Philips DVDR3455H/37 - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 925 Old 01-02-2007, 07:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
DVD Trick modes are not available with HDD Title Playback. Play and Pause serve as normal by same button. ( >ll )

With HDD Playback Slo-mo Forward is by Step Mode Only. Press Play/Pause button ( >ll ) for Pause Mode, then press the "NEXT" button ( >l ) repeatedly to "step/frame" advance forward. There is no "step/frame" reverse in HDD Playback, at least that none I have found. Also available in HDD Playback are a 10 sec. Reverse Skip and 30 sec. Forward Skip via the < and > buttons that "frame" the (OK) button. These do not serve the same function in DVD Playback, again, an aggravation because it becomes second nature to use these extensively when viewing HDD Playback and they don't work the same in DVD Play.

The necessity of accessing a "Trick Mode" to Slo-mo Forward and Reverse for DVDs is yet another of the aggravating oddities of the Philips. I find this unit to be rather exasperating because it so outstanding in a number of ways, and yet so clumsy, primitive and downright backwards in others. I have a Love/Aggravation affair with the 3455/37 because of these factors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 925 Old 01-05-2007, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2-d View Post

Does anyone know if this dvd recorder can play MPEGISO (a mpeg on a DVD with no authoring)? Also, can it play an out of standard DVD-Video, like a DVD with a resolution of 544x480?

Thanks.

Hello, If you mean just burning a MPEG onto a DVD or cd, like a complete stand alone movie or tv show, yes. Or in my case, a bunch of MPEGs on a DVD. I haven't had any problems playing any of the formats yet from divx/xvid to mpegs to svcd or vcds. Cant comment on the second part of your question.
post #273 of 925 Old 01-05-2007, 11:02 AM

[quote= You Can watch a Previously recorded program by using the HardDrive.[/QUOTE]

Hello
Can you tell me how to do this? When I try, a red "NO" symbol pops up. Same thing when I try to watcha DVD while recording. I can live without "chase play", but this is annoying! And no "Jump" between two channels feature.
post #274 of 925 Old 01-05-2007, 06:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgydrifter View Post

Hello
Can you tell me how to do this? When I try, a red "NO" symbol pops up. Same thing when I try to watcha DVD while recording. I can live without "chase play", but this is annoying! And no "Jump" between two channels feature.

Well, on mine I simply use the remote control buttons as usual and access the HDD Titles, select the one I want and press the (OK) button. Same thing for the DVD Player features.

Question,what Firmware is installed in your Philips? I did a Firmware Upgrade in Sept. or Oct. I am not sure if that made any difference in these areas or not.

DVDR3455/37 Firmware Upgrade
post #275 of 925 Old 01-05-2007, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullOnShred View Post

Well, on mine I simply use the remote control buttons as usual and access the HDD Titles, select the one I want and press the (OK) button. Same thing for the DVD Player features.

Question,what Firmware is installed in your Philips? I did a Firmware Upgrade in Sept. or Oct. I am not sure if that made any difference in these areas or not.

DVDR3455/37 Firmware Upgrade

Same with the Polaroid. Very similiar machines. FullOnShred - you are the man! Nobody better than you with the Philips. Thanks!
post #276 of 925 Old 01-05-2007, 06:53 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks nextoo, but we all pale in comparison with what you have wrought with the Polaroid! (I miss my clapping hands emoticon at times like this!!)

I almost bought another Philips last night to see if I could mimic any of your excellent modifications with this unit. If only Wally World would sell me another one at $115 OTD I would jump right on it!
post #277 of 925 Old 01-05-2007, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks nextoo, but we all pale in comparison with what you have wrought with the Polaroid! (I miss my clapping hands emoticon at times like this!!)

I almost bought another Philips last night to see if I could mimic any of your excellent modifications with this unit. If only Wally World would sell me another one at $115 OTD I would jump right on it!

You have won the the "best check out" award of 2006. Enjoy!
post #278 of 925 Old 01-05-2007, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

By the way thanks for hanging in there. You have been around for a long time with the Philips. A lot longer than I have been with the Polaroid.

Cool.
post #279 of 925 Old 01-06-2007, 07:49 AM

Thanks, I upgraded firmware and it now plays HDD or DVDs at the same time as it records. After reading some of the posts thought the available firmware upgrade was useless, but this seems to be useful.

I have another question, for you or anyone, if you dont mind. In my manual, and the one posted on the Philips website, it pictures the remote has having a "P" on the remote on the channel up/down button. My remote just has "CH" on this button. If your remote has the P, does it switch back and forth between 2 channels? Im thinking the P stands for Previous channel?

Again thanks
post #280 of 925 Old 01-06-2007, 08:09 AM

My remote has the P on the channel up and down button. However, I have not found the last channel jump on the remote if there is one.
post #281 of 925 Old 01-06-2007, 10:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgydrifter View Post

Thanks, I upgraded firmware and it now plays HDD or DVDs at the same time as it records. After reading some of the posts thought the available firmware upgrade was useless, but this seems to be useful.

I have another question, for you or anyone, if you dont mind. In my manual, and the one posted on the Philips website, it pictures the remote has having a "P" on the remote on the channel up/down button. My remote just has "CH" on this button. If your remote has the P, does it switch back and forth between 2 channels? Im thinking the P stands for Previous channel?

Again thanks

Drifter, you are welcome. I wasn't sure if the upgrade would do it or not - glad it did.

Unfortunately I am guilty of posting that the Firmware Upgrade was basically worthless shortly after I did mine. I was wrong. I was mostly ticked that it didn't fix the no "True Chase Play" issue. Sorry that my post mislead you. I have the Firmware dated 9-21-06 (R19.10) from the link I posted here.

On my remote the button has "CH" in the middle and "+" at the top and "-" at the bottom. I have found no "Last Channel" function on this unit.

Please post anything new that you figure out about this unit because that is how we learn here.
post #282 of 925 Old 01-06-2007, 08:50 PM
Advanced Member

I found this Region Free Hack for the Philips while searching for Service Menu Codes - which I did not find. I make absolutely NO WARRANTY as to the effectiveness or safety of this hack. If you use it you do so at your OWN RISK!

It was attributed to CaveMan.....I wonder if that is our very own caveman_17 who posts here??

- Power on
- Switch to DVD mode
- Open tray
- Press 0 0 8 6 0 0 0 on remote
- Press OK
- Power off the unit using remote (<- important step)
post #283 of 925 Old 01-07-2007, 12:19 AM

Quote:

- Open tray

Since the remote doesn't have an eject button I used the one on the front panel when I tried this hack. There wasn't any feedback so no way to know whether it worked.

post #284 of 925 Old 01-07-2007, 12:51 PM
Advanced Member

Funny thing. If you press and hold the "Stop" button for a few seconds it will both open and close the DVD Tray. I forgot not everyone knows that. I think I read it somewhere other than the manual myself.

As to the Hack, the Post I read stated there would be no onscreen confirmation, but that Powering Off with the remote was an important piece of the puzzle. Only way to tell if it works would be to try and play some DVDs from another region. Please post back if you get results......Thanks.

Anyone here got any clues about other Philips DVDR Service Menu Codes? I would love to get my hands on them.
post #285 of 925 Old 01-07-2007, 04:03 PM

Hello
I have this unit, my first DVR other than Comcasts version. Got tired of paying 29 bucks a month extra.

I have never messed with VCRPlus codes before, and was wondering if someone could clue me in? When I use the ones from TVGuide online for my area code, the time and date and length are correct, but most times it does not fill in the channel at all. On rare occasions, it will also fill in the correct channel. Is this just the nature of the beast, or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance
post #286 of 925 Old 01-07-2007, 04:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 132
When I used VCR+ codes in my Pio 640, I had to set the "Guide Channels" (GC) in Setup 'cause not all channels for VCR+ match the actual channels in my area. Ch. 33 ir actually GC 30...go figure!

Maybe same situation in your area. Check again at the website and see if you notice any differences and set your DVDR accordingly?
post #287 of 925 Old 01-07-2007, 10:06 PM

i am looking for a good quality dvd recorder/HDD that will do chapter markings..i have a philips dvdr 3455H and it will mark my chapters from tv to dvd but wont do it on the hard drive...is it possible to do that with any of them? also, to do the chapter markings even straight to the disc, you have to have yesdvd...does anyone know anything about how that really works? it says i can do as many recordings as i want, but can only make 1 copy of each recording..i dont quite understand that...can anyone help me on these issues? thanks!
post #288 of 925 Old 01-08-2007, 10:48 PM
Advanced Member

lilmama40, rest assured I wasn't ignoring your post. You have asked a question I am not sure I fully understand.

1-Are you asking if you can Have Chapter Thumbnails directy within the Hard Drive Title meus on the Philips? If so, I think the answer is No. You can divide, and rename and edit Titles on the HDD, but I know of and see no way to Add Chapter Thumbnails inside of the actuall HDD Title Menu.

2- Or are you asking if you can add Chapter Thumbnails when burning from the Hard Drive of the Philips to the DVD Recorder of the Philips? If so, the answer is I am not sure - it depends on how you Define "Chapter" and "Thumbnail".

You can certainly "Divide" and "Rename" any recordings that are stored on the Philips Hard Drive (HDD) as many times as you wish and then rename each "New" Title with any name you choose. Then when Recording from the Philips HDD to the Philips DVD Recorder (DVD+/-R) each "Seperate" Title will have it's own Thumbnail, and you can certainly edit those Thumbnails (without using YesDVD) before you "Finalize" your DVD Disc. Essentially, each seperate "Title" will now be like a "SuperChapter" on the finished Disc and will be played back continuously (I think) in any recorder that will recognize the Disc. You should be able to make as many DVD+/-R copies in this fashion as you so choose.

This is what I am thinking you may actually be trying to acheive. If it is, respond and I will advise how to Change thumbnails when Recording from the Philips HDD to the Philips DVD Recorder(DVD+/-R). Sorry if this is confusing, but I am not totally sure I understand what you want to do.
'Shred
post #289 of 925 Old 01-09-2007, 04:50 PM

last night i went and got the pioneer 640h cause they said you could do that, add chapter thumbnails on the hard drive and when you copied it to the dvd, they would stay there..NOT! so now i'm ready to take the philips back, the pioneer back and go buy the toshiba...lol...on that one you CAN do it, and it will also let you set how far apart you want the chapters and will set them automatically....grrrrrrrrrrrrrr...this is getting to be a pain in my hiney! LOL....but still would like to know how to do what you said from the hard drive and see if i get the results i want...getting tired of buying things and taking them back..
post #290 of 925 Old 01-09-2007, 04:51 PM

but like you said you'd in your e-mail that you'd do, i need to know step by step how to do that..lol..thanks!!
post #291 of 925 Old 01-09-2007, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

I think 'Shred covered it quite well. I'm familiar with the Polaroid and I believe the Philips and the Polaroid are the same when it comes to this.

You can edit chapters on the HDD. These edits will be transferred to the disc when burning. You can't change or set title thumbnails on the HDD. You can't set chapter thumbnails on the HDD (or disc).

On a disc after you have burned from the HDD to the disc you can continue to edit chapters (your work from the HDD will be preserved). You can erase all of the chapters you set on the HDD if you want and start over. This is before you finalize the disc.

You can also change the title thumbnail on the disc before you finalize. One thing you cannot do is have chapter thumbnails. For that I would recommend a Toshiba.
post #292 of 925 Old 01-09-2007, 06:12 PM
Advanced Member

I would suggest a practice run. So Record a program just under 2hrs. long and that you don't mind messing up to the Philips HDD in SP Record Mode. Once that is done......

(To keep this example simple let's say you want to break the 2hr. program into 4-30 minute Chapters with Thumbs.)

1- Press the HDD button on the Philips remote. This will bring up all HDD Titles(recordings).

2- Use Navigation buttons (Right, Left, Up, Down, OK) on remote to "Select" the program you want to create Chapters and Thumbnails for. Then Press the Rt. Navi button ) and then select "Rename" to rename the Chapter any name you would like ("Test Chapter 1", for our purposes here).

3- After "renaming" and then returning to main HDD Title Menu Screen, Press the Right Navigation ) button on remote to show the options for that title and use Navi buttons to select "Divide Title". Press (OK) button.

4- Use Next Button ( >l ) to move Forward in 5 min. increments and then the FFW/REW or the 30 sec. skip button ) and 10 sec. reverse skip ( if needed to move ahead 30 min. to your first Chapter endpoint. Press the pause button precisely where you would like the 1st Chapter to end and 2nd Chapter to begin. I find it easiest to "Pause" just before where I want to "divide" a Title, and then use the "Next" Button ( >l ) to "frame advance" to the exact spot I want to place the Split.

5- When you are sure you are where you want the division Press (OK) and then Confirm you want to "Split" the Title. BTW, the Prev Button ( l< ) will move backwards in 5 min. increments if needed. Be careful because you cannot "Undo" Splits!

6- Now you are back to the HDD Title menu again. "Rename" the remaining 1hr.30min. of the program "Test Chapter 2". Select "Divide Title" and move forward another 30min. to the end point for Chapter 2 and Press Pause. When you are sure you are precisely where Chap.2 should end and Chap.3 begin Press (OK) and then confirm (OK) the Title Split.

7- Back to the HDD menu we go. Rename the remaining 1hr. portion "Test Chapter 3" and repeat the process moving forward 30 min. to your last Divide point and select and divide as before. Back to the HDD Menue Screen to Rename the last 30min. section Test Chapter 4.

Now we prepare to burn the DVD.

1- Use Navi buttons to "choose" Test Chapter 1. Press the Select Button to add this title to the DVD Compilation.

2- Now use Navi buttons to "choose" Test Chapter 2 and Press "Select" to add to the DVD que.

3- Use Navi buttons to "choose" Test Chapter 3 and Press "Select" to add to the DVD que.

4- Same thing for Test Chapter 4. It is important to select the Chapters in the exact order you want them to play back once the DVD is burned.

5- Double Check the order of the Chapters, then load a blank DVD-RW (for the test a RW would be better since it can be re-recorded later) into the DVD Burner tray. Close the Tray.

6- Press the HDD Button and the DVD Recording will start. When the recording is done, we can now set/choose the Thumbnails we want for each of the four "Chapters" on our New DVD.

1- Use Navi buttons to select Chapter 1. Press the Right Navigation button ) . Select "Edit Title" from the list of options and Press (OK). Use FFW/REW to navigate thru the Chapter until you see the Frame you want for your Thumbnail Image. When you see what you want press Pause.

2- Now use the Navi Buttons (down) to select "Index Picture". Press (OK) and then press the Left Navigation Button ( This will select the Paused Frame and Record it as your new Thumbnail Image.

3- Repeat as needed for all Chapters.

4- When you are done choosing your new Thumbnail Images, Press the UP Navigation Button until you are all the way to the top. Now Press the Rt. Navi Button ) and Select "Finalize" and when that is done you will now have a 2hr. DVD with 4 Seperate 30 min. "Chapters", each with it's own Thumbnail.

You can of course make your "Chapters" any length you choose, and create as many "Chapters" as you need or want to.

It seems pretty difficult reading it, but rest assured it took almost as long to type this as it would have taken me to actually do it. And like everything, it gets easier with practice. Good luck!
post #293 of 925 Old 01-09-2007, 06:26 PM

wow...lol....ok, i'm gonna sit here and do this now and see what happens..thank you so much for taking out the time to type all this for me, its greatly appreciated!! i will let you know what happens!
post #294 of 925 Old 01-09-2007, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

I think that covers it.
post #295 of 925 Old 01-09-2007, 06:29 PM
Advanced Member

As an addendum, pretty much all that I posted above can be found in various places throughout the manual, but I learned most of it simply by messing around with the Navigation buttons and paying attention to the onscreen display prompts. Experimentation is your friend as long as you are using non-essential recordings to learn.
post #296 of 925 Old 01-09-2007, 06:48 PM

Just to add on. If you are recording tv shows with commercials fullonshred is right on the money. However if you are recording movies that are commercial free. You can set the auto chapter maker to every 15 min or evry 30 min. Then when dividing the title. Just hit the >| button, to jump to the point where you want to divide.
post #297 of 925 Old 01-09-2007, 07:00 PM

thats what i am doing, movies without commercials...
post #298 of 925 Old 01-09-2007, 07:09 PM

ok, i got to here..."1- Use Navi buttons to select Chapter 1. Press the Right Navigation button ) . Select "Edit Title" from the list of options and Press (OK). Use FFW/REW to navigate thru the Chapter until you see the Frame you want for your Thumbnail Image. When you see what you want press Pause.

2- Now use the Navi Buttons (down) to select "Index Picture". Press (OK) and then press the Left Navigation Button ( This will select the Paused Frame and Record it as your new Thumbnail Image.
on #2 it wont let me go down to select the index picture..i get the red circle with the line thru it...lol
post #299 of 925 Old 01-09-2007, 07:10 PM

boy do i cell stupid tonite...
post #300 of 925 Old 01-09-2007, 07:11 PM

oops..feel...must be getting aggravated, now i cant type...
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page