Problems with Digital Video Stabilizer - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 138 Old 12-26-2007, 07:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi. I am hoping someone on here can help me. I am looking for a stablilizer that will allow me to record protected cable (HBO, PPV etc.).

I am looking to record only bits and pieces of various shows from my cable company DVR to either VHS or DVDRW. Then transfer the video to a DVDR disc for permanent storage. (I mostly use VHS to DVD right now, until I have transferred all old tapes, then I plan to cease usage of VHS) I am not looking to copy commercial dvds etc, just TV. The set up I am using is DVR to vcr/dvd combo (when I record to VHS), then to standalone DVD recorder when I make the DVDR disc. When I send it to DVDRW I skip the combo unit.

From researching this site, I have narrowed down my selection to 3 choices. I would like to know users opinions on which device would allow me to copy the cable and give me the best picture.

The 3 I am looking at are in the following post.

I am leaning towards the Grex, but the video filter ability to allow me to set the protected hbo to copy always appeals to me also. Also, how soft is the grexs picture? Is it very noticable. I have an old CRT tv right now, but will be upgrading to HD shortly.

What do you guys think, which device is the best for what I want to do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 138 Old 12-26-2007, 07:20 AM

Here are the 3 stablilizers I am considering

xdimax.com/grex/grex.htm

home.cfl.rr.com/filter/

world-import.com/dp-5000_copy_enhancer_video_stabilizer.htm

Which one will give me the best picture and allow me to copy the tv stations? When i upgrade to HD, will that make a difference? I know I cant copy HD, but i plan to get an upconverting recorder and then continue to make the dvds I am making.

Thanks in advance
post #93 of 138 Old 12-26-2007, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberfly502 View Post

Here are the 3 stablilizers I am considering

xdimax.com/grex/grex.htm

home.cfl.rr.com/filter/

world-import.com/dp-5000_copy_enhancer_video_stabilizer.htm

Which one will give me the best picture and allow me to copy the tv stations? When i upgrade to HD, will that make a difference? I know I cant copy HD, but i plan to get an upconverting recorder and then continue to make the dvds I am making.

Thanks in advance

I can't vouch for the copy protection handling, but I use the Video Filter primarily for inserting a widescreen flag in the s-video signal when recording anamorphic widescreen programs from my DirecTV HD TiVo to my Pioneer 520H DVD recorder.

The widescreen flag allows my widescreen recordings to be detected as such on playback in any DVD player. It makes no difference if playing back a widescreen program on a widescreen TV. But it makes a big difference when playing back a recorded widescreen program on a 4x3 TV since the widescreen flag enables the DVD player option of selecting letterboxing or full screen (a.k.a., pan and scan or zoom and crop) to work properly.

Without the widescreen flag, playback on a 4x3 TV results in tall and skinny people and there is no way to force it to letterbox on most TVs.

Dave
post #94 of 138 Old 12-29-2007, 04:50 PM

Quote:

Hi. I am hoping someone on here can help me. I am looking for a stablilizer that will allow me to record protected cable (HBO, PPV etc.).

I am looking to record only bits and pieces of various shows from my cable company DVR to either VHS or DVDRW. Then transfer the video to a DVDR disc for permanent storage. (I mostly use VHS to DVD right now, until I have transferred all old tapes, then I plan to cease usage of VHS) I am not looking to copy commercial dvds etc, just TV. The set up I am using is DVR to vcr/dvd combo (when I record to VHS), then to standalone DVD recorder when I make the DVDR disc. When I send it to DVDRW I skip the combo unit.

From researching this site, I have narrowed down my selection to 3 choices. I would like to know users opinions on which device would allow me to copy the cable and give me the best picture.

The 3 I am looking at are in the following post.

I am leaning towards the Grex, but the video filter ability to allow me to set the protected hbo to copy always appeals to me also. Also, how soft is the grexs picture? Is it very noticable. I have an old CRT tv right now, but will be upgrading to HD shortly.

What do you guys think, which device is the best for what I want to do?

I don't find the picture that soft from the Grex, however, I do have a dp-5000 on order and will let you know when I try it out.
post #95 of 138 Old 01-04-2008, 07:46 PM

All,
Good discussion. I recently bought a VS-100 from Qualitek (read on other forum they were a good brand). Got it in and connected it between my VCR and my computer video card (ATI All-in-wonder 9600). I got good audio but the video would stick on one frame and not advance. Same as it did before the video stabilzer. What's the deal? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Devin
post #96 of 138 Old 01-04-2008, 07:47 PM

BTW, here's the product site qualitekindustries.com. It the $45 Gen III.
post #97 of 138 Old 01-06-2008, 02:36 PM

Thank you for the responses so far. If anybody else can help, I would appreciate it.

I have not bought anything yet, but I am thinking about getting the video filter and the DP-5000 (as a back-up).

KarenLynx, let me know if there is any picture difference from the Grex.

Thank you, and again any other responses would be appreciated.
post #98 of 138 Old 01-06-2008, 11:29 PM

Hello, I have a question regarding the GREX unit. I read on one the many forums about video stabilizers that the GREX works great, but gives a "softer" quality to the picture than the SIMA CT 2 or CT 200. I have the CT 2 and the CT 200, and they have copied over 500 or more VHS tapes (commercial and home made) and DVDs to my three different Sony recorders with no problems whatsoever. Has any one else experienced this "softer" picture image that the GREX unit is purported to cause? Thanks for any feedback.
post #99 of 138 Old 01-07-2008, 03:59 PM

First off, I am a newbie here and just want to say hi to all!! Second I am new to this video stabilizer thing. I didn't realize that tapes had this on them and that it would be picked up by my DVD recorder (Philips DVDR3575H). I tried recording some of our Disney vhs tapes to DVD and it was a no go. After reading over this section I now know that I need a video stabilizer and I am in search for a good one. I hear good things here about the Grex stabilizer, and I have heard good thing about Sima new one. I see that there is little price difference in them Grex being a little cheaper. If I was to buy one of these which would you folks suggest. It seems like the Grex will get the job done, so I would I spend the little extra for a Sima product? Any help in this would be great and thank you in advance!!
post #100 of 138 Old 01-08-2008, 09:34 AM

Quote:

Thank you for the responses so far. If anybody else can help, I would appreciate it.

I have not bought anything yet, but I am thinking about getting the video filter and the DP-5000 (as a back-up).

KarenLynx, let me know if there is any picture difference from the Grex.

Thank you, and again any other responses would be appreciated.

Well, I received the DP-5000, so far I have only used it to record from cable TV. I have used the Grex to record from VHS, DVD & cable TV. The main difference I've noticed so far is the DP-5000 recorded from cable TV with total ease (I had to change modes on my Grex). I have not noticed any difference in picture quality but maybe my eye is not as fine tuned as some. Still comparing though. I'm glad that I have both as I can always use one as a back-up. I just bought my daughter the Phillips DVD/HD recorder for Christmas, she will take it back to college with her. I will probably give her my old Grex (multiple modes) and purchase the newer Grex that doesn't require mode changes.
post #101 of 138 Old 01-08-2008, 11:50 AM

Update to the DP-5000, Grex question. Apparently there are multiple DP-5000's. See this site: www.220-electronics.com/dvd/copyenhancer.htm, this is not the same as the one at this site: http://www.world-import.com/dp-5000_...stabilizer.htm. I have the one from the world-import site and maybe that's why i don't see a difference. It appears that you can make adjustments on the former product and maybe that accounts for the better picture quality.
post #102 of 138 Old 01-08-2008, 01:45 PM

Thank you for your response, karenlynx. I looked up the DP-5000 on both sites. I know the 220 electronics one says there are fakes but I know every person I have seen on this site who says to get the DP-5000 sends a link to the world-import site.

Apparantly, from what you and others have said, the difference apparantly is really slight, and may not be noticed by me.

I would be curious if anybody has gotten the DP-5000 from either 220 or world-import and could tell me if there is a difference.
post #103 of 138 Old 01-12-2008, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrared View Post

Hello, I have a question regarding the GREX unit. I read on one the many forums about video stabilizers that the GREX works great, but gives a "softer" quality to the picture than the SIMA CT 2 or CT 200. I have the CT 2 and the CT 200, and they have copied over 500 or more VHS tapes (commercial and home made) and DVDs to my three different Sony recorders with no problems whatsoever. Has any one else experienced this "softer" picture image that the GREX unit is purported to cause? Thanks for any feedback.

i have both a grex and sima ct-2. the ct-2 gives a sharper and brighter image than the grex. if i was just starting out id only get a grex as a last resort.

also check out firebird-systems.com
post #104 of 138 Old 01-12-2008, 07:11 PM

I am new to this and excuse me if this is a silly question. (I did read the forum and searched other forums but could not find the answer):

Using Grex/video filter or similar device, when you copy DVD to DVD can you retain the chapter selection, menu functions and extras? If so how does it work? You hit play on the player and record on the recorder simultaneously?

I already have a DVD player. I am planning on buying a Video stabilizer and a DVD recorder to copy my 5 year old's DVDs so we can have a copy in the car. Chapter function is useful to the kids....

Thank you
post #105 of 138 Old 01-12-2008, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samtos View Post

I am new to this and excuse me if this is a silly question. (I did read the forum and searched other forums but could not find the answer):

Using Grex/video filter or similar device, when you copy DVD to DVD can you retain the chapter selection, menu functions and extras? If so how does it work? You hit play on the player and record on the recorder simultaneously?

I already have a DVD player. I am planning on buying a Video stabilizer and a DVD recorder to copy my 5 year old's DVDs so we can have a copy in the car. Chapter function is useful to the kids....

Thank you

1st question-no, afaik.
post #106 of 138 Old 01-13-2008, 05:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 83
No, the only way to retain the Menu function of the original DVD would to copy using some kind of PC program. That would make a mirror copy.
As far as the chapters DVDR's will make there own chapters every 5 min, or some will let you set the interval, but it would always be the same. No resemblance to the original DVD. Now if you get a product like the Philips 3575 and record to it's HDD, you can create your own chapters, at the points you want. And then burn at HS lossless to it's dvd burner. The resulting DVD will have your chapter points intact. Note this will be little labor intensive to add the chapters to the HDD, but you will get basically what you want. Just a thought. The Philips runs around $300 at Walmart. Less refurbished on-line.
post #107 of 138 Old 01-14-2008, 01:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Or you could look for the similar Magnavox model, which is $100.00 cheaper, and still basically offers everything you would need.
post #108 of 138 Old 01-15-2008, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrared View Post

Hello, I would like to offer some people here another solution.
I have a Sima Color Corrector that I use, it`s the Sima CC2
unit. It does a better job at fixing the Color Stripe code
found on alot of video tapes.
I have alot of ADULT video tapes that I bought from
Adam and Eve over the years, and ALOT of these video tapes are
copies, NOT the original. That`s how they used to sell them.
UNFORTUNATLY, they are loaded with the Macrovision
Color stripe and some are unwatchable!
I use the CC2 to get rid of as MUCH of the color stripe
that I can. The Sima ct-200 does not do a good job with
VIDEO TAPES!
Also, the CC2 does NOT get rid of the color stripe
completely! It`s STILL THERE! I`m SO SICK of seeing
a PURPLE, YELLOW and sometimes ORANGE color stripe
at the top 2-4 inches of my tv screen!!!!!
Is there ANYTHING out there that will get rid of these
stripes for good?????
post #109 of 138 Old 01-15-2008, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm going to guess that if the tapes were copies, it is possible that the copies themselves contain the color stripe. In which case it will be almost impossible to correct. If you play the tapes directly to your TV, and they contain the stripes, I believe that's the case. My guess might also be, if the tapes were recorded in EP or SLP speed, they will never really look very good. especially years after they were made. SLP/EP never really was very consistent between players. They may have looked OK on the machine that they were recorded on, but other players may have a hard time playing them OK.
post #110 of 138 Old 01-17-2008, 04:07 PM

This message is to KarenLynx. I read on one of your posts that you state GREX has a newer model that does not require mode changes. I was just on the GREX website and did not see any model that was described as not having to change modes to work correctly in certain situations, so I was wondering what you were referring too? Any information is greatly appreciated. I was also curious if anyone knew if the DP-5000 and the ATX-500 were copies of the SIMA CT-2?
post #111 of 138 Old 01-18-2008, 08:36 AM

I read on another forum that there was a new Grex model, do I e-mailed them. Here is the series of e-mails:

support@xdimax wrote:
> > > Hi Karen,
> > > With the Grex you are going to get you will not need to switch modes.
> > > Best Regards. Dimax.
> > > http://www.xdimax.com
> > > ----- Original Message -----
> > > From:
> > > To: "support@xdimax"
> > > Sent: Saturday, December 15, 2007 3:10 PM
> > > Subject: Re: Grex

> > > Thanks, can you tell me about the latest upgrade. I am very happy with my
> > > current model, however I would like to record cable TV without having to
> > > change modes.
> > >
> > > Karen

>> > >> Hi Karen,
>> > >> You will get latest Grex 721
>> > >>
>> > >> Best Regards. Dimax.
>> > >> http://www.xdimax.com

>> > >> ----- Original Message -----
>> > >> From:
>> > >> To:
>> > >> Sent: Friday, December 14, 2007 11:02 PM
>> > >> Subject: Grex

>>> > >>> I placed an order for a model 651 Gex yesterday. i want to make sure
>>> > >>> that I get the 651 (already own an earlier one) so that I don't have to
>>> > >>> change modes. Please make sure that i get the new model.
>>> > >>>
>>> > >>> thanks,
post #112 of 138 Old 01-20-2008, 06:27 PM

All,
I saw another post on here referencing my same experience with the Qualitek VS-100 and Qualitek industries and am compelled to share my experience. That experience being one with equipment that doesn't work, overpriced shipping, a 25% restock fee, and no customer service. BUYER BEWARE! THIS PRODUCT IS A RIP OFF! Don't believe what you read. I read glowing recommendation on this product on three different forums.
post #113 of 138 Old 01-25-2008, 06:12 PM

KarenLynx, Have you used the DP-5000 for DVD to DVD? I would like to know if the picture quality is as good as the protected cable.

Thanks
post #114 of 138 Old 01-26-2008, 05:38 PM

are there any stabilizers with component input?, and how you can copy dvds on your compuer?
post #115 of 138 Old 01-26-2008, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

None that I know about. And I think PC people use special hacked software to duplicate copy protected DVD's. I personally use a Sima ct-2 to make backup copies of my DVD's, and use S-video cables for fine quality copies. Not mirror copies like PC guys get, but good enough for me especially with my Panny DVDR's.
post #116 of 138 Old 01-26-2008, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by k-mt View Post

are there any stabilizers with component input?, and how you can copy dvds on your compuer?

The Video Filter supports component video:

http://home.cfl.rr.com/filter/

For connections, the green component video cable goes through the video filter; the red and blue do not. I was told that the signal processing for component video is different than that for composite video. The Video Filter is designed to handle the component video.

I own one of these and I use it to insert a widescreen flag into recordings being made on my Pioneer 520H DVD recorder coming from my HR10-250 DirecTV HD TiVo. But my DVD recorder lacks component video input, so I use S-video instead.

Using this combination gives me DVD recordings that are "enhanced for widescreen" just like commercial widescreen DVDs. I set the HD TiVo for 480i output and connect the S-video through the Video Filter which inserts the widescreen flag that is recognized and recorded by my DVD recorder.

This effort would not be needed to playback the recorded DVDs only on 16x9 TVs. But playback on 4x3 TVs without the widescreen flag results in tall and skinny people because the widescreen (anamorphic) picture is squished horizontally to fit in and fill the 4x3 screen.

If a DVD player is set for a 4x3 TV and letterboxed output for widescreen content, the DVD player adds black bars above and below the widescreen picture so the proper proportions are maintained when viewing on the 4x3 TV, but only if the widescreen flag is detected when playing back the DVD.

I have tested the copy protection feature of the Video Filter for VHS tapes with Macrovision that I cannot find on commercial DVD. These have been mostly older tapes with children's movies. All copies worked fine.

I tested one or two copies from commercial DVDs and they worked fine. But, My sample size is very small so there may be some sources on DVD that may not copy.

Usually I make DVD backup copies on my computer because it preserves DD 5.1 audio and it does not need to convert to analog video and back, preserving the video quality also. I put the originals away and let the grandchildren use the backup copies.

Dave
post #117 of 138 Old 01-27-2008, 12:32 PM

how do copy dvds on your computer? what program do you use?, i don't have a tivo, is there any way i can preseve the widescreen flag from using use s- video from my cable box to a dvd recorder?
post #118 of 138 Old 01-27-2008, 10:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

how do copy dvds on your computer? what program do you use?, i don't have a tivo, is there any way i can preseve the widescreen flag from using use s- video from my cable box to a dvd recorder?

My computer is a Mac. I use MacTheRipper and Toast to make backup copies of DVDs.

IF your cable box can output anamorphic video for a widescreen source program (i.e., it fills a 4x3 window with tall and skinny folks because the video has been squished horizontally from the original 16x9 window to the more narrow 4x3 window), then you could substitute your cable box for my HD TiVo.

Your DVD recorder must be capable of recognizing and recording the widescreen flag (like the Pioneer models do), or, be capable of force-setting the widescreen flag while recording (like some Sony and Toshiba models do).

For my Pioneer DVD recorder, the Video Filter was needed to insert the widescreen flag while recording because the DVD recorder has no means to do so. With a Sony or Toshiba that can force-set the widescreen flag, there would be no need for the external Video Filter.

Hope this helps.

Dave
post #119 of 138 Old 01-29-2008, 01:36 PM

Quote:

KarenLynx, Have you used the DP-5000 for DVD to DVD? I would like to know if the picture quality is as good as the protected cable.

Thanks

So far I have only used it for DVD or cable to Archos 705 DVR. I get DVD quality playback on the Archos unit. I don't have much need for DVD to DVD as I'm trying to go lighter (converting only to DIVX or XDIV and storing on my Archos or external back-up drive).
post #120 of 138 Old 01-29-2008, 01:38 PM

Quote:

Grex shows a connection using component video on this site: http://www.xdimax.com/grex/grex.html
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page