.
post #356 of 357 Old 02-20-2009, 11:49 PM

I have both units and while the XS35 editing features are superior, I'll echo what others have said, which is "Only if the burner is in good working condition". These burners are proprietary, you can't just replace them with a typical ATA DVD burner.

The burner in mine barely works and wastes a lot of disks. This is the main reason I bought the RDRHX780 and when I eventually copy everything off the XS35, I'll probably sell it if I can find a buyer. I paid $270 for my RDRHX780 at BB (open box). The burner on the Sony opens very smoothly, unlike the clunk that the XS35 drive opens and closes with. It's very quite while burning disks, works well with cheap disks and doesn't fail burning with any of them. I can't say the XS35 burner was like that even when it was new. Also reads burned dual-layer disk with no problem. The Toshiba can't read them at all.

The fan of the RDRHX780 turns off when you switch off the unit. Although I have modified the fan of the XS35 so it almost can't be heard, it's still too loud for a room I'm sleeping in.

I don't really understand why everyone cares so much about DVD-RAM when you have a hard drive. I personally like the ability of the RDRHX780 to burn dual-layer disks and it not only upscales DVD video, but any video source that comes in to it via s-video. If you use the HDMI output, you can upscale to 1080p as well. Looks great, and improves the picture quality of my standard def satellite. Recordings from both units look fantastic. There's no appreciable difference, other than the upscaling from the RDRHX780.

I've had no problem with copy protection from any source so far on either unit and I'm not using hacked satellite, it's legit ExpressVu. One of the features I especially like is that it will pick up the name of the show when it's encoded in the signal. Works through s-video input too, you don't have to have coax connected. It also allows me to name my timers, and that's very nice, because even if it doesn't have the show name encoded in the signal, I still see the show name in my list of recordings. Unlike the manual timers of XS35's lousy TVGuide OnScreen that has nothing but date to identify your shows with and doesn't have a skip once feature. Manual timers are the only way for most, if not all satellite users with aftermarket DVRs. Best of all, you plug a standard USB keyboard into the port in the front of the Sony, and you can quickly edit show names. This is a major plus for me personally, I hate entering title and other info with a remote. The Sony also has quick timers like they used to have on their VCRs (a very convenient feature).

The only significant downside to the RDRHX780 is that it does not have Pause LiveTV or Timeslip mode, per-say, but there's still a simple way to do this manually and automatically. If you start recording and then press play , it's essentially the same thing. The Sony enters into Chase Play mode. You can then pause, stop, ff and rw without effecting the recording. You just have to manually delete it when your done if you don't want to keep it. There's no prompt to ask you if you want to save or delete the timeslip content like the XS35 does. You can easily automate this action to one button with a programmable learning remote. You don't have to spend a lot on a universal remote to do this either. I have 2 of the OFA URC8920 eight unit remotes and they work perfect for any device I own. Even my AppleTV. I paid $35 for each of them.

Couple of other nice features of the Sony are the auto chapter markers by time and/or scene change. This is somewhat of a pain, and somewhat helpful because it makes it easier to edit out commercials, but it's not Tivo, so it can sometimes add too many chapter makers. Good thing is that removing them is very easy. The Sony also allows you to view a recording already in progress from the beginning by simply pressing the play button. The XS35 requires that you first press Timeslip and then the chapter back button. Not very intuitive. Sony has a dedicated "stop recording" button, so the recordings can't get easily screwed up by accidentally pressing the stop button. That simply stops Chase Play if it's active and you can start right back in the same spot by pressing play again. I programmed my universal remote so that when I hold down the PVR button for 2 second, it performs the "stop recording" function.

I really do think the editing functions on the X35 are far superior to the Sony, but it's been easy to live without most of them. I'm really more pleased with the convenience features of the Sony. Personally, I'd buy a new Sony RDRHX780 with a warranty, rather then investing $150 into an XS35 with no warranty.
post #357 of 357 Old 02-23-2009, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORES View Post

I have both units and while the XS35 editing features are superior, I'll echo what others have said, which is "Only if the burner is in good working condition". These burners are proprietary, you can't just replace them with a typical ATA DVD burner.
I don't really understand why everyone cares so much about DVD-RAM when you have a hard drive.
The only significant downside to the RDRHX780 is that it does not have Pause LiveTV or Timeslip mode, per-say,

You can't "just replace them with a typical ATA DVD burner" and expect ALL functionality to work correctly... But you can replace it with a burner and get *some decent subset* of functionality. In other words, it sucks, yes, but it's better than NOTHING. (I say this as someone who lives with limited functionality with a DVD burner replacement. Check the other thread, some have apparently 100% functionality from their replacement.)

DVD-RAM: While I admit I don't use them *tons*, I do appreciate the fact that I can delete something AND REGAIN the space immediately. I have a LOT of discs where I have dumped stuff onto "temporarily". (uggh, years) But in reality I actually have been using DVD-RWs more often for that because they mount faster AND at the time they were much much cheaper. But I like the *feature set* of DVD-RAM much better.

Nitpick: it's "per se", not "per-say".
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page