just picked up a Toshiba RD-XS35 - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 357 Old 06-03-2006, 05:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello
Having just purchased a toshiba rd-xs35 3 weeks ago I am finding myself thoroughly enjoying it. Slowly trying to figure out everything I can do with it though. I have one question I wonder if you could help me with. On a 4.7 gigabite dvd I can only get 120 mins on it. I tried adjusting the record quality to get more time but only seem to get 120 min.
Have you had this problem or can you offer any advice.
Thanks now for any help you can provide,
rdgt2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 357 Old 06-07-2006, 03:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascar Dog View Post

Can anyone provide a picture of the remote for the RD-XS35? Is it a lot different than the RD-XS34?

Thanks

Still curious what the remote for the XS35 looks like. Can any one provide a picture?

Thanks.
post #93 of 357 Old 06-07-2006, 03:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevewinks View Post

I just bought a Toshiba XS-34 a couple of weeks ago and until now I have never heard of an XS-35. I see that it has the same 160GB Hard drive.

What are the major (advertised?) differences between an XS-34 and XS35?

The XS-35 has the same guts / features as the XS-34. They just put it in a cheaper case and removed several buttons from the front to cut down on costs.
post #94 of 357 Old 06-07-2006, 04:03 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgt2 View Post

Hello
Having just purchased a toshiba rd-xs35 3 weeks ago I am finding myself thoroughly enjoying it. Slowly trying to figure out everything I can do with it though. I have one question I wonder if you could help me with. On a 4.7 gigabite dvd I can only get 120 mins on it. I tried adjusting the record quality to get more time but only seem to get 120 min.
Have you had this problem or can you offer any advice.
Thanks now for any help you can provide,
rdgt2

You must have the "quality setting" ("speed" in the VCR days) set to "SP," which allows 2 hours of recording on a standard DVD. You can change that setting to LP for 4 hours, plus other better and lower quality settings depending on your unit (check your menus/manual, probably in a "Recording" menu somewhere?).
post #95 of 357 Old 06-07-2006, 04:05 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yash40 View Post

I can't burn a recorded sports event to a DVD-R. IT says copyrighted program or something. Can I burn this at all and how can I get aroudn this?

Most DVD recorders are hard-set to disallow recording copyrighted material. Check online for "Sima" and Search this forum for that name also.
post #96 of 357 Old 06-07-2006, 11:14 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Does any Toshiba xs34 or xs35 owner know3 if their recorder will respond to Toshiba VCR commands like RECord/Stop RECord?

The Pioneer units will respond to Pioneer VCR record/stop rexcord commands as issued by some cable/sat boxes. This gives an alternative to TVGOS operation.
post #97 of 357 Old 06-08-2006, 06:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yash40 View Post

I can't burn a recorded sports event to a DVD-R. IT says copyrighted program or something. Can I burn this at all and how can I get aroudn this?

The Toshiba DVD recorders are notorious for "seeing" copyright protection where there is none. You might have to resort to a "Sima" filter or something like it.

RG
post #98 of 357 Old 06-08-2006, 08:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACFurst View Post

Also, the Toshiba allows you to name individual chapters, unlike the Pioneer or any other stand alone that I'm aware of. Normally that's a pretty useless feature, but for concert footage it's nice to be able to name the chapters by song title. Also, the Toshiba has extensive menu-making options, much more than the Pioneer had.

This is a feature I've been looking for! I've had an LG, a Pioneer 633 and a Panasonic ES50, and as far as I can tell, even if you create chapters, you can not create a menu that shows those chapters and lets you select one of them.

Am I reading you correctly that this is possible with the Toshiba RD-XS35, to create chapter menus?
post #99 of 357 Old 06-08-2006, 09:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascar Dog View Post

Still curious what the remote for the XS35 looks like. Can any one provide a picture?

Thanks.

Found this on Best Buy's US site.

Go ahead, click on it!
post #100 of 357 Old 06-08-2006, 11:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by plplplpl View Post

This is a feature I've been looking for! I've had an LG, a Pioneer 633 and a Panasonic ES50, and as far as I can tell, even if you create chapters, you can not create a menu that shows those chapters and lets you select one of them.

Am I reading you correctly that this is possible with the Toshiba RD-XS35, to create chapter menus?

I'm just learning how to use the Toshiba RD-KX50SU (which should be pretty function identical to the XS series), and I have to say the functionality is really mindblowing. Just the DVD menu creation is pretty amazing, imo. You can rename/hide/pick'n'choose chapters/titles/disc name, generate thumbnails, use a favorite scene as a menu background, pick colors for menus/characters/cursors. Insane, eh? I'm not saying it is an easy machine to use, but it is a kitchen sink of options.

I need your sweet love, Rosetta Stone girl!
post #101 of 357 Old 06-08-2006, 11:57 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Just picked up a Toshiba sx35 w BB 30% off open box coupon. After one evening of comparing it to my 11 months old Pioneer 531H....

Good things for Toshiba:
1: Created DVD menu options are best of DVD recorder breed.
Quote:

I'm just learning how to use the Toshiba RD-KX50SU (which should be pretty function identical to the XS series), and I have to say the functionality is really mindblowing. Just the DVD menu creation is pretty amazing, imo. You can rename/hide/pick'n'choose chapters/titles/disc name, generate thumbnails, use a favorite scene as a menu background, pick colors for menus/characters/cursors. Insane, eh? I'm not saying it is an easy machine to use, but it is a kitchen sink of options.

Note: the Toshiba XS35 also will show only one choice on created DVD menu (no blank entries) if you have only one title on the DVD, as opposed to required muli-choices on Pany(6+) and Pioneer(3+).
2: Picture quality appears to very good. I judge subjectivily as equal to Pioneer. Good range of input adjustment options.
3: Three manuals, basic (setup), advanced operations(180 pages) and reference.
4: Has DV input, 160Gb disk and looks good(styling).
5: The recorded DVD-RW worked as designed in several players.

Bad (not so good) things compared to Pioneer 531H:
1: Flags almost everything off my TWC digital cable box as copy once.. Can't copy it to a DVD. WTF... I did find a analog advertising channel that it said was ok to copy to DVD. None of my other DVD recorders have this "copy once" problem.
2: Doesn't pick up Recording title info from cable box like Pioneer.
3: Doesn't respond to any cable box generated VCR record/stop commands like the Pioneer. I tried all 8 Toshiba sets and the three xs35 option combinations.
3: Not as easy to use as Pioneer in virually any mode.
4:Title text entry is difficult. Pioneer can use number keypad (aka telephone style) in addition to on-screen matrix.
5: Hate the hidden buttons on remote, understand its similar to new 640 remote.
6: The FAN IS LOUD and keeps running on the Toshiba.

Summary:
Toshiba has a lot of features and with features comes complexity It is capable of creating very good recordings on the hdd... Bad Items 1,2 and 3 are fatal flaws for me and my cable system. I did not try to load the TVGOS.

Soooo it'll be going back to BB.
post #102 of 357 Old 06-09-2006, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

I agree that picking up scheduling and control information through an external cable box can be a hit and miss affair. I pretty much run my Toshiba autonomously (not expecting it to be able to link to other electronic resources).

On #1, I was to understand that when restricted to "copy once" status, you should be able to move the title from hdd to dvd (it will delete the hdd copy after the dvd is created). It's probably buried in some menu to explicitly command a move operation, rather than a copy or dub operation.

The fan issue must be highly variable unit to unit. I often hear of complaints of fan noises on various products, but the unit I have is nearly silent. I have to put my ear right up to the front to sense the fan is running. The hdd is also barely audible- pretty much the turn-on/turn-off click stands out more than when it is running.

Sorry it didn't work out for you, though.

post #103 of 357 Old 06-09-2006, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hanky View Post

On #1, I was to understand that when restricted to "copy once" status, you should be able to move the title from hdd to dvd (it will delete the hdd copy after the dvd is created). It's probably buried in some menu to explicitly command a move operation, rather than a copy or dub operation.

The "copy once" restriction only allows for recording on the HDD or a DVD-RAM disc (perhaps in some cases DVD-RW[VR]). When the recording is transferred to DVD-RAM, the copy on the HDD is deleted.

"Copy once" will NOT allow recording or transferring to a DVD-R disc.

RG
post #104 of 357 Old 06-09-2006, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Ah, ok. It seems strange to allow the DVD-RAM, but not the DVD-R. Why do you suppose that is?

Can you still record direct to dvd-r for copy-once programs? Is the copy-mode of a program indicated somewhere beforehand, or is it only able to detect this after the fact?

post #105 of 357 Old 06-09-2006, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

The idea is to restrict "copy once" programming to VR recording, but not video recording. This complies with the CPRM (Content Protection for Recordable Media) requirements.

Here's a section from the manual for my Panasonic E-500 DVD recorder.

For recording to the HDD: "You can record digital broadcasts that allow One time only recording. You can transfer (dub) a recorded title to a CPRM compatible DVD-RAM; however, the title is erased from the HDD."

For recording to a DVD-RAM: "You can record digital broadcasts that allow One time only recording when using CPRM compatible discs (i.e., DVD-RAM). You cannot transfer (dub) a recorded title (to a DVD-R)."

You cannot record copy once programming on a DVD-R.

It's all about copy protection...the wave of the future.

RG
post #106 of 357 Old 06-09-2006, 10:17 PM

had my cable box on with recorder turned off for 48 hours now and still nothing loaded. i have it wired with rf into cable box, rf cable box out to recorder in, rf recorder out to tv. i can see the channels on my cable box changing indicating it's searching, even with the tv on the channels change. can't even watch tv while this goes on
post #107 of 357 Old 06-10-2006, 12:02 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm guessing dvd-r doesn't support the copy-once flag, so that is why they make it so you cannot record the program to dvd-r, even though it still would be "once". They know once the program is on the dvd-r, then it will be open season, which would circumvent the whole objective of "copy-once" mode. Does that make sense, or is it still not quite accurate?

post #108 of 357 Old 06-10-2006, 12:36 AM
AVS Special Member

That's the conclusion I came to as well. Although ripping something off DVD-RAM is just about as easy as DVD-R.
post #109 of 357 Old 06-10-2006, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hanky View Post

I'm guessing dvd-r doesn't support the copy-once flag, so that is why they make it so you cannot record the program to dvd-r, even though it still would be "once". They know once the program is on the dvd-r, then it will be open season, which would circumvent the whole objective of "copy-once" mode. Does that make sense, or is it still not quite accurate?

You are correct. DVD-R is not compliant with CPRM, and therefore "copy once" recording to DVD-R is prohibited.

And yes, programs can be ripped from DVD-RAM to the HDD of a computer and then to DVD-R, but also copy-protected commercial DVDs can also be ripped to HDD on a computer. These prohibitions were developed to prevent easy copying of copyright protected material.

RG
post #110 of 357 Old 06-10-2006, 10:14 PM

still no tvgos WTF how have you guys connected yours? right now i would like to keep my dvr cable box hooked up to record the programs i have on there. after that i will have just a digital cable box to record directly to the hdd instead of my current dvr cable box
post #111 of 357 Old 06-13-2006, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgazzara View Post

And yes, programs can be ripped from DVD-RAM to the HDD of a computer and then to DVD-R, but also copy-protected commercial DVDs can also be ripped to HDD on a computer.

How do you rip copy protected material off a DVD-RAM? I have no trouble with unprotected material but I don't have any luck with protected. Please help!

Thanks
post #112 of 357 Old 06-13-2006, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't think a DVD-RAM will be copy-protected, certainly not in the same way as a commercial DVD is protected (with CSS). There may be a "copy-never" flag on associated with the content, but that shouldn't keep a PC-based application from getting at the raw video. Just guessing here though since I've never really dealt with DVD-RAM (I use DVD-RW when I want to move something from DVD Recorder to PC).
post #113 of 357 Old 06-14-2006, 05:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawbros View Post

How do you rip copy protected material off a DVD-RAM? I have no trouble with unprotected material but I don't have any luck with protected. Please help!

Thanks

There are several programs that will take the video off a DVD-RAM and burn it to DVD-R, but I have not used them. Do a search and you will find many posts about that very subject.

RG
post #114 of 357 Old 06-15-2006, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgazzara View Post

There are several programs that will take the video off a DVD-RAM and burn it to DVD-R, but I have not used them. Do a search and you will find many posts about that very subject.

Yeah, I know that. They only work with normal unprotected material, not protected material. Has anyone tried with success?
post #115 of 357 Old 06-15-2006, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

As I mentioned in my replay, I'm pretty sure those programs don't care if there is some flag set somewhere that says Copy Never on a DVD-RAM, the MPEG files can be easily retrieved. Only DVD Recorders pay attention to such flags. But no I have not tried it personally.
post #116 of 357 Old 06-15-2006, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

What he said...

RG
post #117 of 357 Old 06-18-2006, 10:00 AM

Can anyone tell me how the rd-xs35 is better then the xs34? Seems to me all the features are identical. The only thing I can think of is that the 35 supports satellite now, but other then that everything else at least as far as HDD and software options is the same.

Thanks,

Rob
post #118 of 357 Old 06-18-2006, 10:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgn2000 View Post

Can anyone tell me how the rd-xs35 is better then the xs34? Seems to me all the features are identical. The only thing I can think of is that the 35 supports satellite now, but other then that everything else at least as far as HDD and software options is the same.

Thanks,

Rob

The RD-XS34 costs less, looks better, has better case construction and more buttons on the front panel. Otherwise they are identical.
post #119 of 357 Old 06-20-2006, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkart View Post

As I mentioned in my replay, I'm pretty sure those programs don't care if there is some flag set somewhere that says Copy Never on a DVD-RAM, the MPEG files can be easily retrieved. Only DVD Recorders pay attention to such flags. But no I have not tried it personally.

Well, I have tried and the flags do affect. Thanks for your input.
post #120 of 357 Old 06-20-2006, 02:32 AM
AVS Special Member

So you cannot read the files on a DVD-RAM that is flagged as Copy-Never? Interesting. It would seem you know more about it than me. Sorry I couldn't help you.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page