Panasonic DMR-EH55 User Review and Questions - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 881 Old 06-13-2006, 01:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Take the DVD Recorder out of the equation, will the Camcorder record anything sent to it via Composite Video or S-Video? That is what I think you're having a problem with. That the DVD Recorder can output to those connections is a given, or you wouldn't be able to watch the DVD Recorder's output on your display.

Many Camcorders can't record from Line Input, you say yours can, but you need to be sure you know how to get it into the right mode for doing that. It's typically done through a series of menu operations, depending of course on the brand of Camcorder. If the manual says it can record from Line Input, then hopefully it also outlines the procedure for doing that. It won't just be "Turn it on, plug in the cables, and hit Record". Those Line Inputs usually are also Line Outputs, and you need to get it into Line Input Mode first. You should be able to get to the point of seeing the signal being sent to the Line Input on the viewfinder (and/or LCD screen if it has one, don't they all now?), then start the recording according to the directions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 881 Old 06-13-2006, 09:31 AM

Okay it sounds like were on the same page. Getting the signal in review function seems to be like what you would want if the camcorder was being uaed as a pass through. Will check to make sure that I have it set for proper record line-in , these things really have so many options. Manual does give the commands like hit the record button and then backlight button. Perhaps it is operators error....LOL later on today I will give it another try with your suggestions see what happens. Thanks for help!
post #93 of 881 Old 06-14-2006, 09:08 AM

Can anyone who has already snagged a Panny DMR EH-55 tell me your thoughts on the HDMI connector and upconverting on your HDTV? I'm curious to know if you can see the benefits of upconverting from the EH-55 vs. your conventional DVD player. Thanks!

SNazz
post #94 of 881 Old 06-14-2006, 11:22 AM

When I record 2 or more programs in consecutive time slots on the same channel (e.g. a program from 5:00 to 5:30 and another at 5:30 to 6:00 on channel 6), it will tune to the incorrect channel for the 2nd program. Happens using TVGOS or manual programming.

It would be great if someone who has one of these could try this and tell me the results, thanks.

I've already returned mine, but I would still like to know if that was a bad unit.
post #95 of 881 Old 06-14-2006, 01:11 PM

tscheer,

I will give it a try and let you know.
post #96 of 881 Old 06-14-2006, 03:34 PM

steve1214: thanks! I hope yours works.
post #97 of 881 Old 06-14-2006, 03:55 PM

I just got the Panny EH55 yesterday, and really like it. It's a replacement for my Pioneer 520 (DVD drive basically not working right). So, there are some things I'm very used to from the Pioneer, that I'm wondering if anyone else with the Panasonic has a fix/different setting/method for:

1) When recording from DV camcorder, the Panny seems to stop DV recording at even the slightest gap/blank tape in the DV tape. Any way to tell it to keep recording and not stop recording when it hits a gap?

2) When playing a DVD disc - when the disc is finished (or the stop button is pressed), the Panny defaults to the blue "DVD" background screen, rather than defaulting back to whatever channel the unit is set to. Any way around this?

I may have more questions later as I discover more functions of the unit. For now, though, it's great - and certainly beats my Pioneer which has needed far more repairs than should be necessary in less than two years!
post #98 of 881 Old 06-14-2006, 05:39 PM

tscheer,

I just did a test where i manually programmed the unit to record channel 52 from 7:10 to 7:15 and then a consecutive program from 7:15 to 7:20 on the same channel. Both recorded fine and no channel switching ocurred.

I still dont have the tvgos going yet as it cant seem to find a host channel so i dont know if that makes a difference or not but manual recording works just fine.
post #99 of 881 Old 06-14-2006, 06:07 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by trekrobyn View Post

I'm wondering if anyone else with the Panasonic has a fix/different setting/method for:

1) When recording from DV camcorder, the Panny seems to stop DV recording at even the slightest gap/blank tape in the DV tape. Any way to tell it to keep recording and not stop recording when it hits a gap?

I posted three possible ways to test this in the "DV Recording issue" thread, but here's a recap, for what it's worth:

1. For times when you change from one event to another, with a time gap between taping, cap the lens, and record "black" for a short time.

2. Just make sure new video picks back up before the previous last frame.

3. Use the video producer's method of "striping" a complete camcorder tape by recording black (lens cap on) from end to end, then rewinding and starting the shoot at the beginning (i.e., re-recording over the black).

#3 might be the "best" way to keep video "bits" flowing without gaps...just remember that you'll be striping with sound so don't say anything you aren't proud of while it's striping!!!

The unkown in all of these is that maybe the Panny senses all camcorder "Stops" as new titles. That would really be a bummer...totally illogical too!!!
post #100 of 881 Old 06-14-2006, 07:24 PM
Advanced Member

Can this recorder detect a 16:9 recording (widescreen) from a camcorder if you used the dv input or S-video input. This was an issue I read in another post from a different panny model. The pioneer automatically detects teh 16:9 signal and records it. I want to make sure before I take the plunge if this panny recorder will capture the widescreen using DV input w/o any special tricks (like recording to RAM disc firsts). Thanks
post #101 of 881 Old 06-14-2006, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1214 View Post

tscheer,

I just did a test where i manually programmed the unit to record channel 52 from 7:10 to 7:15 and then a consecutive program from 7:15 to 7:20 on the same channel. Both recorded fine and no channel switching ocurred.

I still dont have the tvgos going yet as it cant seem to find a host channel so i dont know if that makes a difference or not but manual recording works just fine.

Thanks. That gives me hope the replacement unit will work.
post #102 of 881 Old 06-14-2006, 08:51 PM

Quote:

I just got the Panny EH55 yesterday, and really like it. It's a replacement for my Pioneer 520 (DVD drive basically not working right). So, there are some things I'm very used to from the Pioneer, that I'm wondering if anyone else with the Panasonic has a fix/different setting/method for:

2) When playing a DVD disc - when the disc is finished (or the stop button is pressed), the Panny defaults to the blue "DVD" background screen, rather than defaulting back to whatever channel the unit is set to. Any way around this?

I may have more questions later as I discover more functions of the unit. For now, though, it's great - and certainly beats my Pioneer which has needed far more repairs than should be necessary in less than two years!

On mine, the unit goes back to the channel I was watching. But I have to wait about 3 minutes after the disc is done. I think I have "video off" in the setting.
post #103 of 881 Old 06-14-2006, 09:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:

With the E85, you press stop twice, to return to tv viewing mode...Try it.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #104 of 881 Old 06-14-2006, 10:52 PM

Okay it's a go...You can record back to the camcorder from HDD of the Panny, any connections works, s-video, yellow, red, white or dv. I just didn't follow the instructions to the T. I'm so stoked that it works. BTW you can hook up the camcorder directly to TIVO output and record to the camcord. This is an advantage for me as I will being editing, and then can transfer back to the DVR for burning of DVD.
post #105 of 881 Old 06-14-2006, 10:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Like they say, when all else fails, read the instructions.
post #106 of 881 Old 06-15-2006, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

TAFC, Don't know about your camcorder & you might want to check it out but most camcorders that have "Inputs" on them will usually not pick up any of the Macrovision signals so you can copy DVDs & Video Tapes to the camcorder which in turn can then be dubbed back to a DVD.
post #107 of 881 Old 06-15-2006, 02:24 PM

Quote:

I was wondering where you got your DMR-EH55. Most of the Websites I checked have "out of stock" and I am still back ordered from ecost.com.
post #108 of 881 Old 06-15-2006, 02:50 PM

vanns.com
free shipping (fedex ground)

I ordered it last thursday afternoon (6/8) and it arrived via fedex on tue (6/13)
post #109 of 881 Old 06-16-2006, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tscheer View Post

When I record 2 or more programs in consecutive time slots on the same channel (e.g. a program from 5:00 to 5:30 and another at 5:30 to 6:00 on channel 6), it will tune to the incorrect channel for the 2nd program. Happens using TVGOS or manual programming.

It would be great if someone who has one of these could try this and tell me the results, thanks.

I've already returned mine, but I would still like to know if that was a bad unit.

tscheer,

hi. i tried using the TGOS to record 2 consecutive 1/2 hr programs on same channel, and it did work. (can also do the same using manually channel programming as steve1214 mentioned.)

so it is possible, and hopefully you just had a bad EH-55 unit.
post #110 of 881 Old 06-16-2006, 08:38 PM

thanks, wickerman
post #111 of 881 Old 06-17-2006, 08:33 AM

Quote:

vanns.com
free shipping (fedex ground)

I ordered it last thursday afternoon (6/8) and it arrived via fedex on tue (6/13)

Thanks trekrobyn...

Now the site says "Coming soon." I guess Panasonic didn't anticipate the demand or has had problems with the manufacturing.
post #112 of 881 Old 06-18-2006, 07:18 PM

does the EH55 have a DAC(digital to analog conversion) feature like the one in the Pioneer 640?
post #113 of 881 Old 06-18-2006, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

bnm81002, Exactly what do you mean by digital to analog conversion? because "ALL" dvd PLAYERS & RECORDERS have DAC.
post #114 of 881 Old 06-18-2006, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah a Digital-to-Analog Conversion is how the bits stored on the DVD for the audio and video of the program get converted to analog A/V signals suitable for display on a TV. So unless you meant a different D-to-A conversion that those, the answer would be yes.
post #115 of 881 Old 06-18-2006, 08:15 PM

thanks guys, I was trying to compare the 2 recorders(EH55 and 640) the Pioneer site lists the "DAC" as a feature in fact a Video DAC and Audio DAC, while the Panasonic site doesn't mention this feature at all, I know it's time consuming but I just wish that if someone could list a comparison of the features for both recorders, I know of 3 differences of the recorders,
1-the hard drives(Panny-200GB Pion-160GB)
2-TVGO on Panny but not on Pion
3-DV input(Panny-yes Pion-no)
are there others that I am missing? I'm leaning towards the Panny cause of the DV input but if the Pion has some features that the Panny doesn't, I may reconsider, thanks guys
post #116 of 881 Old 06-18-2006, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Yep, all DVD Players msut have both an Audio DAC and a Video DAC.

Audio DAC: 24 bits / 96KHz or 192KHz

Video DAC: 10 bits or 12 bits / 54MHz or 108MHz

The bit sizes tells you the resolution of the DAC, (how many distinct analog voltage levels it can generate from digital input data sample), and the frequencies tell you how fast the DAC can be run, i.e. how many times per second a sample value can be transformed from the digital domain into the analog domain.
post #117 of 881 Old 06-19-2006, 12:03 AM

Hello all. This is my first post , but I've been reading this thread (and anything else I could find on the EH55) for months.

Today I bit the bullet and ordered one from HiDef Lifestyle, who listed it as "in stock" on 6/16. I hope they are a reputable company. We'll see, and I'll be happy to contribute to the discussion when it arrives.

Meanwhile, can anyone tell me how many pins the dv input terminal requires, so I can get a firewire cable before the unit arrives? Thanks for all the info to date, and for any advice.
post #118 of 881 Old 06-19-2006, 07:54 AM

Update: Well perhaps it was too good to be true. I checked my EH55 order this morning and under status, it said "backorder." How disappointing. Checked the website, still said "in stock," so I called. The CSA apologized, said were expecting them soon but shipment hadn't yet come in. Offered to cancel my order and assured credit card would not be charged until unit shipped. I decided to let it stand, as they still have the best price and no one else seems to have it in stock either.

At least he updated the website and took down the "in stock" almost immediately.
post #119 of 881 Old 06-19-2006, 02:39 PM

I got one from J&H that was defective and I returned it (excellent service from them), and the woman said it'll probably be next week before they have a replacement to send me.
post #120 of 881 Old 06-19-2006, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Is that J&R or B&H, or perhaps some store I've never heard of?
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)