post #121 of 131 Old 03-11-2008, 08:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by dryden3 View Post

Thanks for your advice. I couldn't find a setting in the "home" menu for DST, but I did find one for "factory set" which appeared to reset everything to factory original condition. I did this, set the time/date manually, and let it go through the auto channel set. I hope it stays working from here on out.

DST or Summer Time setting is usually associated with the clock/date/time setting, and it really needs to be set off, assuming there's a setting in the first place. Too bad you couldn't find something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 131 Old 03-12-2008, 04:44 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My RC199H is still having problems. Tried turning it on today after work, same thing ("HELLO" with no picture). Picked it up and slapped the bottom a few times, then pushed power: it turned on and worked fine. It must have a loose solder connection inside. I really like this machine, but with this problem, and its DVD-reading problem that I got fixed last November, it's obviously poor quality. It would've been worth the $300 that I paid for it a year and 1/2 ago...if it never had these problems!!
post #123 of 131 Old 03-16-2008, 05:21 AM

I took the top off, and found a 10-wire connector that was only halfway connected. This connector was connected to a small circuit board directly behind the disk drive, so the repair guy who replaced the disk drive must've bumped the connector without knowing it. I pushed the connector all of the way into its socket: no more problems!

One thing that's worth noting is the disk drive in the RC199H is identical to one used in a desktop computer (same connections and everything), so if the drive in your unit starts having trouble reading disks, then it might be worth it to buy a DVD writer for a PC, install it, then see if that fixes it.
post #124 of 131 Old 11-30-2008, 01:18 AM

I'm posting here because this is the most recent post about this product I could find in this forum. I posted here back in 2006 when I first bought the machine and was very excited about it. I purchased it mainly to copy old VHS home movies to DVD and have a legacy VCR in case I ever needed one.
BIG MISTAKE!!!!

Evidently the problems I'm having with this product is very common.
If interested read the comments left on Amazon. You really only need to read one comment because they all say the exact same thing!!!

That is:
The DVD drive in this machine will gradually have problems reading ANY kind of DVD you put in it. At first you can manually eject the disk or turn the machine off and back on and it will work. However, at some point it will not read anything.

I NEVER did get around to transferring any of my old VHS home movies to DVD (life got in the way!). I NEVER recorded off cable to the DVD drive. I did record 1, thats "ONE" 20 minute RAM disk. (by the way, it would not play in anything but the LG199H).

I watched maybe (I'll be generous) 10 movies on this machine.

So in other words in the 2+ years I've had this this machine I've put 20 minutes of recording time and 20 hours of play time on it!!! It lived in a smoke free home with a dust cover on it when not in use.

Anyone been able to get this problem fixed or get some kind of satisfaction from LG?

I did read a few references to replacing the DVD drive with a standard PC IDE drive. Will any IDE drive work or does it have to be an LG.

BTW, my son bought the Panasonic ES45V (the other machine I was looking at in 2006) and he has used the heck out of his and its still going!!!
post #125 of 131 Old 05-04-2009, 11:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsdude View Post

I'm posting here because this is the most recent post about this product I could find in this forum. I posted here back in 2006 when I first bought the machine and was very excited about it. I purchased it mainly to copy old VHS home movies to DVD and have a legacy VCR in case I ever needed one.
BIG MISTAKE!!!!

Evidently the problems I'm having with this product is very common.
If interested read the comments left on Amazon. You really only need to read one comment because they all say the exact same thing!!!

That is:
The DVD drive in this machine will gradually have problems reading ANY kind of DVD you put in it. At first you can manually eject the disk or turn the machine off and back on and it will work. However, at some point it will not read anything.

I NEVER did get around to transferring any of my old VHS home movies to DVD (life got in the way!). I NEVER recorded off cable to the DVD drive. I did record 1, thats "ONE" 20 minute RAM disk. (by the way, it would not play in anything but the LG199H).

I watched maybe (I'll be generous) 10 movies on this machine.

So in other words in the 2+ years I've had this this machine I've put 20 minutes of recording time and 20 hours of play time on it!!! It lived in a smoke free home with a dust cover on it when not in use.

Anyone been able to get this problem fixed or get some kind of satisfaction from LG?

I did read a few references to replacing the DVD drive with a standard PC IDE drive. Will any IDE drive work or does it have to be an LG.

BTW, my son bought the Panasonic ES45V (the other machine I was looking at in 2006) and he has used the heck out of his and its still going!!!

I purchased mine back in August of 06 and it sounds like we had an identical experience with this piece of junk. Like you I was very pleased with it and like you I hardley used it. I took a bat to it and purchased a Samsung.
post #126 of 131 Old 12-30-2012, 03:50 PM

I know I very late to this party but maybe one of the old timers can help me out anyway. I've had this model for years and zero problems. I've always used it on a TV using the component outputs. Now I have connected it to a new tv with the hdmi cable and it is set on 480p. I would like to change the output to 720p or even 1080i but my remote doesn't have the "resolution" button. (It was a demo unit off the floor and they just grabbed another remote apparently NOT identical though)

Can anyone tell me how I can change the resolution through the Home or setup menus? I can't find it anywhere. mad.gif

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

post #127 of 131 Old 12-30-2012, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtLarge View Post

I know I very late to this party but maybe one of the old timers can help me out anyway. I've had this model for years and zero problems. I've always used it on a TV using the component outputs. Now I have connected it to a new tv with the hdmi cable and it is set on 480p. I would like to change the output to 720p or even 1080i but my remote doesn't have the "resolution" button. (It was a demo unit off the floor and they just grabbed another remote apparently NOT identical though)
Can anyone tell me how I can change the resolution through the Home or setup menus? I can't find it anywhere. mad.gif

DOH! There is a "Resolution" button under the door of the main unit. Hit that twice and voila 720p and 1080i.

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

post #128 of 131 Old 01-25-2013, 10:22 AM

I bought my LG RC199H in 2006 from BestBuy, and have worn it out. I have recorded on DVD and tape, thousands of movies, literally, and love this machine. I also ran into copyright problems with the DVD recorder but in all the years only a few times with the VCR. I was able to tape almost all the movies on the VCR that wouldn't tape on the DVD. On the VCR the movies were distorted and off color, but they did tape. As you already know, the DVD will not do anything.

The tape deck finally went on it about 6 months ago. I took it in to be repaired and was informed the tape deck was not available any longer. I would buy this same machine in a heartbeat but I can't find one. BestBuy says that I need to buy one with a tuner and I don't understand why. The unit should record whatever the Directv cable box is bringing in. Any advice??
post #129 of 131 Old 01-25-2013, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 84
If your recording from a line output device like DirecTV box you don't need a tuner, that said if you need the VCR side then you may have to just take what they have and it may very well include a tuner. I think Toshiba may still make a tunerless combo but it probably won't be the build quality of your LG.
VCRs are dead, combos are almost dead and DVDRs in general are on life support.
Personally I'd get yourself a decent DVDR like the Magnavoxes w/HDD(if you need a DVDR) and for the VCR I'd go with a external one(not built into the DVDR). You can't purchase a new VCR but they still make some cheap ones with a DVD Recorder or just DVD player. Your best bet might be to get a decent used VCR at a pawn shop, Craigslist or thrift shop(Goodwill, etc.) where somewhat decent name brand VCRs often go for <$20, many have hardly been used.
As for your CP problems, filters can be had for anywhere from <$50 to over $100 for better ones depending on what type of input your want to filter. They will allow you to record anything to any type of recorder(including DVDRs).
post #130 of 131 Old 01-26-2013, 11:18 AM

Thanks for the input. After I left here, I googled LGRC199H and found a few on ebay. I really like the LG and am going to bid on one. Another thing I like about it is that it has coax for both, input and output. With my setup, I can watch tapes, movies or tv on other TV's throughout the house. I already have cable run to everyplace I want, so an exact replacement would be perfect. I haven't found another recorder that has a coax output.

I have another DVDVCR hooked up to my tv but it will only play DVD's and VCR tapes. It won't record or show the tv picture, no HDMI hookup. So I record DVD's (VCR is broke) on the LG and play DVD's and VCR's on the JVC. Too many machines and too many remotes. I have a Samsung Smart TV 46ES8500 and it won't accommodate it. Only 3 HDMI ports anyhow and they are all full.
post #131 of 131 Old 01-26-2013, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Combos were really the only DVDRs with RF output and not all combos had it either.
I see LG 199H's on craigslist occasionally, sometimes for what seems like great prices(~$50) they are advertised as having the super multi drive or something to that extent. I've been tempted when I see what looks like a new one going for <$50 but then I think I already have too many DVDRs.
I myself tried a 199 when it was new and really liked the looks of it, looked like a quality machine but alas I returned it and kept my Panasonic ES-30v combo. Good luck on your quest for a replacement smile.gif
For the Cali folks:
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/ele/3567551341.html
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page