Philips DVDR3455H/37 - Page 30 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #871 of 925 Old 06-01-2010, 10:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The same thing has happened with me. I was putting the sata without designating the drivers as a masters. After putting the sata with designating the drivers as a masters it works perfectly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #872 of 925 Old 07-05-2010, 10:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Frwd View Post

I did not get a copy of the 3455 HDD. I only have a copy of the Easus boot disk.

On the Easus boot disk do you use the Clone function or the Disk copy function to copy the disk?

The new sata drive and the Philips 3455 drive both show up as unallocated with the 3455H set to slave or master. So do I use the disk copy function to copy the 3455 HDD to Sata? Because the clone function does not give me any part of the 3455h HDD to chioce to clone. Lots of question

Do I need to wipe the partition off the SATA drive first before I copy the 3455 HDD to the SATA or will the program take care of that for me?

I can still put the Philips drive in the 3455 and it still work, (it has a the bad sector that pauses the picture and the voice keeps going on. This does not happen very often though.)

Thanks for all your help. I am just one of those people that likes to learn.

Did you get it to work?
post #873 of 925 Old 08-13-2010, 05:08 AM
Advanced Member

The Silence is too much.
post #874 of 925 Old 09-03-2010, 07:45 PM

Sorry for the long silence timtofly, I was on vacation and then could not get back into the form.

I have not tried to copy yet I wanted to get another DVR before I did. I got the Magnavox 2160 so I can still record shows while I play around with the Philips 3455H. I am going to try it out on Tuesday after the wife and kids go back to school so I can pay attention to what I am doing. I’ll give you an update on it next week. If I wipe it out I will have a very unhappy family, we a lot of movies on the HDD.
post #875 of 925 Old 09-26-2010, 10:28 PM

Hey guys,

I am new here, so I hope this problem has not come up before. I tried to find it within the 30 pages on the Phillips DVDR3455H, but I struck out.

I have only had the infamous drawer problem with this unit up until now. Today I went to record another disc from the HDD and with every disc I try, I get a short clicking noise from the recorder.

I can still record to the HDD for use as a DVR and I can still watch previously-recorded DVDs from the same machine and some variants of store-bought DVD movies (though not all store-bought discs work in this machine).

I am just no longer able to record to the DVD+Rs from the HDD, which I have a great deal of shows left to move to disc.

Again, I apologize if this has already been asked. I have followed several threads here and appreciate all of you guy's knowledge and hope you can help me with this problem.

IF the recorder drive needs to be replaced, please let me know what brand to get. I am a PC tech, so I am no stranger to installation and replacements of drives, cables, etc.

I sent an email to Phillips, but with the machine out of the measily 1yr warranty, I doubt they will help.

Thanks for any help you can give.

-Soldiers10
post #876 of 925 Old 09-27-2010, 12:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soldiers10 View Post

Hey guys,

I am new here, so I hope this problem has not come up before. I tried to find it within the 30 pages on the Phillips DVDR3455H, but I struck out.

Thanks for any help you can give.

-Soldiers10

This is a 3455 and not a 720?
Have you tried a DVD-R? Or another brand?
post #877 of 925 Old 10-20-2010, 11:34 PM

Good morning,

I have a major problem I tried updating the firmware from R07 to R10 on my 3455 and received an error message that it didn't go through, now my 3455 has a blank blue screen and the display shows load ,copy ,error and then the tray opens. I tried uplugging the unit and so far I get the same error message on the display. I can't get pass the blue screen, the remote only open and closes the tray. Is this unit toast? Does anyone have any suggestions? I think the firmware disk was not corupted because it did recognize and ask if I wanted to contine, once I clicked okay I received the error message stating that it couldn't be upgraded. Is there anyway to get it bck to its original state? Any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated.
post #878 of 925 Old 10-21-2010, 06:18 AM
Advanced Member

What happens when you put the firmware disk in again?

Your hard drive may have been starting to fail and the area that new firmware needed to access was corrupted.

If booting with the firmware disk in does not prompt you to install the firmware, then I would say the hard drive is toast.

If it does give you an install firmware prompt, then I would re-download the firmware and burn another firmware disc and try that. The firmware I used, I burned it onto a DVD. Some say to use a CD. Maybe try the one you did not use the first time.

Was the 3455 acting up before the firmware upgrade?
post #879 of 925 Old 10-21-2010, 08:45 AM

Thanks for the quick response, the unit now only displays load with no response from the unit or the remote. The unit had a couple of issues like freezing up ,wrong date and time, recording the incorrect channel and lets not forget the draw issue. I wish I never tied to update the unit , at least it was serving its purpose. I guess I will have to start using my archos 605 wifi until I get a replacement any suggestions?
post #880 of 925 Old 10-21-2010, 10:40 AM
Advanced Member

How attached are you to how the 3455 operates? Funai now manufactures the Next Generations of the 3455. The Very first thread (Magnavox 2080/2160/513 and Philips 3575/3576) covers all the info of current models. The First page has all the links for any question you have. The latest the 513 has both a digital and analogue tuner and a standard 320 Gig hardrive. The User interface is different and the way it handles may have a learning curve. There are friendly people here that will help you in making your decision.

If you are comfortable with replacing the hard drive, it is possible to replace yours with another 160 or even 250 replacement drive. See post #814 to #818 in this thread. This is a hobby for me and all I ask is that one handles all shipping returns. If you are going to get rid of the 3455, I would be interested in the unit for parts for a reasonable offer.
post #881 of 925 Old 10-21-2010, 11:21 PM

Hi

After I spoke with the phillips support desk rep and he basically told me the unit was no good and not repairable, I decided to try your suggestion of using a dvd disk instead of the cd-r and guess what, it worked. The unit is updated and working again . Thank you for your assistance and I will continue to read this thread because the information here is so valuable.Thanks again
post #882 of 925 Old 10-22-2010, 06:33 AM
Advanced Member

I am glad that worked for you. You can now create title names for both the Hard Drive and any DVD titles with 20 characters, instead of 8.
post #883 of 925 Old 10-27-2010, 06:43 AM
Advanced Member

Bumped the link for the firmware upgrade:

http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/d...=Link_Software

While it does allow you to make titles 20 characters long on both the HDD and any DVD you "burn", I also noticed that it takes away the ability when playing a title on the dvd to hit return to get back to the menu. You have to either hit the HDD or Tuner button and then go back into the DVD menu. Another note, it seems to "work" better if you burn the firmware onto a DVD.
post #884 of 925 Old 11-13-2010, 04:28 AM

I put some music vids on a dvd from my computerand tried to play it on my dvr(Philips 3455H) and I cant get the dvr to do anything. It tries to read the disc and cycles from off to trying to read it. I can't use machine for anything or get tray to open. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
post #885 of 925 Old 11-13-2010, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by hornet64 View Post

I put some music vids on a dvd from my computerand tried to play it on my dvr(Philips 3455H) and I cant get the dvr to do anything. It tries to read the disc and cycles from off to trying to read it. I can't use machine for anything or get tray to open. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

If the DVD Drive is open at the right side the white drive gear may be rotated toward the front to open the disc tray, see the photo and illustrations here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...nt=39#DVDeject

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #886 of 925 Old 11-15-2010, 11:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornet64 View Post

On the bottom of the unit under the DVD is a narrow slot. With a screw driver start on the inside and "catch" the plastic and work it towards the outside edge. This is the release for the tray. You can do this with the unit unplugged. You can leave the tray open, when you power it back up, it will automatically close.
post #887 of 925 Old 11-17-2010, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geneva4 View Post

good morning,

i have a major problem i tried updating the firmware from r07 to r10 on my 3455 and received an error message that it didn't go through, now my 3455 has a blank blue screen and the display shows load ,copy ,error and then the tray opens. I tried uplugging the unit and so far i get the same error message on the display. I can't get pass the blue screen, the remote only open and closes the tray. Is this unit toast? Does anyone have any suggestions? I think the firmware disk was not corupted because it did recognize and ask if i wanted to contine, once i clicked okay i received the error message stating that it couldn't be upgraded. Is there anyway to get it bck to its original state? Any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated.

here are some things. You have to have the right type of "burn disk" one program that works is cd burner xp ! First make a iso image just paste all 4 files in the window after image is made burn it! That should work if not the do data burn and paste in. After disk is in drive and you power on, some times you have to hold the button for the dvd drive in you have to do it between the blinks. Also if you are using a different type of hdd sometimes you have to put the jumper in some brands require master some cable select
and some slave.. Hope this helps
post #888 of 925 Old 12-05-2010, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Guys? Over the last few days I've done another DVD drawer repair on my 3455. A simple rubber band and the machine was back in business. I'd like to be able to stop doing these once or twice a year fixes, tho'. Does anyone remember the source to go to for the actual drive belt?

Also, two other questions-

Was or is there a source for replacement remotes for this machine? Preferably identical?

Should I do the firmware upgrade? Does the 'it also takes away a feature' thing make a big difference?
post #889 of 925 Old 12-06-2010, 10:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof View Post

Guys? Over the last few days I've done another DVD drawer repair on my 3455. A simple rubber band and the machine was back in business. I'd like to be able to stop doing these once or twice a year fixes, tho'. Does anyone remember the source to go to for the actual drive belt?

Also, two other questions-

Was or is there a source for replacement remotes for this machine? Preferably identical?

Should I do the firmware upgrade? Does the 'it also takes away a feature' thing make a big difference?

I have never had a problem at all in that department. I am wondering though: on all my machines, I used to have to open the drawer via the manual way (the slot on the bottom). I am wondering if that did not wear down the plastic in the mechanism that might be too binding for the "rubber" bands. Maybe if you manually moved that slider back in forth a couple of times if it would cause less wear and tear on your replacements.

I am sorry, but other than going through Philips for the remote... You might try a local TV repair shop to see if they have some more robust rubber bands.

The feature that the firmware takes away is this: I always check the last couple of titles on a disk to see how they play after I have burned the disk. If you hit the back button (the one under the Timer button or the lower left one under the circle of buttons) it will take you back to the list of titles on the DVD. This feature no longer works. You have to hit either the HDD or the Tuner button and then go back to the DVD button.

If you do not use the "back" button on DVD's then having the ability of using 20 characters to name titles both on the HDD and DVD's would warrant an upgrade.
post #890 of 925 Old 12-06-2010, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Found a remote replacement source-
http://www.philips.newremotecontrol....m=242254900971

As for the upgrade software, I've become a bit wary.

I downloaded both the zip file with the upgrade, and the readme file.

The readme file keeps showing up corrupted. (Adobe Reader X won't open it and says it must have been corrupted each time.)

I'm now fearful of trying to use the zip file to do the upgrade, in case that arrived corrupted too. (Tho' winzip does open it.)

Does anyone here have a copy of the readme file?
post #891 of 925 Old 12-07-2010, 02:00 PM
Advanced Member

Try this link.

I used a DVD to burn the upgrade onto.
post #892 of 925 Old 02-14-2011, 05:27 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I have a 3455H where the HDD is getting dodgy. I believe it is related to fragmentation since the unit is some years old and the HDD has been near full a number of times - right now it is about 85% full. But here is the problem:

When I record something new, it destroys the ability of a previous recording to jump to the next "fragment." So I've lost a number of cherished TV captures because of this.

So I really need to get everything off that drive and either format it or replace it.

So is there a way to basically clone the drive onto another one. I saw there was recent discussion of this in this thread but it seemed like that discussion was never completed. It sounds like you use Easus and clone even though the drive looks unformated. I'd just like to be sure about this if I'm going to attempt it because the content of this drive is very dear to me.

I have also had problems selecting titles and burning to DVD. Evidently, when jumping to the next fragment, something goes haywire and the DVD hangs at that point with nothing apparently after it. I tried recording each track individually into the remaining space on the DVD (VERY tedious process) and that seemed to work.

I'm thinking that cloning the drive will not run into these problems because, hopefully, clone, simply records the sectors without caring about actual files/titles.

So my questions:
  1. Can the OE drive be cloned?
  2. Should I get rid of the OE drive and replace with a new one?
  3. Which new one?

Thanks in advance,
Tom

PS. my firmware is ..._37_R19.10

EDIT: PPS: It just occurred to me that clone my HD won't let me hang if off my PC which is really what I want to do - make it a permanent server. I guess I can clone to preserve it on a fresh drive but then simply keep the 3455 as a "one drive server"
post #893 of 925 Old 02-15-2011, 10:03 AM
Advanced Member

The Drive you need is a PATA 160 Gig drive.
Depending on where the drive is failing, you should get an exact copy with Easus. There is still a possability that some titles may still be damaged, but the new drive should work just fine. Using the old drive is at your own risk. A drive may self repair to some extent, but drives are not really made for permanent storage. It is recommended that drives be replaced every so often to ensure the data is not lost. Having a hard copy is the best, although even those should periodically be copied also to preserve the copies.
post #894 of 925 Old 02-15-2011, 02:04 PM
Advanced Member

Any 160 PATA will work? EDIT: What about drive rpm?

If I clone, what model Philips will read that drive. Obviously the 3455, but will any of the newer ones? Like the one with digital tuner? Or even the Magnavox 513/515??

Should I forget about trying to figure out how to read that drive on a PC - even if a Linux OS?

What would be nice if there was a recovery software that would retrieve the lost chains because it would be so easy to reconnect them since it is video and not data.

As far as Easus, just Clone? Is 3.0 Home version OK? Nothing else to do? Can clone onto a larger drive for archive?

Thanks, I'll keep thread informed on my progress, but I warn all, I am really pretty much buried with other fires to put out.
post #895 of 925 Old 02-16-2011, 05:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6volt View Post

Any 160 PATA will work? EDIT: What about drive rpm?

Yes, should not be a problem.
Quote:

If I clone, what model Philips will read that drive. Obviously the 3455, but will any of the newer ones? Like the one with digital tuner? Or even the Magnavox 513/515??

Just the 3455. Based on firmware.
Quote:

Should I forget about trying to figure out how to read that drive on a PC - even if a Linux OS? What would be nice if there was a recovery software that would retrieve the lost chains because it would be so easy to reconnect them since it is video and not data.

Hard Disk File System investigation for the Magnavox 2080/2160/513
Quote:

As far as Easus, just Clone? Is 3.0 Home version OK? Nothing else to do? Can clone onto a larger drive for archive?

You can clone to a larger drive, but will still be the same size 160 gig, or see above. I have only been able to get the 3455 to recognize 250 Gigs.
Quote:

Thanks, I'll keep thread informed on my progress, but I warn all, I am really pretty much buried with other fires to put out.

post #896 of 925 Old 02-16-2011, 07:49 AM
Advanced Member

I found an advanced thread on this topic here.

Some highlights from that long thread:
  • Ubuntu will read the OE drive
  • The OS is a real time OS, VXWORKS
  • There is mention of a program Gparted too.

One person's method:
  1. Rip w/Hex Workshop
  2. Open w/Isobuster (will get many MPEG2 files)
  3. Convert to AVI w/Pinnacle TREX
  4. Cut & Merge w/Adobe Premiere

If Ubunty sees the drive, I wonder if Game Over and I can watch content on that Ubuntu PC?
post #897 of 925 Old 02-17-2011, 03:05 PM
Advanced Member

Just thought of this:

If the 3455 can take any 160/250 hard drive, it would make sense to get a A/V streaming type drive.

Is this correct thinking?

Thanks
Tom
post #898 of 925 Old 02-18-2011, 01:59 PM
Advanced Member

They may last longer seeing that that is what they are designed for. Hard to come by though. Now the people on the other thread said that they were able to get a 320 and a 500 to work. I would love to get the first gig ISO of those drives. I tried, but the 3455 that I have, would just not initialize that size. If you buy a SATA to PATA that allows the sata to be seen as a master adaptor, you can also use SATA drives (both 3.5 and 2.5).
post #899 of 925 Old 04-06-2011, 09:05 PM

Timtofly
I did not realize it had been over a year from my last post. I got the 160 gig SATA drive to work and now have a 320 I am going to try and clone to see if I can get more life out of my 3455H.
I like this unit because after backing up to the start of a show and recording it you only loose the buffer on the back side of the show and keep everything after you are done recording.
But on the 2160 it clears the back of the recording from where you start, which it should do, but takes everything that is left in the buffer on the front end and puts it into your recording. Then you have to edit out the end of the recording so you just have what you want.
I'm looking into the Mag 515 with the 500 gig hard drive I have read a lot of good things about it.
post #900 of 925 Old 04-16-2011, 09:17 AM

Hi Tim,

I see you've help people with Philips 3455H by formatting Hard Drives for them. Would I be able to send you a hard drive to format for me?

Could you email me at john@davidsonfamilyfarm.ca?

Also wondering how I do this to pay for shipping while I live in Canada.

Thanks for your time.

John
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page