Sony GX330 Rec Pause Exist! :) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 33 Old 10-13-2006, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The other day my 4 yr old son dropped are Sony remote gx330 down are wooden stairs and broke it. As a result,I went out and brought a cheap Sony Universal remote Model: RMVL600 to replace it. During recording of one of my shows I decided to see if the pause record on this remote works with my Sony gx330 dvd recorder and to my surprise it works!!!

As many of you may or may not know the remote that comes with the gx330 does not have a record pause and thus you are not allowed to pause a recording to cut out unwanted commercials. With a universal remote that has a record pause feature on it, you can now record pause with the gx330

Hope this helps!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 10-13-2006, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
was the title of this thread english???
post #3 of 33 Old 10-13-2006, 06:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthJersey View Post

was the title of this thread english???

It only missed by one letter. I'd call that a "typo".

In space, no one can eat ice cream - Killer Klowns From Outer Space
post #4 of 33 Old 10-15-2006, 11:43 PM

Liked: 10
Having read the above post,I stopped by the local WM and checked out their selection of remotes.
They had the Sony RMVL600 for about $26, but they also had a less expensive Sony universal remote for about $10. Of course I opted for the lesser expense.In short,it didn't work.Gave me the same onscreen message as the supplied remote gave. Something like "This operation not availalable while in record mode" or something like that.Looks like I'll be making a return trip to WM.Anybody else had any experiences with remotes working around the record/pause issue?
post #5 of 33 Old 10-16-2006, 06:06 AM - Thread Starter

Donal,

What code did you put in to see if it works? Try entering one of these codes for that remote you picked up at WM. 3205,3206,3207,3208,3209 or 3210. After entering in one of the codes, then try the record pause feature.

Turn on the component to be programmed.
On the remote control, press and hold the SET button.
When holding the SET button, press the MENU button.
NOTE: The SET indicator will illuminate.

Release the SET and MENU buttons.
Press the appropriate component select button for the component being set up.
Using the number pad, enter the component's manufacturer code.
NOTE: If more than one code number is listed for the manufacturer, repeat the procedure, entering one code at a time until you find one that works.

Press the ENT button.

Hope this helps!
post #6 of 33 Old 10-16-2006, 09:19 AM

Well,took the less expensive Sony remote back to WM and got the RMVL600.Short story is , it didn't work either. I'm going to return it and give up on the record/pause issue.
post #7 of 33 Old 10-16-2006, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by m2845 View Post

The other day my 4 yr old son dropped are Sony remote gx330 down are wooden stairs and broke it. As a result,I went out and brought a cheap Sony Universal remote Model: RMVL600 to replace it. During recording of one of my shows I decided to see if the pause record on this remote works with my Sony gx330 dvd recorder and to my surprise it works!!!

As many of you may or may not know the remote that comes with the gx330 does not have a record pause and thus you are not allowed to pause a recording to cut out unwanted commercials. With a universal remote that has a record pause feature on it, you can now record pause with the gx330

Hope this helps!

I have found this true with several devices I have owned in the past. The universal remote opens up some "undocumented" features of the device.

At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 33 Old 10-16-2006, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

Donal,

Sorry it did not work for you but one of those codes that I listed will unlock the rec/pause feature. Three other posters over the weekend emailed me with there success over the weekend with same remote I brought.
post #9 of 33 Old 10-17-2006, 08:40 AM

m2845

I tried all the codes you gave and none of them worked for me at all.Don't know what the deal is.
Anyway that's the way it goes sometimes.It was worth a try.
post #10 of 33 Old 10-17-2006, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

m2845, If I'm not mistaken? doesn't the Sony itself also have 3 different codes for controling it? Command 1, 2 or 3 maybe that's why Donal can't get any of the codes to work because his "Command Number" is not the same as yours.

So what Command Number do you have your "Original" Remote set to?
post #11 of 33 Old 10-18-2006, 04:40 AM - Thread Starter

Bill1312, The original command code on my remote is set to 1. On my Sony Universal remote Model: RMVL600 the command code is set to the DVD input. Also, one of the emailers told me that he got his to work by using the learning function of his RMVL600 to learn the functions of the Sony RDR-HX715 remote that also has a rec/pause feature. He said the sales rep at the Sony store in Houston programed it for him there after he brought the RMVL600 there.
post #12 of 33 Old 10-24-2006, 01:19 PM

I changed the command code on my GX330 remote to DVD 1 (factory setting is DVD 3).
I tried the codes posted by m2845 for the Sony DVR but none of them worked on my RMVL600. I even tried the codes for the other DVR brands but still none worked. I tried using the Sony DVD code 0001 and it worked on my RMVL600. I tried the Power, Play, Stop and Pause buttons on the RMVL600 and it worked on the GX330. However, when I tried pressing Record and Play, the component button on the RMVL600 wouldn't even light up. So I tried recording a TV show using the GX330 remote control and while it was recording, I tried pressing the Pause button on the RMVL600 remote to pause the recording but the pause button on the RMVL600 wouldn't work. It would show an onscreen message "Operation Prohibited While Recording". I think I'm getting there because somehow the RMVL600 remote control somewhat worked but what could I have done wrong and I couldn't record and pause record on the RMVL600 remote. Is it because the code I used was for a DVD instead of a DVR? Does it have something to do with the batch of the Sony RDR GX330 recorder produced--some would accept the DVR codes and some would not? I just got my GX330 and RMVL600 last Saturday. Will the way the DVD recorder is set up have something to do with it? Can anybody help me? I want the pause record button to work on the RMVL600 remote because otherwise, I would be tempted to buy the remote of the GX300, the pause record button of which would work on the GX330 according to a thread I found on another forum.

Thanks very much in advance.
post #13 of 33 Old 10-30-2006, 06:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Not to beat a dead horse, but I can't get this to work either. I've tried every Sony code that I could find in the included literature (including the ones listed above) to no avail. I've also tried all 3 command modes in the player. Does anybody know if the remote for the GX315 will work with this unit, record pause and all? If so, I know somebody with one, so I can just use it to program the RMVL600.
post #14 of 33 Old 11-07-2006, 03:47 AM
Advanced Member

Minor update. Tried the remote from a friend's GX315. It doesn't work. I still get the same operation prohibited while recording message. Going to try and have somebody from the Sony Style store program the RMLV600 from an HX715. It's remote has an actual record pause button separate from the pause button. I'll report my findings as soon as I have them.
post #15 of 33 Old 11-07-2006, 09:19 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmystikcfl View Post

Minor update. Tried the remote from a friend's GX315. It doesn't work. I still get the same operation prohibited while recording message. Going to try and have somebody from the Sony Style store program the RMLV600 from an HX715. It's remote has an actual record pause button separate from the pause button. I'll report my findings as soon as I have them.

jmystikcf, the GX315 remote does not have the "record pause" button on it. The pause button that you see on it is for playback only.

Don't bother pressing it during recording for it will not work. When pressing it during recording, that error message your posting is normal when attempting to use that same button even with Sony recorders that have the "record pause" feature, GX-7, GX300 etc.

If your having problems programming a learning remote for that feature, try a Sony remote that has the "record pause" button on it like the remotes for the:
GX-7
GX-300
HX-900
HX-715

That button is found next to the "record" and "record stop" buttons. It is red and found under the sliding panel.

nx211
post #16 of 33 Old 11-07-2006, 12:17 PM

Because of my frustration over the record pause feature of the GX-330, I bought the remote control for the Sony GX-300 (RMT-D205A), which has the record pause button. I tried using the record pause button of the RMT-D205A remote on the GX-330 and it works!!
post #17 of 33 Old 11-07-2006, 03:19 PM
Advanced Member

Well, I took my RMLV600 remote to the Sony Style store today. They were extremely helpful. We dug around in the bin 'o remotes, but they couldn't find the one for the HX715. They did have the RM-YD002 which comes with the KDF-E55A20 TV. It has the Rec Pause button under the door. Programmed the learning remote, and boom, it works. Now the debate is whether to order either this remote (or one of the ones listed above) or to keep the universal one.

Edit: On the GX315, there is no separate record pause button, but when the unit is recording, you use the regular playback pause button to activate the feature. I was merely testing to see if it was programmed into the remote like a record pause, or regular pause button. Either way, that feature never should have been left out of the GX330.
post #18 of 33 Old 12-29-2006, 06:10 PM

Hi,
i solved the problem of the RDR-GX330 the remote control of the RDR-GX7 DVD RECORDER.

So to every RDR-GX330 owner out there, the bottomline is that your DVD RECORDER DOES HAVE THAT FUNCTION!! just purchase or look for the right remote ( ONE THAT HAS RECORD PAUSE BUTTON ON IT).

Ill tell you all about it if you send a private message

regards, and happy new year
post #19 of 33 Old 01-15-2007, 12:02 PM

I bought the RMVL600 to try this out, I could not get it to work. I was finally able to Power on/off the GX330 by programming the DVD component button with code 0025 (for DVD player, not recorder), but the play/record buttons would not work. None of the codes suggested above (for DVR) would work.
post #20 of 33 Old 01-16-2007, 07:23 PM
Advanced Member

My GX-315 "pause" button works to pause recordings and playback...that is why I bought it over the 330...that and the optical out on the rear which the 330 does not have...I got the 315 at CC brand new for $70 and I love it...

Hitachi CMP-4202U Pro 42" HD Plasma
Samsung LN-S2338W 23" Flat Panel LCD
Sony SVR-3000 460 Hour Network DVR w/Tivo
Tivo Series Two 40 Hour
Sony RDR-GX-7
Sony RDR-GX-300
Sony RDR GX-315
post #21 of 33 Old 01-18-2007, 01:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinach View Post

I bought the RMVL600 to try this out, I could not get it to work. I was finally able to Power on/off the GX330 by programming the DVD component button with code 0025 (for DVD player, not recorder), but the play/record buttons would not work. None of the codes suggested above (for DVR) would work.

No, the codes don't work. What you have to do is track down a remote for one of the models listed above that has a separate "Record Pause" button it and learn it. If you have a Sony Style store near you, they can probably help. If not, you may have to purchase one of those remotes and return your RMVL600 (which would be a shame, it's a nice remote.) At any rate, that's what you have to do. Good luck to you!
post #22 of 33 Old 01-25-2007, 02:35 PM

I recently bought the Sony GX-330 so am still going through the manual. But since many people have complained about the lack of the Pause Rec button, I did some research.

I have the MX-850 universal remote from Universal Remote Control where I can add any device (from their database of devices) to the remote by programming it on the PC. I programmed GX-300 to an empty device on my remote, hid the device, and just made a shortcut to the Pause Rec button on the GX-330 device page. The important thing to keep in mind is to match up the "Command Mode" between the remote and the recorder.

To be sure, I tested it while recording the David Letterman show and the dreaded message didn't appear. The record counter stopped until I pressed the Pause button again after the commercials.

I looked at importing the GX-315. But it looks like there is no discrete button for the Pause Rec. The Pause button may be functional for both Play and Record modes.

My conclusion is that if the functionality exists in the recorder, then one can use any learning remote and learn that button from the previous models' remotes.
post #23 of 33 Old 04-10-2007, 09:53 PM

From reading these posts it appears that some have been able to get the Record-Pause to work on the RM-VL600, while others have not.

To those who have gotten this to work, what button do you press while recording to pause: (1) pause only; or (2) record + pause at the same time?

Also, what specific codes worked for you - the Sony DVD codes or the Sony DVR codes?

Thanks!
post #24 of 33 Old 04-11-2007, 02:58 PM
Advanced Member

If you're using the RM-VL600, none of the codes will work. You'll have to find a Sony remote that has a physical "Record Pause" button on it. There are several models listed above. If you have a Sony Style store nearby, they should be able to help you out.

Another thought/update. The Rec Pause works fine on my Harmony 880, and a previous post references a URC MX-850 remote. If can find a cheap Harmony (maybe on Amazon) as far as I know they all program off the same code base and could be programmed with the elusive button. To tell you the truth, I still the use the RM-VL600 remote with my Harmony 880 when I do recordings. It works out well as I need 2 sets of transport controls, one for the DVR and one the DVD recorder. And, should you go that route, you could program the Harmony using the online code base and then use it (the Harmony) to program the RM-VL600.
post #25 of 33 Old 04-14-2007, 05:07 AM

Thanks jmystikcfl
post #26 of 33 Old 03-25-2008, 08:57 PM

Will the RM-VL600 remote let you get into the Set Up menu for this player (the GX330)?

Thanks,
Scott
post #27 of 33 Old 04-22-2014, 03:50 PM
Advanced Member

Sorry to reopen this thread but has anyone found any of the newer remotes other than the Logitech Harmony series that use a record pause? It's sad that there just aren't many universal remotes left. Since most stuff is switching to wifi or Bluetooth control this might be the last year for infrared components. I have a Philips learning remote that I used the Sony DVD recorder codes on but the pause doesn't work. I can't find any of the original remotes at any intown dealer (pawn shops are great places to find old components but I could not find a Sony DVD recorder remote to save my soul). So, the Sony GX330 I gave to a friend as his Magnavox finally bit the dust is less than useful when recording a live program and wanting to cut commercials. He has also run into the postage stamp effect when recording from 16:9 SD programs and setting the recorder to 16:9. Was there ever a fix for that? Thanks in advance...
post #28 of 33 Old 04-25-2014, 05:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 345
RCA RCRP05B will do every possible command, $9. Used DVD/DVR setup code 1070. If any commands are missing, you can add them using the codes below and the instructions in my signature:
Code:
19100        1
18076   2
18588   3
17564   4
19356   5
18332   6
18844   7
17820   8
51868   9
50844   0
34716   power
42652   descrete off
33948   channel up
35740   channel down
50332   enter
38044   system menu
01180   menu
02204   top menu
39836   display
34972   input select
51612   return
35228   open/close
26780   play
42140   play mode
59036   pause
59804   rec pause
25756   rewind
07068   replay
27548   fast foward
35742   advance
60060   stop
01692   record
59292   rec stop
02460   rec mode
27292   prev
26268   next
15260   audio
02974   timer
35486   title list
05278   picture adjust
63132   zoom
14236   angle
63132   arrow up
63644   arrow down
64412   arrow right
62620   arrow left
13468   subtitle
06814   disk setup
50588   clear

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #29 of 33 Old 05-24-2014, 06:02 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks. Will try to find one locally.

3 in 1

RCR312WR - no code
CRCR351 - unknown

4 in 1

RCRN04GR - no code
CRCRPS04GR - no code
RCR804BR - no code
RCR504BR - unknown

I could not find an RCA 5 in 1 anywhere. Mostly remotes from Philips seem to dominate in stores...

After doing some code searches on RCA's support site, I notice the code 31070 on remotes CRCRPS04GR, CRCR351, RCR314WR, RCR312WR and RCRN04GR under the DVD column. No idea if these would work though. At least the last 2 are a cheap buy at only $3 each at the dollar store. Cheap enough for experimentation. I could not find the RCRP05B at any Canadian store though. Might have to order one from the US. Since that remote is also old, it could be that the newer remotes consolidate the codes for older devices under the blanket "DVD" category. Anyone tried any of the newer remotes?
post #30 of 33 Old 05-24-2014, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug O View Post

Thanks. Will try to find one locally.

3 in 1

RCR312WR - no code
CRCR351 - unknown

4 in 1

RCRN04GR - no code
CRCRPS04GR - no code
RCR804BR - no code
RCR504BR - unknown

I could not find an RCA 5 in 1 anywhere. Mostly remotes from Philips seem to dominate in stores...

After doing some code searches on RCA's support site, I notice the code 31070 on remotes CRCRPS04GR, CRCR351, RCR314WR, RCR312WR and RCRN04GR under the DVD column. No idea if these would work though. At least the last 2 are a cheap buy at only $3 each at the dollar store. Cheap enough for experimentation. I could not find the RCRP05B at any Canadian store though. Might have to order one from the US. Since that remote is also old, it could be that the newer remotes consolidate the codes for older devices under the blanket "DVD" category. Anyone tried any of the newer remotes?
Sorry, the RCRP05B (or BR) is the only RCA that wiil work. I could have told you that before you went searching. Many "One For All" brand remotes should work. There is a one for all clone of the correct RCA, but I don't remember the model. It looks exactly the same except for the color. If you have cable TV, you probably already have a JP1 remote. Also 1070 (21070) isn't the only code that will work. DVD/DVR/VCR 1536 (21536) or Audio 2172 (32172).

What's wrong with this one?
http://www.amazon.ca/5-Device-Universal-Learning-Remote-Black/dp/B00I8KPF22

Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page