Sony RDR-GX330 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 39 Old 04-17-2006, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I don't recall seeing mention of this anywhere else. The Sony RDR-GX330 DVD Recorder is now up on the Sony web site and available for pre-order.

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE...D_DVDRecorders

Looks like they added a S-Video output back to the rear of the unit that got removed in the GX315.

P.S. Here is the manual: http://www.docs.sony.com/release/RDRGX330.pdf

According to the manul it looks like they have brought back the ability to set the 16:9 flag like was in the GX300 but was removed in the GX315. It now works up through the ESP (3hr) recording mode for DVD-Rs and DVD-RWs.

Looks like this new GX330 may gain back the respect that GX300 owners/fans lost for the GX315. Perhaps the GX315 was a disaster for Sony that they're trying to correct with the GX330.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 04-17-2006, 09:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

While I was poking around the list of manuals for model #s on Sony's site I noticed an entry for a RDR-HX730 but there is no manual yet. I would guess this is the successor to the current RDR-HX715.
post #3 of 39 Old 04-17-2006, 09:49 PM

Liked: 10
Not to be a thread crapper, but I don't see where its up to the same level of features and compatibility as the new Panasonic ES15.

This Sony is $50-$70 more money for less machine.

- no Flexible recording
- no -R DL support
- DVD-RAM support
- nothing I see supported that's not on the ES15

I have a Sony GX315, and a Panasonic ES15.

Sony never has fixed the DV-in bug on the GX315 despite much communication.

I wouldn't even consider this machine.
post #4 of 39 Old 04-17-2006, 09:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Can't please everyone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kents View Post

- nothing I see supported that's not on the ES15

GX330 will let you set the 16:9 flag when recording which is useful if you have a STB like the D* HDTivo HR10-250 that doesn't set it.
post #5 of 39 Old 05-30-2006, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Does the Panasonic ES15 allow you to record to +R/DL discs?
post #6 of 39 Old 05-30-2006, 11:32 AM

Purchased at Best Buy here in St. Louis. I'm very happy with this machine. Had to return the Panasonic ES20, because it would not record my MiniDV videos in the 16:9 format. The guy at Best Buy was nice enough to look through the manual to verify that the GX330 will capture 16:9. I have had no problems with the DV input so far.

That said, this is my first DVD recorder, so I do not have anything to compare it to. However, I am very happy with the picture quality (fairly picky person here).
post #7 of 39 Old 05-30-2006, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by uzun View Post

Does the Panasonic ES15 allow you to record to +R/DL discs?

Yes, but in 2 parts. You must first finalize the first layer, before you can record on the 2nd layer, thus it is not contiguous.

On the GX330, I read that people had issues with the GX315 because it was obeying the copy-protection flags from PPV movies and even Directivos.

I'm assuming this is still present on the GX330, no?
post #8 of 39 Old 05-30-2006, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

I would assume all the copy guard is in place on all new DVD-Recorders. Even the older S-Video devices that handled macrovision for archiving your VHS stuff to DVD seems to handle the Copy Guard from cable boxes, in my experience.

I'm going to try a 330 even though as an owner of the 315 I'm not too happy. Here's hoping the 330 is a lot better. The 315 was just so clunky to use, it just wasnt worth it in the long run.
post #9 of 39 Old 05-30-2006, 02:57 PM

Maybe it depends on the cable company, but my GX330 has recorded every program, including on-demand movies.
post #10 of 39 Old 05-30-2006, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

I think it depends on the provider, but with Time Warner Cable I can't record HBO on a newer DVD Recorder unless I use some other device in between the box and the recorder. The other channels seem unaffected. Older DVD recorders are unaffected as well, they work fine with a direct connection.

Even if I just run the S-Video out of the cable box, over to a JVC VHS deck, then out into DVD-Recorder, it works. It seems only a direct connection between the cable box and the DVD-Recorder causes copy guard to be active.
post #11 of 39 Old 05-30-2006, 10:25 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Does the GX330 have a record pause button on its remote?

I can see that it has one on the remote for playback, but I couldn't tell from a picture that I've seen of its remote as to whether it includes the record pause button. I can see that it lacks one on the recorder.

nx211
post #12 of 39 Old 05-31-2006, 05:49 AM

Yes, it has both a record and stop record button on the remote, at the very bottom. You can also access the functions on screen during record mode.
post #13 of 39 Old 05-31-2006, 08:15 AM

Hold the phone. I purchased the GX330 last evening. Set it up today and low and behold the Pause will not work in RECORD.

I called Sony and the gal there verified that Pause does not function in RECORD on this model. I need that function badly so back this baby goes tonight.

Can someone tell me if the GX315 had Pause in RECORD? If I'm just doing simple tape to DVD-R conversion will that unit work for me?
post #14 of 39 Old 05-31-2006, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

The GX315 has a pause that functions during record, wow, that is a shocker. It really DOESNT work during record, how do you pause to skip commercials during a recording?

Looking at the manual for the GX330 from the Sony site, it does not indicate you can PAUSE during recording, but it's such a basic feature how could it be omitted, that makes NO sense.

You certainly can pause the GX315 during recording, using the pause button, then hitting pause again to resume recording, but its not a great recorder. I was hoping the 330 would be better but it sounds like it's missing a very very basic feature.
post #15 of 39 Old 05-31-2006, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uzun View Post

Looking at the manual for the GX330 from the Sony site, it does not indicate you can PAUSE during recording, but it's such a basic feature how could it be omitted, that makes NO sense.

Wait until next year when the next generation (GX 340??) doesn't have a tray open/close button on either the remote or the front panel. Hmmmm......
post #16 of 39 Old 05-31-2006, 12:47 PM

I've come to the conclusion that the only way to be able to provide a DVD-R that I can guarantee with any certainty will work on ALL players and computers is to author them.
post #17 of 39 Old 05-31-2006, 04:36 PM

Will the 315's remote work with the 330?
post #18 of 39 Old 05-31-2006, 07:44 PM

Never mind about the remote. I just took that SOB back. I have been waiting this unit for some time beccause of the bad reviews of the 315s. I had the original RDR-GX7 ( you could definitely pause while in record mode!)but sold it on Ebay a couple of years ago thinking that something better would come about.
Does anybody know if there will be a new 700 series DVD recorder from Sony this year?
Maybe I'll wait for that.
post #19 of 39 Old 07-28-2006, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterspal View Post

Hold the phone. I purchased the GX330 last evening. Set it up today and low and behold the Pause will not work in RECORD.

I wanted a DVD Recorder until HD-DVD recorders arrive (no BluRay please). But this clunker has no PAUSE RECORD option. Way to go Sony, dopes, for wasting my time, having to return this unit (did not check AVS comments ).

What happened to the days when you could go out, buy a Sony box, plug it in, and marvel at the latest technology ? This thing does have styling elements more like LG or Samsung then Sony DVD players such as the NS775V or the NS90V, great little players, small footprint, decent case. I was willing to live with the styling but no pause on record ??

Are these things made by Samsung, LG, or *gasp* some company like Orion ?

Walmartization Marches On .
post #20 of 39 Old 07-28-2006, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_1080p View Post

What happened to the days when you could go out, buy a Sony box, plug it in, and marvel at the latest technology ?

Those days disappeared a long time ago. Sony has been coasting on their reputation for years, but even that has long since worn thin. The 315 was made for them by Samsung..rumor has it that the 330 is made by Sony, but that is unconfirmed.

After a 10-year ban of Sony products, I broke down and bought a GX-300 and have been very pleased with it ever since. It appears that after the 300, Sony went back to producing overpriced junk. My ban is back on.
post #21 of 39 Old 07-28-2006, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffWld View Post

It appears that after the 300, Sony went back to producing overpriced junk. My ban is back on.

I've had a ban on higher priced Sony equipment, I guess the styling clues should have set off a flag on this one.

Still the players have done very well (but less than 1 year old). Time will tell.

What has surprised me the last few years is the outsourcing going on with company branded products, like the Sharp 32 made by Orion, etc. I had heard of rebadging of better products with cheaper brands, but not the reverse until recently. A bad trend indeed .
post #22 of 39 Old 07-28-2006, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

One other note to add:

When I had this unit the tuner did not seem to be up to Sony standards. The colors were washed out relative to the Sharp TV, and there was a surprising amount of "snow". I have seen exactly this on a small flat panel Samsung I have but never on a Sony product.

Seems like a rebadge ...
post #23 of 39 Old 08-12-2006, 04:44 PM

I was on the verge of buying the SONY RDR-GX330, mostly based on user reviews claiming top quality picture and sound and especially the chase recording feature. Then I started hearing rumors that you can't pause in record mode, which I now have confirmed to be the case by the posts on this forum. Does anyone know of a good quality DVD recorder that has BOTH pause in record and chase recording?
post #24 of 39 Old 10-08-2006, 01:35 PM
Advanced Member

While I can appreciate the frustration of those here w/ their hopes bent on universal pause/record (it seems it works in +RW in VR mode)...I'm still happy w/ my 330.

Why? Great PQ and the ability to reliably set 16:9 flags. These features set it apart from many/most recorders out there. Primarily, I want to archive movies I've recorded in HD on my E* DVRs, and my GX-7 has served me well for years. Really excellent PQ downconverts. I also find its ability to work w/ +RW and -RW, as well as its iLink/Firewire port for DV dubbing to be necessary features. Now, my 330 offers me the same performance/quality on my bedroom DVR...at half the price I paid for my GX-7.

I'd say that's very nice indeed.

Granted, I don't rely of on-the-fly editing out of commercials. I want top notch PQ, and if I love a series that much, I'll spring for a boxed copy. If not, it was a temp recording anyway. My DVR, my Slingbox and my PSP have replaced much of what I used to use my DVD recorder for when it comes to temp/time-shift viewing.

Champion of truth, beauty and misunderstood giant killer robots.
post #25 of 39 Old 11-30-2006, 05:29 PM

Like most of the other big electronics manufacturers, Sony is in bed with the music/movie/television industry; not to mention they have studios of their own. They don't want you PAUSING to skip commercials because they can make more money assuring their advertisers that you will be watching their commercials. Not to mention they won't be sued by the RIAA or MPAA. Another example of how companies today put business interests before their customers' interests--freakin' disgusting!! I would never buy this product & I suggest you don't either.
post #26 of 39 Old 12-01-2006, 05:30 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Any reason not to buy a new GX300 off of Ebay instead?

jdg
post #27 of 39 Old 01-26-2007, 12:06 PM

The statement "you can't pause in record mode" for GX330 needs slight clarification.

The GX330 recorder itself has the capability of pausing in record mode. However, its remote does not have the button for it. I have successfully used the "Pause Rec" button from the GX300 remote (albeit virtual remote).

See my post in the thread titled "Sony GX330 Rec Pause Exist! " (sic, verbatim) regarding how I have been able to accomplish this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwindows View Post

I was on the verge of buying the SONY RDR-GX330, mostly based on user reviews claiming top quality picture and sound and especially the chase recording feature. Then I started hearing rumors that you can't pause in record mode, which I now have confirmed to be the case by the posts on this forum. Does anyone know of a good quality DVD recorder that has BOTH pause in record and chase recording?

post #28 of 39 Old 08-03-2007, 07:31 PM

I just purchased a Sony RDR-GX330 recorder after reading all the good reviews, but after hooking it up it will only record and play in b&w. It is connected to an HD cable box from cablevision. I tried every way to connect and sony tech support was useless.
post #29 of 39 Old 08-03-2007, 10:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by triex View Post

I just purchased a Sony RDR-GX330 recorder after reading all the good reviews, but after hooking it up it will only record and play in b&w. It is connected to an HD cable box from cablevision. I tried every way to connect and sony tech support was useless.

For someone to help here you will have to explain more about how it is hooked up.

I can say that a green jack output (one of the component video jacks, others being red and blue), when connected to a composite video input (a yellow jack) will give black and white video only.

I suggest you look again at your connections.

Dave
post #30 of 39 Old 08-03-2007, 10:25 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Also, green and blue cables are pretty easy to mix up, esp. in a dark place like behind a TV or equip. rack.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)