Problems with Digital Video Stabilizer - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 138 Old 07-27-2006, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was trying to transfer some old vhs tapes that I bought to dvd. I read on a site that it works for transfering vhs to dvd.

The guy I bought it from claims it doesn't,and wants me to buy the next generation of the stabilizer now.

Does anyone have this stabilizer,and If so does it work for copying vhs to dvd?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 138 Old 07-27-2006, 01:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imthegame19 View Post

I was trying to transfer some old vhs tapes that I bought to dvd. I read on a site that it works for transfering vhs to dvd.

The guy I bought it from claims it doesn't, and wants me to buy the next generation of the stabilizer now.

Does anyone have this stabilizer,and If so does it work for copying vhs to dvd?

If you are talking about this Stabilizer:
http://direct.stores.yahoo.net/dvdvidstab.html

Then, yes it does work for VHS to DVD, and I have also used it for DVD to DVD (despite doing most DVD duplicating in my PC) and it works for that as well. I believe it's the RX-2.

There are other units though like these:

Clarifier Classic:
http://www.facetvideo.com/xcart/cust...3&cat=0&page=1

DVD Red Pro:
http://www.dimax.com.ua/dvd/dvdredpro.shtml

Grex:
http://www.dimax.com.ua/grex/grex.shtml

Video Magic/DVD:
http://www.stardevelopment.com/index.htm

Or this page which seems to be selling something for either DVD, VHS or DVD & VHS (even though they all look the same)

http://www.qualitekindustries.com/noname.html

Never Underestimate The Power Of Forums.
post #3 of 138 Old 07-27-2006, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

Yes I have the Rx-2, is there any reason why Im getting that can't record errorr???
post #4 of 138 Old 07-27-2006, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Can you give us the make and model numbers for each of your components (DVD recorder, VCR, television, anything else)? There is no way to tell without this information.

And the exact wording of the error and where you are seeing it?

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #5 of 138 Old 07-27-2006, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

I have a Sony tv, a older Phillips/Magnovax VCR and a Magnovax MWR10D6 DVD recorder.

Do you guys think theres something wrong with my Stabilizer?? I bought it from someone on ebay, he claims it's new,but it didn't come in the plastic,and didn't have video cables with it.

I have a friend who just got one as well,from a site and his works fine.
post #6 of 138 Old 07-27-2006, 02:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Do you guys think theres something wrong with my Stabilizer?? I bought it from someone on ebay, he claims it's new,but it didn't come in the plastic,and didn't have video cables with it.

A lightbulb just lit-up over my head

Quote:

I have a friend who just got one as well,from a site and his works fine.

Get the one from your friend...if he will let you borrow it...and try it on your system. If it works, problem solved...if not, then we will go from there.

post #7 of 138 Old 07-27-2006, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

Have you guys ever heard of this device not transfering vhs to dvd before?
post #8 of 138 Old 07-27-2006, 03:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I have heard of some people having DVD-to-DVD trouble with it (even though I haven't) but I have never heard of a VHS-to-DVD problem.

post #9 of 138 Old 07-27-2006, 06:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

It has never failed to work for me.
Idea: have you tried replacing the battery?

In space, no one can eat ice cream - Killer Klowns From Outer Space
post #10 of 138 Old 07-27-2006, 06:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

The guy I bought it from claims it doesn't,and wants me to buy the next generation of the stabilizer now.

I am confused....if "the guy" says it doesn't work for copying tapes, what does he say it's good for?

In space, no one can eat ice cream - Killer Klowns From Outer Space
post #11 of 138 Old 07-27-2006, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

This may seem like a dumb question but is your RX-2 Plugged in or have a "NEW" battery in it?

I know I went crazy over the phone trying to figure out what was wrong with my daughter's because sometimes it would work & sometimes it would'nt & it turned out that she had plugged her's into her Receiver & the plug she just happened to use was a "Switched Plug" so when her Receiver was "OFF" so was her Stabilizer

So check to make sure it's getting Power & then check to make sure you all the Cables are working correctly.
post #12 of 138 Old 07-27-2006, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter

The guy I bought it from off ebay, claims it only works for transfering vhs to vhs. I never asked cuz it looks exact to the rx-2.

So I don't know what the difference is, and way those work and his doesn't. The guy claims its brand new,even though it didn't come in plastic or have a video cord with it.

I got a plug and plugged it in, I tried everything.

I honestly think there's something wrong with this stabilzer, he said he will refund me if I send it back.

Any suggestions on a good cheap stabilizer?
post #13 of 138 Old 07-28-2006, 12:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Any suggestions on a good cheap stabilizer?

You won't find one too cheap, but check my reply to your original post "#2" for links to other stabilizers.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post8088758

post #14 of 138 Old 08-01-2006, 08:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
The GREX looks good, any word on it ?
post #15 of 138 Old 09-16-2006, 10:59 AM

Just thought I would let everyone know I ordered a Grex from the distributor in Israel. it took exactly 10 days to arrive in the US and worked EXACTLY as they say on their web site. I gave a Comcast Motorola DVR and a Sony RDR-GX315 DVD Recorder, and with the Grex in between, I can record ANY content from my DVR or Cable. It comes with AC adapter and has S-Video and RCA connections. I would recommend it if anyone has the need.
post #16 of 138 Old 11-26-2006, 09:26 AM

I ordered one for use with my Panny ES25, will let you know.
post #17 of 138 Old 11-27-2006, 06:52 PM

The Grex works flawlessly using component input to my Polaroid DRM 2001-G.

Shannon
post #18 of 138 Old 11-28-2006, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rontek View Post

Just thought I would let everyone know I ordered a Grex from the distributor in Israel. it took exactly 10 days to arrive in the US and worked EXACTLY as they say on their web site. I gave a Comcast Motorola DVR and a Sony RDR-GX315 DVD Recorder, and with the Grex in between, I can record ANY content from my DVR or Cable. It comes with AC adapter and has S-Video and RCA connections. I would recommend it if anyone has the need.

Good news, my cable company does not yet protect movies , except VOD, and PPV; but I am planing ahead.
post #19 of 138 Old 11-30-2006, 01:53 AM

Any opinions on the Video Magic/DVD ? (Star Development Co.)

says it is not for use with Liteon (wonder why?)
post #20 of 138 Old 11-30-2006, 04:00 AM

Any difference Sima CT-2 and CT-200?
post #21 of 138 Old 12-01-2006, 08:59 AM

buy now many sites are downand the place I got my CT-200 went up in price $10 in 3 days
post #22 of 138 Old 12-06-2006, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCRomeo View Post

I ordered one for use with my Panny ES25, will let you know.

They sent a CT-200 which works great both with S-Video and RCA.
post #23 of 138 Old 12-06-2006, 11:44 AM

I purchased one of these from Best Buy on Sunday. Also purchased by first DVD recorder (Zenith) so could transfer old VHS movies to DVD.
First thing I tried to transfer, home vacation movies we made ourselves placed on VHS tape...old, added to etc. Dubbed for about 20 minutes to DVD and then said copyright protected-MY home videos! Dragged another VCR player from the bedroom, set up the Sima CT-200 between the VCR players---same thing!?! Then got out a Disney VHS purchased for the grandchildren to save to DVD media for best keeping, expected the "copy once" choice using a DVD-RW. NO! Sima made no difference. (And yes, although I am new to all this, I did have the Sima set up properly between the two players.)
I don't know if the new players are over sensitive to this copyright protection or just this Zenith.....but am returning the Zenith today and the Sima as well~!
post #24 of 138 Old 12-06-2006, 02:02 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
The SIMA doesn't know a thing about "Copy Once". In order to do this, you need to be able to send the "Copy Once" command yourself. This can be done but not with any SIMA product.
post #25 of 138 Old 12-07-2006, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.G. View Post

I purchased one of these from Best Buy on Sunday. Also purchased by first DVD recorder (Zenith) so could transfer old VHS movies to DVD.
First thing I tried to transfer, home vacation movies we made ourselves placed on VHS tape...old, added to etc. Dubbed for about 20 minutes to DVD and then said copyright protected-MY home videos! Dragged another VCR player from the bedroom, set up the Sima CT-200 between the VCR players---same thing!?! Then got out a Disney VHS purchased for the grandchildren to save to DVD media for best keeping, expected the "copy once" choice using a DVD-RW. NO! Sima made no difference. (And yes, although I am new to all this, I did have the Sima set up properly between the two players.)
I don't know if the new players are over sensitive to this copyright protection or just this Zenith.....but am returning the Zenith today and the Sima as well~!

Does the Zenith record anything? such as TV?
Does the Sima work on Tapes not protected the MODE SELECT WORK? is using RCA Video cables (yellow) Is INPUT SELECT green?
I have never had a problem with VHS tapes, could the Sima be bad? I have never seen the words "copy once" on my Panasonic E15 and Sima CT-200.
post #26 of 138 Old 12-07-2006, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.G. View Post

Almost all of the DVD recorders have copy protection built in but some are better at it than others. None of them should keep you from copying home videos. However, if you had previously used the home video tape to copy protected material, the DVD recorder may be picking that up. I would check the point on the tape where you received the copy protection message. As far as the SIMA being bad, it may not be able to deal with the particular type of protection involved or it may not work with your DVD recorder.
post #27 of 138 Old 12-07-2006, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Logic Design is trying to be coy regarding self promotion. He makes a device that can be used to control the bits associated with copy once, the serial copy management system, or copy generation management system (or something like that). He unwisely in my opinion, named his product "The Video Filter" so if you are talking about a generic video filter, you are not necessarily talking about his Video Filter. See the confusion?

If you are having problems with copy once messages and prohibitions, his product is the only thing I am aware of that can control this.

No, I have nothing to do with him or his product. I don't even own one.

As has been said, this copy once should not occur with your home made videos. Its coming up under the circumstances you describe is fishy. Something is not working right.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #28 of 138 Old 12-08-2006, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post

If you are having problems with copy once messages and prohibitions, his product is the only thing I am aware of that can control this.

From their web site: "Grex removes all kinds of video protections including Macrovision Level I, Macrovision Level II ( Color stripe x 2 ), Macrovision Level III ( Color stripe x 4 ), CGMS, CGMS-A, Digital Broadcasting Flags. This way Grex opens you so called Analogue Protection Hole and let you copy and transfer any protected video content."

As it is done automatically, you technically can't control it..... but, the results are the same. I haven't found anything yet that my Grex wouldn't allow me to copy. I don't have any affiliation with them. Just a satisfied customer.
post #29 of 138 Old 12-08-2006, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Cool, now I know of two devices that will work. Thanks.

Luke

post #30 of 138 Old 12-09-2006, 08:11 AM

I have ordered a Grex when I get it, I will test and post results. I will compare to my Sima CT-200

Came today (took 13 days with no progress updates) works great (very small and no instructions, get them on line) version 6.3 mode 001, odd shape but it works - my test was with S-Video, playback looked fine (even with no adjustments). Better than the Sima? hard to tell as both work fine for me on anything I have to try. No settings EZ just plug in - a good item to have - when not in use, you don't notice it.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page