Philips DVDR3455H/37 - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 927 Old 09-20-2006, 08:15 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by wabjxo View Post

At that price, you're fairly close to a Pioneer 640...$347 shipped!

The Polaroid price of $219 at Wal-Mart is a little more "distant," but $270?

Yea, I've been reading about that Polaroid. It is suppose to be very much like this Phillips. I just found out that I have to add $18 tax to that $270 price so that probably kills the deal. Plus, I like the idea of buying a similar unit at WalMart where I can return it easily if need be. Thanks again!

shortspark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 927 Old 09-20-2006, 11:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by milacqua View Post

Yea, I've been reading about that Polaroid. It is suppose to be very much like this Phillips. I just found out that I have to add $18 tax to that $270 price so that probably kills the deal. Plus, I like the idea of buying a similar unit at WalMart where I can return it easily if need be. Thanks again!

Wal-Mart is where I bought my Philips 3455H/37. Here locally they are out of stock on them right now. The Main things you lose with the Polaroid are 5 hours of Live TV "cache" and 80gb of HDD space. You also lose the stereo tuner if you go with the Polaroid. The extra $$ for the Philips would be worth it to me if it was an "either/or" scenario. YMMV. Just wanted you to be aware of these things before you bought. The 6 hr "live tv cache" on the Philips is nice. If I happen to be watching a football game (or any other show) and it turns out to be a really good one, all I have to do is Press and Hold the record button for 3 seconds and it will dump the "tv cache" to the HDD automatically where I can edit it for a keeper. I would find the 1 hr. "live tv cache" on the Polaroid a bit limiting now that I am used to the 6hr. "cache" on the Philips.

I just checked WalMarts website and no sign of the DVDR3455H/37. They must have dropped it. Probably getting too many returns on it due to "No Chase Play of an HDD Recording in Progress." : P
post #93 of 927 Old 09-21-2006, 03:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Thanks fullonshred, that cache thing is good to know and six hours would be great. Boy, decisions, decisions! I also did not see the Philips on the Walmart website when I looked earlier so as you say, they must no longer carry them. They still have the Polaroid. The source I found the DVDR3455H for $270 was at the Philips direct own site. They have it for $299 plus 10 percent off with a coupon they show right on their site. Free shipping too but nearly $20 tax may kill it for me. I think their deal if good for a few more days so I'll keep reading and looking around before I make a decision.

shortspark
post #94 of 927 Old 09-21-2006, 06:10 PM
Advanced Member

Glad to be of some small assistance milacqua. I think the Polaroid has a few abilities that the Philips lacks as far as remote control functions, so it cuts both ways to a degree. A one hr. cahce wouldn't work for me now that I know what it is capable of though. I can Turn On the Philips to Tuner Mode, pick my channel - then switch to HDD Mode and edit or watch a pre-recorded program and when I am done, switch back to Tuner, back up the video cache, and watch what was on that channel while I was messing with the HardDrive. You might want to check your local WalMarts or Sam's Club - they may possibly have one left on the shelf. You never know.
post #95 of 927 Old 09-23-2006, 09:00 AM

I bought the HDRW 720/17 a year ago from costco. I think all the bad reviews are correct. The machine is full with bugs, crashes about 2-3 times a week. Had to call CS about 2 time a month.
But I have to say still better than not having a HDRW drive and having to use a old fashion VCR. (I got used to have all my favorite shows recorded automatically)
Also I got used to have a TV-Guide built in. I check all upcoming movies for the next week and click on record, whatever I am interested in.
Now I shipped the HDRW720 back to Phfillips (got tired of constant crashes and lost TV-Guide) and just learned Philips will most likely ship back an upgraded unit, the DVDR3455H which has no longer a TV-Guide... sure it has a bigger hard drive, but I really bought the old unit for the TV-Guide feature.
Any recommendation what to do with this one or which unit to buy (with TV-Guide) ???

Thanks
post #96 of 927 Old 09-23-2006, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullOnShred View Post

Glad to be of some small assistance milacqua. I think the Polaroid has a few abilities that the Philips lacks as far as remote control functions, so it cuts both ways to a degree. A one hr. cahce wouldn't work for me now that I know what it is capable of though. I can Turn On the Philips to Tuner Mode, pick my channel - then switch to HDD Mode and edit or watch a pre-recorded program and when I am done, switch back to Tuner, back up the video cache, and watch what was on that channel while I was messing with the HardDrive. You might want to check your local WalMarts or Sam's Club - they may possibly have one left on the shelf. You never know.

That 6 hour cashe sounds sweet. I went with the Polaroid so I'm stuck with the one hour. I do have a HDDVR from my cable company though so I can live with it.

Is the Philips hardware hackable? Has anyone tried to replace the hard drive or burner? It would be great to know. Thanks!
post #97 of 927 Old 09-23-2006, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by nextoo View Post

That 6 hour cashe sounds sweet. I went with the Polaroid so I'm stuck with the one hour. I do have a HDDVR from my cable company though so I can live with it.

Is the Philips hardware hackable? Has anyone tried to replace the hard drive or burner? It would be great to know. Thanks!

Check the polaroid thread here. I have added a 250 gig hd to mine and it formatted and works perfectly in it, has 105 hours in SP mode.
Others have added even bigger drives and some have found alternate burners that work too, so far none of my extra burners have but I only tried a few I had loose here.
post #98 of 927 Old 09-23-2006, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartman View Post

Check the polaroid thread here. I have added a 250 gig hd to mine and it formatted and works perfectly in it, has 105 hours in SP mode.
Others have added even bigger drives and some have found alternate burners that work too, so far none of my extra burners have but I only tried a few I had loose here.

Thanks Dartman it was because of you that I now have a 500 gig in my Polaroid. I posted in the Polaroid thread that I did find two burners that work. An NEC which is a rebadged liteon and a BTC. The model numbers are in my original post.
post #99 of 927 Old 09-23-2006, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I guess you were asking if the Philips can be upgraded I don't see why not, as far as I know they both use the same board with different firmware and a few different hardware jacks plugged in so I'd bet a bigger drive will simply plug in and work for that one also.
post #100 of 927 Old 09-23-2006, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartman View Post

I guess you were asking if the Philips can be upgraded I don't see why not, as far as I know they both use the same board with different firmware and a few different hardware jacks plugged in so I'd bet a bigger drive will simply plug in and work for that one also.

Exactly. I was wondering if anyone had attempted it.
post #101 of 927 Old 09-26-2006, 07:47 PM

Picked one up at walmart over the weekend. Was considering the polaroid but the lack of a stereo tuner in the polaroid bugged me. Seemed to be the last unit the walmart had. I really like the picture quality and so far it beats the heck out of my 14 year old Zenith VCR that died. And I really liked the old VCR which had a good remote and a lot of features for its time.

If I could improve the Philips DVDR3455H I would like the ability to toggle the clock on or off on the display, some sort of chase play while recording, ability to move data from DVD to the HDD, an online TV Guide, a better remote, and maybe dual tuners. I also like the fact that it is firmware upgradeable though I haven't tried to upgrade the firmware yet. Anyway as a replacement and upgrade to a 14 year old VCR it is definately a keeper.

Richard
post #102 of 927 Old 09-28-2006, 01:59 PM

Upgraded to the latest firmware. Downloaded and burned to a CD went well just followed the directions. Although updating the firmware was fairly easy as some one previusly reported it did not fix or change much on the unit. Anyway got the latest firmware and wil occasionally check philips site for updates.

Richard
post #103 of 927 Old 09-29-2006, 09:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextoo View Post

Exactly. I was wondering if anyone had attempted it.

nextoo, I haven't tried an HDD upgrade yet because 160gb is ok for me for the moment. Here is something I do wonder about for Polaroid users who Upgrade to bigger HDDs - would the Philips Firmware give you folks the 6 hr. Live TV Cache? And what would you lose with the Philips Firmware? And is there anyone here talented enough to Hack and Combine the Philips and the Polaroid Firmwares so we can all get the best of both worlds? I know I certainly am not in that League of ability. But I find it an interesesting thought at least. The Polaroid Remote has some nice features/abilities that the Philips lacks.
post #104 of 927 Old 09-30-2006, 03:34 PM

This has been an interesting thread. I've got my eye on the Philips 160 GB unit or something similar to it once I've worn out my Samsung R130 transferring my tapes to DVD. I really love the slim line, which is one of the things that drew me to my Samsung. I've noticed a lot of people seem to value the "chase play" feature. I do respect someone else's need for the "chase play" feature, assuming I understand what I think it is: watching one show while another is recording, but I need to clarify something just for my own information.

For someone like myself without HDTV or cable, would this really be an important feature? In other words, for a unit without this feature, could one achieve the same result by taking one's universal remote, going back to TV and hitting "video" in order to enjoy a program while something else was recording, or to even enjoy a program in progress while one was recording on another tuner? I ask because that's exactly what I do with my Samsung recorder.

Keeping the above in mind, would the Philips be a good buy for someone who didn't want to spend a lot and who wouldn't otherwise need chase play if the end result can be achieved by another method? Or is the money better spent on a TiVo?

Thanks in advance for the perspective!
post #105 of 927 Old 09-30-2006, 09:07 PM
Advanced Member

MissIris....You can indeed watch a Different Previously Recorded show while the HDD is recording a new one. But you Can Not Jump to the Start of the Program you are Currently recording and Begin watching That Same Program. That is a feature I dearly miss in the Philips, and for the life of me don't understand why it Isn't enabled. If you are using the 6 hr. "Live TV Buffer" you can back it up and begin watching at the very start of the show that is curently buffering(recording) in the HDD Cache. But not possible with a Timer Started Recording In Progress. : ( : ( : (

You can only view the currently recording channel by using the "Tuner" section of the Philips. You can Not change channels on the Philips unless you Stop the Recording.

I got a Killer (total luck) deal on the Philips($115 tax incl.) . It is "just Ok" at $298. If I had to spend $298 I would personally pony up the extra $$$ for the Pioneer 640 ( $52 more) or the Panasonic EH-55 ($131 more) for the capability of TRUE Chase Play of an In Progress Recording. But then that function obviously means a lot to me.
post #106 of 927 Old 10-01-2006, 05:43 PM

Seems to me since you can record from the buffer and pause a recording from the buffer you should be able to do the same from a timer recording. I don't know what the deal is with the timer recording that makes it so different from the buffer or recording from the buffer. Hopefully they will do a firmware update that will enable pause or chase play while a timer recording is in progress.

Richard
post #107 of 927 Old 10-01-2006, 08:40 PM
Advanced Member

MissIris, I need to correct a mistake in my earlier post. When the Philips is Recording, you can Not watch a different channel. You Can watch a Previously recorded program by using the HardDrive. And of course, you could watch another channel thru your television's tuner just like with a VCR. Sorry for the misinformation in my previous post.
post #108 of 927 Old 10-05-2006, 03:10 PM

I bought one of these units about a week ago from Walmart -- but I think it may be going back for me.

I want to be able to create my own custom chapter points for recorded shows. After playing with the unit, I discovered that it's only possible to insert custom chapter marks after the recorded show has been copied to the DVD -- i.e. you can't insert custom chapter marks while it's on the HDD (and I'm not talking about auto chapter markers -- I have that feature turned off).

So after copying the recorded show to a DVD+R disc, I proceeded to manually insert my chapters marks in the desired locations. I then played the DVD to verify that they existed and worked -- which they did. Then I finalized the DVD and verified that the chapters still worked in the Phillips recorder. Next I took the DVD and put it in a seperate DVD player -- guess what???! The chapters don't work. In fact, it says I have two titles (I only recorded one to the disk) and only 1 chapter. I even tried playing the DVD in a computer and got the same results.

I checked and the recorder has firmware revision 19.07 -- I noticed that there's been two firmware releases in the past couple of months, but the readme doesn't mention anything about chapter markers. I will try updating the firmware, but can anyone verify if this is still true for the latest firmware?

So this upsets me that I can't create chapter markers with this unit that will work in other DVD players. Enough that I am considering returning the unit.

I'd be interested to hear how others might be creating chapters markers using computer software. Do I have to buy a high-end package to do this or can I get by with something more basic (for inserting chapters and re-burning on a computer).

Also, I can't stand the background image or the menu -- there is no choice and it puts a big arrow at the top that takes you to some generic screen with a big regtangular box with the words NTSC and Edit inside (I think it's left over from the burn process on the recorder). I heard that the latest firmware removes /changes the background -- guess I'll have to try it.

Thanks.

Rob
post #109 of 927 Old 10-05-2006, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sl1r3 View Post

I bought one of these units about a week ago from Walmart -- but I think it may be going back for me.

I want to be able to create my own custom chapter points for recorded shows. After playing with the unit, I discovered that it's only possible to insert custom chapter marks after the recorded show has been copied to the DVD -- i.e. you can't insert custom chapter marks while it's on the HDD (and I'm not talking about auto chapter markers -- I have that feature turned off).

So after copying the recorded show to a DVD+R disc, I proceeded to manually insert my chapters marks in the desired locations. I then played the DVD to verify that they existed and worked -- which they did. Then I finalized the DVD and verified that the chapters still worked in the Phillips recorder. Next I took the DVD and put it in a seperate DVD player -- guess what???! The chapters don't work. In fact, it says I have two titles (I only recorded one to the disk) and only 1 chapter. I even tried playing the DVD in a computer and got the same results.

I checked and the recorder has firmware revision 19.07 -- I noticed that there's been two firmware releases in the past couple of months, but the readme doesn't mention anything about chapter markers. I will try updating the firmware, but can anyone verify if this is still true for the latest firmware?

So this upsets me that I can't create chapter markers with this unit that will work in other DVD players. Enough that I am considering returning the unit.

I'd be interested to hear how others might be creating chapters markers using computer software. Do I have to buy a high-end package to do this or can I get by with something more basic (for inserting chapters and re-burning on a computer).

Also, I can't stand the background image or the menu -- there is no choice and it puts a big arrow at the top that takes you to some generic screen with a big regtangular box with the words NTSC and Edit inside (I think it's left over from the burn process on the recorder). I heard that the latest firmware removes /changes the background -- guess I'll have to try it.

Thanks.

Rob

Why can't you edit things on the HDD and then burn to DVD? I would upgrade to the latest firmware also. The firmware upgrade didn't upgrade a lot but glad to see them putting out upgrades. I really like mine especially the pause live tv buffer I don't think I would want a unit anymore without the ability to pause live TV. I only burned a DVD to make sure that it worked burning DVD's. I should preface with the fact that I upgraded from an old VCR so the philips really beats the heck out of that. I mostly record shows to the HDD and watch them later or record or pause live tv from the buffer if there is anything I really want to keep or share will burn to DVD.

Richard
post #110 of 927 Old 10-07-2006, 05:14 PM

Is there another way to burn DVD's from HDD without YesDVD ?
post #111 of 927 Old 10-09-2006, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullOnShred View Post

MissIris....You can indeed watch a Different Previously Recorded show while the HDD is recording a new one. But you Can Not Jump to the Start of the Program you are Currently recording and Begin watching That Same Program. That is a feature I dearly miss in the Philips, and for the life of me don't understand why it Isn't enabled. If you are using the 6 hr. "Live TV Buffer" you can back it up and begin watching at the very start of the show that is curently buffering(recording) in the HDD Cache. But not possible with a Timer Started Recording In Progress. : ( : ( : (

You can only view the currently recording channel by using the "Tuner" section of the Philips. You can Not change channels on the Philips unless you Stop the Recording.

I got a Killer (total luck) deal on the Philips($115 tax incl.) . It is "just Ok" at $298. If I had to spend $298 I would personally pony up the extra $$$ for the Pioneer 640 ( $52 more) or the Panasonic EH-55 ($131 more) for the capability of TRUE Chase Play of an In Progress Recording. But then that function obviously means a lot to me.

I'm not sure I understand your answer to my question: why can't you use your TV's tuner to watch what your Philips is recording on its own tuner? Am I missing something? Maybe that's what I'm not understanding about why the chase play feature is a big deal. Thanks again for your perspective.
post #112 of 927 Old 10-09-2006, 08:42 PM
Advanced Member

Miss Iris, you can indeed watch the channel you are recording thru the Philips tuner, but you can't switch the Philps' tuner to a different channel while recording is in progress.

And you can ALWAYS just let the Philips keep recording and watch ANY channel you want thru your television's tuner.

Here's what I love about True Chase Play. For instance, if I am away from home and a recording begins at 7pm. Say I then I get home at 8p.m. but the recording won't be thru until say 10p.m. With true chase play, I can just pick up the remote, press the Play button, and the show that started recording at 7p.m. (and won't finish until 10p.m.) will begin to play from the very beginning of the recording so I don't have to wait until 10pm (when the recording process ends) to begin watching my ballgame, or other program from the very start of the recording. I can actually watch my program from the very beginning while the Panasonic is still recording the remainder of my show! Yaaay!! I LOVE that feature! It also allows me to FF/Skip thru all the commercials unless I "catch up" to the point the program is currently recording.

IMHO, the inability of the Philips DVDR 3455/37 to do this on a Pre-Programmed Recording that is still in progress is a glaring and needless weakness that diminishes the units overall value considerably.
post #113 of 927 Old 10-09-2006, 08:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-eighty-fiver View Post

Is there another way to burn DVD's from HDD without YesDVD ?

Absolutely. I never use the YesDVD for recording.

Put a Blank DVD+/-R (or +/-RW) in the DVD Tray. Press the "HDD" button on the remote. Scroll thru your recorded programs until you find the one or ones you want to burn to DVD. Press the "Select" button on the remote. It will add this program to the "Recording Que". It will also show a "Status Bar" in the upper Rt hand corner that shows how much space of a Blank DVD this will take, and what percentage remains available for other programs. If you have room and want to, you just continue to highlight and "Select" recordings until you reach 100% of your DVD blank space. Then, you press the "HDD" button on the remote and the selected programs will begin to burn to your Blank DVD disc. How long it takes depends on how many shows and the length and the original recording speed of the shows you are recording. Each different program you select will be burned as a seperate Title on the DVD Blank.
post #114 of 927 Old 10-10-2006, 06:44 AM

"IMHO, the inability of the Philips DVDR 3455/37 to do this on a Pre-Programmed Recording that is still in progress is a glaring and needless weakness that diminishes the units overall value considerably. "

As is with Panasonic DMR-EH55S's lack of a 6 hour timeshift buffer which is more important to me than recording chase play - although I would love to have chase play during recording too. I was shocked to find out that the DMR-EH55S didn't timeshift.
post #115 of 927 Old 10-10-2006, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by *hoby* View Post

"IMHO, the inability of the Philips DVDR 3455/37 to do this on a Pre-Programmed Recording that is still in progress is a glaring and needless weakness that diminishes the units overall value considerably. "

As is with Panasonic DMR-EH55S's lack of a 6 hour timeshift buffer which is more important to me than recording chase play - although I would love to have chase play during recording too. I was shocked to find out that the DMR-EH55S didn't timeshift.

Yes, I agree. Your comment pretty much sums things up in a general sense.

There will never be a recorder that is all things to all people. What is important to one may not be important to another. Thus it is important to do the research and find the device that fits your needs.
post #116 of 927 Old 10-10-2006, 09:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by *hoby* View Post

Hoby, I own the Philips but not the Panny EH-55s. I am not sure what you mean that the EH-55 won't time shift. In my understanding, True Chase Play (Like I have on DVD-Ram Discs with my Panny DMR-ES10K) is Time Shift. And it works equally well whether I just "grab the remote and press record" during "live viewing" or on a Preset Recording I come home to later. If I am misundertsanding you please help me here. I do love to learn more in this forum.

Now, I do suspect that the EH-55 doesn't have the "constant" 6 hr. buffer like the Philips 3455/37 that will allow us to switch channels and keep right on "buffering" (temporarily recording is what it is actually doing when we speak of buffering) without any action on our part. It is indeed a nice feature, and ideally I would like to have the TimeShift Buffer like the Philips unit, AND True Chase Play like the Panny.

And my main point is this - Since the Philips CAN do the Time Shift on Live TV, it makes no sense to me that it doesn't do the same thing on a Preset recording. With a 160gb HDD, I simply HAVE to believe that the ability to perform in this manner is inherent in the Philips, but for some reason, not enabled!

Where can I "go to school" to learn how to "hack" firmwares etc. etc. I really believe the Philips 3455/37 CAN be made to do Time Shift/Chase Play on a Preset Recording.
post #117 of 927 Old 10-10-2006, 06:37 PM

"I am not sure what you mean that the EH-55 won't time shift. "

FullOnShred, I didn't say the Panasonic wouldn't time shift, just that it didn't have the "Time Shift Buffer" as Philips calls it. I really like the fact that I don't need to do anything like press record to have it available and I don't have to erase it manually to get rid of it. Your point about the firmware is interesting as I have also owned the Polaroid 60 GB DVDR. It looks like the same people coded the firmware but the Polaroid has some neat features that the Phillips doesn't and vice versa. I never understand how they arrive at the features trade off that they wind up with. It really would be nice to pick and choose what features or options you had available. I was really surprised that the Philips could only "chase play" within the Time Shift Buffer and not when doing a timed recording. The Polaroid also had that same limitation
post #118 of 927 Old 10-10-2006, 10:30 PM
Advanced Member

hoby said...."I was shocked to find out that the DMR-EH55S didn't timeshift."

That's cool hoby...I just misunderstood. I really like the picture quality on the Philips,and the Live TV 6hr. Buffer is nice too. But I just HAVE to believe that True Chase Play of an In-Progress Recording is within the physical capabilities of the Philips unit with the proper firmware upgrades. I would love to be able to hack and create Hybrid Firmwares between the Philips and the Polaroid, but alas, I am a mere mortal. ; )
post #119 of 927 Old 10-12-2006, 08:09 PM

OK what am I doing wrong? I am using a cable box. However, I split the signal BEFORE the cable box to be able to use the schedule feature of the Philips. When I look at my 42 TV using the cable box and using the TV's tuner (input 1 on the TV) the picture looks great. When I look at the TV using the split before the cable box and going through the Philips tuner (input 2 on the TV) the picture looks degraded, grainy and sometimes pixilated. Of course, if I record this on the unit it will look just as poor. Why is this happening? It is almost as if the Philips DVDR3455H/37 tuner is ruining the quality of the signal. I am using a direct signal from the cable company right into the recorder and sending it to the TV using component wiring. The signal should be just as good and clear as going through the cable box. Anybody got any ideas?
post #120 of 927 Old 10-12-2006, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Try reversing the cable that goes to the cable box with the one that goes to the recorder. If it's still bad on the recorder then yeah I'd say the tuner on the recorder is the problem. But you must first rule out the signal path from the wall to the recorder, use quality cables and tighten the ends with a wrench. Slight snow in the picture can be a sign of interference getting through the shielding which can also happen at the ends if they are not wrench-tight.

EDIT: You could also take your best cable and run it straight from the wall to the recorder to see if that changes anything. Try different cables to see if they have any affect on the picture quality. If they do then at least some of the problem is due to the cables.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)