New RCA DRC8052N?? - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 227 Old 02-21-2007, 12:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question about the 8052 DVD editing capabilities. Reading through the manual it looks like you can configure chapters to auto-set every 5 mins/10 mins/etc. I didn't see any way to manually insert chapter references.

In addition to the DVD/TV upconverting, I was looking to use this to transfer DVI tapes from my camcorder to DVD. This would be most beneficial if I could set chapter markers for the purpose of editing (hiding unwanted segments). However, if the only chapters are at every 5 minute marker, that doesn't make it all that compelling.

Have I missed something in the manual?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 227 Old 02-21-2007, 12:48 PM

The editing capabilities seem pretty basic, but I haven't used them extensively. I'll see what options there are in the Chapter Menu and report back at some point (can't guarantee when) and post about the capabilities to erase/combine/rename/set new chapters, etc. The manual is totally lacking in the info on this subject.
post #183 of 227 Old 02-21-2007, 06:57 PM

Well, the editing is pretty basic. You can set the chapter intervals based on time only, as has been stated, in increments as small as 5 minutes. In the chapter menu, you can combine any two adjacent chapters, i.e., create chapters in any increment of whatever time your chapter record length was set to. Or, you can combine everything into one big chapter. And, you can rename each chapter to whatever you want, and hide/unhide any chapters you want, and that is about it.

Doesn't seem to be any ability to arbitrarily assign chapters to a certain amount of recording time/content while you are viewing it or anything advanced like you get with a computer video editing package.
post #184 of 227 Old 02-24-2007, 12:55 AM

I just bought this at wal-mart because my old DVD player broke. After seeing that their only dvd players worth buying were aroudn 60-70 dollars i turned around and started browsing the dvd recorders. Picked up this DRC 8052N for $98!! I jumped on the deal, i have never owned a dvd recorder so hopefully this isn't too hard to get the hang of, and tips or pointers?
post #185 of 227 Old 02-24-2007, 01:05 AM

Sorry for the double post, but this is in response to Chaalie, I have been using Memorex DVD-R's and they seem to work great with this unit. What brands of DVD-R's should i steer clear of? Thanks!
post #186 of 227 Old 02-24-2007, 01:22 AM
Advanced Member

Ummmmmm...........Memorex and Maxell......
post #187 of 227 Old 02-24-2007, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctafun View Post

Sorry for the double post, but this is in response to Chaalie, I have been using Memorex DVD-R's and they seem to work great with this unit. What brands of DVD-R's should i steer clear of? Thanks!

I had problems with Staples and Imation PC burned DVD-R. The unit would recoginize it was a DVD-R but thought they were blank when they weren't.
post #188 of 227 Old 02-24-2007, 11:41 AM
Advanced Member

I would avoid Imation like the Plague. At this point I won't be using anything other than Verbatim MIT DVD-R and Taiyo Yuden MIJ DVD Blanks. I will use my MIJ Sonys that are TY manuf. as well.
post #189 of 227 Old 02-24-2007, 01:08 PM

Alright, i will be sure to avoid imation, i'll probably just stick to Memorex and Verbatim, those are the two I've always used..
post #190 of 227 Old 02-24-2007, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullOnShred View Post

I would avoid Imation like the Plague. At this point I won't be using anything other than Verbatim MIT DVD-R and Taiyo Yuden MIJ DVD Blanks. I will use my MIJ Sonys that are TY manuf. as well.

Blame the media all you want, however, I've never had a problem with Imation until I got the RCA 8052N. The unit, IMHO, is far too picky when it comes to media. Mine went back to Wally World. I'm still using a 3 year old Liteon with no media issues...the only problem with my Liteon is that the disc tray doesn't like to open on the 1st attempt. The RCA was a good price so I thought WTF I might as well get one. I was highly disappointed in the RCA.
post #191 of 227 Old 03-02-2007, 12:51 PM

With the new requirements that all devices with tuners have ATSC tuners, what is the likelihood we see a version of the 8052 with both ATSC and NTSC tuners?
post #192 of 227 Old 03-02-2007, 03:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaalie View Post

Blame the media all you want, however, I've never had a problem with Imation until I got the RCA 8052N. The unit, IMHO, is far too picky when it comes to media. Mine went back to Wally World. I'm still using a 3 year old Liteon with no media issues...the only problem with my Liteon is that the disc tray doesn't like to open on the 1st attempt. The RCA was a good price so I thought WTF I might as well get one. I was highly disappointed in the RCA.

The RCA is doing you a favor by rejecting the Imation garbage prior to burning.
post #193 of 227 Old 03-02-2007, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullOnShred View Post

The RCA is doing you a favor by rejecting the Imation garbage prior to burning.

Everyone's a comedian

Let me make this as clear as possible.

I was not using the 8052 to record to DVD-R. I was using it to >>PLAY<< DVD-R that I had burned in my PC. These were backups of commercial DVD Movies. Since I have a large number of DVD-R of all brands that have been recorded in my PC and only 40% of them would be correctly recognized as having content and play in the 8052 I returned it to Wally World. These discs play just fine in the other 5 DVD players/recorders and 3 PC's I have in my house.

For recording on the 8052 I would only have used DVD+RW to make backups from my DirecTV Tivo (I'm not into hacking the Tivo to rip stuff off its hard drive). I had no problems with the 8052 recording to DVD+RW (Memorex and Ridata brands).
post #194 of 227 Old 03-05-2007, 04:14 PM

Coasters

How is this at finalizing dvds. Other units I have read about prduce alot of coasters (dvds that dont work). I am looking to replace my Cyberhome 1600 that just died.
post #195 of 227 Old 03-05-2007, 04:33 PM

it has an option at the end if u want to finalize. seemed to work fine but didnt try using the finalized dvd in another dvd so cann't say for sure.
post #196 of 227 Old 03-08-2007, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrysherman View Post

I bought one of these things last week at walmart for $98. First thing I noticed was when connecting it to the direct cable analog line, and trying to "autoscan", all the channels were fuzzy and in black and white....However, if you autoscanned it using the "antenna" mode, the first 13 channels were clear and in color, but the rest, obviously were not found. Then I changed to another cable line (I have two coming out of the wall, split in the basement). The other one worked fine! No fuzzy b/w picture when autoscanned in cable mode. So, a week goes by, and all is well. Suddenly, the cable picture is fuzzy again. Neither cable input works.

I've been trying to see if anyone has a workaround for this issue. My recently purchased 8052 does the same. I'm going to run to RS today and get a coax signal amplifier to see if a stronger signal helps at all.

* Coax from wall
* Splitter sending signal to RCA DRC8052N and Tivo Series 2
* Tivo signal is fine
* RCA is B&W on "cable" and clear on "antenna" (though antenna only gives me a dozen TV stations
post #197 of 227 Old 03-09-2007, 06:16 PM

I picked one up today. It came with a HDMI cable.

Can anyone explain how the edit process works. Can I record a 1 hour TV show. Then go back and edit OUT the commercials?

Thanks
post #198 of 227 Old 03-09-2007, 10:13 PM

Liked: 13
I experienced the same tuner problems as larrysherman and etrojan. The recorder only picked up half the cable channels with poor quality. Is this isolated or characteristic of this recorder-- a very poor tuner?
post #199 of 227 Old 03-11-2007, 06:14 AM

I've had a problem with the quality of the cable scanned channels with 8052 also. Since we only have basic analog cable service directly from the wall this is not an issue for us. All we get above 13 is public service and shopping channels. Although I have to admit that the NASA channel is neat sometimes but it is nothing I want to record and we get all our basic service channels if we don't turn the DVR on.

I've been wondering if it is possible that the signal from the cable service is overloading the tuner in which case maybe a signal attenuator rather than a signal booster might be the answer.

I'm not going to bother cheking because I'm happy with the 8052 output using antenna scan. It is just a thought in case someone wants to try an attenuator.

Wayne
post #200 of 227 Old 03-13-2007, 03:01 PM

I have two of these now, and one of them (the one I turn off and on a lot) doesn't seem to 'hold' the HDMI output resolution, even though the front panel display says it does.

The symptom I see is that when I have the unit acting as an SDTV signal upscaler (480i in over s-video - 1080i out on the HDMI), sometimes the SDTV on my plasma just doesn't look like it should, resolution-wise.

All I have to do to fix this is to use the HDMI button on the remote to cycle through all the lower resolutions and back to the 1080i setting, and all is well again.

This resolution-loss behavior doesn't seem to appear on the unit I use with my LCD HDTV. The unit hooked to this set is never turned off. It is set to the AV1 input and 1080i resolution and is on 24x7. Never gets hot and never has any issues.

Just thought I'd let you know in case any of you aren't seeing the great upscaling I find that this unit has when processing 480i SDTV in and setting the HDMI output to 1080i. You may need to cycle through the HDMI options to get it back in the groove.
post #201 of 227 Old 03-14-2007, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by etrojan View Post

I've been trying to see if anyone has a workaround for this issue. My recently purchased 8052 does the same. I'm going to run to RS today and get a coax signal amplifier to see if a stronger signal helps at all.

* Coax from wall
* Splitter sending signal to RCA DRC8052N and Tivo Series 2
* Tivo signal is fine
* RCA is B&W on "cable" and clear on "antenna" (though antenna only gives me a dozen TV stations

UPDATE: So I picked up a non-powered signal amplifier at RS, and it made the situation worse. Now instead of b&w pictures w/static after a "cable" scan, it loses almost all the signals. I'll swing back by RS and pick up a powered signal booster and an attenuator (as suggested above) to see which one MIGHT improve the situation.
post #202 of 227 Old 03-15-2007, 07:59 PM

Be careful. I sat on my remote the other night and unknowingly switched the HDMI select to 480i and also turned off the unit. When I turned it back on, there was no picture! I paniced for a few minutes. The front panel messages seemed to match the buttons I pushed, but no picture displayed on the set. I finally realized what was going on and reset it to a valid HDMI resolution. The 480i option is only there for the non-HDMI outputs, but they stuck it in the HDMI resolution rotation, which can lead to problems like the one I momentarily had.
post #203 of 227 Old 03-16-2007, 03:53 PM

I bought one of these today at WALMART for $98.87 plus tax in NC. Several stores were already out of stock and would not issue rainchecks. GET THEM WHILE THEY LAST.

It's also worth noting that Walmart doesn't offer any extended warranty coverage for this item. I used my Mastercard to recieve warranty manager benefits. Be sure to register your warranty with RCA within 10 days of your purchase to validate the warranty. Failing to register your warranty may not only void the RCA warranty but also the Mastercard Warranty Manager.

David.. "It must be weird to be normal"
post #204 of 227 Old 03-17-2007, 05:32 PM

I bought one of these today only because I went to walmart to get a cheap HDMI out upconverting dvd player for my new HDTV. The basic RCA upconverting DVD player was $70 with an HDMI cable. This one was $98 seemed to offer the same thing as the other one but added the DVD recording abilities. I figured what the heck for that price I may as well get this so that in a few months I am not wanting a DVD recorded as well.

Problem I have now is I don't really get how I am going to use this thing to be honest.

My Hitachi has two HDMI inputs. I have my HD cable DVR box with HDMI out going to the TV. I am new to all of this stuff but this is suppose to be the ideal method for connecting and getting the best quality picture possible.

Well then I have this new DVD player / recorder with HDMI out. The issue is getting a signal in from the cable box. I can do coax from the cable box to the recorder and then I guess HDMI out to TV?

The issue I seem to have is that in order to get a nice clean channel to the DVD recorder I have to go out from the cable box, but when I do that and then scan the channels within the DVD recorder it only sees one channel which is 4. I can change the channel which changes the channel on the cable box.

I really just dont get the best way to take advantage of this thing. Any thoughts or ideas?
post #205 of 227 Old 03-18-2007, 04:40 PM

What is the preferred media for this recorder?????

People keep talking about how finicky it is about media and I wanna buy some DVD's in bulk and I wanna go ahead and get some stuff that is known to work well in this recorder.

David.. "It must be weird to be normal"
post #206 of 227 Old 03-19-2007, 05:16 AM

If this is the wrong place for a post on the 8060, I apologize. After nearly a year of flawlessness, I think it has bit the dust unless there is something I am missing. The last couple times I have tried to record a movie, everything looks correct except there is nothing on the disc. The red light designating "record" is on and the display shows the 'wheel' turning. When I go to finalize the disc, the "bar" is blank like nothing has been recorded. I tried a recorded dvd and it won't play it either. Time for a new one? Any recommendations?
Thanks, Bear
post #207 of 227 Old 03-19-2007, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by etrojan View Post

UPDATE: So I picked up a non-powered signal amplifier at RS, and it made the situation worse. Now instead of b&w pictures w/static after a "cable" scan, it loses almost all the signals. I'll swing back by RS and pick up a powered signal booster and an attenuator (as suggested above) to see which one MIGHT improve the situation.

Any updates yet?
post #208 of 227 Old 03-19-2007, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adazzleman View Post

Any updates yet?

Not yet. Haven't made it back to RS to return the passive "amplifier" and pick up a powered one.
post #209 of 227 Old 03-26-2007, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rkf1ber View Post

I bought one of these today only because I went to walmart to get a cheap HDMI out upconverting dvd player for my new HDTV. The basic RCA upconverting DVD player was $70 with an HDMI cable. This one was $98 seemed to offer the same thing as the other one but added the DVD recording abilities. I figured what the heck for that price I may as well get this so that in a few months I am not wanting a DVD recorded as well.

Problem I have now is I don't really get how I am going to use this thing to be honest.

My Hitachi has two HDMI inputs. I have my HD cable DVR box with HDMI out going to the TV. I am new to all of this stuff but this is suppose to be the ideal method for connecting and getting the best quality picture possible.

Well then I have this new DVD player / recorder with HDMI out. The issue is getting a signal in from the cable box. I can do coax from the cable box to the recorder and then I guess HDMI out to TV?

The issue I seem to have is that in order to get a nice clean channel to the DVD recorder I have to go out from the cable box, but when I do that and then scan the channels within the DVD recorder it only sees one channel which is 4. I can change the channel which changes the channel on the cable box.

I really just dont get the best way to take advantage of this thing. Any thoughts or ideas?

I have a Dish system which has multiple outputs available on the tuner, and I use the s-video and stereo audio to feed the RCA. I could use the composite outputs as well, but s-video delivers beter quality. Whatever I have the receiver tuned to on the satellite/cable box is what is output over the composite/s-video outputs and what will be recorder on the unit's recorder.
post #210 of 227 Old 04-02-2007, 06:19 AM

Can anyone help with the editing process. Can commercials be cut out?
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page