Wanna fix the Pioneer DVR-640H-S Timer Event Title Name Issue? - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 514 Old 01-11-2007, 12:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just thought surely the model 2-3 years later would be better. Didn't dawn on me, they could be going in the opposite direction. I got a good deal on the 520 back then too so i paid almost as much for the 640 and have less features. Makes tons of sense. But oh well. The widescreen flag problem was obviously going to happen on either. I don't personally care about the timer name issue because I dont record too often. But there are even more drawbacks to the newer version and nothing was even wrong with my 520, I just felt like getting something new and assumed it would be better. Maybe PQ will be better at least...

Got Talk (general discussion forum - someone add product reviews)

Got Zelda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 514 Old 01-11-2007, 06:36 AM

As Sean mentioned recently in this thread, it would be helpful if someone learns the I.D. # that Pioneer uses internally to describe the 640H firmware upgrade, and posts it here for reference.
post #93 of 514 Old 01-11-2007, 06:40 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker47 View Post

As Sean mentioned recently in this thread, it would be helpful if someone learns the I.D. # that Pioneer uses internally to describe the 640H firmware upgrade, and posts it here for reference.

I did specifically ask about that at Pioneer Canada, but was told there is no name for it. Maybe someone at Pioneer USA will be better informed?
post #94 of 514 Old 01-11-2007, 06:54 AM

I really hope a firmware update disc is made available. I called a store listed on the Pioneer Canada site as an authorized repair centre that is a manageable drive for me and was told that they were NOT authorized to do anything under warrantee. A drive to Markham is not practical for me and I can't see myself without the unit for a week. Sigh.

I am eagerly anticipating the reports of those brave souls who have sent their units in for upgrade.

By the way, I complained about this problem to them about the 531 via email 18 months ago. It is too bad the current update would not apply to my 531 also.
post #95 of 514 Old 01-11-2007, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngohit View Post

I have no idea what is involved when the firmware update is installed. What I can't imagine is Pioneer _not_ working on an automated-process disk.

I'm about 90 % sure I recall reading about at least one other name mfr. doing it that way -- either by a download that gets burned to become one's own upgrade disk, or an already prepared upgrade disk that the user simply inserts into the unit and follows a few prompts. I'm thinking it may well have been Lite-On, seeing as I probbly saved more messages pertaining to models of theirs like the 5005 and 5045 than any others, except for various Pioneer threads of course. These were budget priced units, likely outselling the DVDR sales of Pioneer, JVC, and Toshiba combined . . . and I think they had a number of firmware updates released along the way. Agreed that this has to be a more efficient and cost effective way to go.

There is a HDD in these things, and it must use some type of mini-OS and file system, even if we don't know exactly what it has. Ergo, it must have some Hidden and System files. So, how hard would it be for an automated process to park a safety copy of the firmware being replaced somewhere, out of the way, as a failsafe ? Probably not that hard. It would be quite a small file too, I bet, and so would take up negligible space.

Quote:

The firmware update should not take very long to perform. I wonder whether Pioneer would be willing to let you schedule an appointment so you could bring it in and wait (less than an hour) while it is being updated.

Yes, hope so. After some user reports have trickled in on this fw upgrade, I expect I'll ask Pioneer if they can do that.
post #96 of 514 Old 01-11-2007, 10:39 AM
Advanced Member

Wow! The UPS receipt I received at Staples on Tuesday gave a delivery date of 01/12/2007 (Friday) as did the tracking number progress page I looked at on UPS's web site yesterday morning. Imagine my surprise when I saw it was marked, "Out for delivery," this morning. A few hours ago it was delivered to Pioneer's dock:

COLUMBUS,
OH, US 01/11/2007 10:54 A.M. DELIVERY
01/11/2007 12:12 A.M. OUT FOR DELIVERY
COLUMBUS,
OH, US 01/10/2007 10:30 P.M. ARRIVAL SCAN
NEW STANTON,
PA, US 01/10/2007 6:37 P.M. DEPARTURE SCAN
01/10/2007 4:43 P.M. ARRIVAL SCAN

Now the clock starts ticking. Mine could very well be one of the first delivered to the repair facility for the update. Let's see how long it takes for me to get it back (and if the firmware update completely resolves the problem).
post #97 of 514 Old 01-11-2007, 12:07 PM

FYI, I just ran accross this thread and I have been having a similar issue with the timer event title name on my DVR-543-HS. Contacted Pioneer this morning at the 1-800 number and they knew exactly what I was talking about, and refered me to a warranty repair locally where they will be able to apply the firmware update.
Apparrantly they are still getting disks out to the service centres, but the guy I talked to seemed very confident that they would be able to take care of it for me.

BTW, first noob post here . . . Greets to all the members and mods as you have an execellent forum here, with some great knowledgable and experienced people that are a real help to us just starting out.

Cheers!
post #98 of 514 Old 01-11-2007, 01:24 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
has anyone in canada dropped it off in markham yet?
post #99 of 514 Old 01-11-2007, 01:29 PM

Update:

I contacted Pioneer about this problem a few months ago and yesterday I received a call from a Pioneer customer service manager about the firmware upgrade (very impressed by their customer service btw). He left a message with a phone # and my work order #. I called them back today and was told that yes, a firmware upgrade is available and I would have to ship the unit to Long Beach (he discouraged me from dropping it off). Turnaround time is 5-7 working days.

Here is the phone # I was given: (800) 421-1404

Shipping to:

Pioneer Electronics
1925 E Dominguez St
Long Beach, CA 90810

I'll probably wait until winter sweeps are over and then send it.

Good luck everyone!
post #100 of 514 Old 01-11-2007, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACPewty View Post

I did specifically ask about that at Pioneer Canada, but was told there is no name for it. Maybe someone at Pioneer USA will be better informed?

No I.D. designation # yet, but I bet there will be one in due course.
post #101 of 514 Old 01-12-2007, 01:11 AM

No - I still have my 520H. The problem it developed was that the audio through the tuner would sort of drift off channel after several minutes, so I moved it next to the satellite receiver where it only uses the S-Video/Audio Line inputs and the fact the tuner screwed up doesn't matter. It still gets fairly heavy use recording shows from satellite.
post #102 of 514 Old 01-13-2007, 11:47 AM

Okay, so no one has actually got a machine with the fix yet?
Ngohit has one delivered to the service center,and is waiting for a return. ( may be the first to get one?)

No word on disk or internet fix?

So if you wanted to buy a 640 now, would it have a fix, or would you have to pack it off to service?
If you asked the dealer, they may not know?

Just thought I would ask ( if anyone has experience with), if you had an extended warranty, would that suffice for sales slip?

IMO I am with the group not willing to pack it up and do without and all that!
Note:
(some of this is discussed on page 75 of the Pioneer DVR 640h-S user reports )
post #103 of 514 Old 01-13-2007, 03:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bphouston View Post

Ngohit has one delivered to the service center,and is waiting for a return. ( may be the first to get one?)...

Just thought I would ask ( if anyone has experience with), if you had an extended warranty, would that suffice for sales slip?

(some of this is discussed on page 75 of the Pioneer DVR 640h-S user reports )

I just hope the OH facility had already received the firmware update when my machine arrived! I started the clock ticking for turn around time based on the assumption Pioneer OH already had the update.

I did not send anything but a piece of paper with my name, address, phone number, e-mail address (which was not necessary), and largely printed, "Needs Firmware Update Only," taped to the machine. The woman I spoke with at Pioneer on Monday said this was all I had to do. When I asked, she said a return authorization number was not even needed--just send it in and ask for the firmware update. I doubt if this will be the case, however, this time next year--people then might have to submit proof of when they bought it, which an extended warranty would show.

This is really different than a warranty problem so Pioneer probably does not care where someone bought the 640H right now. The manufacture date on the back of the machine will be less than one year. Mine was manufactured in October 2006.
post #104 of 514 Old 01-15-2007, 11:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I did not send anything but a piece of paper with my name, address, phone number, e-mail address (which was not necessary), and largely printed, "Needs Firmware Update Only," taped to the machine. The woman I spoke with at Pioneer on Monday said this was all I had to do. When I asked, she said a return authorization number was not even needed--just send it in and ask for the firmware update.

I called Pioneer a few minutes ago to find out how I can check the status of the repair considering I was not given a return authorization number (AR) before sending it to OH. I might have to go out of state this or next week, in which case my neighbors would have to get the machine if it is delivered while I am away (weather damage rather than theft concerns).

The woman asked me for my UPS tracking number. With this number she was able to look it up and gave me the RA number it had been assigned upon receipt.

So, if anyone wants to send their 640H in before I get mine back, there is no need to call Pioneer and get an AR number first (as long as you use UPS and keep the tracking number). Just send it to CA or OH.
post #105 of 514 Old 01-16-2007, 06:10 AM

I spoke to Pioneer Canada yesterday and they told me to take my unit to Southland Crossing TV (Bay 6, 5708-1st Street, SE; 403-255-9647; southtv@shaw.ca) for the firmware update. The rep suggested that I wait two weeks before calling to ensure they had been made aware of the update.

- Steve
post #106 of 514 Old 01-16-2007, 08:35 PM

Can you pause live TV instantly with this unit? (i.e. It's always recording vs. having to press a Time Slip button to start recording.)

If it does I'm going to buy it despite the Title Name issue.
post #107 of 514 Old 01-17-2007, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texguy1976 View Post

Can you pause live TV instantly with this unit? (i.e. It's always recording vs. having to press a Time Slip button to start recording.)

No.
post #108 of 514 Old 01-17-2007, 08:26 AM

Quote:

I'd buy it anyway!

Urlee
post #109 of 514 Old 01-17-2007, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:

Well no, but if you hit "record" and then "Pause" (ie, just two button presses) you get the same thing (except you can't "rewind" beyond the point where you pressed "record").
post #110 of 514 Old 01-17-2007, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

That doesn't sound so tough. I'd actually prefer it that way instead of having the HDD always grinding away recording.
post #111 of 514 Old 01-17-2007, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Nelson View Post

Well no, but if you hit "record" and then "Pause" (ie, just two button presses) you get the same thing (except you can't "rewind" beyond the point where you pressed "record").

Thank you. Simply pressing Rewind while watching TV is a great feature on my otherwise crappy RCA 8030. (Cheap tuner=poor picture quality) With the Pioneer if I press Record will I be able to change channels while watching TV?
post #112 of 514 Old 01-17-2007, 11:10 AM

Quote:

Thank you. Simply pressing Rewind while watching TV is a great feature on my otherwise crappy RCA 8030. (Cheap tuner=poor picture quality) With the Pioneer if I press Record will I be able to change channels while watching TV?

No, once you press Record, the channel is locked while recording. I switch over to my VCR tuner if I want to Record one show and watch another.
post #113 of 514 Old 01-17-2007, 06:54 PM

Quote:

Eddiekirstein and the other folks who said "No" are right, but their answers are incomplete.

With the purchase of a HDD DVDR you join the ranks of the "techies". You *can* record one channel and watch another, with some pretty simple cabling. (Restriction: the channel you watch live, not through the DVDR, can only be from among the unscrambled ones. To watch a scrambled channel live you'll need to have the DVDR turned on, but not necessarily recording.)

Hook the incoming cable to a signal splitter, essentially a Y connector (no electrical power needed, maybe $5 at Radio Shack or free if you ask your cable guy). One output goes to the cable input of your TV. The other outpiut of the Y goes to the cable box, and the output of the cable box goes to the input of the DVDR. If you don't have a cable box, then the second output from the signal splitter goes right to the cable input of the DVDR. To complete the hookup, the component output or S-Video output of the DVDR, plus the audio output of the DVDR, go to the "aux1" or "L1" or similar input of the TV.

Now you can set your TV to L1 or aux1 and watch the DVDR's program, or tune a channel directly to watch that channel live regardless of what the DVDR may be doing.
post #114 of 514 Old 01-18-2007, 11:17 AM
Advanced Member

For people who came in late, Pioneer in OH received my 640H last Thursday to get the firmware update and a few minutes ago the UPS driver returned it. That's nine days from when I took it to the UPS desk at Staples.

On the packing list is states under the, "Parts," area:

Comment: Updated Firmware (6.20).
Part number: N/A
Description: No part used

Although I took the 640H out of the box, it is very cold so I shall not be hooking it back up until tomorrow [my plate is full the rest of today/night]. It might not be until this wekend that I check it out.

I was *really* impressed by the way Pioneer pack the machine for shipping. It was packed more like a notebook computer than a DVD recorder. Well cushioned on the bottom and top as well as the ends. The sides were filled with bubble wrap.

I have to run out, but I wanted people waiting until I got mine back to know it's now home, unpacked and getting back to room temperature.
post #115 of 514 Old 01-18-2007, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

I just ran into something interesting on the Pioneer US website.

It is a guide to updating the firmware on the Pioneer Professional PRV-LX1 DVD recorder. For a look click here.

Apparently, Pioneer feels that firmware updates on its Professional DVD recorders can be performed by the users, but that updates for its consumer DVD recorders must be handled by a service facility. Of course, that might be because only the Professional DVD recorder has this capability...bummer...

Added in edit:

I just found this statement in the FAQ file for the PRV-LX1.

Q47: How will Pioneer handle PRV-LX1 firmware updates?
A47: All firmware updates will be distributed by mail to users with registered recorders.

I wonder why this cannot be done for DVR-640H-S users...?

RG
post #116 of 514 Old 01-18-2007, 02:08 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

For people who came in late, Pioneer in OH received my 640H last Thursday to get the firmware update and a few minutes ago the UPS driver returned it. That's nine days from when I took it to the UPS desk at Staples.

On the packing list is states under the, "Parts," area:

Comment: Updated Firmware (6.20).
Part number: N/A
Description: No part used

Although I took the 640H out of the box, it is very cold so I shall not be hooking it back up until tomorrow [my plate is full the rest of today/night]. It might not be until this wekend that I check it out.

I was *really* impressed by the way Pioneer pack the machine for shipping. It was packed more like a notebook computer than a DVD recorder. Well cushioned on the bottom and top as well as the ends. The sides were filled with bubble wrap.

I have to run out, but I wanted people waiting until I got mine back to know it's now home, unpacked and getting back to room temperature.

man we are waiting desperately.......let us know right away please....
post #117 of 514 Old 01-19-2007, 05:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymondeast View Post

man we are waiting desperately.......let us know right away please....

It works. I scheduled a program from DirecTV with a title name set (Magnum, P.I.) then went to bed. This morning I checked and the name is there, so the firmware update works.

When I turned on the machine last night I had to go throught the setup menu again to select language, antenna/cable, time, etc. I select antenna, so it doesn't take very long. Next I checked the HDD and everything on it before I sent it in is still there. It was late so I scheduled one program I know is on at 1 a.m.
post #118 of 514 Old 01-19-2007, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks, ngohit, for the update.

Good news indeed. Please let us know if the firmware update changed anything else.

Now all we need is for Pioneer to send out the firmware update on a CD, so that we don't have to send it to them.

RG
post #119 of 514 Old 01-19-2007, 06:25 AM
Advanced Member

rgazzara: I did not have the 640H long enough to get a list of things I would like, "Fixed," via an update [the lack of a chapter mark button on the remote is not one]. If there is anything you would like me to check, just let me know.

One thing I see that remains the same, though, is that a title is not automatically generated if I schedule a program to be recorded off the air (rather than DirecTV) and merely input the start/end times. My 520H does generate a title when I do this as did the 531H I swapped for the 640H. Even though I could have scheduled recordings through the TVGuide listing on the 531H, I never did because I found less than a minute of the show would usually not get recorded--so I scheduled programs by start/stop times and did not enter a title name (because the 531H would generate one).

Just hitting the record button (for something off the air) does still generate a title name, though, on the 640H.

Edit: Maybe people did not complain about the 640H not generating a title name if merely the start/stop times were set so that Pioneer did not address this issue in the firmware update??
post #120 of 514 Old 01-19-2007, 06:26 AM

Quote:

It works....

Thanks, ngohit, for your diligence in pursuing this.

I got my 640 and was in day 7 of a 7-day evaluation period when my region was hit by a massive ice-storm. I was in the middle of a test when the power went out. That was 7 days ago. The power is still out.

When we get power back, my 640 is gonna wake up and say-- "WTF ? I am going back to Japan where all we have are earthquakes !"

---

Your report that the firmware update has worked is just about the only good news I have had for 7 days !!! (We have been living cave-man style, huddled under covers, using candles to keep semi-warm...kinda)

Thanks !!!!!
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page