Old 01-06-2007, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAH View Post

Nextoo - If you are not planning on playing commercial DVD's from the Polaroid will the other drives listed work as a burner/ player for just the Polaroid created DVD's?

Yes no problems at all. I'm thinking the problem with playing commercial DVDs is a copy protection issue. That's all it can be. It is DVD burner related. I was able to play a pressed DVD I picked up in Hong Kong no problem. The new Sony and LG I mentioned will also play a DVD I ran through DVD shrink.

I'm convinced the problem is CP related at the burner level. Which means there probably is a work around. The two burners that work are older. Perhaps not affected by this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2007, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The answer is somewhere in here:

http://forum.rpc-1.com/viewforum.php...ays=0&start=30
Old 01-06-2007, 10:52 AM
AVS Club Gold

I wonder if it's just a region free firmware hack. Do those burners that have worked the Sony and BTC have hacked firmware by chance?

*VP of all important decisions*
Old 01-06-2007, 11:00 AM

Polaroid could just put a token 40Gb or smaller hd (might as well if people are going to upgrade to their choice), sell it for less and corner the market !
Old 01-06-2007, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by z3scott View Post

I wonder if it's just a region free firmware hack. Do those burners that have worked the Sony and BTC have hacked firmware by chance?

No. Both have original firmware.
Old 01-06-2007, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Problem solved. The problem was new DVD burners out of the box do not have a region set. Take your burner to your PC. Play a DVD. Use Power DVD or something similiar. When you first put in the disc you will be asked to set a region. Do this as region 1. Now you're golden with the Polaroid.

It worked for both the Sony and the LG. They're back on the list!

Somebody say thanks please.
Old 01-06-2007, 11:26 AM
AVS Club Gold

Found the Sony on shop dot com 38 shipped we'll see when it get's here. Seems this drive is used in dup towers from my searching.

Old 01-06-2007, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I tried an Lite-On SHM-165H6S yesterday with only partial succes. Meaning the Polaroid didn't have problem starting up. The drive responded to the remote command to open and loaded a previously recorded (on the Polaroid) dvd. It showed the recording on it and started to play but stopped hanging with a frozen pic on the display, (the 2100G didn't lockup). I was able to unload the dvd fine. I also tried an actual movie (Thin Red Line) which I had watched previously on the Polaroid's existing drive and it hung at the FBI warning and would not advance past it. There also seemed to be a bit of macro blocking/pixellation.

I tried the Lite-On both as master and cable select also. The drive was brand new out of the box. I may have to order one of the Sony 120C that have worked for Nextoo and give it a shot. My unit is a 'G'.

Try setting the region as I just posted. I noticed you said the drive was new out of the box. I think you'll be fine.
Old 01-06-2007, 11:31 AM
AVS Club Gold

now I'm laughing my *ss off at myself. The Lite-on was fresh out of the box Oh well Ididn't want to use it since it was a light scribe anyway. I'll go set the region on it and test.

Old 01-06-2007, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Found the Sony on shop dot com 38 shipped we'll see when it get's here. Seems this drive is used in dup towers from my searching.

Great price but you may not need it.

I just read your light scribe comment - cool.
Old 01-06-2007, 11:47 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_file_systems

...for some reason, this reminds me of people who collect barbed wire...
Old 01-06-2007, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextoo View Post

Yes. Plug and Play. Open the case. Remove the HDD. Put in your new HDD. Close the case. Turn on the Polaroid. That's it. Even I can do it.

Is the burner swap that easy too ?

My burner is dead and I need to replace it yet I dont want to do it and void my warranty. BUT - I dont want to lose my HDD info of distance learning classes.

Thanks,

Alan
Old 01-06-2007, 12:23 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbee Alan View Post

My burner is dead and I need to replace it yet I dont want to do it and void my warranty. BUT - I dont want to lose my HDD info of distance learning classes.

Thanks,

Alan

The burner swap is easier. Or at least subbing another burner is. You will need something like the usb/ide adapters (mentioned in the thread with links) to provide power to the new burner since the power connection for the 2100g internal burner uses a non standard plug into the board for power rather than a molex that the new burner has. I'm using a spare power supply that I have jumpered to be on., but also have the other power adapter as well. You will need a longer ide cable which you hook up the blue end to the ide connector on the motherboard (obviously removing the existing one running to the internal drive) and connected to your replacement. I would suggest disconnecting the power to the internal dvd just follow the leads to the connector running through a ferite core. It just pops out.

The lite is working nextoo now! I'll have to try burning/editing to make sure all functionality is there. I will provide more updates.

Old 01-06-2007, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6volt View Post

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_file_systems

...for some reason, this reminds me of people who collect barbed wire...

Amazing. I think we'll eventually figure it out but right now I feel like I am in a haystack.
Old 01-06-2007, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbee Alan View Post

Thanks,

Alan

It's simple. Here's a pic on an old circa 2003 BTC running with the Polaroid. All you need to do is unplug one IDE cable from its socket. Plug in a longer one that goes to the back of the burner. And power the burner.
LL
Old 01-06-2007, 11:03 PM

Hello All-

Anyone thought of converting the IDE interface to SATA?

geeks has one, it's the "A-IDE2SATA-20330 SATA to IDE converter", about $11.00+shipping

eSATA is very clean-looking cabling, and can support long distance cabling as well. "hot-swap is supported by some chipsets, too.

Also, are the Poloroid 2001G units still being sold, or have they been discontinued?
Old 01-06-2007, 11:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff45 View Post

Hello All-

geeks has one, it's the "A-IDE2SATA-20330 SATA to IDE converter", about $11.00+shipping

eSATA is very clean-looking cabling, and can support long distance cabling as well. "hot-swap is supported by some chipsets, too.

Also, are the Poloroid 2001G units still being sold, or have they been discontinued?

Hi, I have 2 polaroids. PQ is good. It passes 1080 via component in/out when the unit is powered off. I have externalized both HDD's as noted in this thread. Yes, walmart is still selling the units. I just picked up a "K" series unit last week. I had a "B" unit but returned it....this was the 1st production model and they have since worked out some of the bugs. In that it inputs component the widescreen is preserved when recorded. This alone makes this cheap little unit worth the purchase.

If you try the eSATA route please post your findings.
Old 01-07-2007, 05:35 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Hello All-

Nice idea and it looks like that connector would work although there might be a couple potential issues.

1) height... when installed with the sata cable it could mean fitting the top of the Polaroid might interfere
2) it appears that the controller has/needs??? a floppy power connection which needs power

Neither are deal breakers on it working for the intended purposes though. Right now I'm using a spare ps to run my external burner hooked to the 2100G.

Old 01-07-2007, 05:47 AM
AVS Club Gold

My testing of a Lite-On SHM-165H6S so far since setting the region has gone great. It has played back all pressed and burned dvd's and I have burned two dvd's w/o issues. I haven't had time to do any extensive disk editing/chapters etc but it seems the region set will allow us to use any drive.

When I have some more time I'll try to throw on a couple more different drives to make sure. I also have at least one drive that is region free so I might need to check if that causes an issue.

Thanks nextoo

Old 01-07-2007, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hello All-

It could work. But like was posted previously it looks like it might be too tall to sit in the Polaroid case. The cable runs look like they would be great though.

I went regular IDE because I already had some IDE drives available. Also I wanted a disconnection point between my external case and the Polaroid. With IDE I could use IDE gender changers. These allow me disconnect the external case completely from the Polaroid. Other wise I'd be fishing a cable out of the Polaroid and then fishing the same cable into the drive enclosure. They would literally be joined at the hip - very unwieldy. Now it's IDE cables out of the Polaroid - IDE cables out of the external enclosure. Then connected with the gender changers. Makes things clean.

BUT having an SATA cable running out of the Polaroid would be great. It would make hooking up an external SATA drive enclosure very easy! Especially for retail off the shelf external SATA HDDs. For multiple drives you could swap SATA enclosures. With IDE I swap the drives using drive trays into the IDE mobile rack. I think an SATA setup may be better understood and as a result more acceptable.

Looks like SATA could be a great idea.

Polaroids are still being sold but I think it is just existing inventory. Hit or miss in finding one.
Old 01-10-2007, 10:03 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Nextoo,
You can also make the new drive RPC1 rather than RPC2, as they come. Go to www.rpc1.org, and they have tools to make your new drive region free. Liteon drives and Sony drives OEM'd by Liteon are particularly easy to do since no new firmware is required. There is a simple program, called LtnRPC.exe, that changes the drive to an RPC1 drive. Takes about 5 seconds when the new drive is hooked up to a computer. The Polaroid unit itself still needs to be made region free, if you so desire, and those instructions are as follows:

Power on the DVR
Press Setup (stay at the first menu that appears)
Press 9-8-7 (you will get no indication that anything is happening, other than the hand with a slash thru it on screen, as you press the buttons)
Press Add/Clear
Press 0
A screen will appear saying the region code has been set to 0
Press Setup

To be clear, if you want your 2001G to be region free overall, both the new drive and the 2001G itself have to be region free. Making the drive region free just negates the need to "set" a region before inserting it into the Polaroid. A region free drive will work whether the 2001G is region free or not.

Jon

Quote:

Problem solved. The problem was new DVD burners out of the box do not have a region set. Take your burner to your PC. Play a DVD. Use Power DVD or something similiar. When you first put in the disc you will be asked to set a region. Do this as region 1. Now you're golden with the Polaroid.

It worked for both the Sony and the LG. They're back on the list!

Somebody say thanks please.

Old 01-10-2007, 10:41 AM
Advanced Member

After setting the Polaroid to region free does it remain so after powering off then back on?
Old 01-10-2007, 10:54 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Yes.

Jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLSDO View Post

After setting the Polaroid to region free does it remain so after powering off then back on?

Old 01-10-2007, 11:49 AM
Advanced Member

Nice..Re: Region free

BTW. Has anybody seen any good deals on 250gb HDDs lately?
Old 01-10-2007, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLSDO View Post

Nice..Re: Region free

BTW. Has anybody seen any good deals on 250gb HDDs lately?

pricewatch.com is probably one of the better places to check. It's good with commodity type products.

buy.com had WD250's for $65 delivered after google checkout lat month. That's a very good price for WD. I took advantage of it.
Old 01-14-2007, 11:18 AM

Great thread Nextoo!!!!
Are these Polaroids available still at WalMart? Has anyone attempted this on any Toshibas? I really like the way your setup looks and works Nextoo!!! Might attempt it myself.

Joe
Old 01-14-2007, 02:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

pricewatch.com is probably one of the better places to check. It's good with commodity type products.

buy.com had WD250's for $65 delivered after google checkout lat month. That's a very good price for WD. I took advantage of it.

Got another one at Newegg ~$70 delivered
Old 01-14-2007, 03:52 PM

I can't seem to find this unit on sale anywhere. Walmart is out.
Any other place to by this from?
Dose it up convert dvds to 1080p and 720p?
Also, is this the only recorder with HDD that people had sucess upgrading the HDD?
Thanks
Old 01-14-2007, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Only Walmart sold them. They are becoming very hard to find.

No upconvert. Just 480i/480p
Old 01-14-2007, 04:49 PM

Thanks Nextoo. Are you aware of any other DVD recorder with upgradable HDD like the poloride?
Thanks