Panasonic DMR-EH55 User Review and Questions - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 881 Old 11-17-2006, 05:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Monday I should be receiving an HDMI cable that I ordered to hook up this unit to my new Sony HDTV. In the next room, about 20 feet away, I have my Sony CRT and was wondering if I could hook up this unit to it using about 25 feet on component cable. Would there be a problem with having a set of component cables hooked up to the CRT and the HDMI hooked up to the HDTV at the same time? Are they going to cancel themseleves making it so that I can only use one of these at a time?

Worse case scenario, I suppose, is that I could unhook one set of cables when I want to watch on one of the TV's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 881 Old 11-17-2006, 09:16 AM

My TiVo recently died and I am thinking about purchasing the Panny EH75V. Let me give you my current setup:

Panasonic 42 plasma (commercial)
Digital cable with DVR (input 1 to tv)
DVD player (input 2 to tv)

I am wanting to use the Panny as the input 3 to my television. I am thinking about this unit for several reasons, including the following:

1) It will serve as a second DVR for "regular" content (i.e. childrens shows for my son, shows on the lower cable channels) [the digital cable DVR quickly fills up with weekly recording of shows in HD before I can watch them on the weekend]

2) It will allow me to burn content onto DVDs for saving for later

3) It will allow me to convert some old VCR tapes to DVD for preservation

2 Questions:

1) I split the cable line in my old set-up (one to digitcal cable box, one to Tivo) and used two different inputs on the TV to switch to multiple content. It appears (from reading this discussion) that I can split the line and use the RF input for the cable content (I understand that I will only get channels 2-100). Do I need to use the IN3 connection to get TV Guide info from the cable box, or can I just set it up with the cable line in and then get the TV Guide info from one of the stations? My cable system does have the TV Guide channel - does that matter/help?

2) Using the S-vide connection (the digital cable box already uses the RBG input for the HD content) out of the Panny, will I still be able to view both VCR tapes and DVDs from the Panny on this output? I was confused since it lists "DVD Priority" on the back and the other output (component) was "VCR/DVD"? I want to make sure that I can watch VCR tapes with the S-video output on this unit.

Any advice or assistance is appreciated - this forum helped to convince me to purchase the Panny commercial plasma (which has been outstanding).

Tim Jebsen
Midland, TX USA
post #453 of 881 Old 11-18-2006, 04:25 PM

I just received my EH55 and I have a question. Can I watch regular cable TV while I am recording something else? If so, how do I do it? Thanks.
post #454 of 881 Old 11-18-2006, 04:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by aprest View Post

You do not say what HD receiver that you are recording from or how that receiver is set to output the video to the EH55. Nor did you say what the setting is on the HD TV that you were watching the DVD on. I use my EH55 all the time to record HD material recorded on my DirecTV HR10-250 HD Tivo STB. Regardless of whether I record from the HR10-250 to the EH55 hard drive and then burn to a DVD-R or burn straight to a DVD-R from the HR10-250 I get perfect 16:9 anamorphic DVD recordings that play perfectly with no squeeze on my HD Panasonic plasma and LCD TVs set to Full mode. However if I want to play those DVDs on a SD 4:3 TV I need to do as you describe and use IFOEDIT to set the 16:9 flags. I have found that the anamorphic squeeze that you are getting is more likely to be that your HD receiver is not set to ouput a video signal that the EH55 can record as an anamorphic video or the HD reciver is not capable of doing that. The DirecTV HR10-250 must be set to letterbox and 16:9 or you get the results that you describe and the squeeze happens on Panasonic, Pioneer and Sony recorders. Also the 16:9 HD TV should be able to playback properly recorded anamorphic videos at the Full setting. I assume that you are using S-video to your recorder. What is you HD source and what HD TV do you have and what are the settings on both? You might find the attached document that I generated of use. Since I wrote this I have found that the Panasonic EH55 works as described in item 3 and 4 of the attachement.

I was curious how your Panasonic EH55 recordings compare to that of the Sony GX-300 in terms of Picture Quality. That Panasonic model is supposed to have 12-bit signal processing like the GX-300.

nx211
post #455 of 881 Old 11-18-2006, 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Irish27
Can I watch regular cable TV while I am recording something else?

I do it all the time. The EH55 has only one tuner, so if it is recording something, you can not tune it to a different channel. However, if your TV has a tuner (ie, it is not just a monitor), you can switch to the TV tuner and watch any other channel on the cable.

My setup is straight cable with no digital STB. I split the cable from the wall with one lead going to the EH55 RF in (from which it downloads the TVGuide, as well as the cable programs) and the other lead going to the TV cable in. While recording, you can use the video button on either the TV or the EH55 remotes to switch the TV between TV and the EH55. The EH55 remote has separate buttons to change channels on the TV and the EH55.

You can also watch anything previously recorded on the hard drive while recording something new, or the beginning of the program you are currently recording ("chasing playback"). (I'm not sure if this works on the DVD drive, unless you are recording there on a DVD-RAM.) However, while recording a cable show, you cannot simultaneously watch anything coming into Input 1, 2, or 3 (e.g., VCR, DVD player, camcorder etc.).

HTH, Steve
post #456 of 881 Old 11-19-2006, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nx211 View Post

I was curious how your Panasonic EH55 recordings compare to that of the Sony GX-300 in terms of Picture Quality. That Panasonic model is supposed to have 12-bit signal processing like the GX-300.

nx211

They are both great. The Panasonic is much better in the 4 hour LP mode (which is whay I bought it) but the Sony GX-300 and Sony GX-7 are great to 2.0 hours and insert the 16:9 flags in recordings of 2.0 hours or less so I don't have to use IfoEdit to reset the flags so that the recorded DVDs can be played undistorted on a 4:3 TV. I have since added a Sony RDR-HX715 which does the same thing as the GX-300 and GX-7 but extends the capability described above to 2.5 hours and adds a hard drive.

The Sony RDR-GX7 is built like a tank and a has a DV (Fire Wire) input. I plan on selling the GX7 on ebay. PM me if you are interested in it.
post #457 of 881 Old 11-19-2006, 11:51 AM

One other question, how do you delete the commercials? If you manually record a show or sporting event, can you still delete the commercials or only if you use the VCR Plus or TV schedule? Thanks.
post #458 of 881 Old 11-19-2006, 01:46 PM

Quote:

They are both great. The Panasonic is much better in the 4 hour LP mode (which is whay I bought it) but the Sony GX-300 and Sony GX-7 are great to 2.0 hours and insert the 16:9 flags in recordings of 2.0 hours or less so I don't have to use IfoEdit to reset the flags so that the recorded DVDs can be played undistorted on a 4:3 TV. I have since added a Sony RDR-HX715 which does the same thing as the GX-300 and GX-7 but extends the capability described above to 2.5 hours and adds a hard drive.

Thanks for the response.

One of the limitations, or lack of a feature that the Sony HDD based DVD recorders have compared with the Panasonics and Pioneers is the lack of setting a bitrate to a specific time interval. That is a really nice feature to have and I can see why it's a must have feature that some people don't want to live without. Naturally, those recorders would yield better PQ when you want to record at a time interval just beyond those pre-set values of the Sony models. At least Sony saw some need to rectify this and allowed for a higher resolution to be maintained to the 2.5 hr. interval with the advent of the HX715.

I'm surprised that the Panasonic EH55 doesn't set the 16:9 flag correctly. That's a new model and one would think that Panasonic would, by now, have seen the need to have included that in their newest recorders.

But knowing all this leads me to my next question. If your were going to record a program and you wanted to use only the 1.0 hr or 2.0 hr. bitrate per disc, (HQ or SP speeds), and that the 16:9 flag setting wasn't an issue, which recorder would you use? The Sony or the Panasonic? Are they so close in terms of PQ that it's a wash? Or does the Sony still hold a PQ advantage over the EH55? If I remember correctly, I thought someone posted that the Sony PQ is still better than the Panasonic models that have a 12-bit DAC. But I think this comment was made in regards to a model prior to the EH55.

Quote:

The Sony RDR-GX7 is built like a tank and a has a DV (Fire Wire) input. I plan on selling the GX7 on ebay. PM me if you are interested in it.

Thanks for the offer but I'm pretty happy with my GX-300s for now, at least until HD recorders start coming out.

nx211
post #459 of 881 Old 11-19-2006, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anomie612 View Post

Monday I should be receiving an HDMI cable that I ordered to hook up this unit to my new Sony HDTV. In the next room, about 20 feet away, I have my Sony CRT and was wondering if I could hook up this unit to it using about 25 feet on component cable. Would there be a problem with having a set of component cables hooked up to the CRT and the HDMI hooked up to the HDTV at the same time? Are they going to cancel themseleves making it so that I can only use one of these at a time?

Worse case scenario, I suppose, is that I could unhook one set of cables when I want to watch on one of the TV's.

Anyone? Please? I want to make sure before I place an order for cables that this'll work.
post #460 of 881 Old 11-19-2006, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

All you need to know is that the Component Video output stays live even when using the HDMI output. You can test this in a variety of ways without actually ordering & receiving the 25-foot set of Component Video cables. Take a normal Composite Video cable (yellow RCA) and run it to a spare monitor's Composite Video input. You will just be missing the color information but it will determine if there is output. Connect the HDMI, and if you are seeing both the HDMI and the same picture as you saw before you connected the HDMI, you have an affirmitive answer. If the picture on the non-HDMI (spare) monitor goes away when you connect the HDMI then you have a negative answer (i.e., don't order the 25-foot set of Component Video cables). No spare monitor with which to perform this test? No problem, throw an AC Voltmeter on the yellow RCA cable, observe the AC voltage in the working configuration (no HDMI connected), it should be around 1Vpp, connect the HDMI, watch for any change, no change and you're okay, but if the voltage goes to zero (or nearabouts) then there's your negative answer again.
post #461 of 881 Old 11-19-2006, 11:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sberlin View Post

I do it all the time. The EH55 has only one tuner, so if it is recording something, you can not tune it to a different channel. However, if your TV has a tuner (ie, it is not just a monitor), you can switch to the TV tuner and watch any other channel on the cable.

My setup is straight cable with no digital STB. I split the cable from the wall with one lead going to the EH55 RF in (from which it downloads the TVGuide, as well as the cable programs) and the other lead going to the TV cable in. While recording, you can use the video button on either the TV or the EH55 remotes to switch the TV between TV and the EH55. The EH55 remote has separate buttons to change channels on the TV and the EH55.

You can also watch anything previously recorded on the hard drive while recording something new, or the beginning of the program you are currently recording ("chasing playback"). (I'm not sure if this works on the DVD drive, unless you are recording there on a DVD-RAM.) However, while recording a cable show, you cannot simultaneously watch anything coming into Input 1, 2, or 3 (e.g., VCR, DVD player, camcorder etc.).

HTH, Steve

Maybe I'm missing something in what your saying. You don't have a STB going to your EH55 or your Plasma,,,,,,,,,,,,are you able to receive HD as well as digital cable channels ??? or do you mean you are using a Cable Card ???
Something doesn't sound right.
post #462 of 881 Old 11-20-2006, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkart View Post

All you need to know is that the Component Video output stays live even when using the HDMI output. You can test this in a variety of ways without actually ordering & receiving the 25-foot set of Component Video cables. Take a normal Composite Video cable (yellow RCA) and run it to a spare monitor's Composite Video input. You will just be missing the color information but it will determine if there is output. Connect the HDMI, and if you are seeing both the HDMI and the same picture as you saw before you connected the HDMI, you have an affirmitive answer. If the picture on the non-HDMI (spare) monitor goes away when you connect the HDMI then you have a negative answer (i.e., don't order the 25-foot set of Component Video cables). No spare monitor with which to perform this test? No problem, throw an AC Voltmeter on the yellow RCA cable, observe the AC voltage in the working configuration (no HDMI connected), it should be around 1Vpp, connect the HDMI, watch for any change, no change and you're okay, but if the voltage goes to zero (or nearabouts) then there's your negative answer again.

Thanks, I'll give it a shot!
post #463 of 881 Old 11-20-2006, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nx211 View Post

Thanks for the response.

But knowing all this leads me to my next question. If your were going to record a program and you wanted to use only the 1.0 hr or 2.0 hr. bitrate per disc, (HQ or SP speeds), and that the 16:9 flag setting wasn't an issue, which recorder would you use? The Sony or the Panasonic? Are they so close in terms of PQ that it's a wash? Or does the Sony still hold a PQ advantage over the EH55? If I remember correctly, I thought someone posted that the Sony PQ is still better than the Panasonic models that have a 12-bit DAC. But I think this comment was made in regards to a model prior to the EH55.

nx211

If the Panasonic EH55 set the 16:9 flag I would most likely use it because I like its editing and menu capability better than the Sony. I also like the Flexible Recording capability of the Panasonic. I have not compared the PQ of the Panasonic versus the Sony at 1.0 or 2.0 hours. I use my Sony 715 for all recordings up to 2.5 hours because the PQ is good and I don't have to use IfoEdit. Beyond 2.5 hours the PQ of the Sony is not very good and I therefore use the Panasonic EH55 with Flex Recording and then IfoEdit to set the 16:9 flags. I use the Panasonic at the LP speed for compilations of TV shows such as Boston Legal. Since I know that I will have to use IfoEdit to set the 16:9 flags I edit out the commercials on my PC because I can do that faster than on the EH55. I can then get five Boston Legal episodes on a DVD-R without recoding. I tested the LogicDesign filter on the Sony, Panasonic and an old Pioneer and I could not get it to record the 16:9 flags. Another member tested with the newer Pioneers and succeeded in forcing the flags when recording from a DirecTV HR10-250 HD Tivo STB to his Pioneer DVD recorder. If that really works I might consider a Pioneer 640 and the filter to set the flags as my workhorse. There are other threads that talk about LogicDesign filter (LogicDesign is his handle on the DVD Recorder forum).
post #464 of 881 Old 11-20-2006, 10:40 PM

Can anyone tell me how I can setup this unit on my Dish Network 3100 receiver's remote?

Thx
post #465 of 881 Old 11-21-2006, 05:15 AM

I have searched the manual and can't find anything about deleting commercials. I have read on a review site where someone wrote how easy it was to delete commercials. Is there an easy way, like hitting a few buttons, or do I need to manually go to each commercial and delete it myself? Thanks.
post #466 of 881 Old 11-21-2006, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish27 View Post

do I need to manually go to each commercial and delete it myself? Thanks.

Yep. That's what you have to do.
post #467 of 881 Old 11-21-2006, 09:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yep. That's what you have to do.

Hopefully next years model will have this capability.
post #468 of 881 Old 11-22-2006, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish27 View Post

I have searched the manual and can't find anything about deleting commercials. I have read on a review site where someone wrote how easy it was to delete commercials. Is there an easy way, like hitting a few buttons, or do I need to manually go to each commercial and delete it myself? Thanks.

As others have already said you have to manually do it yourself by creating 'chapters' - it's not as bad as it sounds. Yes, it takes some time to do, 5-10 minutes on average for me for a one-hour program. It'd be great if there were an easier way but otherwise it isn't as bad as it may sound.
post #469 of 881 Old 11-22-2006, 09:07 AM

How is the fan? Is it quite when it runs, how about when its off?

Is there any issues with TV Guide? I know my old Panny does.
post #470 of 881 Old 11-22-2006, 09:26 PM

Panasonic shows 4: once, regularly, weekly, and off. So, is "regularly" Panasonic speak for daily or always? And is there some use for "off" as a schedule option? I selected a program in TV Guide (this set up and is working flawlessly, by the way) and used the off option, A bullet marking the scheduled program appeared with a line through it and at the appointed time, the program did not record. This is as expected, but I believe I could have accomplished the same end by . . . doing nothing. What's "off" for?

Thanks!

PatH
post #471 of 881 Old 11-22-2006, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatH View Post

What's "off" for?

For disabling an entry without losing the ability to easily re-enable it. A certain program isn't on this week, but will return on a weekly basis next week, turn it from weekly to off, then back again next week, rather than delete it completely and then have to re-enter all the details.
post #472 of 881 Old 11-23-2006, 08:34 PM

Is PBS the only channel that the TVGOS info comes from? I'm sort of new at this stuff, so sorry, but, I have analog cable (no cable box) and I do have PBS, but my County Cable company tells me that TVGOS won't work, I will have to buy their DVR and pay per month for it. Through my cable, I DO get PBS, so does this mean for sure I will get TVGOS?
post #473 of 881 Old 11-24-2006, 12:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by nms91 View Post

Is PBS the only channel that the TVGOS info comes from? I'm sort of new at this stuff, so sorry, but, I have analog cable (no cable box) and I do have PBS, but my County Cable company tells me that TVGOS won't work, I will have to buy their DVR and pay per month for it. Through my cable, I DO get PBS, so does this mean for sure I will get TVGOS?

You should. I've never heard of any cable company stripping the data from an analog host channel.

Of course, I've never heard of "County Cable" either .

Can't really give you any real assurances here.

Maybe call your local PBS channel(s) and ask them if they send it out either on cable or OTA.
post #474 of 881 Old 11-24-2006, 12:53 AM

Quote:

If the Panasonic EH55 set the 16:9 flag I would most likely use it because I like its editing and menu capability better than the Sony. I also like the Flexible Recording capability of the Panasonic.

I have not compared the PQ of the Panasonic versus the Sony at 1.0 or 2.0 hours...

Thanks for the response. But in the future, if you ever get a chance to compare the Sony and the Panasonic recorders PQ in the 1.0 or 2.0 hr. modes, would you mind posting your thoughts? I would be interested if you could tell a difference.

Also, I don't even know if this would be possible for you, but if it were, could you do the comparison on an analog CRT display? I know you mentioned that you have both a plasma and lcd display, but subtle differences might be a bit more revealing on an analog CRT display since the digital scaler in those other displays might be masking any subtle differences between the two recorders. (They may only be processing color in 10-bits.)

Aprest, know doubt you have better things to do and forget about the request if it's too much trouble. But I thought I would at least pose the question since your the only one in this forum that I know of that has both the Sony and Panasonic recorders and the PQ difference question between the two recorders came up in another thread.

nx211
post #475 of 881 Old 11-24-2006, 04:01 AM

I'm running over analog cable without a box and got TVGOS listings without problem, presumably over local PBS.

PatH
post #476 of 881 Old 11-27-2006, 03:11 PM

I'm getting this machine in a couple of weeks. Does anyone know if you can copy mpegs from the SD card to the hard drive and then burn it to dvd? What about mp3s? Also, what is the highest capacity card it can take? There is a new 4GB card out there.

Thanks for your help.
post #477 of 881 Old 11-30-2006, 02:16 PM

I am thinking of buying the EH55 but I am wondering if it would work well independently of / in tandem with the Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300 DVR (supplied to me by Time Warner Cable). Does anyone out there know if these two items play nice together?

Just would like to know if the functionality of either is compromised in any way by the other if both are driven from a split cable. Is anyone out there using these two DVRs?

Thanks everyone.

There are three kinds of people: those that can count and those that can't. Make sure you are the right kind.
post #478 of 881 Old 12-01-2006, 08:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix2004 View Post

I'm getting this machine in a couple of weeks. Does anyone know if you can copy mpegs from the SD card to the hard drive and then burn it to dvd? What about mp3s? Also, what is the highest capacity card it can take? There is a new 4GB card out there.
Thanks for your help.

I don't have any SD card equipment, but according to the manual;
You can play and copy still pictures taken on a digital camera, etc.
MPEG2 moving pictures shot with a Panasonic SD Video camera, etc. can be copied to the HDD or DVD-RAM.
MPEG2 moving pictures cannot be played directly from the SD card.
Suitable SD Memory Cards = 8 MB, 16 MB, 32 MB, 64 MB, 128 MB, 256 MB, 512 MB, 1 GB, 2 GB (Maximum)
This unit supports SD Memory Cards formatted in FAT12 system and FAT16 system based on SD Memory Card Specifications.
I hope this helps. Snuffy

Snuffy
post #479 of 881 Old 12-01-2006, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatH View Post

I'm running over analog cable without a box and got TVGOS listings without problem, presumably over local PBS.

PatH

That's great, but I don't think that most of us would want to watch an analog cable signal on a large screen TV these days.

This brings up a question. One would probably have more success getting the TVGOS signal if they used RF into the EH55. The question is, if you hooked up s-video as well,which signal would be passed to the TV through the componet outs on the EH55? If the s-video input overrides the RF signal for the video passed to the TV and TVGOS could still be set up to look at the RF channels, this might be a workable solution. But I for one would not sacrifice PQ just to get TVGOS.

Has anyone tried this?
post #480 of 881 Old 12-01-2006, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwd3 View Post

This brings up a question. One would probably have more success getting the TVGOS signal if they used RF into the EH55. The question is, if you hooked up s-video as well,which signal would be passed to the TV through the componet outs on the EH55? If the s-video input overrides the RF signal for the video passed to the TV and TVGOS could still be set up to look at the RF channels, this might be a workable solution.

I use the connection recommended in the book (#3 on the setup guide) ... (I have RF cable from wall to EH55, RF cable from EH55 to tv (no cable box in my installation) ... I think that acts as a "straight thru" for TVGOS or DVDR OFF operation. I have out1 to AV IN on my TV. I think what you're describing would work just fine ... when you're coming from the DVDR to the TV it would use the s-video. If my OLD TV had an s-video connection I'd use it instead of the red/white connection.

Bob R .
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page