Pioneer or Polaroid? Others? Help Me Choose a DVDr/DVD Recorder - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 63 Old 11-09-2006, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have been lookin around for an alternative to my VCR player. However, I am caught between models because there always seems to be something bad and can't decide. Want your help before I start pulling hairs out.

Polaroid 2001G
looks like the way to go if you are on the budget. Cheap and open to swapping to larger hard drives. Nice!

CONS: Remote control. Heard it's horrible and I use my remote from a distance of at least 7 ft. Any replacement for it? Any way to improve this?

Mono Tuner?! Come on now, yes many of these shows will be deleted not long after being recorded, but Mono? This is 2006!
Menu Interface? How about quality control of the player?

Pioneer DVR 640h-S
looks like it's a solid recorder. On the pricey side, but heard it was worth it. Now, I am all for spending the extra money if it will save me the headaches later. However, I heard this product has defective hard drives. True?

Does this model have the ability to swap out hard drives like the Polaroid 2001G model?

Any other quirks with this Pioneer?

Main priority is to record tv shows. Then DVD player, then DVD recorder features, etc. If it's going have a dvd player, I mine as well have a good one so I can replace my current DVD player.

If you have another model in mind for me please go right ahead and spill the beans. I am listening!

THANKS!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 63 Old 11-09-2006, 02:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 132
I have not heard of any Pio 53x/63x or 640 hard drives that are or were "defective." Not sure where you heard that but would be interested to find out.

Could the 2005 53x/63x TVGOS problems, which included the sound of "hard drive grinding," be what you're referring to. If so, even the annoying sound SOME people had did not mean a defective HDD, only a poorly designed TVGOS system.
post #3 of 63 Old 11-09-2006, 03:08 PM
Advanced Member

AFIAK the Pioneer's have the most reliable HDDs of the top DVDRs. I have 2 640s and they perform very reliably so far.

There are reports at VideoHelp.com of successful HDD replacement on an older 510 model (to increase space) but it requires special equipment like a service remote. Not easy.
post #4 of 63 Old 11-09-2006, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACPewty View Post

AFIAK the Pioneer's have the most reliable HDDs of the top DVDRs. I have 2 640s and they perform very reliably so far.

There are reports at VideoHelp.com of successful HDD replacement on an older 510 model (to increase space) but it requires special equipment like a service remote. Not easy.

Has anybody tracked the various brands of HDD's used in DVD recorders? I'm a bit curious. I know the Polaroid uses Western Digital. I have a Pio 640 but have not opened it to see what it uses. I just picked up a Toshiba HDD unit and had the cover off but did not make note of the HDD. I wonder what Sony uses. Panasonic? Philips?
post #5 of 63 Old 11-09-2006, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBI Agent View Post

I have been lookin around for an alternative to my VCR player. However, I am caught between models because there always seems to be something bad and can't decide. Want your help before I start pulling hairs out.

Polaroid 2001G
looks like the way to go if you are on the budget. Cheap and open to swapping to larger hard drives. Nice!

CONS: Remote control. Heard it's horrible and I use my remote from a distance of at least 7 ft. Any replacement for it? Any way to improve this?

Mono Tuner?! Come on now, yes many of these shows will be deleted not long after being recorded, but Mono? This is 2006!
Menu Interface? How about quality control of the player?

Pioneer DVR 640h-S
looks like it's a solid recorder. On the pricey side, but heard it was worth it. Now, I am all for spending the extra money if it will save me the headaches later. However, I heard this product has defective hard drives. True?

Does this model have the ability to swap out hard drives like the Polaroid 2001G model?

Any other quirks with this Pioneer?

Main priority is to record tv shows. Then DVD player, then DVD recorder features, etc. If it's going have a dvd player, I mine as well have a good one so I can replace my current DVD player.

If you have another model in mind for me please go right ahead and spill the beans. I am listening!

THANKS!

Polaroid 2001G - the remote has had complaints but my experience tells me that they were from the early production units. I have two newer ones and the remote performs fine. I can operate from 15ft with the stock remote just fine. An early version of the Polaroid was tested and it was confirmed that it had a mono tuner. I posted in the Polaroid thread that this may have changed. When Polaroid was asked via e-mail the response was that the tuner was stereo. So the jury is still out on the newer models.

Pioneer 640 - Solid build. Top tier. I would not be concerned with the HDD. I do not believe anybody has been successful in swapping the HDD. But a replacement is available through Pioneer if problems arise.
post #6 of 63 Old 11-09-2006, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for the responses.

The new Polaroid models, how do I know which has the one with the stereo tuner and the "new" remote?

I am still leaning toward the Pioneer because of its reliability.
post #7 of 63 Old 11-09-2006, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thank you all for the responses.

The new Polaroid models, how do I know which has the one with the stereo tuner and the "new" remote?

I am still leaning toward the Pioneer because of its reliability.

There is no proven evidence the newer production Polaroids have a stereo tuner. I posted in the Polaroid thread that when asked via email if the tuner was stereo the resonse back from Polaroid support was that it was stereo. I would not take this as confirmation. But I did note in my post that my television does report both stereo and mono when looking at a news channel versus Tuner Classic Movie channel. This in my mind is still not "confirmation". I would check out the Polaroid thread and post there any questions you may have.

Your decision is more dependent on your anticipated use requirements in my opinion. Only you can answer that.

Pioneer is a solid brand that produces excellent DVD recorders.
post #8 of 63 Old 11-09-2006, 04:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Many people confuse "mono" (a SINGLE channel) with our typical ref. to a "stereo" signal, even tho' that "stereo" signal may be only two-channels, L and R, both outputting the same audio signal.

Someone proved that an early Polaroid did not have a true "stereo" tuner by hooking its output to an oscilloscope and comparing the TWO-channel traces from that tuner to a true stereo source.

The oscilloscope test proved the Polaroid had a two-channel tuner, but it could not reproduce a TRUE STEREO signal (a mono channel plus a "difference" channel, which shows two different traces on an oscilloscope).

Most TVs and other equip. report an audio signal as "Stereo" when that signal is really only two identical channels.
post #9 of 63 Old 11-09-2006, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabjxo View Post

Many people confuse "mono" (a SINGLE channel) with our typical ref. to a "stereo" signal, even tho' that "stereo" signal may be only two-channels, L and R, both outputting the same audio signal.

Someone proved that an early Polaroid did not have a true "stereo" tuner by hooking its output to an oscilloscope and comparing the TWO-channel traces from that tuner to a true stereo source.

The oscilloscope test proved the Polaroid had a two-channel tuner, but it could not reproduce a TRUE STEREO signal (a mono channel plus a "difference" channel, which shows two different traces on an oscilloscope).

Most TVs and other equip. report an audio signal as "Stereo" when that signal is really only two identical channels.

Right that was "trhouse" who did the testing over at videohelp. The reason I opened the question again was because of the Polaroid support response. I'd like to see that same test on a newer model. The "cousin" of the Polaroid, the Philips, has a stereo tuner.

edit - I asked the question again because my television reported both stereo or mono depending on the channel. I would assume if it was two channel mono then it would report one or the other. Not either/or depending on the channel.
post #10 of 63 Old 11-09-2006, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

Pioneer model has to have a true stereo tuner for that kind of money right?

What about that Philips you are talking about. How is that?
post #11 of 63 Old 11-09-2006, 05:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextoo View Post

Right that was "trhouse" who did the testing over at videohelp. The reason I opened the question again was because of the Polaroid support response. I'd like to see that same test on a newer model. The "cousin" of the Polaroid, the Philips, has a stereo tuner.

edit - I asked the question again because my television reported both stereo or mono depending on the channel. I would assume if it was two channel mono then it would report one or the other. Not either/or depending on the channel.

Without an oscilloscope, one way to tell if an audio signal is "two-channel-mono" or what many call "stereo" (many TVs) is to turn the Balance control (if the device has one) all the way L and R and see if the audio just reduces in level by about half or stays the same*. If so, the source is two-channel "stereo." If the sound changes from, say, drums to horns, or some such, then the signal is true stereo. I think we've pretty well corrupted the term "stereo" in the consumer world.

*That's how my system reacts. My video and audio input all go thru my Pio 640, which defaults to "Stereo" and "L" channel for dual mono sources. When I turn my Balance control all Left, when the TV is showing a "Stereo" program, the sound does not change (or hardly at all?). When I turn the Balance all the way Right, the audio level just decreases by about half...no diff. in "sound" like true stereo in either position, L or R...even tho' the TV displayed a "Stereo" program.
post #12 of 63 Old 11-09-2006, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Pioneer model has to have a true stereo tuner for that kind of money right?

What about that Philips you are talking about. How is that?

My choice between the Philips and the polaroid would be the Polaroid.

Remember that the stereo/mono issue with the Polaroid is only limited to the coax tuner input. If you plan on using composite, s-video, or component video inputs along with the audio red/white inputs then the Polaroid is stereo.
post #13 of 63 Old 11-09-2006, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabjxo View Post

Without an oscilloscope, one way to tell if an audio signal is "two-channel-mono" or what many call "stereo" (many TVs) is to turn the Balance control (if the device has one) all the way L or R and see if the audio just reduces in level by about half. If so, the source is two-channel "stereo." If the sound changes from, say, drums to horns, or some such, then the signal is true stereo. I think we've pretty well corrupted the term "stereo" in the consumer world.

Yes I could not agree more. The funny thing here is that I never use the coax tuner input for recording (regardless of brand) so for me it really doesn't apply. I'm just curious if the original tests on the earlier production model still applies. The model trhouse used was an earlier model with the external fan grill on the back panel of the Polaroid.
post #14 of 63 Old 11-09-2006, 05:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextoo View Post

Yes I could not agree more. The funny thing here is that I never use the coax tuner input for recording (regardless of brand) so for me it really doesn't apply. I'm just curious if the original tests on the earlier production model still applies. The model trhouse used was an earlier model with the external fan grill on the back panel of the Polaroid.

Your "Franken-Roid" doesn't need a stereo tuner...just a few atomic particles to operate just fine!
post #15 of 63 Old 11-09-2006, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

AFAIK every "STEREO" Tuner I've ever seen also came with SAP (Second Audio Program).

Now maybe some of this junk from China has changed this though?

So I would say to look for the SAP on the Polaroid & if it doesn't have it then it probably doesn't have a STEREO Tuner either.

But if I was you I would spend the extra money & get the Pioneer for peace of mind it's a nice quality unit
post #16 of 63 Old 11-09-2006, 09:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill1313 View Post

AFAIK every "STEREO" Tuner I've ever seen also came with SAP (Second Audio Program).

Now maybe some of this junk from China has changed this though?

So I would say to look for the SAP on the Polaroid & if it doesn't have it then it probably doesn't have a STEREO Tuner either.

But if I was you I would spend the extra money & get the Pioneer for peace of mind it's a nice quality unit

The Polaroid can record SAP thru its tuner 'cause it's a two-channel tuner...that's all that's needed for SAP...it doesn't need to be true "stereo."
post #17 of 63 Old 11-10-2006, 02:01 AM
AVS Special Member

If you are "choosing between the Polaroid at Walmart and the Pio 640", that is like comparing a Chevrolet with a Toyota. I have tested the Walmart HDD Polaroid and although it records well, it sucks in editing and many other features ad nauseam. There is absolutely no comparison- Pio HDD 640 kills the Walmart HDD Polaroid. Do not EVEN consider these two in the same breath or sentence.

The Lab called: Your Brain is ready.
post #18 of 63 Old 11-10-2006, 03:38 AM

I think you'd be happy with either.

If I had to but a replacement HDD DVD recorder right now, I'd go get the Polaroid. It's not a perfect machine in terms of frilly features, and the mono tuner is disappointing, but it's not the end of the world.

Of course, at this very moment, I speak from a pricing point of view. I have something else I'd like to buy, so I'd rather not dump excess money into something I may not truly need, or could survive without.

So I guess it comes back to what you listen to your shows on. Not to mention quite a few tv shows are mono anyway, not true stereo.

The Polaroid LSI does a good job at encoding clean quality video, especially from VHS tapes. But just recording off tv, pick either one.

Either choice is surely an upgrade from VHS, remember that too!

Blank DVD Media Review: http://digitalfaq.com/reviews/dvd-media.htm
DVD Recorder Reviews: http://digitalfaq.com/reviews/dvd-recorders.htm
If you want my advice, PM me with a link to your post.
post #19 of 63 Old 11-10-2006, 06:01 AM
AVS Special Member

I have both the Polaroid and the Pioneer and I can recommend both.
post #20 of 63 Old 11-10-2006, 07:08 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I just bought the Polaroid. I'm happy with it. Would have liked the Pioneer, but the upgrade-ability (is that even a word?) and some CP issues (or lack thereof) of the Polaroid, plus the $100 cheaper price tag won me over. I also like the fact that I can return it if I want without hassle. It is worth the $220.

I know it is not in the same league as the Pio, but all I want to do is simple recording and storing on a hard drive. That's it.
post #21 of 63 Old 11-10-2006, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, I am heading towards Polaroid now.

Questions:
I have a Digital 8mm camcorder and would like to convert them into DVD via firewire. How is the quality of video of this machine compared to the Pioneer? Reason I ask because I heard some recorder produce horrible quality DVD (grainy).

How is the DVD drive? Since it's going to replace my current DVD player, I want one is good to play all my movies and don't want one that "lags".

Thanks again everybody!
post #22 of 63 Old 11-10-2006, 06:25 PM
Advanced Member

The only thing I can say is, buy one and try it out. Walmart has a great return policy. The closet Pioneer I could find was 60 miles away and was $170 more ($389ish).
post #23 of 63 Old 11-10-2006, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Okay, I am heading towards Polaroid now.

Questions:
I have a Digital 8mm camcorder and would like to convert them into DVD via firewire. How is the quality of video of this machine compared to the Pioneer? Reason I ask because I heard some recorder produce horrible quality DVD (grainy).

How is the DVD drive? Since it's going to replace my current DVD player, I want one is good to play all my movies and don't want one that "lags".

Thanks again everybody!

I think Chris has offered the best advice. At this point I would try to get my hands on one or the other and see what your own observations are. Report back because anything anybody observes is valuable!
post #24 of 63 Old 11-10-2006, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter

There are many Walmarts around me that have this model. However, I am not the type of person that likes to buy things and return them because I just want to "rent" or try it out. I'd rather find out beforehand by reading and getting information from owners.

Could anybody just confirm the quality of DVD this model makes? Plus, the quality of the DVD drive.
post #25 of 63 Old 11-10-2006, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There are many Walmarts around me that have this model. However, I am not the type of person that likes to buy things and return them because I just want to "rent" or try it out. I'd rather find out beforehand by reading and getting information from owners.

Could anybody just confirm the quality of DVD this model makes? Plus, the quality of the DVD drive.

The Polaroid uses an LSI domino chipset for recording which some have claimed is the best for a consumer DVD recorder.

But there are many features that only you can determine may be important to you. I would read through both the Polaroid and Pioneer 640 threads in this forum.

As difficult (?) as it may sound the decision is yours - nobody can make it for you. And I do not believe it is possible to ever find out "beforehand".

Make the plunge and report back your results!

This is not a major purchase. Walmart does accept returns. I would not let this be the determining factor in your decision.
post #26 of 63 Old 11-10-2006, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The quality of the DVD that this model burns is fine. And the quality of the DVD drive is fine too.
post #27 of 63 Old 11-11-2006, 06:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I know where you are coming from. I try to do my research beforehand as well. However, if you are spending $235 (after tax) on a piece of electronic equipment, and it doesn't live up to your standards, then why keep it? Plus it's Walmart.

I have absolutely no qualms about returning items that I purchase that don't perform. I work hard for the money I receive, and I'll be damned if I'm going to waste it on junk. Nothing gets me going than buying something and later finding out it is shoddy.

Traditionally speaking I've always tried to stick with Pioneer equipment, however, I just couldn't justify a purcahse of the 640 which was 44% more than the Polaroid for what I wanted to do (simple recording to the HD). This was going to be integrated into a secondary HT system since an HDMI-equipped DVDR would have cost me upwards of $500 (and no local distributors). If the PIO would have had HDMI, then I most likely would have bought one, but that, in addition to not having a local seller, put me off. Now, if I could have picked one up for $300 locally, I would have bought it.

Believe me, the Polaroid is lacking in many aspects, it certainly doesn't have a lot of bells and whistles. And yes, it does have a kind of cheap feel to it...... But it works fine for me. I know where the extra $170 goes in the Pioneer.

Plus, I can upgrade to an external HD! (Thanks Nextoo!)

Chris
post #28 of 63 Old 11-11-2006, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Ruhl View Post

I know where you are coming from. I try to do my research beforehand as well. However, if you are spending $235 (after tax) on a piece of electronic equipment, and it doesn't live up to your standards, then why keep it? Plus it's Walmart.

I have absolutely no qualms about returning items that I purchase that doesn't perform. I work hard for the money I receive, and I'll be damned if I'm going to waste it on junk. Nothing gets me going than buying something and later finding out it is shoddy.

Traditionally speaking I've always tried to stick with Pioneer equipment, however, I just couldn't justify a purcahse of the 640 which was 44% more than the Polaroid for what I wanted to do (simple recording to the HD). This was going to be integrated into a secondary HT system since an HDMI-equipped DVDR would have cost me upwards of $500 (and no local distributors). If the PIO would have had HDMI, then I most likely would have bought one, but that, in addition to not having a local seller, put me off. Now, if I could have picked one up for $300 locally, I would have bought it.

Believe me, the Polaroid is lacking in many aspects, it certainly doesn't have a lot of bells and whistles. And yes, it does have a kind of cheap feel to it...... But it works fine for me. I know where the extra $170 goes in the Pioneer.

Plus, I can upgrade to an external HD! (Thanks Nextoo!)

Chris

Great points but I would not undersell the Polaroid. I personally believe the build is solid. It does have a simple menu system but this may actually be good for most people. Most of the bad reports about editing were becuse of the early bad remotes. With the right remote editing is simple and easy. It is limited but for most this may also be good.

I've got good/bad news for you about an HDMI DVDR. I picked one up (actually 2) on e-slay when Dealtree was liguidating the Toshiba RD-KX50. The KX50 is the XS52 only with an 80GB HDD. Or put another way it is the XS32 with HDMI output and upscaling. I was stunned when I opened the boxes and found out the units were new. Never unpacked. I got in early before a lot of people figured what was going on and the prices then started running up to $150. My investment on average was $61.00 per piece. So there are good deals out there for and HDMI DVDR. I'm going to use these as I used my R-2's - recording widescreen HD at 480i through the Polaroid (component inputs). These units can set the widescreen flag.
post #29 of 63 Old 11-11-2006, 07:20 AM
Advanced Member

Yep, I guess the only thing that has a "cheap" feel to it on the Polaroid would be the remote. You're right, the unit itself has a pretty solid feel to it. The tray seems good, and everything else works fine. A few items here and there that I would like to see on the Polaroid, but hey, for $220 I can't complain.

How many DVDRs do you own nextoo? Nice find on the Toshibas. How do you like them?
post #30 of 63 Old 11-11-2006, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Ruhl View Post

Yep, I guess the only thing that has a "cheap" feel to it on the Polaroid would be the remote. You're right, the unit itself has a pretty solid feel to it. The tray seems good, and everything else works fine. A few items here and there that I would like to see on the Polaroid, but hey, for $220 I can't complain.

How many DVDRs do you own nextoo? Nice find on the Toshibas. How do you like them?

Too many. But what I don't use/need wind up as great deals for family/friends or e-slay. My net investment after the dust clears is not that great. I actually make a few dollars sometimes. If I had to count right now off the top of my head I would have to say 12. Which means the herd is ready to be thinned out.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page