New RCA DRC8052N?? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 227 Old 05-03-2006, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just in @ Walmart RCA DRC8052N for $149.87! Records DVD-R/RW+R/RW! Has DV, S-Video & AV IN on front panel! Plays DivX and maybe records DivX (DIVX VIDEO COMPRESSION ALLOWS MORE INFORMATION TO BE STORED ON A DVD)?!?! HDMI with HD up conversion! I googled the 8052 and got almost nothing?? Is this a model that's made just for Walmart? This appears to be a new model but I don't know if this is produced under a different brand? I'm trying to find a site with the owners manual! Below is some more info off a vendor's website.

* records from tv, camcorder or other video devices using dvd+r/rw or dvd-r/rw discs
* hdmi with hd up-conversion
* divx video compression allows more information to be stored on a dvd
* disc library with live preview stores a database of titles the user has recorded, making it easy to access previously recorded programs
* divx-certified plays back divx 5, 4, 3 & divx vod video content in compliance with divx-certified technical requirements
* front a/v input jacks
* interactive user interface
* includes remote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 227 Old 05-03-2006, 09:32 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm skeptical of the DivX recording capability. But it would be nice.
post #3 of 227 Old 05-04-2006, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter

bobkart,
Google DRC8052N and go to some of those websites. I know RCA is not known for it's quality, but this looks promising. Doesn't this mean it records in DivX: * divx video compression allows more information to be stored on a dvd?? This was right off a vendor's website.
post #4 of 227 Old 05-04-2006, 01:11 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I have this Player, I bought it because of its ability to play Divx and record on +-R, +-RW. I had a Toshiba DR5 before this but it used to hang a lot if I try to play some divx files, also Toshiba DR5 does not recognise +RW disks.

The RCA8052N is exactly like DR5, with the same menus and same options, I believe both these units are made by the same company, except 8052N also allows you to record on +RW and can play back those.

So far I am happy with it. It does 480p,720p,10180i over HDMI, no 480i over HDMI. I have not tried the component yet.
post #5 of 227 Old 05-04-2006, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by had1 View Post

Doesn't this mean it records in DivX: * divx video compression allows more information to be stored on a dvd?? This was right off a vendor's website.

That's my point, it doesn't mean they record DivX, it's just a statement of fact, as if they said MP3 files take up less space than WAV files, it doesn't mean they can record MP3 files.
post #6 of 227 Old 05-04-2006, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

waiting 485,
Does it record or just play DivX? Does it have any kind FR (Flex Recording) like a Panasonic? What are the record modes?
Thanks!!
post #7 of 227 Old 05-04-2006, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter

bobkart,
I'm fairly sure your correct on the DivX. I went to the Toshiba site while the DR5 seems to be different in alot of ways from the 8052 it only plays DivX. One thing I'm interested in is the DAC in the DR4 it's a 24 bit and in the DR5 it's a 10 bit. That seems to be a huge difference? I've read that the Toshiba's have one of the best TBC going, but I wonder how much difference there is between a 24 bit and 10 bit. The only thing I have to judge by is I have a Liteon 5005 with a 8 bit and a ES-10 with a 12 bit nad there is a big difference!
post #8 of 227 Old 05-04-2006, 11:31 PM
AVS Special Member

I would have to guess that the 24-bit part is in reference to the audio portion of the DVD content, DVD-Audio signals are typically encoded with a 96KHz/24-bit LPCM encoding (or sometimes 192KHz). I've never heard of more than 12-bit video information encoding.
post #9 of 227 Old 05-05-2006, 07:18 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by had1 View Post

waiting 485,
Does it record or just play DivX? Does it have any kind FR (Flex Recording) like a Panasonic? What are the record modes?
Thanks!!

I have not tried recording DivX, no it does not have any kind of Flex Recording, the recording options are XP( HQ 1hr ) to SLP ( Low Quality 6 hr). Couple of things which I didn't like in Toshiba and don't like in RCA also.

Does not allow you to resume the disk from last position after you turn off the recorder ( even if you have not removed the disk ). You will always have to fast forward to the position. I also have a Cyberhome 1600MU recorder and that one keep the last position of DVD even if you removed it from the player.

The loading time for normal DVD is considerably longer ( around 20 sec.)

Picky about DivX play, some time it will freeze and then no button on Remote or on DVD player will work, I always have to remove the plug and start it again.

If you want more details about DR5 , Crutchfield has a manual on their site.
post #10 of 227 Old 05-06-2006, 02:38 PM

According to a csr at RCA this isn't an upconverter dvd player. When I told him it said it was on the box, he put me on hold again. Several minutes later he came back and said, "yes it is." He also told me it would send the upconverted signal through the component outputs, but I'm not too sure I trust him. Can anyone confirm, for sure, that it sends the upconverted signal through the componets. I don't have an available HDMI input.
post #11 of 227 Old 06-04-2006, 07:33 AM

I've had the DRC8052N for about a week. My thoughts are mostly positive:
- Waiting485, mine does save and resume from the spot you turned off the recorder when playing back a disk. Could there be a firmware revision from when you got yours to when I bought mine?
- The HDMI upconversion looks very good; better than the HDMI output from a Samsung DVD-R135, Toshiba SD-4980, and JSI upconverting player (from Sears, I can't remember the model number). On those other player, HDMI out looked worse than from my 6 or 7 year old JVC DVD Changer; the RCA HDMI output looks much better than the picture from the JVC (colors are more vibrant and the picture looks clearer/sharper).
- I've burned a few discks using the direct recording and the timer recording. The timer recording is easy enough to use - easier than the Samsung, not quite as simple as the Panny (might be because I've used a Panny for the past two years, so I'm used to those menu commands). I haven't had any coasters and the burned disks work in all of the players that I've tried them in (this was a major problem that I encountered with the Samsung DVD-R135 and DVD-R120; disks burnt on those machines would freeze other players at each chapter marker).
- Burned disk quality of 1 hour looks exactly like the original. 2 hour looks close to the original (you really have to look hard to see any differences). I didn't check any of the other modes.
- I agree witht he comment on load times - seems a bit excessive to load a disk when first inserted or when the player is turned on, but that's not a deal breaker for me.
- I wish it worked with DVD-RAM, but again, not a deal breaker.
- I've yet to try the DV input; after I get some DV this summer, I'll be sure to try it out.
- I can only find very little info on this player (nothing on RCA or Thomson's sites). It's not even listed as an option when registering your product online with RCA, which is weird. My only fear with that is if RCA isn't "claiming" it, who provides periodic updates like firmware? I'm wondering if RCA had someone else make this for them solely for Walmart?

Overall it has exceeded my expectations. It seems like a good entry level recorder for the price.
post #12 of 227 Old 06-04-2006, 07:52 AM

One other comment. I'm not sure if this is an issue with the DVD recorder, my TV or some HDMI to DVI hiccup, but when I first turn on the DVD Recorder, it usually takes a little time to get the 1080i sync right. EVen though the DRC8052N says it's outputting at 1080i, my TV (Hitachi 46F500) says it is receiving a 480p signal via DVI. After I go back through the HDMI output options back to 1080i, it syncs up with no problems.
post #13 of 227 Old 06-05-2006, 12:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
does it recognize and playback high-def Divx?
post #14 of 227 Old 06-05-2006, 12:47 PM

No idea. I've never done anything in DIVX, so I can't comment on how well it handles any DIVX playback. If you give me instructions on how to easily test whether it will playback hi-def divx, I'd be happy to try it out.
post #15 of 227 Old 06-05-2006, 08:08 PM

I tried this unit out for a few days. It's a great deal. The menu and chipset seem to be identical to the Cyberhome 1600 machine that used to be popular on here (the ZU version that is, meaning Zoran Chipset). I did not open the unit to verify the chipset though. The only difference with this machine from the Cyberhome is this machine "officially" supports DVD+/- R/W (the Cyberhome only claimed +R/W), plays DIVX, and of course has HDMI Upconversion.

The price of $149 from Wal-Mart is awesome. And of course Wally World has an excellent (read "easy") return policy.
post #16 of 227 Old 06-07-2006, 03:15 PM

Why is there no mention of this product on the RCA website?
I am seriously considering getting one instead of the panasonic S97 that I was planning on. Any thoughts or known comparisons would be appreciated.
post #17 of 227 Old 06-09-2006, 08:44 AM

I just bought and plugged in my new DRC8052N. I am running both HDMI and Component video, and I have digital coax running for audio. My TV only has DVI input (no HDMI). So, I have an HDMI to DVI adapter, and I can see video from both the DVI and Component input on my TV. However, when I go into the DRC8052N setup menu to change the digital audio output from PCM to Raw, the option is locked on PCM and will not allow me to change. Therefore, I cannot get 5.1 sound via my Onkyo receiver. Anyone who has one already, please help.
post #18 of 227 Old 06-12-2006, 09:11 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I've been toying with the idea of picking one of these up. It's a toss up between this and the Panasonic E25. I have decided that HDMI is a must, I am simply not happy with the way 480p looks on my 37" LCD.

I was hoping those of you who posted earlier on this thread could give an update on their machines, because as you guessed it, there still isn't a lot of information out there on this unit.

Thanks

C
post #19 of 227 Old 06-12-2006, 03:46 PM

This is my first post.

Normally I would not have bought RCA equipment, especially at WalMart, but after lots of research it really did seem to be a good deal. I needed HDMI, and this is an inexpensive way to get it. So I bought one.

Background:
I've got an Oppo OPDV971H paired with an Infocus SP 4805, and I calibrate using the GetGray disc. This system is a really good value for the money, and well-authored discs (Criterion Collection, Superbit) really shine. The only television service I have is OTA HDTV via a Samsung SIR-T451. I bought the DVD recorder to record broadcasts. Since the rest of my system uses digital video, and DVD recording naturally has to take analog, I realized there was going to be a relative loss in quality. Also, component inputs don't seem to be available on reasonably-priced units, so I decided to go "cheap."

Testing the recorder:
So far my experience has been positive, even though I've only recorded about 1.5 hours. 2-hour mode (SP) reveals significant compression artifacts on my 102-inch-diagonal screen, but I think I'm sensitive to that. 1-hour (HQ) mode shows no noticeable artifacts. I wonder if this thing does dual-layer? I'll have to check.

The remote is poor. Buttons are small and the plastic feels cheap. Button layout seems haphazard. And all DVD recorders need a finalize button. Seriously.

The interface is poor. Some simple options are nested too far down in menus. The worst problem is that it's slow! Button-presses take forever to respond. You have to be patient.

One nice thing is that on-the fly recording is very simple and responsive. Press "record" and it fires right up, "stop" and it's done.

PQ is fair to good for a unit in this price range, I think. Color accuracy and saturation are the weak points. I noticed somewhat of an improvement when I played a burned disc in the Oppo. You don't even have to finalize! I love Oppo

In this case, I'm willing to accept the shortcomings common in an inexpensive player, so the positives outweight the negatives. I doubt I would have chosen it if it didn't have HDMI.
post #20 of 227 Old 06-12-2006, 03:59 PM

Just a quick note:

(The following is simply a statement of fact and is not meant to be accusatory. Please form your own opinion.)

The first of these units that I purchased at you-know-where appeared to be a repackaged demo unit! There were fingerprints on the front, finish chipped off the connectors, and the glued-on cardboard feature list that they put on demos. I looked for a replacement at that store, but they all had a "previously opened" look. Ball point pen marks along the length of the packing tape, etc. Out of about 10 total units in 2 different stores, only one appeared to be new. Further inspection shows that it probably is, thank goodness.

Please do yourself a favor and make sure that any electronics you buy are properly sealed and new! Especially this product at this store.

Again, this is just my account of what happened to me, and not intended to be defamatory. I've tried to keep it informative and keep the emotion out of it.
post #21 of 227 Old 06-12-2006, 09:15 PM
Advanced Member

I picked up this model on my way home from work tonight. Set up was easy, and the menus and navigation is much easier than on the Polaroid (w/HD) that I returned. I have to admit, I am going to miss having a HD, but to be honest, I don't see myself doing much editing of DVDs in the future. I really only need a setup that would be similar to a VCR.

I don't have an HDMI cable yet, so I am running from my Dish Network 811 box (via S-video) to the RCA, and from there to my 37"LCD via component. I'm not real overly crazy about the signal that is sent via S-video, but I don't imagine there is anything else I can do. The image over component is a bit better than the Polaroid was (over component). I am going to connect this via HDMI as soon as my shipment from monoprice comes in.

Just after a few hours of testing, I can tell I am going to like this unit if the image gets better via HDMI. For $150, I think it's a great deal so far.

BTW: Theycallmelooopy, my unit appeared to be new, but it did have the cardboard cutout attached to the top, folded against the unit. The box appeared to be intact and I didn't have any marks or blemishes on the unit.
post #22 of 227 Old 06-12-2006, 09:43 PM

This evening I made an hour-long disc and finalized it on Sony DVD+RW media and my PC won't recognize it. I'm not sure why. I'm going to try a Fuji DVD+RW and then without finalizing.

Chris: That's weird. The second one I got didn't have the cardboard thing and was obviously packed more neatly. Hmm.
post #23 of 227 Old 06-14-2006, 06:47 AM

Does anyone know if this unit comes with the foul language filter. The web site says that it does but it is not on the box anywhere. I have the RCA HDMI upconvert player (bought it yesterday) and it does a good job of upconverting the DVDs I checked. It also comes with the foul language filter and also came w/ an HDMI cable for $79.00 from Wally World.

I am thinking about returning it and getting this unit instead.

What has been your experience recording off the air and cable or satellite programs?

Also, does this unit also come w/ the HDMI cable?

Thanks for the help.
post #24 of 227 Old 06-14-2006, 09:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousemaniac View Post

Does anyone know if this unit comes with the foul language filter. The web site says that it does but it is not on the box anywhere. I have the RCA HDMI upconvert player (bought it yesterday) and it does a good job of upconverting the DVDs I checked. It also comes with the foul language filter and also came w/ an HDMI cable for $79.00 from Wally World.

I am thinking about returning it and getting this unit instead.

What has been your experience recording off the air and cable or satellite programs?

Also, does this unit also come w/ the HDMI cable?

Thanks for the help.

I just bought one two days ago. Here are my initial impressions:

In regards to the foul language filter: I don't know for sure, I haven't looked. I do know there is some kind of lock that you put on it for ratings (password protected).

In regards to HDMI cable: No, it does not come with an HDMI cable. Isn't that strange? The Walmart RCA upconverting player ($79) has one, but the RCA upconverting recorder does not come with it. You can buy one at monoprice for less than $6 though.

In regards to picture quality: Playing a commercial DVD is fine. Probably the same as the upconverting player you have now. I am not happy with the way SD is recorded and played back (even in high quality mode) on my LCD TV. However, I'm not using an optimal connection right now-- I'm connected via component (waiting for my HDMI from monoprice) and I can let you know once it arrives. If you have a CRT, I'm sure it would be much different for you. It may simply be an artifact of my LCD because the Polaroid HDD recorder I had before this (also a walmart purchase - no comments) looked horrible as well (again going through component).

The menus etc, are all straight foward and if I can get this recording issue straightened out for my LCD I will be very happy with my purchase. For $150, I don't see how you could go wrong for an upconverting DVD recorder.
post #25 of 227 Old 06-14-2006, 09:53 AM

RCA DVD recorder just reviewed a few months ago in Home Theater or Perfect Vision. This recorder got a very good review by the magazine but it was a RCA 8060N instead of this 8052N you are talking about.

But with the way company's number things then the 8060N reviewed in the magazine should be the better unit. Doing a Froogle search shows the 8060N to be $15-25 more expensive. Wonder what the difference is?
post #26 of 227 Old 06-15-2006, 11:51 AM

I bought the 8060 from woot.com for $130+$5. It has been offered more than once.
It is only +, so I don't know of RCA's naming.
It works well. I've burned 15 disks, so far. Wish it had component/HDI input.

RCA DVD Recorder with HDMI and HD Upconversion DRC8060N
One day's experience with 6/5/06 Woot scheduled 6/12 arrived 6/9.

The good:

HDMI and component output, Toslink output
Universal remote works well
(my Lite-On 5101 is very difficult to control and is getting worse.)
Commercial skip (recording to +RW probably) done by making chapters and
hiding the ones with commercials. Worked great on Toy Story 2.
Skip ahead and back.
Logs up to 400 titles, each recording on the disk counts--I need more.
Program titles and description in Info, sometimes.
Recording speed has default but is asked for on each manual record.
Menus look good.

The bad:

No HDMI nor component input, no Toslink input
The HDMI feed-thru picture is limited by the source resolution.
Remote is generic for Echostar so changes all in sight.
No time display on front panel during record so no quick timing, maybe.
Basically records only +R and +RW.
Commercial skip recording does not do 5 minute markers also.
Logs only written disk, not viewed. Should allow delete any entry.
Progressive (use for HDMI/component out)
or interlace (use for composite/S-video)
but not both, uses back-panel slide switch.
No title thumbnail display -- may have missed that. To capture the
title frame: menu, play, pause on picture, info, edit on right, change.

Finding out:

Chapter skip/back is the channel up/down button when viewing (CH+/CH-).
Both DVD recorders read the +R disk, my Sony 5.1 Dreamthing is troubled.
I use SP (2 hour) below 123 minutes, a combination of SP and LP (3 hour)
up to say 150 minutes, and LP for up to 184 or so. The longer record
times have crummier resolution. First they half the vertical and then
they take from the horizontal. Dual rates are 2 recordings.

-Ken
post #27 of 227 Old 06-15-2006, 12:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKlare View Post

The good:

Toslink output

The bad:

No HDMI nor component input, no Toslink input
Progressive (use for HDMI/component out)
or interlace (use for composite/S-video)
but not both, uses back-panel slide switch.
-Ken

Hmm.... the DRC8052N may not have a toslink output. I have digital coax, so I can't recall if there was an optical out. I'll have to check. As far as the bad.... Now I'm wondering if the DRC8052N will do both interlaced and progressive at the same time. I need that because SD through component on mine looks horrible. And I don't think it has a back panel slide switch. This could be a deal breaker for me. I'm waiting on some cables, as soon as I know I'll post my results here. Anybody else know?

Chris
post #28 of 227 Old 06-15-2006, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Ruhl View Post

Hmm.... the DRC8052N may not have a toslink output. I have digital coax, so I can't recall if there was an optical out. I'll have to check. As far as the bad.... Now I'm wondering if the DRC8052N will do both interlaced and progressive at the same time. I need that because SD through component on mine looks horrible. And I don't think it has a back panel slide switch. This could be a deal breaker for me. I'm waiting on some cables, as soon as I know I'll post my results here. Anybody else know?

Chris

This 8052N and 8060N recorders are obviously different but what are the exact differences? I suspect the 8060N is the more advanced of the two since it has a higher model "number". The 8060N got a very good review in a recent HT magazine.
post #29 of 227 Old 06-17-2006, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchamb View Post

I just bought and plugged in my new DRC8052N. I am running both HDMI and Component video, and I have digital coax running for audio. My TV only has DVI input (no HDMI). So, I have an HDMI to DVI adapter, and I can see video from both the DVI and Component input on my TV. However, when I go into the DRC8052N setup menu to change the digital audio output from PCM to Raw, the option is locked on PCM and will not allow me to change. Therefore, I cannot get 5.1 sound via my Onkyo receiver. Anyone who has one already, please help.

Hello jchamb,
You can only change the audio output from PCM to Ram when you are in stop mode & not in the playing mode.
post #30 of 227 Old 06-17-2006, 09:09 AM

According to RCA's website the DRC8052N has TV Guardian built in, but I cannot confirm this anywhere else on the internet nor on the box at my local Walmart.

From your experience using the DRC8052N does it have TV Guardian built it?

I've tried finding a pdf version of the manual on RCA's website, but their website is not very good.

Thanks,
Eric
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page