Panasonic DMR-EH55 User Review and Questions - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 881 Old 10-23-2006, 11:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If you don't live in NYS you can also get it from J&R (no sales tax). They'll price match over the phone. No restocking fee for mail orders.

I got a Pioneer DVD recorder and they also shipped with an exterior box (as opposed to sticking a UPS label onto the OEM box)

Also, if you are a Continental airlines frequent flyer, check if they still offer it for about $400 shipped (plus redemption of 100 miles). Look under Home > OnePass > Use Miles > Non-travel Rewards > Miles for Merchandise (sorry forgot my PIN so I'm unable to check). Word of warning, going this route may mean no returns.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 881 Old 10-23-2006, 12:13 PM

well bob, this thread is partitially titled "user review" I was just noting there were ALOT of question/answers WITH NO REVIEWS. So does everyone like the 55?
post #363 of 881 Old 10-23-2006, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmotravis View Post

well bob, this thread is partitially titled "user review" I was just noting there were ALOT of question/answers WITH NO REVIEWS. So does everyone like the 55?

You'll find some negative reviews, I was going to point to one where the guy said "this baby goes back" but the search function died so I couldn't find it. I'd guess 85-90% of those who bought this machine like it. Maybe we should build a poll
Bob R.

Bob R .
post #364 of 881 Old 10-23-2006, 02:26 PM

i agree Bob, start a poll. Hey, it's time for a techie question. Just talked to the manger of the local cable company and he says they have a tv guide that downloads into the motorola terminals. Will that work with the panasonic? or do I need more information from him.
post #365 of 881 Old 10-23-2006, 04:22 PM

Quote:

i agree Bob, start a poll. Hey, it's time for a techie question. Just talked to the manger of the local cable company and he says they have a tv guide that downloads into the motorola terminals. Will that work with the panasonic? or do I need more information from him.

I'm not sure about "motorola terminals" but I have MEDIACOM and I press the TV GUIDE button and voila there it is, set recordings, etc. WORKS FOR ME (as HUNTER used to say ... tv program with Fred Dryer ... a favorite of mine.)
There's a lot more about TVGOS on this forum .. do a search on TVGOS
Bob R.

Bob R .
post #366 of 881 Old 10-24-2006, 12:48 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
My "Review" after a couple of months, on a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being perfect, Id say 8.5.

It is a flexible and powerful machine with a few idiosyncracies.

Pros:
Writes to all the popular formats, dvd-r, dvd-rw, dvd+r, dvd+rw,dvd-ram, and dl
DV input
Hdd
Copies dvd to hdd
Seamless playback (eliminates the freezes at edit points)
One step COPY (and finalize), Advanced Copy offers choice, COPY ONLY or COPY AND FINALIZE
High speed COPY retains the selected Thumbnail and Chapter Markers
When entering a name for a Title or Playlist, a box shows how it will appear on the Menu

Cons:
Many of the options are buried 3 or more layers deep in the Menus
Real time Copy loses the preset thumbnail and chapter points
The "TV Guide" key is just above the up arrow, and if hit while entering a name, loses the name

Features I Miss:
Defining scenes on the Playlist using START and END times rather than Chapters (E100H)
"Refresh" option for the new recording to replace the previous. (E100H)
Let Timer Recording give the recording a name (E100H)

I'll probably be adding more as I think of them. I don't need or use TVGOS, I'm not now even using timer recording.

Richard
post #367 of 881 Old 10-24-2006, 06:18 PM

I presently have a panasonic DMR-E85H that I love, but wish the guide worked with Directv. I see that the new EH55's guide works with Directv. Now my question. The American version is a DMR-EH55S that is guaranteed to work, but the Canadian version is listed at DMR-EH55. Is this going to work with my Directv for the guide or are both machines exactally the same? Thanks
post #368 of 881 Old 10-24-2006, 08:41 PM

[quote=rgazzara]For a list of TVGOS-supported DirecTV receivers click[
QUOTE]

anyone try a sony b55 or the new directv H20 with this unit.
post #369 of 881 Old 10-25-2006, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysdak View Post

I presently have a panasonic DMR-E85H that I love, but wish the guide worked with Directv. I see that the new EH55's guide works with Directv. Now my question. The American version is a DMR-EH55S that is guaranteed to work, but the Canadian version is listed at DMR-EH55. Is this going to work with my Directv for the guide or are both machines exactally the same? Thanks

The "S" stands for Silver versus "K" which stands for "black" so they are the same unit. My DMR-EH55S would not work with my DirecTV HD Tivo HR10-250 STB. I do not know whether it works with other DirecTV STBs.
post #370 of 881 Old 10-25-2006, 01:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackbottom View Post

steve1214 , I got the TVGOS WORKING!!!

I just received my DMR-EH55S yesterday and as usual with Panasonic, the manual is a mess.
smackbottom, Your trials and tribulations with the TVGOS may have saved me a bunch of time . I have a D* H20 box and will try something very similar, trying to get the guide data OTA by splitting my ant. lead. Hopefully one of the local stations will supply the guide data. If not, I'm going to abandon the whole damn TVGOS thing, if I can.

I have tried to get rid of the guide by resetting the DVR (ch+,CH-, return, as per the manual), but it keeps coming back to the TVGOS setup screen every time I hit "schedule" . Seeing those huge TV Guide logos is irritating to say the least. My old DMR-80H was a snap to set manually and I got used to it. This one is not that easy but I'll get used to it too.

Snuffy
post #371 of 881 Old 10-25-2006, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 74
^^ You must still go through the TV Guide setup after dumping the guide info after pressing ch up/down, in order to set the unit to allow you to manually set the clock and manual program channels. If you don't, the guide will take over again, when the unit is turned off...

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #372 of 881 Old 10-25-2006, 09:48 PM

I currently have the Philips from walmart. it's frozen up twice before installing the update software a week ago. If it freezes again then it goes back to the store and J&R will be my next stop. Has anyone's Panasonic 55 froze up yet? and does it require unplugging the unit or there a keypad trick which doesn't involve finding the power cord?
post #373 of 881 Old 10-26-2006, 08:32 AM

Quote:

I currently have the Philips from walmart. it's frozen up twice before installing the update software a week ago. If it freezes again then it goes back to the store and J&R will be my next stop. Has anyone's Panasonic 55 froze up yet? and does it require unplugging the unit or there a keypad trick which doesn't involve finding the power cord?

I had this problem which may or may not be similar to yours:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=730191

After that time I've never had another problem (other than some "operator" problems).
Bob R.

Bob R .
post #374 of 881 Old 10-26-2006, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffy101 View Post

I just received my DMR-EH55S yesterday and as usual with Panasonic, the manual is a mess.
smackbottom, Your trials and tribulations with the TVGOS may have saved me a bunch of time . I have a D* H20 box and will try something very similar, trying to get the guide data OTA by splitting my ant. lead. Hopefully one of the local stations will supply the guide data. If not, I'm going to abandon the whole damn TVGOS thing, if I can.

I have tried to get rid of the guide by resetting the DVR (ch+,CH-, return, as per the manual), but it keeps coming back to the TVGOS setup screen every time I hit "schedule" . Seeing those huge TV Guide logos is irritating to say the least. My old DMR-80H was a snap to set manually and I got used to it. This one is not that easy but I'll get used to it too.

That'd be great. I'd like to know before I drop another $500.
post #375 of 881 Old 10-27-2006, 02:44 PM

How are chapter marks preserved on the Panny? In other brands the chapters drift a bit after HS copying. On the Pioneer 640H you can get the edit marks exact to the frame except you can only copy in real time which is a pain. On the Toshiba, I worked it out to about 12 steps drift soI more or less can estimate the chapter marks. The Pioneer also does not have any other chapter creation or editting capabilties other than to just create one. It cannot give you chapter thumbnails or place them on the menu. I assume the Panny can?
post #376 of 881 Old 10-28-2006, 01:54 AM

When I discovered that this recorder has a DVD-RAM drive and a firewire port, I thought it might be cool to use it to back-up data off of my desktop PC. However, the manual says that the firewire connection doesn't work with computers. Has anyone tied this to see what happens if you try to connect it to a PC via firewire?

If it doesn't work, well.all I can say is.that is really really stupid.

There are three kinds of people: those that can count and those that can't. Make sure you are the right kind.
post #377 of 881 Old 10-28-2006, 04:22 AM

Happily, the EH55 allows me to not use TVGOS. After a couple of days of searching in vain for EPG data, a screen popped up asking if I wanted to stop trying - which I did. Great feature for those of us out of the country who need to use manual recordings.

However, one challenge remains for me. I can't seem to manually adjust the time. WHen I go to the right menu screen, the time change is greyed out. I think that the machine in its initial EPG scan must have picked up a time signal or something. Soon North America will adjust clocks for daylight savings. Where I'm living doesn't do aylight savings. I fear that when the time change happens, my unit will be an hour out of synch. Anyone know if there a way to manually change time in this situation?
post #378 of 881 Old 10-28-2006, 01:53 PM

bunu:

I'll look through the users manual and see what it says about DST. The panny vcr I have used always had a setting for DST yes or no so the user can switch it on or off.

There are three kinds of people: those that can count and those that can't. Make sure you are the right kind.
post #379 of 881 Old 10-28-2006, 01:58 PM

bunu:

On your "Set Clock Manually" screen, one of the options is DST with a box under it for On or Off. Switching it to Off should keep you clock from adjusting automagiccally for daylight savings time ("DST").

Hope this helps you....

post #380 of 881 Old 10-28-2006, 02:03 PM

Does anyone know if data, such as MS Office files, on an SD card can be copied to a DVD-RAM disc on this machine?

post #381 of 881 Old 10-28-2006, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Only multimedia files can be transferred to DVD-RAM from SD cards using these recorders.

The Future ain't what it used to be...
post #382 of 881 Old 10-29-2006, 10:08 AM

I purchased the unit in early September, and for about three weeks TVGOS worked perfectly. Then, the TVGOS data disappeared. Not to worry, I've read that others experienced a similar problem, and patiently waited for new data to appear. Data showed up, kind of hit and miss, then "no listing" across the board. I've tried resetting defaults and then rerunning setup, no luck. It just can't find the channel with the listing data. I've called Panasonic help, and been referred to a local shop, but am wondering if there is anything I'm missing: for example, I haven't been able to find a way to reset the channel listing (you can restore system defaults, but it saves the channel listing).

I'd really appreciate any help: I'm using Directv with local channels coming from the Seattle area.

Jim
post #383 of 881 Old 10-29-2006, 10:06 PM

jim
what receiver do you have?
post #384 of 881 Old 10-30-2006, 09:04 AM

It's a Directv model D10-300, which is a known "good" receiver from the vgi web site.
post #385 of 881 Old 10-30-2006, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiney6188W View Post

bunu:

On your "Set Clock Manually" screen, one of the options is DST with a box under it for On or Off. Switching it to Off should keep you clock from adjusting automagiccally for daylight savings time ("DST").

Hope this helps you....

Thanks Shiney6188W for the tips. Am I right that this is a TVGOS menu and not part of the DIGA menu?

I don't use TVGOS so I've flipped to page 64 of the manual and it tells me to go thru functions, other functions, setup, setup, clock settings. This is where I get lost. The clock settings function is greyed out and can't be selected. Thus I can't even pick clock settings to get to any sub-menu with a "set clock manually" or even Adjust Time Zone". Thing is that I used to have that option.

To get to the screen you mention, do I have to reset the machine to factory default settings and go thru the initial setup process? I think that the unit did find a PBS channel in the initial setup and this weekend it automatically updated the time, despite the fact that the TVGOS listings function is disabled.

Does that even make sense?
post #386 of 881 Old 10-30-2006, 04:00 PM

Yes, you are making sense.

I am not a user of this product; Just a guy that has been reading through the user's manual so I am looking at the same information you have.

Maybe someone who has some experience using this product can help you out.

A reset to factory settings does sound like a good idea though given your circumstances.

post #387 of 881 Old 10-30-2006, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vferrari View Post

Only multimedia files can be transferred to DVD-RAM from SD cards using these recorders.

Thanks for the information.

I happen to think this "limitation" is very stupid. I would have purchased this product by now but for the fact that I can't move data from a desktop PC's hard drive to the unit's DVD-RAM drive. This thing could have been three cool products in one, but no......Panasonic couldn't do that.

post #388 of 881 Old 10-30-2006, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

It's not just Panasonic, no standalone DVD Recorder can do that. They're designed to be DVD Recorders, not do various things unrelated to recording DVDs. With a DVD-RAM drive connected to your PC, you can move those files easily. I'm not sure why you also need a DVD Recorder to be able to do this.
post #389 of 881 Old 10-30-2006, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkart View Post

It's not just Panasonic, no standalone DVD Recorder can do that. They're designed to be DVD Recorders, not do various things unrelated to recording DVDs. With a DVD-RAM drive connected to your PC, you can move those files easily. I'm not sure why you also need a DVD Recorder to be able to do this.

So I don't have to have another separate DVD-RAM drive.

post #390 of 881 Old 10-30-2006, 08:08 PM
Advanced Member

I've had my Panasonic DMR-EH55S Video Recorder for a week now and here is my take:

Pros:

Much faster turn-on, copying and menu access than previous models.
Excellent Picture Quality of recorded material.
Can copy from DVD to HDD (non copy protected)
HDD goes to Sleep after 30 minutes of non-use.
Can record to and copy from HDD to a wide array of DVD media, incl. DVD R/W and DL.
Has a D/V (Fire Wire) input for Digital Camcorders.
Allows automatic Finalization of DVDs.
Places chapter marks every 5-8 minutes on DVD copied from HDD except in High Speed mode.
Editing is easy and precise.
Fan and HDD are quiet.

Cons:

Users Manual is not well organized and has incomplete index.
TV Guide is difficult if not impossible to setup (ugly logos).
No Eject button on remote.
Eject button on unit is not logically placed, drive on left, button on far right.
Can not record directly to DL disks, must record to HDD then copy to DVD.

Snuffy
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page