Problems with Digital Video Stabilizer - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 138 Old 10-18-2008, 05:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I personally do not understand why do you people use Video Stabilizers like Grex on component video. I know no DVD recorder capable to accept video via component input. Can someone tell me where component video can be used except of connecting it directly to TV or receiver?

And did anybody here used combo connection with Grex for Sony RDR-VX555?
Code:
www.xdimax.com/grex_faq/faq_combomore.html#rdr_vx555
Sorry I can't post links
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 138 Old 10-18-2008, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Just a few older DVDRs used component. No modern ones do. S-video is about as good as we get now.
post #123 of 138 Old 11-08-2008, 01:31 PM

New member with question... I have DirecTV and a Panasonic 75 DVR. Until last week, I was able to record TV shows from the DirecTV signal to the Panasonic. DirecTV has recently started a copyright protection block so I can't record any TV shows to my Panasonic (so I can save them on DVDs). Will one of the stabilizers discussed in this thread overcome this copyright block from DirecTV? If so, which one gives the best quality at the present time (Nov 2008). Thank you for your advice.
post #124 of 138 Old 11-08-2008, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Here's a thread that talks about a couple different filters. From it I would gather the Video Filter might be the best, but a tad bit expensive. The DP7000 sounds pretty good and the Grex sounds like it loses the most in resolution. I have a old Sima CT-2 and am very happy with it but it's no longer made.
Any of these filters should do the trick for you. I'm curious are you able to save them to your Pannys HDD, IOW does it have the copy once flag or is it the no copy flag?
Either way they must have updated the firmware of your box. Did you have your box worked on or did they do this over the air? By air I mean satellite.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1008164
post #125 of 138 Old 11-08-2008, 02:37 PM

Thank you for your response, jjeff. I appreciate your reccomendation, and agree that the Video Filter does look good, but expensive at $154 + S&H, total $169. To answer your question, DirecTV is blocking the signal in select test markets (I guess I'm just lucky that way). I think they updated my DirecTV receiver by satellite signal, as it was working fine before last week. I called DirecTV and they were very rude to me. Before I switch to DISH Network (whose sales rep says they have no plans to do this, for what that's worth), I thought I'd try to find a work-around. Back to your question, I can record to the hard drive of my DirecTV receiver. When I try to record to my Panasonic 75 DVR's hard drive, either scheduled manual recording or just pushing the record button to record the signal coming thru the satellite receiver, I get a copyright warning that pops up on the screen and says no recording is allowed.
post #126 of 138 Old 11-08-2008, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

That doesn't bode well for other Dish/Sat. customers then
Another nail in the coffin for DVDR sales.
I guess filter companies will be happy though unless there's a crackdown on the way.
My Sima was ~$100 a few years back so to me anyway $169 might be doable especially when you consider it will allow you to back up your commercial DVDs, if that interests you. Of course no one likes unplanned expenses.
post #127 of 138 Old 11-08-2008, 11:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
No problems recording Dish SD from their 322 dual-tuner receiver to my Panny EH75V - yet (knock on wood).
post #128 of 138 Old 11-09-2008, 01:44 PM

I'm glad Dish Network is still working okay. It would be an incredible hassle to switch from DirecTV to Dish Network, but we may have to. You don't need it for your satellite signal, but I'm wondering if you have a stabilizer, and what kind you chose? I guess I'm going to have to get one. Several people on this thread have recommended the DP-X7000 or the Video Filter. There is about a $30 - 40 difference in cost with S&H. Both are pretty expensive; as jjeff said, "no one likes unplanned expenses." But then, no one likes their Panasonic 75 DVR sitting there gathering dust, when it could be archiving TV shows onto DVD to watch at another time...
post #129 of 138 Old 11-09-2008, 02:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
I have the Sima ct-200, which is no longer made. Never had to use it for that purpose, though. But others here say it works just fine. So do the two you mentioned.

The Video Filter is probably the better of the two, if you don't mind paying more. But either one will suffice if you're just recording standard definition TV.

Thing is, once you have it, you have it. So if you ever switch providers, you shouldn't have to worry. Plus, if they ever completely crack down on them like jjeff said, you'll have it.

It's also good for copying pre-recorded DVD's or putting VHS tapes on DVD.

(As far as Dish not CP'ing, someone in another thread said that they called them, and they were told they don't have any plans on doing that. Now, I don't know how reliable that is, because different CSR's from Dish always tend to tell you different things, but at least it's not there now.)
post #130 of 138 Old 11-11-2008, 06:55 AM

Thank you for your response, Rammitinski. I am very appreciative of the comments that you and jjeff made. This morning (Tuesday, 11 Nov) I ordered the Video Filter -- $169. When it arrives, I will test it and post results here on this thread. In the meantime, I'll watch the threads to see if anyone else has DirecTV copyright protected in their area, and what they do. This is really an interesting forum. I've spent several evenings now, reading various threads, and I'm learning a lot. Thanks to all!
post #131 of 138 Old 12-21-2008, 05:55 PM

I just got a Sima CT-2, disney movies copied great, but will only play back on the machine that it was recorded on. I am new to this. Can anybody advise. Thanks
post #132 of 138 Old 12-21-2008, 05:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny0126 View Post

I just got a Sima CT-2, disney movies copied great, but will only play back on the machine that it was recorded on. I am new to this. Can anybody advise. Thanks

Finalize the discs thru the Disc Edit or Disc Setup menu (location and procedure depends on which DVDR you have)... look for "Finalize" in your manual.
post #133 of 138 Old 12-21-2008, 07:20 PM

That did it. I thought it was finalizing when it said closing the chapter. Thanks so much. appy Holidays.
post #134 of 138 Old 12-28-2008, 06:40 PM

I have Dish Network and am currently having same problems with copy protection. I've been trying to record to my DVDR from my Dish Network DVR and shows cut out. I've decided to try one of the filters as well.
post #135 of 138 Old 04-06-2010, 07:15 AM

I wish I had read this sooner. I ordered a power inverter for the car. I was defective and the process to return the product and get refunded has now been going on three months and still not finished. Qualitek is the worst company I have ever dealt with. I would recommend that everone stay away!!!!!!!!!!!! Simply put, THEY SUCK!
post #136 of 138 Old 04-06-2010, 07:21 AM

Qualitek is the worst company thta I have ever dealt with. I ordered a power inverter that turned out to be defective. 3 months later I am still dealing with getting my money back. Simply put, THEY SUCK!!!!!! No one ever answers the phone when you call. No one ever returns any messages you leave. Most of the time you can't ever leave a message because the machine is full and can not accept anymore. It is probably becasue others are in the same situation! STAY AWAY FROM QUALITEK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qualitek View Post

I thought I'd set up a profile on here long enough to warn you folks about doing business with Qualitek Industries.

Via their webpage, I purchased their: Digital Video Stabilizer For DVD and VCR with Video Clarifier and Corrector for $34.95 thinking I was getting a good deal.

Well, let me tell you, it ain't so good!
First of all, these guys overcharge for shipping bigtime!!!
They charged me $20.86 for UPS ground (for a tiny box).
So I paid a total of $55.81 for a product that doesn't work. At least it won't work for me. This unit is about the size of your fist. It lights up, but only removes the copyguard in the Black and White mode (not in color). So their claim that It will guarantee to get rip off all copy guard is true if you are satisfied with B/W.

I'm waiting to hear back from them to get a return authorization number and now I see they are going to charge me a 25% restocking fee! This really blows!

So I'm not only stuck with the cost of mailing it back: $5.95
The original shipping charge they billed me already: $20.86
But a bogus restocking fee of: $8.74
For a grand total of $35.55 (that is if I can even return it; I've yet to hear back from them at all)

SO BUYERS BEWARE OF Qualitek Industries! I GOT RIPPED OFF!

post #137 of 138 Old 10-01-2010, 08:11 AM

I have the Facetvideo Clarifier, and have had it forever, (to be safe I bought two) one does not work at all anymore, where the picture does not come in at all, and the other is now making the video come in sligthly darker than the original, can this be fixed, why would this happen now? I record to a Panasonic DMR with hard drive and have not always had this problem. It happens with old movies and newer ones.
post #138 of 138 Old 02-27-2011, 09:55 PM

I purchased one of the units to dub over my collection of VSH tapes. This unit by itself stopped some of the macros but would cause the video to hang, not the audio. I then attached a TBC along with the unit, this corrected that problem. Here is the down side even further, the video would discolor or posterize the video later into the movie. I would not recommend this item to anyone trying to dub movies, they may be disappointed when they re-watch the video at a later date.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page