Panasonic DMR-EH55 User Review and Questions - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 881 Old 08-23-2006, 12:19 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can you use the IR Blaster that came with your Panny Plasma to change the channels on your DMR EH55S recorder???? , like when your using TVGOS ON YOUR PANASONIC PLASMAand you hit the record button will it program your DMR EH55S to record the program or not???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 881 Old 08-23-2006, 01:54 PM

So you think that I can put a DVD-R in with Divx movies and record them to the Hard Drive? Has anyone tried this??

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkart View Post

Possibly you could record DivX material from a DVD to the HDD in real time. Then you would have the DivX material as MPEG, which you could then burn to a new DVD as such. I'm fairly certain that you could not do a high-speed (digital) transfer of DivX files from DVD to HDD. Most DVD Recorders do not let you do such transfers unless the files involved were initially created by the recorder itself.

post #273 of 881 Old 08-23-2006, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Assuming the DivX files in question are supported by the model in question, it may be possible. Then again the recorder may explicitly not allow such copying.

If you want to make (DVD-Compliant) DVDs of DivX material, you could use your PC for that by the way. But that is a subject for another Forum (http://forum.videohelp.com).
post #274 of 881 Old 08-25-2006, 03:11 PM

Hi,
anybody else having this problem? When I watch something I recorded on HDD, then turn off in the middle and want to watch later it doesn't remember the position I stoped watching? Is there somethimg in the setup menu I have to turn on or why does this happen? I had the Toshiba XS32 before and that worked perfectly, he remebered every position of every single recording on the HDD.

My other problem with the freezing came back last time, I had to reset it :-(...

Piledriver
post #275 of 881 Old 08-26-2006, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgarth View Post

So you think that I can put a DVD-R in with Divx movies and record them to the Hard Drive? Has anyone tried this??

This cannot be done. Verified with the EH75v (same Divx playback capability as the EH55 but with 80GB HDD and VHS deck).

The Future ain't what it used to be...
post #276 of 881 Old 08-28-2006, 09:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Here's a CNET review of the EH55 where one user found it to be good and two found it to be not so good...one of those claiming there is a diff. between a unit with an "S" at the end of the model # and no "S". Supposedly, w/o an "S" it has no firewire or USB input?
post #277 of 881 Old 08-28-2006, 02:45 PM
Advanced Member

That cnet reviewer that said the lack of "s" means no firewire or USB is in fact WRONG. S is just to indicate that it is silver in colour, while Panasonic devices with K are black in colour. There IS firewire(camcorder DV only though), but no USB on this model.
post #278 of 881 Old 08-28-2006, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabjxo View Post

Here's a CNET review of the EH55 where one user found it to be good and two found it to be not so good...one of those claiming there is a diff. between a unit with an "S" at the end of the model # and no "S". Supposedly, w/o an "S" it has no firewire or USB input?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZen View Post

That cnet reviewer that said the lack of "s" means no firewire or USB is in fact WRONG. S is just to indicate that it is silver in colour, while Panasonic devices with K are black in colour. There is no firewire or USB on this model.

It is incredible as to where these wives tales must come from.

"S" does mean Silver and "K" means black. However the EH55 has a Firewire input as does the Sony 715. Neither has a USB port. Both are great HDD DVD recorders with the Panasonic having better quality recordings beyond 2 hours 30 minutes but the Sony provides the 16:9 Flag for recordings as long as 2 hours 30 minutes while the Panasonic does not. I have both and use them for different purposes. Some like the editing capability of the Panasonic better than the Sony but I find the Panasonic harder to edit with than the Sony. I wish I had a frame-by-frame editing capability as I do on my PC but I can't seem to make either one do that accurately.
post #279 of 881 Old 08-29-2006, 12:49 AM
Advanced Member

Ack, what was I thinking. Yes of course eh55s does have a DV input which is firewire. When I read firewire for some reason I was thinking a fully functional firewire in/output separate from the DV input. The DV input is firewire, but it is limited to only taking DV video from a camcorder. Maybe the guy didn't see the DV input? I'll correct my previous post.
post #280 of 881 Old 09-12-2006, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardT View Post

Thanks, Bruce. Really appreciate your testing that for me.

Was hoping the answer would have been different. Does it make a difference if, after erasing certain segments, you combine the chapters? Would that get rid of the pauses?

Thanks again,

Richard

Richard...this is what I do when editing so that the pause (very very brief) is not noticable.....almost all scene endings have a black frame inbetween it and the start of a commercial...I get to this point and hit pause, then use slow motion to hit the black frame on the nose and edit on these frames....the pause is not perceivable without any background.

Dave
post #281 of 881 Old 09-13-2006, 12:45 AM

Help!...am I able to record HD with a cox cable box to the HDD? If so how? Thanks
post #282 of 881 Old 09-13-2006, 01:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konan View Post

Help!...am I able to record HD with a cox cable box to the HDD? If so how? Thanks

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=599173
post #283 of 881 Old 09-13-2006, 02:11 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Thanks, Dave (as in Davidsin62), for replying. In my case, where I'm editting a weekly church service, we don't often have convenient black dividers. Most of the time I have to trim a scene, the awkward delays between a song or musical presentation and a speaker comming to the platform, for example. By copying to dvd in real time, I eliminate the pauses; I also eliminate the playlist chapter points and the playlist thumbnail, an inconvenience. I have yet to try combining chapters before copying, to see if that would eliminate the pauses.

From another post, as for taking DV in only from a camcorder, that is not completely accurate. We are taking dv input from a DataVideo SE-800 video mixer, with no problem. While most of the input to the mixer is from cameras- composite, s-vhs, or dv, we also have input to the mixer from the non-dv titler, a non-camera source.

Richard
post #284 of 881 Old 09-13-2006, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah it's not that these recorders with DV input will only accept DV from a camcorder, but that they will only accept DV period. Some ask about recording from their STB which outputs MPEG TS on the FireWire.
post #285 of 881 Old 09-16-2006, 02:02 PM

Nobody else then me having that problem??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piledriver123 View Post

Hi,
anybody else having this problem? When I watch something I recorded on HDD, then turn off in the middle and want to watch later it doesn't remember the position I stoped watching? Is there somethimg in the setup menu I have to turn on or why does this happen? I had the Toshiba XS32 before and that worked perfectly, he remebered every position of every single recording on the HDD.
Piledriver

post #286 of 881 Old 09-16-2006, 08:55 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
STOP the play, then PLAY, it will resume from the stop point. Some players, don't know if apllies to EH55, press STOP twice to reset to beginning. POWER OFF, then power on and it starts at the begnning.
post #287 of 881 Old 09-17-2006, 02:01 AM

Piledriver---
RichardT is correct, and it does apply to the EH55, except the memorized place on the HDD will survive a power-off, unless you hit STOP more than once in a row before powering down. I haven't tried it with a disc in the tray, but I think that works the same as the HDD, unless you eject the disc.

From p. 36 of the manual:
STOP:
"Press [[Black Square[stop symbol]].
The stopped position is memorized.

Resume play function
Press [RightFacing Black Triangle [play symbol]] (PLAY) to restart from this position.

Stopped position
If [Black Square[stop symbol]] is pressed several times the position is cleared.
The position is cleared if the tray is opened (excluding [HDD]).

[DVD-A] [CD] [VCD] and MP3/DivX: The position is cleared if the unit is turned off."

Hope this helps,
Steve
post #288 of 881 Old 09-17-2006, 11:05 AM
avo

Hi!
Since this is a pretty long thread, I have to admit that I didn't read all the posts you guys entered, especially because most of the first pages refer to digital cable boxes and stuff, which are not available in Romania yet and don’t really affect me.

I got the DMR EH55 K a couple of days ago and I found the Romanian user's manual to be really annoying, as it is badly translated (no English manual came with the unit, unfortunately; I'll have to look for it in the Internet).
So, do not mind a question: I copied an old VHS tape on the HDD (great quality, by the way, couldn't tell the copy from the original) and I took the time to put some chapter marks in manually. Then, I copied the footage on a DVD-R. I was (very unpleasantly) surprised to notice that, on the DVD I created, my custom chapters were all gone, being replaced by 5 minute ones set automatically by the recorder. I used the "non-hi-speed" copy mode (45 minutes of material, 45 minutes of copying time). Quality mode was set to XP in both cases (initial HDD recording and then copying).
So, can I somehow keep my own chapters when copying stuff from HDD to DVD in 1X speed, or I'll just have to stick to the HS mode? (I wouldn’t like to use the high speed mode, because it’s less reliable for creating error-free, long lasting DVDs out of my old VHS video archive).
Thanks a lot!
post #289 of 881 Old 09-17-2006, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Only by using High-Speed mode copy from HDD to DVD will you retain your manually-placed Chapter marks.

I'm not sure why you say High-Spees mode is less reliable. It is certainly preferable in the sense that it makes exact copies as opposed to Real-Time copying which must re-encode the audio/video, introducing degradation.
post #290 of 881 Old 09-19-2006, 11:03 AM
avo

Thanks for your answer, bobkart.
I prefer using a real time DVD recording because of the old myth related to the computer CD and DVD writers: low burning speed = less risk to get a faulty disk. Maybe this rule doesn't apply to modern stand-alone DVD recorders, I don't know. I just want my disks to resist in time for as long as possible, as those old VHS recordings are really precious to me. I'm not necessarily interested in speeding up the copying process; real time is fine.
On the other hand, you are perfectly right about the re-encoding issue. It causes quality loss. Since I’m not happy with losing my custom chapters in real time mode, I guess I’ll have to go for the hi-speed copying method.
By the way: if I use the "normal" (less noisy, they say) hi-speed copying mode, the burning will be made at 4X, 8X, or higher (DVD-R)? If it was 4X (or not much more), I would be pretty happy.
post #291 of 881 Old 09-19-2006, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, I have recently changed to using 4x when I burn a DVD from PC, as opposed ot 8x or 16x, for the reasons you mention. But that is still "high-speed" compared to a 1x "real-time" conversion. I think the difference is minor. And I'm not sure what speed burner you have in your recorder but I don't think it's much more than 8x. Real-time copies have their own problems relating to starting and stopping the burn over and over due to the low rate that the data is coming in. I think you will be fine with high-speed copies, what you may lose in quality of burn will be more than made up for in Picture Quality. And you could always re-burn them on a PC at whatever speed you determine to yield the best burn quality.
post #292 of 881 Old 09-19-2006, 02:39 PM

Hi folks,

I've read most of the posts I can find and figure that I have hookup and TVGOS problems but they are a bit different from most people's experience. The two unique challenges I have are:

1. My cable box is really old technology. A Scientific Atlanta with only an RF in and RF out. I have no good ideas about how to optimally hook my system up since all diagrams in the operator manual assume the cable box has component or svideo outputs.

2. I'm living outside of North America with a eh55 I bought in the US. So obviously I don't need and can't use TVGOS.

Currently, I have my wall cable in to the RF in on the cable box, RF out from the cable box to the RF in on the eh55, component video to TV and RCA audio to the TV. I have set up in the TVGOS as from Canada A0A0A0 code, using cable box.

THis allows me to timer record if I keep the cable box on, and allows me to watch slightly washed out TV thru Input 3 on my TV and change change channels using IR. But if I just watch TV with the recorder sleeping I get the TVGOS vain seach for PBS EPG codes that will never come. This is a bit of a pain.

Would anybody more techno savvy than me have any advice on either ways to improve my setup or ways to trick TVGOS to go away? Thanks.
post #293 of 881 Old 09-22-2006, 10:09 AM
Advanced Member

Is it true that this machine can NOT high speed/bit-bit copy an unprotected DVD-R to the Hard drive (for making a couple exact copies, etc) ? Only can do it from DVD-Ram to HD? Really?
post #294 of 881 Old 09-22-2006, 10:31 AM

I would like to ask EH 55 owners to clarify one thing for me.

Is it possible to watch DVD movie from DVD disc and make recording from tuner to HDD at the same time ?

The reason why I am asking about this basic function is the following:
I have read somewhere that this unit had got problem with scheduled TV recordings to HDD, if you insert a DVD into drive and watch it during the time of scheduled program recording.

Some people reported that in many cases the scheduled recording was interrupted in such case.

That sounds really weird to me.

Is there anybody who can confirm or deny this behavior ?
I am going to order DVD HDD recorder soon and this is the only thing that holds me from selecting the EH55.

Thank you very much

Tomas D
post #295 of 881 Old 09-22-2006, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprest View Post

It is incredible as to where these wives tales must come from.

Clearly from old wives ... sorry, the devil made me do it.

Bob R .
post #296 of 881 Old 09-22-2006, 08:28 PM

I only need to edit dvd's occasionally, as my need for a DVD recorder is to mostly offload shows from my DirectTivo.

If I need to edit, what features would I be missing if I bought a ES25 (no HDD) instead, burned the material to DVD-RAM, take the disc to my PC and edit it using something like Adobe Elements Premiere?? (and then reburn the edited version using my PC).

It sounds like more of a hassle than just buying a EH55, but the price difference is substantial, especially if editing is needed only occassionally.

Any comments would be appreciated.
Thanks
post #297 of 881 Old 09-22-2006, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member

You will want to make sure your PC DVD drive can read DVD-RAMs, and that you have or can get software that can read the DVD file structure therein.

DVD-RW instead of DVD-RAM may be a more straight path. Most PC DVD drives can read them no problem. The same is not true of DVD-RAM.
post #298 of 881 Old 09-23-2006, 09:45 AM

This is my first post. Thanks for all the information in the previous 10 pages. I have a Comcast Motorola(digital). My husband has changed connections several times & we finally have the TVGOS downloaded. The cable line is split to the recorder and the cablebox. Component & RCA audio cables are connected from cable box to display. S video & RCA audio connected from cable box to recorder. The RF cable connects the recorder to the display. We have also tried to connect the wall cable to the recorder and pass through to the cablebox. Using the TVGOS to record, I can record the program, but if I watch another program, it will record that channel with the title of the previously selected recording.

Please let me know what needs to be corrected to be able to record & watch another channel. Thanks.

MJ
post #299 of 881 Old 09-24-2006, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas_D View Post

I would like to ask EH 55 owners to clarify one thing for me.

Is it possible to watch DVD movie from DVD disc and make recording from tuner to HDD at the same time ?

I am sorry for repeating my question, but I have chance to buy EH55 under some promotion that is valid through Monday.
But I do not want to order before I am sure that I can watch the DVD and record another programme (TV channel) to HDD at the same time.

Is there any EH55 owner here who knows the answer ?

My other favorites are the LG RH-188 and Sony HX-520 ( they can do that), but they do not support flexible bitrate when dubbing from HDD to DVD.

Thank you very much

Tomas D
post #300 of 881 Old 09-24-2006, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes, you can record to the HDD while watching a DVD on the EH-55.

Look on page 27 of the manual, available here.

RG
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page