post #541 of 881 Old 01-12-2007, 10:46 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by newone88 View Post

question to the owners of this unit or anyone who knows.
Do you lose much of the picture quality if you connect the unit to a TV (hopefully 1080p LCD) via componenet instead of HDMI?
Or will there be no difference if the TV upconvert the picture anyway?

Thanks

I use the Component connection from mine and the pix is surprisingly great. I could see no difference with HDMI except the low level blacks seemed more accurate with Component. That of course is a subjective opinion. My TV is not a 1080p so YMMV.
Snuffy

Snuffy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 881 Old 01-13-2007, 08:27 AM

I've got my EH55 connected to my system using a Y splitter that feeds a digital STB and also feeds the RF connection to my EH55 so that it can utilize the tuner that is built in for TVGOS and channel tuning. I've had a few problems since originally connecting this piece up with my system. First, the TVGOS programming downloaded partially the first time, as of this morning it seems to be corrected. Also, I am experiencing the a blue screen on channels 2, 4 & 5 which are CBS,NBC, & Fox in the NYC Metro market where I live. I am using COMCAST as a cable provider and all of the other channels do appear, albeit a little grainy on certain channels but overall I can at least see them. When I switch my Pre-Amp back to the Digital STB, the channels are crystal clear as opposed to the analog tuner from the PANNY. Assuming the Y splitter I am using isn't defective (& I've tried switching leads between the two units to see if either end would produce a stronger signal so as to receive the 3 channels) what possible other problems could be causing my symptoms. Does one experience signal degradation when you start splitting the coax. cable? What are some viable solutions I could try to correct my problem? Thanks for anyone's help!
post #543 of 881 Old 01-14-2007, 01:14 PM

Just noticed on my local Panasonic website (Panasonic Canada Software Downlaod
that there's a new software update for the DMR-EH55
Date is 2007-01-11, Name up316
Appears to solve a problem with U71 errrors with HDMI connections to Philips TVs.
post #544 of 881 Old 01-14-2007, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopsGeezers View Post

Thank you.
It is a model DMR-EH55 (P9-S) and does have a 200GB HDD. Since I last posted, I was able to connect and receive TVGOS. Seems to now be working fine, however when I switch the TV from the DirecTV s-video input and to the input from the EH55 (which I connected using RCA jacks as shown in manual), the picture quality diminishes and darkens. Can I just use s-video throughout and still have the TVGOS?
This is a great site and I would like to thank all for their previous informative postings.
Pop

You can connect your STB via S-Video on Input 3 of EH-55 and still get TVGOS and better PQ. Better yet, use componet out to TV if your TV has componet in.
post #545 of 881 Old 01-14-2007, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffy101 View Post

I use the Component connection from mine and the pix is surprisingly great. I could see no difference with HDMI except the low level blacks seemed more accurate with Component. That of course is a subjective opinion. My TV is not a 1080p so YMMV.
Snuffy

Before I got my EH-55 I had my TV feed from my DirecTV STB via S-Video (no component out on the STB). Now I go from the STB to EH-55 (Input 3) and then out to the TV via component. I have never seen a better picture than with this setup. To me the cost of the EH-55 was worth it just for the picture quality improvement alone! I have a Panny SD 42-inch plasma TV.
post #546 of 881 Old 01-14-2007, 05:06 PM

I was planning to buy a Pioneer 640H, but the lack of a DV In port, coupled with my need to convert numerous miniDV tapes to DVD and not wanting to use the PC, and not easily being able to find a miniDV camcorder with an S-video jack, has caused me to decide to get the Panasonic EH55.

There was a question earlier in this thread that I didn't see answered, and it obviously would be important for my purposes:
When recording from DV camcorder, the Panny seems to stop DV recording at even the slightest gap/blank tape in the DV tape. Any way to tell it to keep recording and not stop recording when it hits a gap? I really don't want to have to babysit the DVD Recorder as I convert over 40 miniDV tapes to DVD. Would really appreciate anyone's insight.

Thanks,

Chris
post #547 of 881 Old 01-15-2007, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E85Huser View Post

Just noticed on my local Panasonic website (Panasonic Canada Software Downlaod)
Appears to solve a problem with U71 errrors with HDMI connections to Philips TVs.

Thanks for the information!
I'm receiving this error when connected via HDMI from my new DMR-EH75VS to a Vizio VX37L, i had to connect via component cables instead. I also think it has something to do with my Scientific Atlanta 3250HD box being connected to the Vizio via dvi/HDMI cable at the same time but really am not sure. I can't find a firmware update for the DMR-EH75VS that addresses the U71 errors, wondering if i should give the software update for the DMR-EH55 a try or just try to call Panasonic.

post #548 of 881 Old 01-15-2007, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbi2 View Post

Originally Posted by debbi2
bought brand new pany eh55 in Dec 06 and it has never worked correctly. After getting 2 days worth of listings, it will only record one or two shows before we get a message that says "Press ENTER. The last recorded title might have partially been lost because of the problem wiht the disc. For successful recording please try another disc" The disc we were using in all cases was the HDD. We did try reformatting it, but we don't really think it is a disc problem. When this happens we lose all our TVGOS program listings, any Keyword searches, any schedule history, but not the list of shows that are still scheduled. We also lose any changes we made to the lineup, like deleting channels or reordering channels.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

Judy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breyean View Post

I think I have the real answer to this issue.

My EH55 went to Panny for repairs twice. First time they did nothing. Second time they replaced both drives.

While it was being fixed the second time, I called Panny cs and explained (again) my issue. Each time when you talk to a different rep you get a different knowledge base. This guy told me he recalled a few months ago there being an internal Panny email that there was a known issue between the TVGOS in the new models (EH55 and EH75) and the cable companies transmitting the signals. None of the other reps to whom I ever spoke ever mentioned this.

Then I got an pm from another AVS Board member who lives in my town saying he had had the same problem with his EH55. He also had no luck with getting Panny to offer a real solution, but he offered me an interesting idea.

He simply used another ZIP code in setting up his TVGOS, one that was also serviced by Cox, our cable provider, but which was for an adjacent city. This made sense to me since the Panny rep who told me he had heard about our issue also said the cable companies were rolling out the fix on a piecemeal basis. The trick was to find a city or ZIP that had been fixed but that also had the same tv lineup.

I tried it not only on my EH55 but also on my new EH75 which I got for Christmas. That unit NEVER worked, and the TVGOS was lost each afternoon and had to be reset each morning just like the EH55.

So I reset the TVGOS using the ZIP for a nearby area (I used Google to find the ZIP codes). The first one I tried didn't work (the TVGOS never even downloaded), but the second one seems to have been the charm. I've been recording on both units each night for almost 2 weeks without once losing the settings or getting any error messages.

This seemed so far out that I was reluctant to bother, but after I lost my listings while doing nothing but manual records I decided it was worth a try. The first new zip code had the same problem (lost listings after using TVGOS for a primetime record). But the second zip code has been working with nightly primetime records for several days.

Judy
post #549 of 881 Old 01-15-2007, 05:24 PM

Question for any one knowledgeable with the EH55 and knows for sure.
What resolution does the EH55 record in, 704x480 like most of the previous panny recorders, or 720x480?
post #550 of 881 Old 01-15-2007, 07:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falco63 View Post

What resolution does the EH55 record in, 704x480 like most of the previous panny recorders, or 720x480?

I'd like to help, but how would I be able to tell? My EH55's recordings look about the same horizontal resolution as my previous E80H.
Snuffy

Snuffy
post #551 of 881 Old 01-16-2007, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falco63 View Post

720x480, for sure.

RG
post #552 of 881 Old 01-16-2007, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffy101 View Post

I'd like to help, but how would I be able to tell? My EH55's recordings look about the same horizontal resolution as my previous E80H.
Snuffy

Thank you rgazzara.

@Snuffy101
One easy way would be put a disk recorded on the DVD recorder into a computer and let it play in a a media player like Power DVD or Windows Media player and depending on the program used select some menu or maybe right click on the video playing and select some command to show the videos information or properties.

Like in Media Player 11 select the FILE MENU and then PROPERTIES and select the FILE TAB to show some of the file information including the "video size".
In Power DVD 4 RIGHT CLICK on the video playing, select the CONFIGURATION and then select INFORMATION TAB to display a lot of info including the "SOURCE PICTURE RESOLUTION"
post #553 of 881 Old 01-17-2007, 09:04 PM

This site has been more helpful to me than any of the manuals or Panasonic website, and certainly more instructive than the dealer.

I have the Panasonic DMR-EH55 connected to a 42 inch Panasonic plasma screen tv. I'm using a Comcast DCT5100 STB. The initial set-up was frustratingly painful, but I can now view television and DVD's normally.

However, the TVGOS system is still not functioning.

I have the audio output from the STB split via a high quality Y-connector, sending signal to the TV via component cable and the other limb to the IN3 input of the EH55. I use S-video from the STB to the EH55. Yet, all I can get is channel line-up, and an annoying channel flip if the EH55 isn't on. When everything is turned off, I can watch the channels progress on the STB display. But when I check the TVGOS status, all it says is that program info is "in progress". This has been going on for over a week.

Will trying a new zip code in my set-up be worthwhile?
post #554 of 881 Old 01-18-2007, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidK8084 View Post

This site has been more helpful to me than any of the manuals or Panasonic website, and certainly more instructive than the dealer.

I have the Panasonic DMR-EH55 connected to a 42 inch Panasonic plasma screen tv. I'm using a Comcast DCT5100 STB. The initial set-up was frustratingly painful, but I can now view television and DVD's normally.

However, the TVGOS system is still not functioning.

I have the audio output from the STB split via a high quality Y-connector, sending signal to the TV via component cable and the other limb to the IN3 input of the EH55. I use S-video from the STB to the EH55. Yet, all I can get is channel line-up, and an annoying channel flip if the EH55 isn't on. When everything is turned off, I can watch the channels progress on the STB display. But when I check the TVGOS status, all it says is that program info is "in progress". This has been going on for over a week.

Will trying a new zip code in my set-up be worthwhile?

Well, the setup shouldn't take a week. The last time I did it on my EH55 it took one afternoon to fully populate the TGVGOS listings.

Even though I have a STB for my digital cable, I bypass it by splitting the cable before it goes into the box. I run one coax into the RF In on my Pannys (I have 3 connected to my tv in my family room). I then run the other split into the STB, from there into my home theater receiver and then into L1 on each of my Pannys. That way I can record one show from the digital stations and two others from basic cable. When I want to channel surf, I can either use just the STB or and of the Pannys set to L1 and get all the digital stations.

So I guess my suggestion w/b to try to eliminate the STB and see if you the EH55 will do the setup. Then you have a better idea of whether the unit or the STB is causing the problem.
post #555 of 881 Old 02-09-2007, 07:22 PM

totally new user on all this... new subscriber to Dish Network and I bought the Panasonic E55S at Fry's.

I can't get the TV guide to work

My connection setup
)Dish [Dish HD RCVR]---------------------HDMI-------------------------[TV]
)~~~[Dish HD RCVR]-------------------RF-------[PanH55s]-----RF---[TV]
)Dish [Dish HD RCVR]--RGB----------[PanH55s]--------RGB----------[TV]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I get TV from the Dish network through the E55HS and can record TV manually.
But the TV guide doesnt download and I've read conflicting info that it doesnt work. While the manual list "Dish Network" in the TV Guide setup???

Does anyone have the Panasonic E55HS fully functional on Dish Network?

I'm Lost

Thanks for any help...

Dave
post #556 of 881 Old 02-09-2007, 07:48 PM

just out of curiousity, what does it say when you go to "Setup" and "Display setup progress"?

I had a lot of trouble getting my EH55 to work with the TVGOS. I have straight cable, so can't help with the dish network part. I would get listings but couldn't keep them if I used the guide to schedule programs. Someone suggested trying a different zip code. I am on my 6th zip code now and it has been working for 2 weeks. The longest I had gone before was 2 days.

This probably isn't much help for you.

Judy
post #557 of 881 Old 02-10-2007, 06:06 AM

Setup procedure appears normal it even ask what service and I check Dishnetwork. It also ask for what input and I've used RF3 and IN3. Looks as though the TV Guide doesnt even attempt to be downloaded???
I dont have an option to "check setup status" When I mash the TV Guide button a window displays with a video (Sat Ch) playing in the upper left corner. The left side has two small windows with the TV Guide logo. Then a larger window to the right with No Schedule displayed. Top of that is a "history" and "Setup" pull down button...???
post #558 of 881 Old 02-14-2007, 01:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbodkin View Post

Setup procedure appears normal it even ask what service and I check Dishnetwork. It also ask for what input and I've used RF3 and IN3. Looks as though the TV Guide doesnt even attempt to be downloaded???
I dont have an option to "check setup status" When I mash the TV Guide button a window displays with a video (Sat Ch) playing in the upper left corner. The left side has two small windows with the TV Guide logo. Then a larger window to the right with No Schedule displayed. Top of that is a "history" and "Setup" pull down button...???

I don't think Dish passes along any TVGOS signal. You might need to try hooking up a set of rabbit ears or some other type of antenna to receive the TVGOS data over-the-air.

I thought I remembered reading somewhere here that, at least as far as having Dish was concerned, this is mentioned somewhere in the manual.
post #559 of 881 Old 02-14-2007, 03:58 PM

It's a step to select "DishNetwork" in the DMR H55 users guide... Still doesnt work with any input I select. I havent contacted Panasonic yet just havent had time. I will probably get to it by Friday. If they cant get it running then it's going back to the store.... I havent a clue how companies expect people to buy this and it flat out not work.... If I were to sell them a car that the engine wouldnt run I'm sure they would be screaming
post #560 of 881 Old 02-16-2007, 12:08 PM

I finally got around to calling Panasonic tech support. Their answer "Sorry it doesnt work with Dish Network" My response will probably be to return it to Fry's... Really steams me that companies do this... trouble is I think it is a TVGOS<>DVDR/DVR technology defect. So I guess no DVR/DVDR will have the TV guide support
post #561 of 881 Old 02-16-2007, 02:21 PM

On page 16, 28 and 71 of your manual it states that you can record tv programs on the eh55 by using the DISH network receiver's schedule. (the eh55 does NOT download the TVGOS when interfaced with the DISH network). But it only works with certain recievers from DISH. Here is a link to which receivers work with the Panasonic DVD Recorders and how to set up recordings via the DISH receiver if it compatible.

http://www.tvgos.com/support/echostar/
post #562 of 881 Old 02-19-2007, 05:03 AM

Liked: 11
There are several things about the "Edit Title->Title Name" menu that irritate me.

First off, if when I burn a disc the title is going to be displayed in a short fat rectangle (3 lines of text), then why am I editing it in a long thin rectangle (1 line of text)? I have to put in lots of weird spaces to make the text wrap around at the right place (between words).

They have really screwed up the handling of variable width characters. If you find you've used enough narrow characters, then it won't let you keep typing even though the small rectangle isn't full yet.

The one I really hate... Some characters cannot be placed at the beginning of the second line like "T" for example. So, if you want the little box to say...

Episode 1:
The Beginning

... you can't have the T line up under the E. If you delete the leading space the T pops back to the end of the previous line.

It's nice to have a place to stash templates for titles you use all the time, but why limit them to even less characters than they allow in the title box? Were they afraid they'd run out of space on the 200GB drive?!?

This is all just really lame, and nothing to do with the fact this is otherwise a nice recorder. This seems like something they could easily fix with a firmware patch.
post #563 of 881 Old 02-19-2007, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persil View Post

There are several things about the "Edit Title->Title Name" menu that irritate me.

First off, if when I burn a disc the title is going to be displayed in a short fat rectangle (3 lines of text), then why am I editing it in a long thin rectangle (1 line of text)? I have to put in lots of weird spaces to make the text wrap around at the right place (between words).

They have really screwed up the handling of variable width characters. If you find you've used enough narrow characters, then it won't let you keep typing even though the small rectangle isn't full yet.

The one I really hate... Some characters cannot be placed at the beginning of the second line like "T" for example. So, if you want the little box to say...

Episode 1:
The Beginning

... you can't have the T line up under the E. If you delete the leading space the T pops back to the end of the previous line.

It's nice to have a place to stash templates for titles you use all the time, but why limit them to even less characters than they allow in the title box? Were they afraid they'd run out of space on the 200GB drive?!?

This is all just really lame, and nothing to do with the fact this is otherwise a nice recorder. This seems like something they could easily fix with a firmware patch.

Yeah, I've got the same complaint with my EH-75V. You'd think that they could come up with some sort of automated wordwrap or something. I haven't looked at all the (9 I think) different title boxes that you can choose from, but I think that they are all the same shape, just different colors and patterns.
post #564 of 881 Old 02-20-2007, 09:28 AM

Looks like I'm going to return the EH55S. Is there a compairable DVDR/DVR on the market? A nice size HDD and must be compatible with DISHNETWORK????
post #565 of 881 Old 02-20-2007, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

According to the TVGOS internet site (here) the EH-55 will work with some Dish Network receivers.

Perhaps the information provided here will be useful.

RG
post #566 of 881 Old 02-20-2007, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E85Huser View Post

Just noticed on my local Panasonic website (Panasonic Canada Software Downlaod

Is there any significance to the fact that this is on the Canadian support site and not on the US site also?
As a US user, is it okay to download this and use?
post #567 of 881 Old 02-24-2007, 11:05 AM

Once again, I'm returning for some advice that is lacking from other sources.

When I purchased my DMR-EH55S, for some reason, I assumed it would play HD DVD disks. Is this not the case? I just tried to play an HD disk I ordered from Netflicks, and the machine does not acknowledge its presence when I load it.

Bad disk or incompatible format?
post #568 of 881 Old 02-24-2007, 07:29 PM

incompatible format. this unit does standard DVDs only.

-- berto
post #569 of 881 Old 03-07-2007, 04:47 PM

I've had my DMR-EH55 working successfully with a Dish 301 STB, using video into IN3 from the Dish box to switch on record automatically from recordings set up in the Dish menu - worked fine, gave me titles in the recording, wonderful. Last week we had a power outage lasting about 1.5 hours, and since then the Dish box will not control the EH55 - may be a coincidence. I've tried changing the controlling input to RF - still no joy. Anyone else had a similar experience?

TIA
post #570 of 881 Old 03-08-2007, 01:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyltond View Post

I've had my DMR-EH55 working successfully with a Dish 301 STB, using video into IN3 from the Dish box to switch on record automatically from recordings set up in the Dish menu - worked fine, gave me titles in the recording, wonderful. Last week we had a power outage lasting about 1.5 hours, and since then the Dish box will not control the EH55 - may be a coincidence. I've tried changing the controlling input to RF - still no joy. Anyone else had a similar experience?

TIA

Have you tried resetting up things from scratch on the DVR's end?

I ask this because I know that often you will lose TVGOS settings after a power failure.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page