post #181 of 881 Old 07-26-2006, 11:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCallen View Post

This may be what happened, as I was recording on TCM or FMC, and I think its PBS that braodcasts the guide.

I had shut the unit off about 12:30 am.

I almost did not set the timers so guide would be certain to load but was a couple of movies I just had to have so I tried it to see what would happen.

This brings up an new feature for the next modle 2 tuners for picture in picture, and tuner 2 would be set for priority of the guide, could never use it to record, this would also allow you to keep the unit on and bewacthing something else, while guide downlloads.

Just A thought, Later Bruce

Yea, a good idea, but I'd like to see the machine designers try to get THAT thru the "bean-counters"!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 881 Old 07-27-2006, 06:19 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

This brings up an new feature for the next modle 2 tuners for picture in picture, and tuner 2 would be set for priority of the guide, could never use it to record, this would also allow you to keep the unit on and bewacthing something else, while guide downlloads.

Just A thought, Later Bruce

The second tuner in the DVDR would be of no use if your setup includes a STB for cable or satellite.
post #183 of 881 Old 07-27-2006, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

I would like 2 tuners just to be able to record 2 shows on different channels at the same time!

RG
post #184 of 881 Old 07-27-2006, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgazzara View Post

I would like 2 tuners just to be able to record 2 shows on different channels at the same time!

I have a RCA DirecTV PVR (Ultimate TV similar to TIVO) that has two tuners. Hypothetically, if the EH-55 attempts to change to the station to update the guide and the STB is doing a timed recording, the other tuner will change to the requested station and there will be no interruption in downloading the guide.

But another problem I am currently having with getting the initial TVGOS download is that the EH-55 only searches stations 200 to 999 and will not find my enabled TVGOS PBS station channel 6! I have monitored the search and each time it starts over it starts at channel 200. Anyone have this problem or can otherwise help resolve it?

Harry
post #185 of 881 Old 07-27-2006, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwd3 View Post

But another problem I am currently having with getting the initial TVGOS download is that the EH-55 only searches stations 200 to 999 and will not find my enabled TVGOS PBS station channel 6! I have monitored the search and each time it starts over it starts at channel 200. Anyone have this problem or can otherwise help resolve it?

Harry

I am having the same problem, I was wondering why my denver channles were not comming in channels 2 - 31, and this is why unit is starting at 200 and up.

I too would like to know how to fix this.

Later Bruce
post #186 of 881 Old 07-27-2006, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have a RCA DirecTV PVR (Ultimate TV similar to TIVO) that has two tuners. Hypothetically, if the EH-55 attempts to change to the station to update the guide and the STB is doing a timed recording, the other tuner will change to the requested station and there will be no interruption in downloading the guide.

Harry

Is your RCA DirecTV receiver on the list of receivers that supports TVGOS? If not, that might be your problem, as only supported receivers will work with the TVGOS. To see the list click here.

If it is not supported, then you may have to go the manual timer recording route.

RG
post #187 of 881 Old 07-27-2006, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am having the same problem, I was wondering why my denver channles were not comming in channels 2 - 31, and this is why unit is starting at 200 and up.

Later Bruce

You need to specify how you receive your TV signal.

RG
post #188 of 881 Old 07-27-2006, 02:59 PM

Quote:

Later Bruce

Bruce...

Since you have received your initial download and subsequent updates, your PBS station must have a channel # greater than 200. What is the channel number of your PBS station that downloads the guide? Mine is part of the Sacramento, CA local channels, Channel 6, so I don't know how I am going to get the guide to download.
post #189 of 881 Old 07-27-2006, 08:37 PM

Quote:

Bruce...

Since you have received your initial download and subsequent updates, your PBS station must have a channel # greater than 200. What is the channel number of your PBS station that downloads the guide? Mine is part of the Sacramento, CA local channels, Channel 6, so I don't know how I am going to get the guide to download.

6 and 12 are my pbs, and they show up on direct tv as 6 and 12, but in the eh55 guide all denver channles show up in the 900 area.

My reciever is compatable and on the list acording to panasonic,
(they ask for my brand and modle #)
so I do not understand whay the channles dont show up 2 - 31

if you havent, do make sure your reciever make and modle # are compatable, is worth a call to panasonic to make sure.

when I click on any of the 900 channles they dont work.

I will be trying panasonic help again to see if they have any answers

since my downloaded the guide yours should to, if you have tried the suggestions in this thread, you may need to call your pbs to make sure they are sending the info, they do go down from time to time.

Later Bruce

PS is very important to have the rf (coaxial cable) out from eh55 to reciever or cable box rf in, as this is how the eh55 tell the box to send the guide, over to the reciever via rca video cable.
post #190 of 881 Old 07-28-2006, 05:27 AM
AVS Special Member

For a list of TVGOS-supported DirecTV receivers click here.

RG
post #191 of 881 Old 07-28-2006, 11:12 AM

Quote:

6 and 12 are my pbs, and they show up on direct tv as 6 and 12, but in the eh55 guide all denver channles show up in the 900 area.

My reciever is compatable and on the list acording to panasonic,
(they ask for my brand and modle #)
so I do not understand whay the channles dont show up 2 - 31

if you havent, do make sure your reciever make and modle # are compatable, is worth a call to panasonic to make sure.

when I click on any of the 900 channles they dont work.

I will be trying panasonic help again to see if they have any answers

since my downloaded the guide yours should to, if you have tried the suggestions in this thread, you may need to call your pbs to make sure they are sending the info, they do go down from time to time.

Later Bruce

PS is very important to have the rf (coaxial cable) out from eh55 to reciever or cable box rf in, as this is how the eh55 tell the box to send the guide, over to the reciever via rca video cable.

You mentioned that you are connected to the STB via RCA composite video. That may be the answer. I am connected via S-Video on IN3. You wouldn't think that would matter, but you never know.

I do recall when I got my local stations from DirecTV, a long time ago, they had numbers in the 900's. Somehow I was able to change the channel numbers to correspond with the local broadcast stations (3,6,10,13..., etc.) in the guide, but I don't know how to change them back. If I hear you right, the EH-55 sees them as being in the 900 range and can download the guide anyway. Is that correct?

My receiver is an RCA DWD490RE, which is no longer made and is not on the TVGOS list of tested receivers found to work or not to work. This doesn't mean it won't work however. It just means it hasn't been tested. I think the fact that the EH-55 is able to change channels on my STB is a good sign that it will work. I have "Ultimate TV" receiver from DirecTV, which is similar to TIVO, and "Ultimate TV"is on the list of "brands" in the EH-55 setup menu.

Harry
post #192 of 881 Old 07-28-2006, 11:38 AM

Quote:

You mentioned that you are connected to the STB via RCA composite video. That may be the answer. I am connected via S-Video on IN3. You wouldn't think that would matter, but you never know.

I do recall when I got my local stations from DirecTV, a long time ago, they had numbers in the 900's. Somehow I was able to change the channel numbers to correspond with the local broadcast stations (3,6,10,13..., etc.) in the guide, but I don't know how to change them back. If I hear you right, the EH-55 sees them as being in the 900 range and can download the guide anyway. Is that correct?

My receiver is an RCA DWD490RE, which is no longer made and is not on the TVGOS list of tested receivers found to work or not to work. This doesn't mean it won't work however. It just means it hasn't been tested. I think the fact that the EH-55 is able to change channels on my STB is a good sign that it will work. I have "Ultimate TV" receiver from DirecTV, which is similar to TIVO, and "Ultimate TV"is on the list of "brands" in the EH-55 setup menu.

Harry

When I first got my direct tv, the locals came thru in the 900s, then after a few weeks they showed up in the low nubmers, I did nothing, so I think this is a direct tv sofware download manuver.

I had a reciever go belly up a while back, and got another one for $30 from our direct tv provider, RCA DRD435RH is the reciever I am useing

A friend got one for free once. It would be worth checking with your provider about another reciever.

Rca / S video you never know till you try

the channle changing is easyer than downloading the guide, operation of either one by itself does not garentee that the other function will work

The Ir blasters only function is to change channles like a universal remote.

the communication that goes on between eh55 & box is a seperate entity.
(I think)

Later Bruce
post #193 of 881 Old 07-28-2006, 11:45 AM

here is a quote from the link that has a list of approved recievers right from there page:

"The following DIRECTV satellite receivers are known to work with the TV Guide On Screen system. As TV Guide On Screen continues to evaluate additional receivers, they will be added to this page."

If your reciever is there it will work if it any broke.

If your reciever is not there it does not mean it wont work, just not known to, and you should call panasonic as they have the latest list of which recievers work and which ones do not.

In most cases you can up grade to a low end reciever for less than a $100. and some even do it for free, a friend said to his direct tv provider that if he had to pay for a reciever, he would just switch to dish as they had free recievers and free install, thats all it took and his direct tv provider gave him a free reciever!

Later Bruce
post #194 of 881 Old 07-28-2006, 01:16 PM

Quote:

here is a quote from the link that has a list of approved recievers right from there page:

"The following DIRECTV satellite receivers are known to work with the TV Guide On Screen system. As TV Guide On Screen continues to evaluate additional receivers, they will be added to this page."

If your reciever is there it will work if it any broke.

If your reciever is not there it does not mean it wont work, just not known to, and you should call panasonic as they have the latest list of which recievers work and which ones do not.

In most cases you can up grade to a low end reciever for less than a $100. and some even do it for free, a friend said to his direct tv provider that if he had to pay for a reciever, he would just switch to dish as they had free recievers and free install, thats all it took and his direct tv provider gave him a free reciever!

Later Bruce

Thanks Bruce...

It would be a cold day in hell before I would give up my receiver! I have an 80 gig HD, two tuners, a dynamite interactive interface, much better than TIVO or DirecTV, which was developed by MicroSoft and that RCA doesn't make any more. So I would give up having TVGOS, and even a DVD recorder altogether, before switching satellite receivers. I will call Panasonic again, but the last time I called I got a guy that knew less than I do about the EH-55.

I guess I still don't understand how your EH-55 was able to download the guide without being able to tune to stations below 200.

Harry
post #195 of 881 Old 07-28-2006, 05:55 PM

Quote:

Thanks Bruce...

It would be a cold day in hell before I would give up my receiver! I have an 80 gig HD, two tuners, a dynamite interactive interface, much better than TIVO or DirecTV, which was developed by MicroSoft and that RCA doesn't make any more. So I would give up having TVGOS, and even a DVD recorder altogether, before switching satellite receivers. I will call Panasonic again, but the last time I called I got a guy that knew less than I do about the EH-55.

I guess I still don't understand how your EH-55 was able to download the guide without being able to tune to stations below 200.

Harry

Wow Nice reciever I wouldnt want to replace it either, next call ask for a senior tech it may help.

Some how it did get a lock on pbs. It Must Have.

after you get the guide up, I just found out how to assign a different channle #

Press the tv guide button, when guide comes up find the channle that you want to change the # on, and highlight the channle logo & # on the left, then press submenu

when submenu comes up highlight edit channles

then move highlight over to the direct tv channle on far right of screen and highlight old # then use key pad of remote to enter new # while old one is highlighted and press enter, up in the top (the mdescriptor box) it should say somthing like direct tv channle 910 has been reassigne to channle 12

I did this with all denver channles, and the new #s took, however there position is still alonge side the other 900s.

but now when I click wb channle 2 it goes to that channle, and works

when it was a 900 it would not go to the channle but gave me an error.

so far I have not found if you can set a favorite channle list, anyone know if we can?

Later Bruce
post #196 of 881 Old 07-29-2006, 10:11 AM

Bruce,

First of all, thanks for all your posts on the Panny EH55. I just got my EH55 and your posts among others have been very helpful. It's been three days now and my program guide and listings is still in progress? lt shows the clock is set but all other items are still in progress. When I try to watch TV, it changes the channel every minute and a half or so. I think it's suppose to do that during downloading is that correct? I now think it is always going to do that all the time, unless I have the Panny on. Do you know if that is correct? Do you know if I have to leave the Directv receiver on and the Panny and my TV off for a continuous 24 hours without interruption for it to finish? I thought it could be done in the back ground as long as the receiver is on and the Panny is off? I am asking you these questions because every time I call Panasonic I get different info.

Thanks again. So far I am very happy with the unit except the long downloading time.

Don
post #197 of 881 Old 07-29-2006, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

The Panasonic will try to download the TVGOS EPG data whenever the recorder is off (in standby). In order to download the EPG, you have to leave the DirecTV receiver ON and the Panasonic OFF.

If you want to watch TV without the Panasonic trying to download the EPG (and changing the channels), you have to leave the Panasonic ON. That will prevent the EPG from trying to download.

RG
post #198 of 881 Old 07-29-2006, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlmruk View Post

Bruce,

First of all, thanks for all your posts on the Panny EH55. I just got my EH55 and your posts among others have been very helpful. It's been three days now and my program guide and listings is still in progress? lt shows the clock is set but all other items are still in progress. When I try to watch TV, it changes the channel every minute and a half or so. I think it's suppose to do that during downloading is that correct? I now think it is always going to do that all the time, unless I have the Panny on. Do you know if that is correct? Do you know if I have to leave the Directv receiver on and the Panny and my TV off for a continuous 24 hours without interruption for it to finish? I thought it could be done in the back ground as long as the receiver is on and the Panny is off? I am asking you these questions because every time I call Panasonic I get different info.

Thanks again. So far I am very happy with the unit except the long downloading time.

Don

Don it is best to leave the eh55 off for 24 hours with no interuptions, in my case I did interupt it I had to look and see, well It took 5 days for me to get the guide, I think that every time I looked it stoped and started all over again, so do leave eh55 off the full 24 hours and direct tv on.

and yes changing channles shows it is working, is in the progress of downloading info channle by channle.

I wound up hooking up an extra dvd player direct to tv and cathing up on my movies while waiting for the 24 hours.

Later Bruce
post #199 of 881 Old 07-29-2006, 02:29 PM

Quote:

Thanks Bruce...

Harry

I just found out that when calling panasonic for tech support with the TV guide feature we can request TV Guide Tech support and get help directly from TV Guide people, and they know this stuff,

Panisonic techs will try to get you to call panisonic help line 3 or 4 times before they tell you this, my friend said no way I been struggeling with this guide for days already get me there now or I take this unit back for a refund as soon as I hang up, and I will get a toshiba!

They put him right thru to TV Guide People, his reciever was on there list but not on the list posted in this thread, they helped him get it up and running.

Later Bruce
post #200 of 881 Old 07-29-2006, 05:57 PM

Thanks for the info. I found out my current D*tv receiver was not on the list . Luckily I had another RCA receiver in my motorhome (DRD435RH) and that was on the list. I've reset the start up the clock starts over. I'm was little concerned because the green light is not flashing like the other one was, so I peeked and it had changed the channel to the TVG channel already, so I'll wait.

Thanks again.

Don
post #201 of 881 Old 07-29-2006, 08:26 PM

For All:

I been doing some timed recordings for series I want to collect, Problem when editing out the commercials, there is always a frame at the start that showed the channle change

when eh55 tells direct reciever to change channles the submenu of direct tv pops up for 8 seconds, can get rid of all but the first frame, and I did not want it.

So I have been doing 2 things to resolve this:

1. set timer to start 1 min ahead of program, this way the submenu is gone by the time the program starts.

2. After using shorten program to remove unwanted material, I then use Divide Program, right after that first frame or two passes I click divide, then I go back to root menu of hard drive and delete the small program that was created by dividing, you can look in the status box and make sure you are deleting the unwanted frames, and not the program.

This works pretty Good, can also do it at the end of a show to get rid of a few unwanted frames!

Just Though I should share this, Later Bruce
post #202 of 881 Old 07-30-2006, 01:16 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
I realize this is a TVGOS thread, and Bushman4 notwithstanding, at least one reader, me, ordered an EH55 for its Recording and Transport (via dvd-ram) capability, not for its superb TVGOS.

My question is: How do I manually enter a scheduled recording. Most recording will be from live input, but I expect there may be times I'll want to record from a satellite receiver. On post #98, Steve1214 reported that he entered some manual recordings. How did you do it? On manual page 29, step 1, press "Schedule", step 2 press "Sub Menu".

When I press "Schedule", I get the Curse (Is that how you pronouce TVGOS?), and "Sub Menu" goes nowhere.

Thanks for any enlightenment.

Richard
post #203 of 881 Old 07-30-2006, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

You have to go through the TVGOS setup before you can do manual timer recordings. If you don't want to use TVGOS, disable it by performing the automatic channel scanning. That will disable the TVGOS and allow manual timer recordings. It's in the manual.

RG
post #204 of 881 Old 07-30-2006, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardT View Post

I realize this is a TVGOS thread, and Bushman4 notwithstanding, at least one reader, me, ordered an EH55 for its Recording and Transport (via dvd-ram) capability, not for its superb TVGOS.

My question is: How do I manually enter a scheduled recording. Most recording will be from live input, but I expect there may be times I'll want to record from a satellite receiver. On post #98, Steve1214 reported that he entered some manual recordings. How did you do it? On manual page 29, step 1, press "Schedule", step 2 press "Sub Menu".

When I press "Schedule", I get the Curse (Is that how you pronouce TVGOS?), and "Sub Menu" goes nowhere.

Thanks for any enlightenment.

Richard

I was doing manul recording before I set up the guide, and I been doing manule recording after setting up the guide YOU DO NOT HAVE TO DISABLE IT (the program guide.)However On The First Power Up The Unit Took Me Thru Some Type Of Setup Where I did Enter My Zip Code, This Is Very Important, In Order to do Manual Recordings, If You Havent Entered Your Zip, The TO Do Will not Show Up In The Scheadual Timers Area!
On your remote press the scheadual button

then highlight the words TO DO which are at the center of the menu screen just above the scheadualed recordings box.

after it is highlighted press submenu on your remote, and on the left a menu comes up

then highlight and press new manual recording and then you can enter all info manually!

I bought this cause I wanted a hard drive, then I get all these extras WoW I am Happy! Later Bruce
post #205 of 881 Old 07-30-2006, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I love TVGOS, I have it on my Sony DVD recorder and Sony DVR. I'm thinking of replacing the Sony DVD recorder with this one. I hate the Sony editing interface, takes me 3 times longer to edit out commercials than my old Panny E80.
I assume the pic quality on this Panny is as good or better than the Sony PQ?
The Sony PQ is superb. Sony RDR-HX900.
post #206 of 881 Old 07-30-2006, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigaguy View Post

I love TVGOS, I have it on my Sony DVD recorder and Sony DVR. I'm thinking of replacing the Sony DVD recorder with this one. I hate the Sony editing interface, takes me 3 times longer to edit out commercials than my old Panny E80.
I assume the pic quality on this Panny is as good or better than the Sony PQ?
The Sony PQ is superb. Sony RDR-HX900.

I dont know about the sony unit, but some hipe on the eh55 boasts that the lp (4hr mode) is twice as good as lp mode of previous panasonic dvd recorders, I think it is because they put a line doubler in it.

and the lp mode is definatly much better than on my dmr-e55, I have a 50" lcd projecter and lp mode looks good in playback.

Hope this helps
post #207 of 881 Old 07-31-2006, 04:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I was doing manul recording before I set up the guide, and I been doing manule recording after setting up the guide YOU DO NOT HAVE TO DISABLE IT (the program guide.)

Sorry, but I was just paraphrasing what is in the EH-55 manual:

"The TV Guide On ScreenTM system must be set up whether
it is then used or not. You cannot use the scheduled
recording feature unless this setup is completed."

But I guess you know better...

RG
post #208 of 881 Old 07-31-2006, 04:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I dont know about the sony unit, but some hipe on the eh55 boasts that the lp (4hr mode) is twice as good as lp mode of previous panasonic dvd recorders, I think it is because they put a line doubler in it.

No, the reason is that the resolution in LP mode (4-hr mode) is the same as in SP mode, unlike other recorders (including the 2004 and earlier Panasonics), where the resolution drops after about 2.5-3 hours. For more info click here.

RG
post #209 of 881 Old 07-31-2006, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Thanks, I knew LP is good, but it has been on the most recent Pannys. LP on the Sony is good too, but the editing interface is poorer. My Panny E80 had like 5 or 6 playback speeds that made cueing up for an edit easy and fast. On the Sony it only has 3 speeds, 1 is very slow, 2 is faster, and 3 is lightning fast. takes a lot longer to cue up. And then evertime you finish an edit, it asks you if you want to do another edit. It's tedious. I miss the Panny, this E55 looks like the machine for me.
The Sony pluses were the hard drive, TVGOS, picture quality, and Component IN. The Panny E55 has most of this and a bigger hard drive.
post #210 of 881 Old 07-31-2006, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgazzara View Post

Sorry, but I was just paraphrasing what is in the EH-55 manual:

"The TV Guide On ScreenTM system must be set up whether
it is then used or not. You cannot use the scheduled
recording feature unless this setup is completed."

But I guess you know better...

we found a mistake in the manual, Not the first time a manual has been wrong!

because I definatly was using the manual recordings before I had the guid set up, I had recorded a dozen shows before I got my guide up and running.

I also have used the manual recording since the guide is up and running, with out disabling it. By doing the following......

On your remote press the scheadual button

then highlight the words TO DO which are at the center of the menu screen just above the scheadualed recordings box.

after it is highlighted press submenu on your remote, and on the left a menu comes up

then highlight and press new manual recording and then you can enter all info manually!

I have found the by scrolling around the menu and highlighting various things then pressing submenu you can find all kinds of controlls.

I hope this info helps all Later Bruce
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page