Wanna fix the Pioneer DVR-640H-S Timer Event Title Name Issue? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 514 Old 09-23-2006, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Firstly, I want to note that I have been very happy with my Pioneer 640 so far. It is a great recorder with very few flaws, but there is one thing I (any many others) would love to see a fix for, preferably through a firmware update that I can download:

The title name for Timer events only displays the date, time and recording speed used even if the program name is broadcasted and available. Also, if I set a title name for a timer event before the recording, it is not passed on to the recording when it happens.

We know the recorder can capture broadcasted title names because it does so for manual recordings when you just press Record...even off video tape dubs!

I would like to have as much of the broadcasted program name as will fit with the +date/time/speed if I do not set a timer event name in advance, and if I do set a timer event name in advance, I would like it to use that +date/time/speed, space permitting.

Yes, you can enter the title manually after the recording completes, but that is tedious. I have spoken to Pioneer (Canada) customer service in the past and they acknowledged that it was a problem that they were aware of. (They did not at that time claim missing the titles was by design, which I suppose they could do since the manual does not mention anything to the contrary.)

I plan to politely call Pioneer again about this issue to ask for a fix via firmware update, but alone I will undoubtedly have little affect. I am hoping other 640/543/540 owners are willing to also make the call in hopes that enough voices will be heard.

If you own a 640 (or 543/540) and would like to see this fixed, please make a polite call to:

Pioneer USA at 1(800)421-1404
Pioneer Canada at 1(877)283-5901

Please report your results here. Calling should provide the best results, but if you don't want to do that but still agree, please post your sentiments here and/or email Pioneer at poccs@pioneer-usa.com or use their Contact Form.

If you have a different opinion about how the title names should work for timer events, or other issues you would like to see fixed via firmware update, that is welcome here too.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Success!...firmware update 6.20 now available...see page 3 of this thread for details.

Download now available!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 514 Old 09-23-2006, 05:05 PM

I have emailed Pioneer customer service about this twice with no reply! Will try phoning as you suggested. I agree with all your comments.
post #3 of 514 Old 09-23-2006, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

I would also email Pioneer this thread so they know that you are taking it to the streets Maybe that might nudge them to work on a firmware fix a little faster & also let them know that you are not the only one complaining about this problem.
post #4 of 514 Old 09-23-2006, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill1313 View Post

I would also email Pioneer this thread so they know that you are taking it to the streets Maybe that might nudge them to work on a firmware fix a little faster & also let them know that you are not the only one complaining about this problem.

Not a bad idea, although I have heard emails don't necessarily get a lot of response. Can't hurt anyway...the more action the better.
post #5 of 514 Old 09-24-2006, 08:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks for the suggestion. I just got a 640H-S last week and have been scheduling plenty of shows, already. I saw the program title get automatically assigned when using OTR, but not for any of my timer recordings, even though most had a manually entered title.

I will call Pioneer as time permits to ask about this issue.
post #6 of 514 Old 09-25-2006, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I called Pioneer Canada this morning at 9:20am and got an immediate answer...finished the call at 9:22am!

The customer service rep said there have been some calls about it, and he "thinks" a service request has been issued to Japan, but he didn't sound very definite. He also couldn't say for sure that the 640 is ready to import firmware updates, but he thinks "it should be able to since it has a USB port."

Please call folks...sounds like we may be able to get this taken care of if Pioneer thinks enough people care about it.
post #7 of 514 Old 09-28-2006, 10:15 AM

I will try calling, too. This is a HUGE issue for me - soooo time consuming to enter titles all the time (I have so many recordings and it's literally the only way I can organize all my shows properly).

Having said that, anyone a little nervous about a firmware update? I mean, when a tech guy says, "I am not sure", that always sends off warning bells for me! I can just see it now - we all get this firmware update and it causes our machines to CRASH!!! Eeeek! I guess what I am saying, if it's not broke, don't fix it....you know? I am just a little concerned that it could do more harm than good.
post #8 of 514 Old 09-28-2006, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokee99 View Post

I will try calling, too. This is a HUGE issue for me - soooo time consuming to enter titles all the time (I have so many recordings and it's literally the only way I can organize all my shows properly).

Having said that, anyone a little nervous about a firmware update? I mean, when a tech guy says, "I am not sure", that always sends off warning bells for me! I can just see it now - we all get this firmware update and it causes our machines to CRASH!!! Eeeek! I guess what I am saying, if it's not broke, don't fix it....you know? I am just a little concerned that it could do more harm than good.

Thanks for the support. I too get a bit nervous, but we have to assume that a firmware update would come from Japan where there are more knowledgable people than the customer service people on the front lines in North America who are probably mostly trained in how to issue work orders for repairs etc. I have had mostly positive results with firmware updates for computer equipment etc. Hopefully they would test the update. I'm willing to try it first and report back! (I have 2 640s)
post #9 of 514 Old 09-28-2006, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

soooo time consuming to enter titles all the time

It's not exactly a solution to the problem, but are you using the number keys on the remote to enter titles? Once you get the hang of it you'll find that it's much faster than using the arrow keys to select one of the letters from the screen.
post #10 of 514 Old 09-28-2006, 03:17 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Nelson View Post

It's not exactly a solution to the problem, but are you using the number keys on the remote to enter titles? Once you get the hang of it you'll find that it's much faster than using the arrow keys to select one of the letters from the screen.

Don't want to "hijack" this thread, but the sliding door on the 640's remote makes using the num keys more difficult than with the 53x/63x series...you can't hold the "wobbly" door...it just "gets in the way." (You could take the door off, but the remote wouldn't be "pretty" anymore!)

PHILIPS HD DVRs | MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*Due to the AVS SW change in June 2014, most but not all links in this thread will work if you're not logged in. If you are logged in, links should work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.
post #11 of 514 Old 09-28-2006, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by wabjxo View Post

...the sliding door on the 640's remote makes using the num keys more difficult than with the 53x/63x series...you can't hold the "wobbly" door...it just "gets in the way." (You could take the door off, but the remote wouldn't be "pretty" anymore!)

Bummer. If it was me, I'd take the door off.
post #12 of 514 Old 09-29-2006, 11:27 AM

Would also like to see auto chapter create, and Title combine on HDD.
post #13 of 514 Old 09-29-2006, 11:47 AM

plus thumbnails for each chapter that whe create in edit mode and in the playback mode see.......menu and choice of chapter in menu like commercial dvd.
post #14 of 514 Old 09-29-2006, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bphouston View Post

Would also like to see auto chapter create, and Title combine on HDD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by franky932 View Post

plus thumbnails for each chapter that whe create in edit mode and in the playback mode see.......menu and choice of chapter in menu like commercial dvd.

These would indeed be nice, but they sound more like wish-list items for the next model than than things Pioneer would be willing to put out a firmware update for. The timer event title issue seems more like a testing oversight that there is a chance of getting a fix for, since it does work for manual recordings.
post #15 of 514 Old 10-02-2006, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Nelson View Post

I have been using these keys and I have found it to be faster, with some downsides - maybe I am missing something, though:

1. When entering a title that has two letters stored under the same number key, you have to hit the arrow button first, then go back down to that same number key to hit the next letter.

2. No quick method for spaces in the title name. I have to manually go down to the space button on the screen, then go back up to the letter portion on the screen and then continue with the remote numbers entry. Very cumbersome. I've started eliminating spaces and using the ~ character which appears when entering the button that is labelled +.

3. The remote isn't designed for easy title entry via the number keypad. I hate the 'door' and the buttons are so tiny.

Mostly what irritates me is that sometimes I cannot remember what I taped and I have to go through each recording to see (sometimes it's multiple shows that I taped on the same channel). I know when I set up a timed recording what I am recording (therefore, title entry at this point would make perfect sense), but afterwards I have no clue.

Grrr...such a frustration. Oh well. I'll live with it, because I LOVE it anyway!
post #16 of 514 Old 10-02-2006, 11:54 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:

2. No quick method for spaces in the title name. I have to manually go down to the space button on the screen, then go back up to the letter portion on the screen and then continue with the remote numbers entry. Very cumbersome. I've started eliminating spaces and using the ~ character which appears when entering the button that is labelled +.

The PAUSE button enters a space wherever the cursor is in the title line.

PHILIPS HD DVRs | MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*Due to the AVS SW change in June 2014, most but not all links in this thread will work if you're not logged in. If you are logged in, links should work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.
post #17 of 514 Old 10-02-2006, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

1. When entering a title that has two letters stored under the same number key, you have to hit the arrow button first, then go back down to that same number key to hit the next letter.

After pressing the button until you have the first letter you want, press [Enter]. Then you can start pressing again or press Enter again if you want the same letter again.
Quote:

2. No quick method for spaces in the title name.

Press [Pause] to insert a space, as wabjxo says.
Quote:

3. The remote isn't designed for easy title entry via the number keypad. I hate the 'door' and the buttons are so tiny.

Mostly what irritates me is that sometimes I cannot remember what I taped and I have to go through each recording to see (sometimes it's multiple shows that I taped on the same channel). I know when I set up a timed recording what I am recording (therefore, title entry at this point would make perfect sense), but afterwards I have no clue.

Grrr...such a frustration. Oh well. I'll live with it, because I LOVE it anyway!

Read the first post of this thread. We're trying to talk Pioneer into a firmware update to ease those very frustrations. How about supporting it and calling or emailing Pioneer?

Edit: Oops, just realized you already posted earlier. Sorry....did you call yet?
post #18 of 514 Old 10-02-2006, 03:14 PM

I emailed Pioneer about this and got the following response:

Quote:

Please make sure to register your product at pioneerelectronics as our engineers are working on corrective measures for this problem and will notify all registered customers once the fix is in place.

Thank You,

David
Customer Service Representative

post #19 of 514 Old 10-02-2006, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtBulldog View Post

I emailed Pioneer about this and got the following response:

Please make sure to register your product at pioneerelectronics as our engineers are working on corrective measures for this problem and will notify all registered customers once the fix is in place.

Thank You,

David
Customer Service Representative

That's Great!! Thank you for contacting them and for posting your results here. Hopefully with more response this really will happen soon.
post #20 of 514 Old 10-03-2006, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACPewty View Post

After pressing the button until you have the first letter you want, press [Enter]. Then you can start pressing again or press Enter again if you want the same letter again.
Press [Pause] to insert a space, as wabjxo says.
Read the first post of this thread. We're trying to talk Pioneer into a firmware update to ease those very frustrations. How about supporting it and calling or emailing Pioneer?

Edit: Oops, just realized you already posted earlier. Sorry....did you call yet?

Yeah, I tried calling twice, and both times I had to wait for more than 20 minutes and just ended up hanging up. I am going to write an e-mail instead.

BUT....sounds like from the other responses here that they are working on a fix! That is GREAT news!
post #21 of 514 Old 10-04-2006, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well, I emailed Pioneer yesterday and got the following response today:

Quote:

There is no firmware upgrade for this issue, thank you for your suggestion.

Best Regards

Customer Call Centre
Pioneer Electronics of Canada
300 Allstate Parkway
Markham Ontario L3R 0P2
Toll free: 1 (877) 283 5901
Fax: 1 (877) 746 4848

Seems to depend on who answers. I think they need more of a push...
post #22 of 514 Old 10-28-2006, 04:55 AM

New 640 owner here.

Yesterday I phoned 800-421-1404 about this issue. Phil went off the phone for a bit, came back and said his boss told him it's a "software glitch" and they've been getting a fair number of calls. He said they're "working on it in Japan", and there "may" be a directive to take it to a local service center, or a disk might get mailed out. I didn't get the sense that there's a commitment to a fix yet, much less a schedule.
post #23 of 514 Old 10-28-2006, 12:54 PM

and as far as i Know most of others DVR brand can do that as well. As I know it's not a big deal to do that.
post #24 of 514 Old 10-29-2006, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreStan View Post

New 640 owner here.

Yesterday I phoned 800-421-1404 about this issue. Phil went off the phone for a bit, came back and said his boss told him it's a "software glitch" and they've been getting a fair number of calls. He said they're "working on it in Japan", and there "may" be a directive to take it to a local service center, or a disk might get mailed out. I didn't get the sense that there's a commitment to a fix yet, much less a schedule.

The code for this already exists in the firmware for my 520 (and probably several other models). You would think it wouldn't be all that tall an order for them to extract it, maybe tweak it as needed for the 640, and revise the fw accordingly. (Yeah, I know there is always a possibility of breaking something that does work now, when this is done, so I guess some testing would be required, and maybe that does lift this out of the "trivial task" category for Pioneer.)
post #25 of 514 Old 10-29-2006, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabjxo View Post

Don't want to "hijack" this thread, but the sliding door on the 640's remote makes using the num keys more difficult than with the 53x/63x series...you can't hold the "wobbly" door...it just "gets in the way." (You could take the door off, but the remote wouldn't be "pretty" anymore!)

Previously, in the long and ongoing 640 User Reports thread, a number of other reasons were advanced in favor of getting and using the earlier 633 remote instead. It won't help the firmware issue, of course, but might address some of your other concerns.
[Tried to put the URL in here, but the system wouldn't let me . . . . ]
And there was a Pioneer parts link posted for this also. There used to be a small price difference, I think, but now the cost is the same.
post #26 of 514 Old 11-04-2006, 10:52 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
yes even if i try to set a recording and type in a title myself it still will not copy the title to the finished timed recording? anyone else?
post #27 of 514 Old 11-04-2006, 10:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymondeast View Post

yes even if i try to set a recording and type in a title myself it still will not copy the title to the finished timed recording? anyone else?

Everyone else
post #28 of 514 Old 11-05-2006, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 429
It'll be interesting if they can or will actually solve this problem.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

post #29 of 514 Old 11-08-2006, 12:09 AM

Yeah - they'll resolve it as quick as they resolved the TVGoS (EPG) problem in the DVR-633H.

After reading this I definitely will not pursue having my DVR-633H replaced with a DVR-640H. My old DVR-520H would keep the program titles you entered in the timer, then they replaced that with the DVR-633H and the EPG (which in theory, and when it worked, was better), and now the best Pioneer can come up with as a "new" model is the DVR-640H which neither has an EPG like the DVR-633H, but doesn't even capture a program title set in the timer (or from off air) ? That makes the thing practically useless for someone who records a weeks worth of programming while away from home. Sound like "one giant leap backwards" for Pioneer and only reinforces my decision to replace my DVR-633H with a Panasonic DMR-EH55.
post #30 of 514 Old 11-08-2006, 01:13 AM
AVS Special Member

To me, it is only a minor annoyance, in an otherwise fine machine. I record about four, or more, programs a day. I usually have over 20 programs in the HDD, but sometimes over 30.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page