Wanna fix the Pioneer DVR-640H-S Timer Event Title Name Issue? - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 514 Old 02-04-2007, 08:26 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtBulldog View Post

It's been 10 days since I've sent mine in and I still haven't gotten it back. Mind you, I only live 20 miles from the Long Beach facility. Anyway, I emailed Pioneer about it today and they said it would be another 5 working days. Not too pleased...

Your posting was on January 25th. Have you gotten it back yet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 514 Old 02-05-2007, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngohit View Post

Your posting was on January 25th. Have you gotten it back yet?

No.
post #183 of 514 Old 02-05-2007, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post

Talked to Eric at Pioneer Canada head office. He told me the firmware upgrade can be done while you wait PROVIDED you call ahead and set an appointment.

After yet another 40 minute wait, Erik told me I had to ship my unit since there were NO authorized repair depots in ALL of Manitoba. He swears that if I ship it attention ERIK, he will ship the unit back the same day. Of course I will have no real way of knowing if it actually happens since it could sit at the depot for days. I plan to get the unit shipped later on this week but, after reading posts of SgtBulldog's experience so far, I am nervous to mail my unit out .

I also asked if the firmware would ever be available on-line or shippable, and he said "No, never" I mentioned what I had read here about the possibility of the firmware being available to end users, and he said that it was not possible . . .

. . . . I am sure someone else at Pioneer will tell somebody else that the above is not true, and that the firmware will be available sometime in the future. sigh.
post #184 of 514 Old 02-05-2007, 04:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klem View Post

After yet another 40 minute wait, Erik told me I had to ship my unit since there were NO authorized repair depots in ALL of Manitoba. He swears that if I ship it attention ERIK, he will ship the unit back the same day. Of course I will have no real way of knowing if it actually happens since it could sit at the depot for days. I plan to get the unit shipped later on this week but, after reading posts of SgtBulldog's experience so far, I am nervous to mail my unit out ...

I was bug-eyed to read that SgtBulldog hadn't received his back. Maybe you missed my postings, but mine was in/out of the Ohio facility, send one week, back the next.

Be positive. Assume your experience wilkl be similar to mine.
post #185 of 514 Old 02-08-2007, 02:50 PM

4 weeks now and still going...
post #186 of 514 Old 02-08-2007, 04:06 PM
Advanced Member

SgtBulldog: I assume you have been calling for updates. What (excuse) is Pioneer giving you?

Really, I am stupified. There is no reason for it to take nearly this long.
post #187 of 514 Old 02-08-2007, 10:15 PM

They haven't given me any reasons at all, the CSRs just keep saying that it will take another 5 days, another 5 days. I just hope they didn't destroy it...
post #188 of 514 Old 02-09-2007, 04:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Maybe a backlog has developed because so many people are requesting the firmware update.

If so, I hope this prompts Pioneer to release the update on their web site, or at least on a CD that they can mail.

RG
post #189 of 514 Old 02-09-2007, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACPewty View Post

Although I didn't ask specifically about the 543, I expect they would have a fix for all the 2006 models since they're all in the same boat. I would give them a call first to confirm. (If you do, please report back here for the benefit of other 543 and 540 users.)

I took my DVR-543HS to Pioneer Canada (Markham) and waited for the firmware update.

-total time : 25 minutes
post #190 of 514 Old 02-10-2007, 10:39 AM

To the Canadian folks who have driven the unit to Markham - how did you keep the unit from getting cold on the trip? My concern is having to wait around at Pioneer while the unit warms up to prevent condensation. I live near Square One so the trip is likely to take an hour each way.

I figure I'll wrap it in a blanket or two, stuff it in a box and set the box on the passenger-side floor in the car.

......Rob
post #191 of 514 Old 02-10-2007, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bphouston View Post

So has anyone purchased a new 640 that has the firmware "update?" A Vann's sales person says that the new ones from the factory will have the firmware "fix", that is it would not be a patch, but rather a firmware with the correct function. They did not have any in stock at this time.

I'm not caught up in this thread, and it's even worse for the main 640 thread (the AVS database index updating -- which had the site offline for awhile -- was unfortuante timing for me in that regard), so this may have been discussed more recently. But I've just noticed that 1-Call has stopped listing the 640 -- not even an "Out of Stock" notice, I think. Vann's was listing it, but I don't recall if they actually had any in stock. Haven't checked at Amazon or the price compare services yet. So, this may be about the end of when anyone could still buy one of these units new. In that case, it won't matter what rev. of firmware the unit came with. Wasn't there some kind of March '07 deadline for sale of recorders equipped with the old-style tuners ?
post #192 of 514 Old 02-10-2007, 01:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker47 View Post

Haven't checked at Amazon or the price compare services yet. So, this may be about the end of when anyone could still buy one of these units new. In that case, it won't matter what rev. of firmware the unit came with. Wasn't there some kind of March '07 deadline for sale of recorders equipped with the old-style tuners ?

The March deadline is just for manufacturers, assemblers and importers ("Responsible Parties" per the rule)...they can no longer import them or ship them in interstate commerce.

Retailers can ship, store and sell as long as they have stock somewhere and their selling doesn't involve a "Responsible Party."
post #193 of 514 Old 02-10-2007, 07:40 PM
AVS Special Member

You are correct, they are disappearing fast.

B&H Photo still has them available for $339.95, click here. B&H is an authorized dealer and one that is highly recommended.

RG
post #194 of 514 Old 02-10-2007, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyrob View Post

To the Canadian folks who have driven the unit to Markham - how did you keep the unit from getting cold on the trip? My concern is having to wait around at Pioneer while the unit warms up to prevent condensation. I live near Square One so the trip is likely to take an hour each way.

I figure I'll wrap it in a blanket or two, stuff it in a box and set the box on the passenger-side floor in the car.

......Rob

I turned the heat on in the car.
Seriously though, I doubt condensation will be a problem since they only need to test with an HDD recording and the HDD is a sealed unit. I drove for 2 hours with no fear of problems. I doubt you need to worry about it for a 1 hour trip even if your car's heater is toast. Just put it in its box, keep the box closed and don't drop it!
post #195 of 514 Old 02-10-2007, 10:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

...and the HDD is a sealed unit.

Largely unrelated to the current discussion, but HDDs are not actually sealed, at least not in the sense that they're airtight. They actually have a filtered air port to allow pressure equalization. This is done so that they don't have to make the casing a pressure vessel that can withstand changes in altitude.

I suppose this could let water vapour inside, but I've never heard of this being a problem.
post #196 of 514 Old 02-11-2007, 12:51 AM

Has anyone witnessed Pioneer perform the upgrade? I'm wondering if they use some proprietary gadget like a service remote, which might make a DIY upgrade less likely.

A hard drive I pulled apart had a packet of dessicant inside.

post #197 of 514 Old 02-11-2007, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by equivocal View Post

A hard drive I pulled apart had a packet of dessicant inside.

Interesting. There's usually an internal "scavanging" filter in the airpath to pick up anything that's leftover from the manufacturing process or that somehow makes it's way inside, but I've never seen dessicant.
post #198 of 514 Old 02-11-2007, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Nelson View Post

Largely unrelated to the current discussion, but HDDs are not actually sealed, at least not in the sense that they're airtight. They actually have a filtered air port to allow pressure equalization. This is done so that they don't have to make the casing a pressure vessel that can withstand changes in altitude.

I suppose this could let water vapour inside, but I've never heard of this being a problem.

OK they aren't necessarily airtight, but they are designed to be sealed enough to prevent any significant build-up of moisture since even a tiny droplet inside could be disastrous. For the purposes of the discussion I don't think "sealed" was out of line.
post #199 of 514 Old 02-11-2007, 11:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

For the purposes of the discussion I don't think "sealed" was out of line.

Nope, no problem with "sealed". I just thought I'd pass on what might be an interesting piece of information.
post #200 of 514 Old 02-12-2007, 07:53 AM

Ok, I finally got my unit back after 4 weeks. I tested it last night and the firmware upgraded worked. I still haven't found out why it took so long, but I'll keep trying.
post #201 of 514 Old 02-12-2007, 04:35 PM

Quote:

Ok, I finally got my unit back after 4 weeks. I tested it last night and the firmware upgraded worked. I still haven't found out why it took so long, but I'll keep trying.

. . . . . and meanwhile I finally bit the bullet this afternoon and sent my unit (via FEDEX) to Markham, ON. I didn't even think much about the cold temps when I packed it - I sent it back in its original packaging. Hopefully it will not be an issue which will require the unit to acclimate for hours before being worked on.
post #202 of 514 Old 02-12-2007, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Has anyone witnessed Pioneer perform the upgrade? I'm wondering if they use some proprietary gadget like a service remote, which might make a DIY upgrade less likely.

I took my 2nd unit in to Markham today on another short notice appointment and had it done in 15 minutes while I waited. Thanks again Pioneer.

While there I spoke to a service technician (David) and I asked again why the firmware update isn't available as a download. He said he honestly doesn't know, but he did tell me the update does just come on a disc and no special equipment like a service remote is needed, but you do have to press a specific sequence of buttons to enter a service mode to install the update.

When specifically asked, he did say "he thinks" it will be made available as a download in the future, but nothing is for sure.

BTW: This time I did have timer events scheduled and they were still intact after the update. In fact as far as I can tell this firmware update is completely painless. You don't even have to reset the time. All setup preferences, recordings and events are retained after the update is installed.

Finally, as a side note I asked about new units shipping with the new firmware and as you would expect he said they would have to be manufactured at least 2 weeks after the firmware update was released to include it. He also told me he is quite sure there will be new 2007 DVDR models from Pioneer.
post #203 of 514 Old 02-13-2007, 05:03 AM

ACPewty thanks for the info
post #204 of 514 Old 02-13-2007, 09:37 AM

A bit more info. Almost everything was reset on my unit sent to Long Beach. All setup preferences and timer events were gone. All the recordings were still there plus a few additional ones apparently made by the technicians. Strangely, none of them retained the title just the regular time/date...
post #205 of 514 Old 02-13-2007, 10:45 AM

Quote:

A bit more info. Almost everything was reset on my unit sent to Long Beach. All setup preferences and timer events were gone. All the recordings were still there plus a few additional ones apparently made by the technicians. Strangely, none of them retained the title just the regular time/date...

Well, there seems to be a HUGE advantage going for users in the general vicinity of at least one of the Canadian service centers. Too bad the situation is much less good over in SoCal. I still would not let my 640 sit there for 2 weeks, and forget about 4. If that's the best they can do, I'll just continue to live with the problem, forcing myself to manually title the recordings within a day or two of when they were recorded -- before I lose track of whatever it was.
post #206 of 514 Old 02-13-2007, 12:40 PM

I agree. The ONLY reason why I sent it in was because the CSR told me that it would only take 5-7 days. Maybe they meant weeks instead of days though, who knows?
post #207 of 514 Old 02-13-2007, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Sounds like maybe you were the Guinea Pig and they made a mess during that long wait. Ouch. Sorry the experience wasn't more positive for you.
post #208 of 514 Old 02-13-2007, 05:03 PM
Advanced Member

I do not know if this has anything to do with the update or not, but I made a posting to the main 640H user thread (#2426) about a problem I just experienced.:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...08#post9768608

As I state over there, I just tried to copy a few unedited, LP titles to a DVD-R. Inserting the blank DVD-R in the tray, the machine read, "LOAD," for a short time--then the machine turned off. TUrning it back on, I could copy to then finalize the DVD-R.

Pioneer is now closed so I cannot call.

Anyone else who has gotten the update also experience this?
post #209 of 514 Old 02-13-2007, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngohit View Post

I do not know if this has anything to do with the update or not, but I made a posting to the main 640H user thread (#2426) about a problem I just experienced.:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...08#post9768608

As I state over there, I just tried to copy a few unedited, LP titles to a DVD-R. Inserting the blank DVD-R in the tray, the machine read, "LOAD," for a short time--then the machine turned off. TUrning it back on, I could copy to then finalize the DVD-R.

Pioneer is now closed so I cannot call.

Anyone else who has gotten the update also experience this?

I just ran a few tests inserting a Verbatim DVD-R in an updated 640 both while in a copy list and not, and no problem at all. Maybe it's your media?
post #210 of 514 Old 02-17-2007, 07:57 PM

I'd like to express my appreciation to this forum for bringing this "fix" to my attention.

At the same time, I'm really puzzled, but thankful, that Pioneer would bother to fix such a minor functional aspect of the recorder, as return shipping costs must add up for them. I suppose, though, that only the hardcore enthusiasts visiting forums like this even know about the fix, let alone that most users probably wouldn't see the sense of trading off the use of their recorder for many weeks and potential damage during shipping for such a minor fix.

Never the less I want to publicly thank Pioneer Electronics for putting enthusiasts' needs ahead of their own business needs. I am very impressed with Pioneer's response to this issue, it is certainly a refreshing and welcome business approach in this day and age.

P.S.

Quote:

The firmware update is a simple process that takes about 3 minutes. A CD is placed in the tray and then the two front panel keys "Rec Stop" and "Play" are pushed simultaneously (I wouldn't advise doing this without the appropriate CD in the tray). The CD drawer closes and runs for about a minute with the word "LOAD" displayed on the front display. Then the CD tray opens and the firmware begins to be loaded into the machine with the word "DOWNLOAD" and a count down timer displayed for several more minutes. That's it, that's all.

P.P.S

My updated machine seems to have survived the "fix" with no ill effects, although I don't use the many features available as extensively as many on this forum. All timer programming and machine settings remained in place. This should relieve any fears that your machine may not survive the "fix". I'd be more concerned about the potential of having the machine damaged during shipping, and the hassle of getting it repaired.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page