Philips DVDR3455H/37 - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 926 Old 05-29-2008, 07:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Oh - haven't done the firmware upgrade, either. Not sure how I'd go about it, and I'm not sure I want to try - I read the horror story from the one guy who did it and never got his unit working again...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 926 Old 05-29-2008, 07:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwicko View Post

Oh, and my desk-eject seems to be working better now, too. Well, at least in a different way. I always leave a blank in the tray so I don't have to pry it open (the weight of the disk seems to make it open a bit easier). Anyway, it takes a while to eject now, and it never says "BLOCKED" when I press the eject - it just doesn't do anything for a bit, say, 20 or 30 seconds, and then it'll spit the disk tray out just fine.

Try NOT leaving a disc in the tray cuz every time you turn the unit on w/disc in tray or insert a blank disc, the machine has to do a series of tests on the disc to make sure it can record to it and what strategy to use. Those test results are stored on the disc and are cumulative... no problem if using +R/RW since they have lots more "space" for test results.

Try to get some Verbatim +R locally and start fresh w/o leaving a disc in the tray?
post #633 of 926 Old 06-01-2008, 04:19 PM

I bought this dvdr3455h/37B ....

I did connection as in the manual .... from Dish network receiver to unit then to TV.. connection is fine. But it shows on the display CH002 ... when I press setup i see nothing. how i change it to Ch003 maybe ? since my Dish receiver is on Ch3.

thank you if you can help me
post #634 of 926 Old 06-02-2008, 07:42 AM

Hello I m a Newbie
My dvd recorder is DVDR3455h/37
Somebody have a step by step procedure to change 160g HD for a bigger one.
I want to put 250gb or 320gb to replace my original drive is defect and the dvd recorder is out of warranty.

My HD is out of the machine, Im ready to put a new one. What is the better HD size 250gb or 320gb and how to do step by step, format, size, firmware and all info to do it succesfulf

Best Regards
Stang05
post #635 of 926 Old 06-02-2008, 07:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat4u View Post

I bought this dvdr3455h/37B ....

I did connection as in the manual .... from Dish network receiver to unit then to TV.. connection is fine. But it shows on the display CH002 ... when I press setup i see nothing. how i change it to Ch003 maybe ? since my Dish receiver is on Ch3.

With a satellite receiver, you have to connect the Philips as shown in the 2nd sketch here.

Your Philips can't tune satellite channels (no DVDR can), so it doesn't go in-line on the coax. It DOES need a separate line output to a TV input so you can see internal stuff, like menus, DVDs, etc. It doesn't send any internal stuff thru its coax.
post #636 of 926 Old 06-02-2008, 09:50 PM

i am sorry to ask again .. I did the connection well .. I can tune my Dish network channels on the DVDR .. I can record from my dish netwrok on HD while watching the channel .. The question is ... how can i record a dish network channel while watching other dish network channel?

thank you for answering.
post #637 of 926 Old 06-03-2008, 06:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 315
You can't. The DVDR only records what you're watching/playing back from dish.
post #638 of 926 Old 06-04-2008, 01:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwicko View Post

Whew... That was a job of work.

I've tried Maxell, Memorex, "Dynex" (which I think is a cheap BestBuy store brand), all with no luck. However, I can still record on both DVD-RW and DVD+RW; in short, if it's got an "RW" after it, I seem to be able to record just fine.

All three of those brands are pretty much garbage. Try some Made in Taiwan Verbatim -Rs , and/or some Made in Taiwan or Made in Japan Sony +R or -R's. Far better Discs than those mentioned above.
post #639 of 926 Old 06-05-2008, 06:38 PM

i want to upgrade the firmware on this unit, i went to the philips site and d/loaded what they had, it is ver R19.10, on the unit it is ver R19.12, is there a later one out there somewhere???? cause i can't find it
post #640 of 926 Old 06-06-2008, 03:24 PM

Hello Buttplug
How you fix your problem, I have exactly the same problem
New 320gb, start open tray, message Load, insert CD firmware, Boot, Copy, and I see only a blue screen forever and ever. Hdd is format as Xp where is the problem??

Thank for your awnser, Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttplug View Post

Based on your post, I just installed a 300gb into my Philips and now it doesn't boot. What did I do wrong? Are you sure an upgrade works on this? The front just displays something like 'loading' and I see only a blue screen forever and ever. If your's really worked maybe 250gb is the max. Please let me know because I am very sad now. I hope the old drive works when I put it back.

post #641 of 926 Old 06-17-2008, 03:44 AM

Liked: 11
My 3455H got stuck, and after unplugging to reboot and and then attempting to repower, it just powers down after a while and cycles back up again, the process repeating ad nauseum. Any way to fix? Thanks in advance.
post #642 of 926 Old 07-05-2008, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephan949 View Post

I bought the HDRW 720/17 a year ago from costco. I think all the bad reviews are correct. The machine is full with bugs, crashes about 2-3 times a week. Had to call CS about 2 time a month.
But I have to say still better than not having a HDRW drive and having to use a old fashion VCR. (I got used to have all my favorite shows recorded automatically)
Also I got used to have a TV-Guide built in. I check all upcoming movies for the next week and click on record, whatever I am interested in.
Now I shipped the HDRW720 back to Phfillips (got tired of constant crashes and lost TV-Guide) and just learned Philips will most likely ship back an upgraded unit, the DVDR3455H which has no longer a TV-Guide... sure it has a bigger hard drive, but I really bought the old unit for the TV-Guide feature.
Any recommendation what to do with this one or which unit to buy (with TV-Guide)

anyone still using a Philips hdrw 720/17 unit? This is a beautifully designed machine, despite some of it's bugs and quirks. I have two units, love them.
post #643 of 926 Old 07-05-2008, 03:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twotrey View Post

My 3455H got stuck, and after unplugging to reboot and and then attempting to repower, it just powers down after a while and cycles back up again, the process repeating ad nauseum. Any way to fix? Thanks in advance.

I would try downloading the firmware to a CD, and try to put it in the CD/DVD Tray and see if it tries to reload the firmware during one of the cycles. beyond that, maybe leave the unit unplugged overnight and then plug back in.
post #644 of 926 Old 07-05-2008, 03:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

You could try the 3575 reset procedure: unplug for 10 min., then plug back in WHILE simultaneously pressing and holding the power button on the front of the unit.
post #645 of 926 Old 07-15-2008, 05:30 PM

I have a 3455h/37 and a brand new 320G segeate ATA hard disk.
When i strat the machine with the new hard disk instead of original , i dont receive any load messsage only Philips in the display and a continious reboot!
What wrong ? thanks
post #646 of 926 Old 07-15-2008, 05:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaudetj View Post

I have a 3455h/37 and a brand new 320G segeate ATA hard disk.
When i strat the machine with the new hard disk instead of original , i dont receive any load messsage only Philips in the display and a continious reboot!
What wrong ? thanks

One user, bonapart, put in a new HDD and got it to run by starting the machine with a FW disc in place. Some sparse details and a bonapart link towards bottom of this page.
post #647 of 926 Old 07-15-2008, 05:59 PM

t try this with a 3575H and also a 3455H without any success. i made specific firmware disk for each machine and i try the firmware upgrade without problem. For the 3575H i have to press skip 6 5 4 to upgrade the firmware but i can't upgrade or replace the hard disk of both machine.
post #648 of 926 Old 07-16-2008, 04:10 AM

After many try , now a can see the load boot and copy, and it's work !
But when i power off the unit and back on again same message... Load ...boot ...copy and it work again.
I check in my computer to see what was writen in the Hard Disk ..Surprise Nothing 00 everywhere ! May be too much cache ( 16MB ) in the hard disk !
I will make more test tonight.
post #649 of 926 Old 07-26-2008, 05:45 AM

I loved my HDRW720 too, until 3 weeks ago.No matter what I tried, including shock treatment using zip code of 00000, the tv guide is not updating.I am packing it to an authorized service place to see what can be done about that.
post #650 of 926 Old 07-28-2008, 07:13 AM

Quote:

This exact same thing happened to my 3455h/37 yesterday. I was buring a CD and it froze. I uplugged it and then it is now in an infinte boot loop. I tried a firmware CD, resetting it, changing DVD drives - nothing seems to work. I m afraid it is toast.

Has anybody experience this and been able to fix it???

falcon
post #651 of 926 Old 08-01-2008, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Has anyone had their disc drawer start getting stuck? Recently mine has been refusing to open, and the word "blocked" appears in the front panel display.

Sometimes I have to try a half dozen times before it finally opens.

Oddly enough, it seems to NOT happen if there's a disc in the drawer. Only when it's empty.

Obviously the solution for now is keep a disc in the drawer, but all that's doing is ignoring the problem.

Has anyone else had this happen, and did you figure out what it was and get it fixed somehow?
post #652 of 926 Old 08-21-2008, 11:19 AM
Advanced Member

My disc drawer now appears to be permanently stuck.

I haven't tried "hitting on top" or "holding STOP for 10 sec" but if these do not work, any suggestions?

Has anyone actually fixed this problem?
post #653 of 926 Old 08-22-2008, 02:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6volt View Post

My disc drawer now appears to be permanently stuck.

I haven't tried "hitting on top" or "holding STOP for 10 sec" but if these do not work, any suggestions?

Has anyone actually fixed this problem?

I sort of "gently" pried mine open with a regular screwdriver 2 times. Now I just leave a blank DVD in the Tray at all times and it opens and closes perfectly. It is a most simple and inexpensive "fix".
post #654 of 926 Old 08-22-2008, 12:28 PM
Advanced Member

I did the screwdriver thing too, I could feel part of the linear track start to move, but there was clearly some substantial part hitting something. Whether that part would pop back to where it was supposed to be before it would break - I wasn't about to take that chance.

Naturally, my electronics bench has about 4 different repairs on it that aren't finished....

Argh....
post #655 of 926 Old 08-22-2008, 04:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6volt View Post

I did the screwdriver thing too, I could feel part of the linear track start to move, but there was clearly some substantial part hitting something. Whether that part would pop back to where it was supposed to be before it would break - I wasn't about to take that chance.

Naturally, my electronics bench has about 4 different repairs on it that aren't finished....

Argh....

Try "Holding Stop Button" for 10-20 sec. Try it several times. Mine wouldn't always open on the first try. If it opens, just put a blank DVD in the tray and get on with your life.
post #656 of 926 Old 08-22-2008, 08:49 PM
Advanced Member

I tried the hold stop a bunch of times and it didn't work.

Since my unit is in a stack of other components, hitting the top of the case was not possible. So I slid it out just over an inch so I could hit it with the tops of my knuckles. I initiated OPEN and started hitting it from the bottom about twice a second.

It opened on the first attempt while hitting it.

It really didn't take much of a thumping to get it to open.

So I now keep a CD in it.
post #657 of 926 Old 08-22-2008, 10:51 PM
Advanced Member

I think the DVD Tray is "catching" against the top of the surrounding casing. The tiny added weight of the DVD may be dropping it just enough to clear the obstruction. That's my theory, anyway.
post #658 of 926 Old 08-24-2008, 08:10 PM

Keep in mind that you will get more features out of using the DVD+RW. Like the ability to add your own chapter markers. Only available with the DVD+RW not the regular DVDR disks.
post #659 of 926 Old 08-27-2008, 01:29 PM

Anyone know if it's possible to play DivX .avi files from a hard drive on this player? It seems like it would be possible since it can decode DivX files from the dvd drive. Has anyone tried anything like this? Sure would be nice to be able to put a 500gb drive full of DivX files in this player when you're not using it as a DVR. I've had this unit for about a year and don't really have any complaints. I need to upgrade the hard drive and it would be nice if someone figured out DivX from hdd option.
post #660 of 926 Old 09-04-2008, 03:54 PM

This may seem an odd question but here it goes: Does anybody here knows how to reset the region code to the default (or how to set it to an arbitrary one 1 to 6)?

The reason is that there are some specific DVDs that REQUIRE the region to be set accordingly and won't play if the player is set to region code 0. "Artificial Intelligence" is one title that I remember behaving that way.

Could it be possible that one of the zeros in the 0 0 8 6 0 0 0 hack is the region code and changing it to 1, 2, 3... etc. sets back the region code?

Thanks!
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page