Panasonic DMR-EH55 User Review and Questions - Page 30 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #871 of 881 Old 12-10-2010, 04:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi - I've been scanning this post looking for a solution to not getting TVGOS thru my EH-55. I've talked to my cable provider (Charter) and Panasonic without getting resolution. The CBS channel that passes the TVGOS is far enough away (Mason City, IA) that the antenna option suggested doesn't appear to be practical. Panasonic indicates the problem is that certain Motorola set-top boxes can not receive the TVGOS. Any additional thoughts on work-arounds? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #872 of 881 Old 12-10-2010, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 83
WCCO in MSP broadcasts digital TVGOS so if you can receive WCCO and purchase one of the two CECBs that convert digital TVGOS to analog you may have luck using that to supply TVGOS to your EH-55.
post #873 of 881 Old 12-10-2010, 04:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Another thing I can think of that you can try is to split the cable signal - one leg to the cable box (which would be hooked up to the recorder through a line input), and the other to the RF in on the recorder.

If they're still including the analog TVGOS on the incoming line, it should be picked up by the recorder's tuner.

You'd have to set up appropriately for the sources involved, through the TVGOS setup (but I know - because I have one - that the EH55 lets you setup for more than one source, so you should be good to go there, at least).
post #874 of 881 Old 11-08-2012, 11:09 AM

Just in case anyone is still reading these posts, I have EH55 that has worked extremely well for many years even after I added the DTVPal digital converter box for OTA use. I use it to record TV programs on a hard drive and I have been spoiled. But I have seen a notice about the digital TVGOS being shut off after Nov 1, 2012.

I believe this DVR records based on the program name and I wanted to confirm it will no longer be able to record without the TV Guide program information. I have another DVR (CM7000 Pal) that also has TVGOS but uses the day and time for recording. What would you recommend as a replacement for the EH55?

Thanks for your help and advice.
post #875 of 881 Old 11-08-2012, 11:30 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
I have two EH55's that I've set to record at various times. I have never used TVGOS, whatever that is. I had to go through a one-time procedure to turn off the TVGOS, but from then on, it's just a simple process of manually entering the dates and times. Be advised, "Daily" is Monday thru Friday. This is documented in the E85H manual, but not in the EH55 book.

Hope this is helpful, if I properly understood your question.
post #876 of 881 Old 11-08-2012, 12:15 PM

lost the tv guide recording ability months ago. now i set the recordings manually.

cheaper than paying comcast $15 a month for a DVR.
post #877 of 881 Old 11-08-2012, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcate View Post

... I wanted to confirm it will no longer be able to record without the TV Guide program information. What would you recommend as a replacement for the EH55?
As RichardT said the EH-55 works just fine without TVGOS, you use the manual event option instead of the grid.
Note you will want to disable TVGOS otherwise it will keep trying to find the signal.
To disable TVGOS, with the unit ON hold down both the CH up and CH down buttons on the main unit. This will preform a type of factory reset(nothing on HDD will be lost and most preferences will stay as-is but some will change to default). After the reset you will need to go through the TVGOS setup, enter everything as instructed(including the code number for your DTVPal CECB). After a couple days of searching for a signal you will be given the option to continue or stop searching. Select stop searching and you can use your EH-55 in the manual event mode without it continuing to search for a TVGOS signal.
It would SURE be nice to just have a ON/OFF option for TVGOS but for whatever reason users are forced to at least try and find a TVGOS signal, even for areas that have no TVGOS rolleyes.gif
AFA a replacement, nothing is really available new with a digital tuner or IR blaster, you want to keep your EH-55 going as long as you can, it's about as good as Panasonic got in N. America.
post #878 of 881 Old 11-08-2012, 05:32 PM

Wow..2 years later....

Anyway, is there any way to get recordings transfered from the EH-55 to my PC?
post #879 of 881 Old 11-08-2012, 07:21 PM
Advanced Member

There is a quicker way to disable TVGOS. If memory serves me correctly, the EH55 wants to go thru a channel search. Let it, with a dummy zip code.

Then the manual, page 67, last FAQ: "I do not want to use TV Guide On Screen", set unit with "Set Channels Automatically" in the Setup menu. The Setup menu is described on page 64.

Then there is the note that says you can set recordings only manually after setting the unit with "Set Channels Automatically"! Trust me; it works.

Also, it seems to me that the clock can be set only after disabling TVGOS.
post #880 of 881 Old 11-08-2012, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix2004 View Post

Anyway, is there any way to get recordings transfered from the EH-55 to my PC?
Yes. Burn them to a RAM or DVD-RW and load them into the optical drive on your PC.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #881 of 881 Old 11-10-2012, 04:55 PM
Advanced Member

MY APOLOGIES! The instruction for disabling TVGOS I so glibly posted in my previous post doesn't work.

It is possible to disable the TVGOS, and it didn't take days, as I recall, but I don't remember what it did (does) take. Thank goodness, the EH59 doesn't have a TVGOS to disable.

Setting the clock is greyed out until the TVGOS is disabled. I still have an EH55 at church that I record on, but but don't use the timer on that one. I have three other EH55's that have the TVGOS disabled, so it is possible.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page