post #91 of 254 Old 01-25-2007, 04:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by sivartk View Post

Remember back in the day before TV's were cable ready? You had to rent a STB. (One with a dial and no remote...from what I remember)

Yes, those were the good old days for the cable companies -- they were able to charge you a fee for every TV you had hooked up to their service. Remember when the telco's used to charge you a fee for an extension handset (I'm revealing my age).

Well now digital is going to let them reclaim the good old days. By encrypting everything they are allowed to, once again they will be able to exact a fee from you for every TV connected to their service. And this is on top of the premium they are going to charge you for digital transmission.

You've never rented an STB. I've never paid for TV, and never will.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 254 Old 01-25-2007, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonB2 View Post

I just want to see a Black and white set for sale at target with a ATSC tuner.

-DonB2

Hey. The law is the law...
post #93 of 254 Old 01-25-2007, 08:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

I've never paid for TV, and never will.

Huh? Unencrypted OTA and commercial DVD's only?
post #94 of 254 Old 01-26-2007, 06:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

You've never rented an STB. I've never paid for TV, and never will.

Actually, since I've been on my own for 10 years, I've only paid about 12 months for "standard" cable. Basically just to have a clear signal...since apartments were not the best for mounting huge antennas. I'm not saying that I didn't live in houses where the previous owner disconnected cable service and the cable company forgot to come and physically disconnect it (5 years later), but I've only paid for 12 months of cable.

Now I just use ATSC OTA exclusively and makes friends picture quality who are still using analog signals look really bad

At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #95 of 254 Old 01-26-2007, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivartk View Post

Never have rented a STB before, but I'm assuming the fees are $5-10. I haven't seen a digital STB that you can purchase for less than $120. The one I have with ATSC/QAM tuner was about $150, but couldn't handle encrypted signals. The one's I've seen for satellite are about $300.

If cable companies are smart, they will take their "analog standard" and make it a "digital standard" (unencrypted) so that people with new TV sets won't need a STB and only people that want advanced services (PPV, etc) and old analog sets would a STB. Remember back in the day before TV's were cable ready? You had to rent a STB. (One with a dial and no remote...from what I remember)

Back to the A/B boxes! Maybe A/D for Analog/Digital ;-)

I too agree that they should make the digital equivalent of "standad analog cable" available unencrypted to subscribers!

Boldly trying a new DVR:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #96 of 254 Old 01-26-2007, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

"Back to the A/B boxes! Maybe A/D for Analog/Digital ;-)

I too agree that they should make the digital equivalent of "standad analog cable" available unencrypted to subscribers! "

I would think they are losing so much bandwidth with analog that they would jump at the chance of getting rid of it.

-DonB2
post #97 of 254 Old 01-26-2007, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

I would think they are losing so much bandwidth with analog that they would jump at the chance of getting rid of it.

They'll do that 3/09 and use the OTA analog shutdown as the excuse to do it.
post #98 of 254 Old 01-26-2007, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

"They'll do that 3/09 and use the OTA analog shutdown as the excuse to do it. "

By the way I read where one independent Cable company put up a banner with a couple of paragraphs stating at least the way I read it, that HD was overstated and that customers are happier with NTSC.

I found this hard to believe. I wish I had a copy of the banner.

The only thing I can figure is the cable company has not yet put the money out for digital conversion.

-Donb2
post #99 of 254 Old 01-26-2007, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

"Back to the A/B boxes! Maybe A/D for Analog/Digital ;-)

I too agree that they should make the digital equivalent of "standad analog cable" available unencrypted to subscribers! "

-DonB2

Especially now that they would need to increase their HD channels to compete with the "100 HD channels in 2007" campaign of the satellite people (DirecTV I think).

Boldly trying a new DVR:
post #100 of 254 Old 01-26-2007, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

"

The only thing I can figure is the cable company has not yet put the money out for digital conversion.

There's no money to put out - almost all material is already received in digital by the cable cos. They have to actually dumb it down (and use up BW) to NTSC for cable subs.
post #101 of 254 Old 01-29-2007, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

"There's no money to put out - almost all material is already received in digital by the cable cos. They have to actually dumb it down (and use up BW) to NTSC for cable subs."

Interesting.

-DonB2
post #102 of 254 Old 01-29-2007, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker19 View Post

There's no money to put out - almost all material is already received in digital by the cable cos. They have to actually dumb it down (and use up BW) to NTSC for cable subs.

I worked in the DTH satellite industry (Primestar/DIRECTV/DISH) for many years. More than one "ma and pa" cable company was caught receiving their channels via a DTH service and then rebroadcasting those channels to their analog cable subscribers. Sometimes the channels would go off the air and viewers would see a DIRECTV customer service phone number. Viewers would call in and complain their cable was out. You can understand the confusion that created at the DIRECTV call centers.
post #103 of 254 Old 01-29-2007, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

Just to clarify this when the cable-co's receive digital signals from sat or local providers they are modulated in something other then QAM, so the cable-co's must demodulate them to baseband and remodulate them using QAM or analog at the proper frequency to fit the cable-co channel plan. And at this time (in baseband) you can add local insertion ads.
post #104 of 254 Old 01-29-2007, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

"More than one "ma and pa" cable company was caught receiving their channels via a DTH service and then rebroadcasting "

As in they were not paying for the rights to do this?

-DonB2
post #105 of 254 Old 01-29-2007, 02:33 PM

Quote:

"More than one "ma and pa" cable company was caught receiving their channels via a DTH service and then rebroadcasting "

As in they were not paying for the rights to do this?

-DonB2

Exactly! They were just subscribed with a regular subscriber account! Some of them had a receiver hooked up for each channel that they 'carried' on their local cable system. They would just leave the receiver tuned to that channel and rebroadcast it locally.

HITS (Headend in the Sky) provides a service like this to cable companies...but other cable companies tried to jury-rig their own solutions for a lot less. It worked...but was against the law.
post #106 of 254 Old 01-29-2007, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCbridge View Post

Just to clarify this when the cable-co's receive digital signals from sat or local providers they are modulated in something other then QAM, so the cable-co's must demodulate them to baseband and remodulate them using QAM or analog at the proper frequency to fit the cable-co channel plan. And at this time (in baseband) you can add local insertion ads.

For an ATSC signal the cable co just has to transcode to QAM - which I assume is simpler than demod/remod. Same for a signal that they have in its original MPEG2 form (sat).
post #107 of 254 Old 01-30-2007, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

MorrisonHiker,

You answered my second question that I was just about to post. And that question was if the Mom and Pops would have to have a separate dish account for each channel going out to the customers and you answered that for me.

Thanks,

Don
post #108 of 254 Old 01-30-2007, 07:57 AM

Quote:

MorrisonHiker,

You answered my second question that I was just about to post. And that question was if the Mom and Pops would have to have a separate dish account for each channel going out to the customers and you answered that for me.

Thanks,

Don

Not a separate account for each channel, but at least an additional receiver for each channel, yeah. They didn't necessarily carry ALL their channels this way...but it was a cheap (and illegal) way for them to carry some of the premium and sports channels.
post #109 of 254 Old 02-04-2007, 08:30 PM

Any news yet on when these things are coming out? I just purchased a JVC HD monitor (no tuner) and I think it and a DR787T may be becoming very good friends in the near future.
post #110 of 254 Old 02-05-2007, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

I got such a Canned response from LG the last time I emailed them that I have no interest in checking a second time.

But from other posts I am hearing April May time frame for most DVD ATSC recorders. This includes Panasonic and Samsung.

-Donb2
post #111 of 254 Old 02-05-2007, 12:15 PM

post #112 of 254 Old 02-05-2007, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

LG won't have any recorders with hard drives?
post #113 of 254 Old 02-05-2007, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfan View Post

LG won't have any recorders with hard drives?

So far no one has announced a 2007 recorder with a hard drive for the North America/USA market :-(

There is the expensive BluRay thing from Sony but that's more of a PC hybrid and 4-figure price...

Boldly trying a new DVR:
post #114 of 254 Old 02-05-2007, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Isn't this Hard drive as found on another post-but not LG:

a8vdeluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by a8vdeluxe
Why buy just a tuner when you can get this.......http://www.pvrwire.com/2007/01/31/t...media-streamin/

Apparently has no QAM, but is the future of home HD recorders.

Here's another link: http://www.engadgethd.com/2007/01/3...g-but-the-disk/

This blows away the simple DVD recorder/Tuner option!!!

-Donb2
post #115 of 254 Old 02-05-2007, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

The '...'s in your links are breaking them.
post #116 of 254 Old 02-05-2007, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkart View Post

The '...'s in your links are breaking them.

I think he meant these units

Quote:

We highly doubt seeing these stateside anytime soon, if ever, but if the HD gods happen to smile upon us, we'll let you know.

Basically, just what I was asking for...sans the correct tuner (Japanese vs US)

At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it.

post #117 of 254 Old 02-05-2007, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Isn't this Hard drive as found on another post-but not LG:

a8vdeluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by a8vdeluxe
Why buy just a tuner when you can get this.......http://www.pvrwire.com/2007/01/31/t...media-streamin/

Apparently has no QAM, but is the future of home HD recorders.

Here's another link: http://www.engadgethd.com/2007/01/3...g-but-the-disk/

This blows away the simple DVD recorder/Tuner option!!!

-Donb2

Oooh I didn't know about those two! Let me do some revisionist history to my previous post so it won't confuse new readers of this thread....

Their in-english Japanese/global website is is not updated with the new models, so we have to make do with the computer translations :-(

These some features I am guestimating from the Japanese computer translation:
* dual-tuner models or it can record two digital programs at the same time; not sure!
* -R/-RW/-R DL/-RAM, HDMI
* high prices,
* 39 hours on the RD-S300, 78 on the RD-S600, using 17mbps in TS mode (???) with terrestrial digital.
* advanced automatic recording with learning function - maybe Series and finding similar programs based on what you record (perhaps similar to TiVo?)
* "magic chapter" function - have no clue what this is; it looks like it may put chapter marks based on change of scenery in the video?? http://64.233.179.104/translate_c?&u...eup/magic.html
* VR mode on both DVD-RW and DVD-R DL and DVD-R even
* mpeg2
* CPRM
* the webpage has two remote controls per model ?!?!!? http://64.233.179.104/translate_c?&u...2/pr_j0102.htm

Some funny computer translations
* Knitting machine and video mode (LOL)
* we cannot recommend the mothballing to HDD
* they translate "record" to "videotaped" even though they talk about DVDs/HDDs.

Boldly trying a new DVR:
post #118 of 254 Old 02-05-2007, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

That Toshiba at 1/3 the price would be an attractive unit.
post #119 of 254 Old 02-05-2007, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

For an ATSC signal the cable co just has to transcode to QAM - which I assume is simpler than demod/remod. Same for a signal that they have in its original MPEG2 form (sat).

Actually most do demod and remod this to place the channels on the frequency plan of the local head end and to insert local commercials and news etc.

I have been to many cable-co head ends and this is what I have seen.
post #120 of 254 Old 02-05-2007, 05:33 PM

Nice. Thanks for the feedback. If the DR787T hits anywhere under about 200 bucks, I'm on it. Hopefully should be around that range, I think. Can't wait.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page