Pioneer DVR 640h-S User Reports. - Page 108 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3211 of 3215 Old 09-21-2010, 02:57 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was actually pleasantly surprised when I saw the message in my e-mail inbox that there was a new posting in this thread. For a while now I have been thinking that it might be useful for this thread to get resurected as we 640H (and other Pioneer model users) make adjustments so our machines can still be usable now that we are in the digital era, about to move beyond digital to high definition in two years [the owner of our local cable company told me this last week].

In response to yoru question, the only brand of DVD-RW I have ever used is Sony and I have never had problems as you describe. Like kjbawc, I do not use them that often. My main uses for them are: 1. For programs my neighbor wants to watch that conflict with other programs, like last night when 'Dancing with the Stars,' conflicted with the season premiers (and pilots) for, "Chuck," and, "The Event." The later two were recorded and will be moved to a DVD-RW along with, "Chase," recorded while, "Hawaii Five-O," was watched. I shall be watching the same programs being movd to a DVD-RW from the Pioneer 640H before I erase them (unless I decide I want to record all the episodes and save them). 2. For temporary storage of a series episodes for later editing then burning to DVD-R. "Magnum, P.I.," is one I do as our local chanel jumps around between seasons. I temporarily keep episodes from one season on a DVD-DW.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3212 of 3215 Old 09-21-2010, 09:49 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngohit View Post

I was actually pleasantly surprised when I saw the message in my e-mail inbox that there was a new posting in this thread. For a while now I have been thinking that it might be useful for this thread to get resurected as we 640H (and other Pioneer model users) make adjustments so our machines can still be usable now that we are in the digital era, about to move beyond digital to high definition in two years [the owner of our local cable company told me this last week].

Good, I don't feel so bad now.

I'm a hold-out for "stuff that works"... I plan to keep my 640H in line for as long as I can, and amusingly, as they were vanishing from the market, I actually bought a second one that is still "brand new in the box" for when my current one breaks! How's that for planning? Or perhaps just a serious aversion to paying rent to TiVO or the cable company?

Obviously given the length of time the DVR has been in service and the fact that I've only done this transfer about a dozen times so far (rotating between two of the DVD+RWs), I don't use them often either. I was temporarily displaced from my home due to a plumbing issue, and used this method to watch previously recorded material while staying in my hotel room.

Guess I was hoping for some way to resurrect this one bad disk. I think I got them on sale for a pretty good price, so not too much invested.

Theron

---------------------------------------------------------
Theron's cruise info: tip calculator | maps | photos
post #3213 of 3215 Old 09-21-2010, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPKeller2 View Post

Is this an unusually low life for a Maxell DVD+RW?

I have a number of Maxell DVD-RW discs, some of which have been reused over 50 times. But I never finalize them - I just use them for long-term timeshifting of video-mode content.
post #3214 of 3215 Old 09-21-2010, 03:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I have a few Maxell -RW that I use mostly in my PC for time-shifting of video downloaded from Europe. Some info below.

1)) The Maxell discs were all purchased around the same time, approximately two years ago.

2)) As illustrated in my included images, some have a CMCW02 MID and some have a RITECW01 MID.

3)) These three particular discs each have around 50 to 75 re-write cycles. The majority of rewrites made on my PC but a few rewrites made on my 780 stand-alone.

Here is an interesting part that I can't explain.
One of these three discs will no longer erase in my PC burner when data is written on it using the same PC burner. I can put the disc in my stand-alone, erase it and then my PC burner will once again recognize the disc as a blank -RW - at this point my PC burner will write a movie to the disc but after finalizing - the same PC burner won't recognize the disc NO DISC LOADED message - BUT the disc (written with the PC burner) will playback fine on any stand alone DVD player and will erase fine with my 780.
Oh and as seen in the included image, the disc is recognized only as a 1x -RW disc.

Any Thoughts?
LL
LL
LL
post #3215 of 3215 Old 09-21-2010, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPKeller2 View Post

Guess I was hoping for some way to resurrect this one bad disk. I think I got them on sale for a pretty good price, so not too much invested.

Theron

I seem to recall being able to resurrect one bad disc I had. If it won't play, try copying it to the HDD, either in real-time, or at HS.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page