Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 357 Old 01-02-2007, 12:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbolt30 View Post

I got a quick question about the Toshiba DVD Recorders. Can you just use any DVD media to record with or does it have to be a specific brand? The reason why I'm asking is because someone said with the RD-XS55 you needed specific media brand.

It will only record onto -R/-RW media. I've heard Toshiba's are fussy with cheap media. I've used Maxell, Imation, Verbatim with no problems.

TG

EDIT: Also used Fuji and HP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 357 Old 01-02-2007, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toronto_Geek View Post

It will only record onto -R/-RW media. I've heard Toshiba's are fussy with cheap media. I've used Maxell, Imation, Verbatim with no problems.

TG

TDK, Sony and Maxell works in mine so far. I have the 35 though.

"Sometimes if we keep our eyes and ears open, we may be surpised at what wisdom we may gain!"
post #183 of 357 Old 01-05-2007, 01:09 PM

I purchased the unit on boxing day and love the machine. The only complaint I have is that I currently have my satellite running on input line 3. The issue I have with this is that I now have to turn on the unit to watch the satellite. Is there a way to get around this.

Thanks!!
post #184 of 357 Old 01-05-2007, 02:02 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Get some "Y" adapters?

post #185 of 357 Old 01-05-2007, 02:29 PM

I posted this in another thread, but I was wondering if its possible to somehow turn off the fan on the RD-XS35 when its on standby? The noise is kinda annoying especially when I'm trying to sleep and I feel like I'm wasting energy when its still running even on standby.

Otherwise are there any other HDD recorders that do shut off more completely in standby mode?
post #186 of 357 Old 01-05-2007, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colargo View Post

I posted this in another thread, but I was wondering if its possible to somehow turn off the fan on the RD-XS35 when its on standby? The noise is kinda annoying especially when I'm trying to sleep and I feel like I'm wasting energy when its still running even on standby.

Otherwise are there any other HDD recorders that do shut off more completely in standby mode?

That was the exact reason I didn't buy one. I wanted it for the bedroom so for me that was a deal breaker. I went with the pioneer 640 (no tVGOS) but it's dead silent when off and still pretty quiet when on. I got lucky, got it as an open box for $229 CDN.... so far it's been a great machine.
post #187 of 357 Old 01-05-2007, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

I posted this with regards to fan noise. Can anybody else post their experience please.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post9368351
post #188 of 357 Old 01-05-2007, 07:11 PM

Quote:

The XS35 has the fan running on standby mode because it does downloads for the TVGOS while the unit is off. I assume that unite without the TVGOS would be less likely to have a standby fan.

Also the standby power usage is quite high. I love my TVGOS, so I don't mind paying for the power, and my fan is fairly quiet.

TG
post #189 of 357 Old 01-05-2007, 07:40 PM

Quote:

The XS35 has the fan running on standby mode because it does downloads for the TVGOS while the unit is off. I assume that unite without the TVGOS would be less likely to have a standby fan.

Also the standby power usage is quite high. I love my TVGOS, so I don't mind paying for the power, and my fan is fairly quiet.

TG

That really sucks. So far I like this unit in terms of recording off the TV. The PQ of the recordings look damn good.

But the constant fan on is really annoying at nights. And trying to be as environmentally friendly as I can, its bothersome that this unit has to be running 24/7. I mean does it really have to be on all the time to receive TVGOS info? Is the download that slow and timeconsuming??

I'm pretty torn as to what to do because of this. If this unit turned off when I wasn't using it like all my other machines did, I'd definitely keep this recorder.
post #190 of 357 Old 01-05-2007, 07:55 PM

Quote:

That really sucks. So far I like this unit in terms of recording off the TV. The PQ of the recordings look damn good.

But the constant fan on is really annoying at nights. And trying to be as environmentally friendly as I can, its bothersome that this unit has to be running 24/7. I mean does it really have to be on all the time to receive TVGOS info? Is the download that slow and timeconsuming??

I'm pretty torn as to what to do because of this. If this unit turned off when I wasn't using it like all my other machines did, I'd definitely keep this recorder.

TVGOS downloads are acheduled for 4 times a day and last for 3 hours. How much heat is created, and if the unit actually needs a fan while in standby are not questions that i can answer. My guess is that the unit has been over engineered, meaning that it will be able to function in closed environments (like some people have their equipment in while in standby).

The fan noise on my unit is fairly low, so its not an issue for me. The only problem i have is how long the fan motor will last. I will have to wait and see on that.

TG
post #191 of 357 Old 01-05-2007, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

The fan on my RD-KX50 shuts off whenever I power down the unit. I have no guide.

Is your experience the same?

If you have a guide feature. Does the fan on the unit continue to run when you power the unit off?
post #192 of 357 Old 01-05-2007, 08:24 PM

Quote:

TVGOS downloads are acheduled for 4 times a day and last for 3 hours. How much heat is created, and if the unit actually needs a fan while in standby are not questions that i can answer. My guess is that the unit has been over engineered, meaning that it will be able to function in closed environments (like some people have their equipment in while in standby).

The fan noise on my unit is fairly low, so its not an issue for me. The only problem i have is how long the fan motor will last. I will have to wait and see on that.

TG

So its scheduled 4 times a day, does this mean the unit has to hit all 4 of those download times or can it just hit any one of them and get all the TVGOS info? Because if all you need is any one of them, then why can't it just do it once a day for a few hours and then turn off to lessen wear and tear and lower energy usage?

And even if you do have to download the info 4 times a day and it averages 3 hours per download, why can't it powerdown the other 12 hours when it doesn't have to download info? Guess I should ask Toshiba huh?

As for the fan noise, in my unit its not terribly loud really, but I can definitely hear it quite clearly when I'm trying to sleep. Maybe its because my ears are sensitive to even minor noises and they always perk up when they detect something out of the ordinary. Who knows?
post #193 of 357 Old 01-05-2007, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Maybe its because my ears are sensitive to even minor noises and they always perk up when they detect something out of the ordinary. Who knows?

Well we are rocking to Jethro Tull live at the Isle of Wight right now. Perhaps.

circa 1970
post #194 of 357 Old 01-05-2007, 08:50 PM

Quote:

So its scheduled 4 times a day, does this mean the unit has to hit all 4 of those download times or can it just hit any one of them and get all the TVGOS info? Because if all you need is any one of them, then why can't it just do it once a day for a few hours and then turn off to lessen wear and tear and lower energy usage?

And even if you do have to download the info 4 times a day and it averages 3 hours per download, why can't it powerdown the other 12 hours when it doesn't have to download info? Guess I should ask Toshiba huh?

As for the fan noise, in my unit its not terribly loud really, but I can definitely hear it quite clearly when I'm trying to sleep. Maybe its because my ears are sensitive to even minor noises and they always perk up when they detect something out of the ordinary. Who knows?

I think it just needs one, except for when initially populating the TVGOS. As for the power down question. How exactly does it know to turn itself on if its "OFF". Yes, it should be possible to have another device that will turn things "ON", but i assume its either beyond the Technology Toshiba has, or its just not worth it.

As for you noise issue, I would suggest one solution would be plugging your device into a power bar and turning off the power bar at night. Now, if you want to record stuff while you are sleeping (which is much more noisy than the fan) or if you will forget to turn it on in the morning, I would have to suggest a good pair of earplugs.

TG
post #195 of 357 Old 01-05-2007, 09:26 PM

I do have a question, I have the RD-XS35 but I am getting annoyed as everytime i turn it on it flicks my widescreen TV into 4:3 mode, so I need to re-enable the widescreen mode. With the Pioneer 640 does it allow a Bell Expressvu Satellite? Because if it does I may switch over to that one. Any comments would be great! Thanks!
post #196 of 357 Old 01-06-2007, 08:13 PM

I understand the need to conserve energy, and I realize the power consumption in standby is greater than any other manufacturer reports, but consider the following.

The Toshiba RD-XS35 consumes 35W when operational, 17.1W while in standby with the front display on, 15.1W in standby with the front display off (assuming you don't need the clock display, you could certainly turn this off and save 2W of power).

Now before you decide this is too much power consumption, take a look at the power consumed by the other manufacturer's DVRs

Panasonic DMREH55 (to my knowledge, this is one of the only other DVRs that uses TVGOS). When operational, the DMREH55 consumes 33W and 13.5W in standby.

Pioneer DVR640HS consumes 37W when operational and .29W in standby if the front panel display is off, but with no TVGOS, this explains the low standby power consumption.

Sony RDR-HX730 consumes 40W when operational. Standby power consumption numbers are not available, but you can assume it is low since it has no TVGOS and a thermally activated cooling fan.

LG LRM-519 consumes 65W when operational. Standby power consumption numbers are not available.

Philips DVDR3455H has the lowest operational power consumption at 28W and < 3.0W when in standby. No TVGOS explains the low standby power consumption.

So what are the options? Another DVR? Not so fast!
I've read reviews and personal accounts both here and elsewhere. Add my own experience with the RD-XS35 so far, and I'd say there isn't another unit out there with as many features and with PQ as good, for the mere $250 CAD I paid for a brand new unit.

I was almost certain I wanted the Sony RDR-HX730 until I found out it can't save the timeslipped video. The Pioneer DVR640HS (to my knowledge) can't pause live TV, a deal breaker for me. The Panasonic DMREH55 is out of my price range and the others are reported to have poor picture quality, poor functioning timeslip modes, poor editing features, and bad customer support.

The RD-XS35 is a great unit. It has a steep learning curve, but now that I know how to use it, the features are really worthwhile. Picture quality is excellent, timeslip works better than expected and the price I got was excellent.

Is the fan annoying? Well, yes and no. I don't hear it when watching TV, but I don't care for it when I'm sitting in a quiet room reading. In theory, a firmware update could correct that, so that when the unit is off and the hard drive has spun down, the fan shuts off. If the unit is not receiving updates to TVGOS, this should in theory be possible. However, hardware design could limit the possibilities.

In terms of power consumption, I never turn mine off. My reasoning is that, it is unlikely it is ever consuming more that 20W when I'm not using it. The reason I say this is, I have a Bell ExpressVu satellite receiver connected via S-Video, so TVGOS is never updating anything. I set the HDD to spin down after five minutes of inactivity, so it's unlikely once the HDD is not spinning that very much power is being consumed. It's certainly not consuming 34W at that point.

Fact is, in the greater scheme of things, this unit is not really consuming much power at all, even when on. Lights left on in unoccupied rooms, old and inefficient refrigerators & freezers, and various other appliances running in unoccupied rooms of your house consume a lot more energy than a DVR.
post #197 of 357 Old 01-06-2007, 08:25 PM

Well put TORES i agree 100%.

TG

PS - That was the best 1st post I've seen on any forum
post #198 of 357 Old 01-06-2007, 09:23 PM

Thanks.
post #199 of 357 Old 01-06-2007, 09:52 PM

I'm still within my 30 days with my pioneer 640 so clarification please.

Does the xs35 automatically record the current channel? from the above post it kind of sounded like it but when I read the manual online it sounded like it worked very similar to the pioneer.

With the pioneer you have to begin recording the channel manually, but you can then use 'chase play' to watch the currently recording channel, with full transport capabilities. It's only 1 extra click of the remote, but I wish it worked automatically like the DVR on my other tv.

I thought the toshiba worked he same way, they just call it timeslip.

Was I mistaken, does it have a record buffer that's cleared and a new recording started on a channel change? just like a DVR?

This is the most important issue for me, s hopefully someone can understand my rambling and confirm the functionality of the toshiba xs35.

thanks.
post #200 of 357 Old 01-06-2007, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedge View Post

I'm still within my 30 days with my pioneer 640 so clarification please.

Does the xs35 automatically record the current channel? from the above post it kind of sounded like it but when I read the manual online it sounded like it worked very similar to the pioneer.

With the pioneer you have to begin recording the channel manually, but you can then use 'chase play' to watch the currently recording channel, with full transport capabilities. It's only 1 extra click of the remote, but I wish it worked automatically like the DVR on my other tv.

I thought the toshiba worked he same way, they just call it timeslip.

Was I mistaken, does it have a record buffer that's cleared and a new recording started on a channel change? just like a DVR?

This is the most important issue for me, s hopefully someone can understand my rambling and confirm the functionality of the toshiba xs35.

thanks.

When you are watching TV, you can press the "Timeslip" button and pause live TV. No recording needed. Recording stops when you press "Timeslip". Recorder prompts you if you want to save the Timeslipped program.

TG
post #201 of 357 Old 01-06-2007, 10:12 PM

ok, well that's pretty much the same functionality as the pioneer... just named differently. Just substitute the record button for the timeslip button.

I know a couple other models, such as the phillips do act more like a DVR... you'd think that funcionality would be more common.
post #202 of 357 Old 01-06-2007, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedge View Post

ok, well that's pretty much the same functionality as the pioneer... just named differently. Just substitute the record button for the timeslip button.

I know a couple other models, such as the phillips do act more like a DVR... you'd think that funcionality would be more common.

The Phillips DOES NOT have chase play. I did not know how important this was until I returned my LG and got my Toshiba. I will never buy a DVD recorder with out the chase play feature.

In your circumstance you got a great deal. Your Pioneer is pretty much equal to the Toshiba with a couple minor differences (for some TVGOS is minor - I happen to love the thing). I would stick with your Pioneer if I were you (and I'm guessing there are a few people posting in the Pio threads that would say the same thing). As for me, I am still in my 30 days ... and it would take a heck of a deal to get me to part with my XD35.

TG
post #203 of 357 Old 01-06-2007, 11:09 PM

hedge, I'm in the same position you are. I have an RD-XS35, so I can comment on how it works, but I only read the manual for the Pioneer DVR640HS. Perhaps I don't understand how it really works, so you could help me out with that.

If I press record on the remote or the unit records based on a timer, I can press "Timeslip" on the remote and enter into "Chaseplay" to see the beginning or any prior point of the recording while it is still being recorded. You can also view previously recorded material. This is similar on the Pioneer 640 as is my understanding.

What is different, and do correct me if I'm wrong, is the "Timeslip" function which is similar to "Pause Live TV" on other manufacturers devices. This is not exactly the same as just pressing record and entering "Chaseplay", but similar. The difference is, an automatic time buffer is added when you press "Timeslip". So there is no need to return to the beginning of your recording in order to enter "Chaseplay". When you press pause in Timeslip mode, the image on the screen pauses, but the recording continues until you press Timeslip again. When you press pause, you can scan backward to the point where you pressed the Timeslip button or forward (to within 10 seconds of the live broadcast).

If I were to just press the record button and then the pause button, the recording would pause. However, if I press "Timeslip" instead of record, I can pause what's on TV, but the recording will continue. I do not have to remember to enter "Chaseplay" and I do not have to view from the beginning and scan forward to the current point before pressing pause. Again, if I'm misunderstanding the manual for the 640, please do help me understand how it really works.

The Sony and the Philips start recording immediately when you turn them on. This is more TiVo-like, but has it's own disadvantages. The HDD is always active when these units are powered on, so failure is likely to occur sooner. In addition, paused TV content on these recorders cannot be saved permanently.

I look at it this way. The RD-XS35 essentially can pause live TV from the moment you press the "Timeslip" button, but cannot return to the beginning of a program you did not anticipate a desire to return to the beginning of, if that makes sense. I find this quite acceptable, since the ability to save a "Timeslipped" program is much more worthwhile.
post #204 of 357 Old 01-07-2007, 06:22 AM

I think you have it nailed. With the Pioneer, once you are recording you have to press play to restart from the beginning (or select it from your recorded list). You can then skip ahead. It does allow you to completely catch up. When you are done though you need to press stop recording and the recording is left in your recorded items so you have to delete it manually.

It sounds like the Toshiba has the functionality more refined. Sounds like the XS35 is a good machine. I think I'd be happy with either.

For me though, I don't think it's worth returning the Pioneer. I missed the boxing day sale on the Toshiba, although I see it at BB for $299CDN now, and I'm using it in a bedroom so I need it quiet. I don't miss the TVGOS, the cable box hooked up to it has a guide system anyway.

I think I'd still rather have it record all the time, I think the extra work for the Hard drive is overstated. My DVR cable box (motorolla 6412) is always recording and I haven't had any issues with the hard drive. I guess best of both worlds would be a configuration option.
post #205 of 357 Old 01-08-2007, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plplplpl View Post

Get some "Y" adapters?

Thanks for the suggestion but have a question, is the "Y" adapter meant for audio only. What would happen if I split the video feed.

Also, would I get any degradation in the video quality.

Thanks!!!!!!
post #206 of 357 Old 01-09-2007, 02:37 PM

can anyone please tell me if with this toshiba, you can set chapter thumbnails on a recording on the hard drive, and still have them when you copy it to a dvd?? thanks for any help on this?
post #207 of 357 Old 01-09-2007, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by techboss View Post

I am currently testing a record on the specific channel MC1 (Movie Central). I will report sucess/failure on burning on DVD-R after testing later tonight.

Hi, Did you have success ? ANyone else have the blocking problem ?
post #208 of 357 Old 01-11-2007, 08:32 PM

I'm going to buy one or the other. I've basically read everything I could about both on this forum. Can anyone give me a simplified version (it's ok if you're biased toward one or the other) of what the difference(s) is/are between the two? I have Directv and don't really care about TV Guide functions.

The difference I've noticed are that Toshiba has better editing functions while Pioneer it will play/record in both + and -

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
post #209 of 357 Old 01-12-2007, 01:06 AM

That's a pretty accurate assessment.

Toshiba has a Timeslip function, Pioneer does not.
Pioneer handles both +R and -R, Toshiba only accepts -R
The fan runs all the time on the Toshiba, it doesn't on the Pioneer

Best way to find out more is to download both PDF manuals and read them as if you have just bought that equipment and you are trying to learn how to use it. That's how I made the decision on the Toshiba XS35. I read 6 manuals in their entirety before I made a decision.

Does the Toshiba work exactly the way I would like it to? No. None of them do (except TiVo which wasn't in my budget range). However, it does do more things that are important to me, better than any other, so I live with the fan noise. It's not horrible. Eventually I'll find a quieter fan and then it will be that much better.

Features I like (a few are common among all the DVRs)
+Timeslip (with an automatic prompt to save or discard recorded content before exiting Timeslip)
+Highspeed dub to HDD from unfinalized DVD/RW disks created on my Samsung DVD Recorder in DVD-Video format
+Easy editing once you learn the fairly complex menu structure
+Chaseplay during timer recording by using the Timeslip feature. This allows you to watch, rw, ff or pause what is currently being recorded from any point up to 10 seconds before real time. You are not forced to go back to the beginning and then scan forward like on the Pioneer and others. Recording stops automatically at the scheduled time and notifies you on-screen, but does not interrupt Chaseplay.
+TOSLINK audio output
+Easy to use content menu (Toshiba's content menu, not the crappy TVGOS "Recordings" menu)
+Individual scheduled recordings can be enabled/disabled (can't do that on my Samsung DVD Recorder)
post #210 of 357 Old 01-14-2007, 09:49 AM

I've read all pages of this topic and I still have questions. I have problems getting the TV guide to set up. I have left it turned off every night and all day while I am at work for a week, with it only being on in the evenings so I can watch TV. I still get NO Listings. At this point I am able to manually program for a timed recording but I am unable to access my other input lines to record from other devices. Will this correct if the TV guide ever loads? Also, is there a way to manually set a timed recording without the TV Guide being set up. The only instructions I can find say go to the schedule part of the TV Guide screen. If I reset the TV Guide back to nothing where I can record from my VCR I no longer get the TV Guide screen, so I can not get to the schedule recording screen. What am I missing here? My cable is through Comcast and it also has On Demand programing. I have watched the DVR scan through the channels trying to set up the listings and have on 3 different days seen it hang up on one of the On Demand channels and not go forward. It starts watching a movie. What's up with this? Any help would be appreciated.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page