Polaroid DVD Recorder - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 2859 Old 05-27-2006, 10:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Any chance you could schedule and event for weekly, of for two weeks from now, see if you get the icon all the time, then cancel the timer and report back? I also found last nite that I am getting 24 hr time on the display clock as well. Hmmm. That one is a minor annoyance but I can live with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 2859 Old 05-27-2006, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1_too View Post

I have no idea whether or not this unit will recognize different components, but the hard drive and burner are both 40-pin IDE units.

Before I hooked things up, thought I would peek inside. It appears well laid out and clean. The hard drive is a Western Digital Caviar 80-Gig unit. I did not take the shield off the burner, so have no idea what it is. The main circuit board is labeled LSI PVR-1000 if that means anything to those of you who understand these things. The remote is somewhat small/crowded, but it is still as good as, or better than most.

I basically wanted to know if the hard drive was user replaceable and unless it requires some service programming it appears to be so. The cover is back on and it is going in the cabinet. If the PQ is good, it will definitely be a keeper.

Great post! Thanks for giving us an insight to its ...insides :-)

Boldly trying a new DVR: http://moto3416review.blogspot.com/
post #93 of 2859 Old 05-27-2006, 07:51 PM

I set the timer for weekly and there is a little square timer icon in the bottom right of the screen. It is actually less obnoxious than the ones the stations put on their screens, so it probably won't be an issue for me. I canceled the program and the icon went away.

Now the subtitle button is working.

Oh, the trials, LOL.
post #94 of 2859 Old 05-27-2006, 11:30 PM

Hmm the first dvd we played came on with subtitles too. Had to go in and turn them off.
The problem I have with the Icon is that is is always there, even when watching a dvd, or a hdd recorded program. There has got to be a way to shut it off. I hope.
post #95 of 2859 Old 05-28-2006, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niqjh View Post

Hmm the first dvd we played came on with subtitles too. Had to go in and turn them off.
The problem I have with the Icon is that is is always there, even when watching a dvd, or a hdd recorded program. There has got to be a way to shut it off. I hope.

This must be very frustrating for you, perhaps this is the real reason for the recall.
post #96 of 2859 Old 05-28-2006, 01:29 AM
AVS Special Member

You'd think it could easily be fixed by a firmware update.
post #97 of 2859 Old 05-28-2006, 10:47 AM

I iwll see what Polaroid comes up wiht next week. Hopefully a firmware update will do it. Also, Wal Mart is good about returns. Wait and see, I guess.
post #98 of 2859 Old 05-28-2006, 09:16 PM

Just another nice surprise with this unit. It plays DivX........
post #99 of 2859 Old 05-29-2006, 07:31 AM

I was able to take a DVD I had just made of a television show and put it into one of the DVD players we have and it worked like a dream. It also plays a VCD that a friend of mine just sent me. That won't play in the other machines.

I copied a program from the HDD to a disk and it went pretty fast. That could be a hugely great feature with the movies I want to transfer. Edit on the HDD will take the most time but the transfer won't.

Won't play PAL, that would really be a plus. Once it's been out for awhile there may be a hack to take care of that.
post #100 of 2859 Old 05-29-2006, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
OK my Walmart here got some in today so I picked one up. I immediately popped it open and took some pics, then I tried my $55 woot 250 gig caviar drive in it and Viola, 250 gigs of storage, went from like 34 hours in SP mode to 119 I just set the jumper to CS or whatever the original 80 is and off it went. It does have component in and out and firewire.
The menus are terrible and it doesn't seem to support VCR+ which I have grown to like for quick caps of PBS shows and one time things like that. The Quality of the recordings look good so far but only done some quick 30 sec tests to make sure it was happy, still need to try some DVD media to see what it really records to. Definitely does Plus according to the manual but hoping for minus too.
The burner inside is IDE and is one of those open loader designs with a dust shield over the whole mess, it also has a 3.5 style power plug rather then the more typical 5 1/4 like the HD side has.
Anyways the Walmart in Troutdale Oregon still had 3 on the shelf at around 11am today for anyone else in my area that wants one.
I haven't tried a different burner yet what with the odd power plug but a adapter or rewire would fix that. I can post the pics later if anyones interested provided they can be loaded directly here.
post #101 of 2859 Old 05-29-2006, 03:26 PM
Advanced Member

One thing I can tell you about Polaroid is that they have great technology when it comes to dark areas of video (meaning where the people are not outside in broad daylight). I have a Portable DVD Player, the Polaroid PDM-0711, and I can tell you that it handles dark scenes very well.

So I would imagine that anyone recording a Movie or TV show with a Polaroid DVD Recorder, would have good quality if there happen to be any dark scenes.

Never Underestimate The Power Of Forums.
post #102 of 2859 Old 05-29-2006, 04:10 PM

My local store refused to sell me one due to the recall, so I ordered it from Walmart online..
Had it hooked up and running just fine, realtime record and timesynch, the works (except DVD to HDD)
Until I tried to watch something on a HighDef channel and it was not compatable with the High Def signal..

One annoying thing about the box though...If it was powered off it did not default to the last selected output mode (in my case YUV) but back to coax.

I had hooked it up
HD Cable box ---Component cables---DRM-2001G----Component cables-----TV

No help from "customer service" either......

No current DVD Recorder can accept more than 480i. Unless you wait for a High-Definition Recorder, the next one you get will have the same problem.

OK, how do I hook this thing up so that I can pass though more than 480i, or do I have to bypass the DVD / HDD R and go directly to the TV ....
Another option would be to set my Cable box to 480i output and just not take advantage of the resolution provided by the HD......
post #103 of 2859 Old 05-29-2006, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Since you can't input 480p, you can't pass it through, so bypass is your only choice if you want 480P from your HD box direct to your monitor.

The Future ain't what it used to be...
post #104 of 2859 Old 05-29-2006, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartman View Post

OK my Walmart here got some in today so I picked one up. I immediately popped it open and took some pics, then I tried my $55 woot 250 gig caviar drive in it and Viola, 250 gigs of storage, went from like 34 hours in SP mode to 119 I just set the jumper to CS or whatever the original 80 is and off it went. It does have component in and out and firewire.
The menus are terrible and it doesn't seem to support VCR+ which I have grown to like for quick caps of PBS shows and one time things like that. The Quality of the recordings look good so far but only done some quick 30 sec tests to make sure it was happy, still need to try some DVD media to see what it really records to. Definitely does Plus according to the manual but hoping for minus too.
The burner inside is IDE and is one of those open loader designs with a dust shield over the whole mess, it also has a 3.5 style power plug rather then the more typical 5 1/4 like the HD side has.
Anyways the Walmart in Troutdale Oregon still had 3 on the shelf at around 11am today for anyone else in my area that wants one.
I haven't tried a different burner yet what with the odd power plug but a adapter or rewire would fix that. I cam post the pics later if anyones interested provided they can be loaded directly here.

This is looking better all of the time! If you can post pictures, perhaps the more informed on this list can make an educated guess about more of its capabilities. LSI's web site says it has the LSI DoMiNo® DMN-8652 media processor. Thanks for the post.
post #105 of 2859 Old 05-29-2006, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I haven't tried a different burner yet what with the odd power plug but a adapter or rewire would fix that. I cam post the pics later if anyones interested provided they can be loaded directly here.

Great post! The HDD-drive boost is definately a big ...plus :-)

You can upload pics directly to the forum posts if you want. I think there is a number of forum readers that are curious about this recorder (the price is very tempting!)

Boldly trying a new DVR: http://moto3416review.blogspot.com/
post #106 of 2859 Old 05-29-2006, 09:46 PM

Cool! Was swapping the hdd just as easy as old one out, new one in, and it recognized it?
post #107 of 2859 Old 05-29-2006, 11:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Yep, old out new in. It made some noise for a bit then came on after a while of thrashing around and it had 237 meg available and 119 hours in SP mode. The case top was a bugger to get back on as it's flimsy and you have to pretty much stand the tabs in almost vertically and then gently as you can pivot it back down again to clear the burners shield which pretty much is right up against the slots the tab needs to fit in and slide under. I wouldn't bother with the loader as the shield is kinda hard to get back in properly too but the Hard drive is pretty easy to remove and replace. I need to resize the pics, I'll add them later.
Unfortunately it appears the tuner is mono but it sounds good and most of my shows stereo wont add a lot too.
The editing function is pretty bad but it does work, it just skips the marked parts when watching or burning, and the marks can be cleared so you can try again or just not loose anything. The clock may be funky, it kept changing time but it may be from all the changing settings I've been doing too, and yes if you set a timer recording the timer Icon stay on screen down in the lowest right corner.
It did burn a so so Maxel 8x minus R just fine to about a gig, error levels were low and low jitter too.
When I tested the disk it came up as being burned by Philips jan 1 2055 so it is based at least partly on philips tech.
I also did a recording from a HD channel through component in set at 480i and the quality was excellent even at SP, tried HQ also and pretty much same thing, haven't tried lower settings yet.
post #108 of 2859 Old 05-30-2006, 12:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Hopefully more than that. A thousand times more.
post #109 of 2859 Old 05-30-2006, 07:58 AM

I got one in Hot Springs, AR . Recorded some stuff, it does a fine a job of recording. Used the timer recording, also tried time shifting, they all work fine. Yet to try video editing.
Chase play has a buffer for 60mins. So if u pause beyond that, it will resume normal video(as per manual)
post #110 of 2859 Old 05-30-2006, 07:59 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

I wouldn't bother with the loader as the shield is kinda hard to get back in properly too but the Hard drive is pretty easy to remove and replace. I need to resize the pics, I'll add them later.
Unfortunately it appears the tuner is mono but it sounds good and most of my shows stereo wont add a lot too.

Thanks for the review, and yep, there are plenty of us waiting to hear more (and see the pics). I went by Walmart this morning on my way to work and there they were. I thought I might hold off a couple more days till more reviews come in. I'm a bit disappointed by the fact that this unit has a MONO tuner. I understand the need for a mono tuner on the $67 units, but I was hoping this Polaroid would have everything I need. They also had the Phillips 160 GB, but if I was going to spend the extra money I think I'd try to find a new Pioneer.

Thanks again for the info, and keep it coming if you have more.

Chris
post #111 of 2859 Old 05-30-2006, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthJersey View Post

Is there a way to connect my sa8300hd to both my tv AND this polaroid recorder, both using component video cables ? If I run the cabling sa8300hd -> polaroid -> tv, the polaroid doesn't accept nor output HD resolutions ?

Any company make a set of component video cable(s) that splits off one on end, into a Y-cable, ie one end carries the source video, to two component video targets ?

If this existed, then I could connect the 8300hd to both tv and recorder at the same time; to send hd to the tv, use my current mode (passthrough of 720p/1080i); to send to the recorder, just set the 8300hd to output video at 480i. This way I wouldn't have to swap cables everytime I want to send something to the recorder.

My Sony directview had dvi, which has my Zenith dvd player connected to it; the 8300hd connected to one component input; the other component video input connected from a switch (xbox360 and ps2). I figure I'd send the component video output from the polaroid to this switch

I found these cables (component cables w/Y-adapter). Do you think they'd work for the question I raised before?

http://www.trianglecables.com/cv-rca-y.html
post #112 of 2859 Old 05-30-2006, 11:43 AM

Quote:

Yep, old out new in. It made some noise for a bit then came on after a while of thrashing around and it had 237 meg available and 119 hours in SP mode. The case top was a bugger to get back on as it's flimsy and you have to pretty much stand the tabs in almost vertically and then gently as you can pivot it back down again to clear the burners shield which pretty much is right up against the slots the tab needs to fit in and slide under. I wouldn't bother with the loader as the shield is kinda hard to get back in properly too but the Hard drive is pretty easy to remove and replace. I need to resize the pics, I'll add them later.
The editing function is pretty bad but it does work, it just skips the marked parts when watching or burning, and the marks can be cleared so you can try again or just not loose anything. The clock may be funky, it kept changing time but it may be from all the changing settings I've been doing too, and yes if you set a timer recording the timer Icon stay on screen down in the lowest right corner.
It did burn a so so Maxel 8x minus R just fine to about a gig, error levels were low and low jitter too.
When I tested the disk it came up as being burned by Philips jan 1 2055 so it is based at least partly on philips tech.
I also did a recording from a HD channel through component in set at 480i and the quality was excellent even at SP, tried HQ also and pretty much same thing, haven't tried lower settings yet.

Good pick on your Philips comment. Take a look at the manual from the Philips DVDR 3350H or the new DVDR 3455H and you will certainly see more similarities than differences.
post #113 of 2859 Old 05-30-2006, 11:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkart View Post

Hopefully more than that. A thousand times more.

Yeah, 237 gig, typing this just before bed sucks
Haven't had time to do much more with it yet, the clock was dead on time today after work and set another timer record event for later tonight and we'll see how it does.
Got to say for ease of editing and GUI layout plus a stereo tuner My Panny e-80h has it beat by a long ways, BUT I cant put anything bigger then 80 meg in it and that runs out quick on full weeks. I might just use this bad boy for basic time shifting then dub over to the panny for the keepers and ease of editing etc. I havent completely decided if its mono yet but pretty sure, no audio settings in tuner mode and sure sounds like mono most of the time to me.
post #114 of 2859 Old 05-31-2006, 12:12 PM
Advanced Member

You know, I think I'm going to pick one of these up. Walmart has a great return policy, and none of my other local stores (BB included) even carry DVD recorders with a HD. I'm not a big fan of buying things at Walmart, but I have little choice if I'm buying B&M.

Since I am using a Dish Network HD tuner, I guess if the Polaroid has a mono tuner, it shouldn't matter? I currently have my HD tuner connected to my TV via HDMI, so I am guessing that I can connect the component out on the tuner to the compoent in on the Polaroid and also use the Left/Right RCA audio outs on the tuner to the Polaroid and it will record in stereo. (I did a little reading on this site - sure is nice to have so many knowledgeable people around).

If this doesn't work out, I guess I may have to buy the Pio 640 online. Not real crazy about that idea. I guess I could also try the Phillips at Walmart, but we'll see. I was hoping Walmart would carry the new Pioneers, but it isn't looking good at this point in time.
post #115 of 2859 Old 05-31-2006, 07:39 PM
Advanced Member

Ok, I ended up buying one. Anybody have any idea on how to get this thing to recognize the "component in" signal? I know cycle through the inputs using the "monitor" button, but it is not recognizing the component connection between the set-top box and DVD recorder. I know the box is sending a signal, but all I get when switching to component is a lot of colored fuzz.

Thanks

C-
post #116 of 2859 Old 05-31-2006, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

You HAVE to set the component outs of the Box your recording from to normal NTSC 480i, anything else it can't use I found out as I tried 720p and 1080i, mine just got a blue screen and wouldn't even pass it through on any other mode. It did do one successful timer record last night and so far the clock has kept time. Going to work on shrinking the pics next...
post #117 of 2859 Old 05-31-2006, 08:49 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the info. Now I need to figure out how to get my Dish HD box to output 480i through component cables. I tried connecting via composite, but it still said no signal was detected. I'll see if I can track down a S-video and see if that works.

Frustrating to say the least.
post #118 of 2859 Old 05-31-2006, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

I think you should be able to get something through S-video as it should be normal tv standard and mine records from s video fine. I haven't tried the s vid from the LG tuner though, just the other machines here.
They should have some way to hard set the HD output, what if you only have a analog or ED set
post #119 of 2859 Old 05-31-2006, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Here ya go, I have 4 I took, shrunk down to just under 500k each PNG format
LL
LL
LL
post #120 of 2859 Old 05-31-2006, 09:06 PM
AVS Special Member