Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 254 Old 03-19-2007, 08:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by highheater View Post

I think there are other comments in the 'First ATSC/QAM tuner recorder LGDR78T' thread that indicate this HD recorders DOES NOT PASS an HD signal out. It will allow you to pull in an HD signal and down rez it to copy or output but does not pass the HD signal out even through the HDMI port. What you get is a downrezzed and then uprezzed signal out that port.

Is this true??? I would have been really dissapointed if I had braught that home and it passed an downrezzed picture.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 254 Old 03-19-2007, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Welcome to last week.
post #183 of 254 Old 03-19-2007, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adazzleman View Post

Is this true??? I would have been really dissapointed if I had braught that home and it passed an downrezzed picture.

Yes, and there has been alot of speculation on whether any of the new recorders coming out will be any different.

- Rich
post #184 of 254 Old 03-19-2007, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

I read the specs that B Buy has posted in their website for the RC797T. In one part of the Specs it says that the unit has Component IN. But in another section of the Specs it says it doesn't even mention it has it.

LG Multiformat DVD-R/-RW/+R/+R DL/+RW/RAM Recorder/VCR Combo

Model: RC797T

Inputs: analog audio, composite video, component video

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1169512521998

http://*******.com/2zp9zg

-Donb2
post #185 of 254 Old 03-19-2007, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonB2 View Post

Inputs: analog audio, composite video, component video

Debunked in the thread for the model.
post #186 of 254 Old 03-19-2007, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Not sure if you [DonB2] read this post http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&#post10045853 above, after your previous posts. The poster visually confirmed the 797 DOES NOT have component input. So that should put the speculation/confusion to rest or am I missing something? BTW - your second link appears to be broken.

Really helps to cut down on the thread noise if posters read the whole thread (or at least the posts since their last posting) or related threads before posting questions/issues that have already been settled. Not saying this necessarily applies here, but it appears to be the case - I could be wrong though, wouldn't be the first or last time...

(...biker beat me to it - ha!)

The Future ain't what it used to be...
post #187 of 254 Old 03-19-2007, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

"This is an error. I've physically seen them. they do not have component input. "

Such a post as this does not tell me for sure that indeed the poster is referring to the 797 or is referring to the 787.

Keep in mind that sivartk was misled only a post or two before by the shelf model at Best Buy.

For some reason this site deletes tiny url . com I am not sure why.

I typically try to post the actual URL as well as tiny as sometime the actual URL can be too long.

I am sorry if I have offended the bikers and ferrai's of the world.

-Donb2
post #188 of 254 Old 03-19-2007, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

No offense taken and none intended towards you. You didn't acknowledge the previous posts so I wasn't sure if you had read them - hence the comment/assumption for which I was mistaken. But I had no way of knowing for sure because it appeared that the question had been settled previously AFAIWC.

When there is conflciting infromation regarding tech specs, I tend to err on the lower tech/cost side because that's your higher probability correct answer. In this case, component inputs are rare and cost more, so based on that plus purported first hand visual accounts and some forum consensus, I'm putting my money on lack of component inputs. I tried to put my eyes on one of these units but my local BB did not have them on display.

Component input mystery notwithstanding, doesn't look the ATSC recorder of my dreams in any event. Good luck on your quest for the truth in posted tech specs - truth/accuracy are attributes that are generally lacking in consumer electronics tech specs posted online so it does often take some time consuming detective work to figure out the answer.

The Future ain't what it used to be...
post #189 of 254 Old 03-19-2007, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Has anyone else seen any information on these

Would be interesting to see if it passed the non-recorded HD signal.

At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it.

My Little Theater
post #190 of 254 Old 03-19-2007, 06:49 PM
Advanced Member

I'm still looking for a DVD-R that passes HD signals. Obviously they record in SD, but if the unit has a NTSC/ATSC/QAM tuner (all three preferred), at least one of the units should be able to allow you to view live HD signals in their native resolution. Have any been released? I'm particularly interested in the new Toshiba units but I can't remember the exact model number right now.

Krister
post #191 of 254 Old 03-20-2007, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

krholmberg,

Bikers and ferrai is it ok with you two if I post info on the Toshiba models for this guy? Or do you consider this redundant since it appears in another AVS Forum post?

Anyway krholmberg,

This is what I have on Toshiba models and I don't know how super accurate it is:

Toshiba D-R550 - QAM - 230 - March - Alt 1 Alt 2 ATSC, QAM, NTSC
$229.99, April 2007)
Toshiba D-VR650 - QAM - VHS - 275 - March super-multi-format, VCR
combo unit, ATSC, QAM, NTSC, ($279.99, April 2007)

Toshiba's entry level D-R400 single deck DVD recorder offers HDMI with
upconversion to 720p, 1080i and 1080p. It also offers one touch
recording and a DV input. The step-up model, the D-R550, adds ATSC,
QAM and NTSC tuners.

The top of the line Toshiba D-VR650 Super Multi Drive DVD recorder +
VCR combination unit offers ATSC, QAM and NTSC tuners and HDMI with
upconversion to 720p and 1080i. In addition to recording and playback
of DVD-R/-RW/+R/+RW, this model also offers recording and playback of
DVD-RAM. The D-VR650 features Toshiba's high quality DVD recorder
capabilities and a 4 Head Hi-Fi VCR capable of high speed bi-
directional dubbing. For added flexibility and convenience to
consumers, Toshiba will also offer the D-VR600 which includes the same
features as the D-VR650 without the tuners.

So it appears that Toshiba will be selling 2 DVD recorders without
tuners. The D-R400, and the D-VR600 that adds VHS.

-DonB2
post #192 of 254 Old 03-20-2007, 08:23 AM
Advanced Member

Well this still doesn't indicate if the Toshiba's will be outputting true HD signals.
post #193 of 254 Old 03-20-2007, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krholmberg View Post

...Obviously they record in SD, but if the unit has a NTSC/ATSC/QAM tuner (all three preferred), at least one of the units should be able to allow you to view live HD signals in their native resolution.

None so far -- look at some of the other threads - you'll see many of us are waiting to see if any of the recorders with ATSC/QAM tuners will passthrough native HD formats. The first ones (LG/RCA) don't.

- Rich
post #194 of 254 Old 03-20-2007, 10:02 AM
Advanced Member

It's very frustrating (as I'm sure it is for everyone). I have been looking at other threads, too, but unfortunately there aren't enough hours of the day to work and follow AVS thoroughly. I'm getting my first front PJ delivered later this month and really want to be a able to watch HD stuff on it. I'm uprgrading from small CRT TV's so I only receive analog cable... but I've heard with a QAM tuner I'd be able to watch the lower channels in HD for free since they are in the clear (and maybe a few others if lucky). Since I don't have a recording device (of any kind), I was really hoping to save a few buck and combine features. No sense in getting a DVD-R and a tuner separately if it isn't necessary. I could go always go for the Samsung DTB-H260F and a separate DVD-R, but I'd rather get both in one since I have limited rack space (and could save a little $$$)..

Krister
post #195 of 254 Old 03-20-2007, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

"but I'd rather get both in one since I have limited rack space (and could save a little $$$).. "

Same here. And I even wanted one with VHS also so I can put this combined unit in the same location that my steam powered RCA recorder use to take up.

-DonB2
post #196 of 254 Old 03-20-2007, 11:57 AM

Quote:

It's very frustrating (as I'm sure it is for everyone). ... Since I don't have a recording device (of any kind), I was really hoping to save a few buck and combine features. )..

Me too!

- Rich
post #197 of 254 Old 03-20-2007, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm getting my first front PJ delivered later this month and really want to be a able to watch HD stuff on it. Since I don't have a recording device (of any kind), I was really hoping to save a few buck and combine features.

There are several of us in the same boat as you with the same wish list. I currently have 2 devices hooked up to my projector (Sony HD DVR and Sony DVD Player), but would like to be able combine them and save my rack space for amps.

At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it.

My Little Theater
post #198 of 254 Old 03-20-2007, 01:31 PM
Advanced Member

I was just thinking... even if these come out with tuners that allow HD signals to pass unalterred if they aren't recorded... not all problems are solved. They will likely only have one NTSC/ATSC/QAM tuner, so if you're using a monitor or TV without an ATSC/NTSC/QAM tuner you won't be able to record one show while watching another. A second tuner will be necessary. Since that's the case for me, I think I'll get a standalone tuner and wait for a DVD-R/DDR device with the requisite NTSC/ATSC/QAM tuner that passes HD signals, records HD on the hard drive and downconverts only when recorded to a disk. Hell, in that case I might as well wait for HD-DVD-R or BD-R drives. Unfortunately cost really sets in then.

How would a setup like that work, though. If I have a stand alone tuner, I can't use it before or after one of these new DVD-R machines because the resolution will still be downconverted. If they aren't daisy chained, I supposed I'd have to split the signal and separately run it to each tuner, then run two HDMI's to the HDMI splitter. Add that to BD and HD-DVD players and life gets complicated. Hmm.

Krister
post #199 of 254 Old 03-20-2007, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

none of the current DVDR's have dual tuners, so I don't think many are looking for that at this point.

My Little Theater
post #200 of 254 Old 03-20-2007, 02:27 PM

Quote:

I was just thinking... even if these come out with tuners that allow HD signals to pass unalterred if they aren't recorded... not all problems are solved. They will likely only have one NTSC/ATSC/QAM tuner, so if you're using a monitor or TV without an ATSC/NTSC/QAM tuner you won't be able to record one show while watching another. A second tuner will be necessary. Since that's the case for me, I think I'll get a standalone tuner and wait for a DVD-R/DDR device with the requisite NTSC/ATSC/QAM tuner that passes HD signals, records HD on the hard drive and downconverts only when recorded to a disk. Hell, in that case I might as well wait for HD-DVD-R or BD-R drives. Unfortunately cost really sets in then.

How would a setup like that work, though. If I have a stand alone tuner, I can't use it before or after one of these new DVD-R machines because the resolution will still be downconverted. If they aren't daisy chained, I supposed I'd have to split the signal and separately run it to each tuner, then run two HDMI's to the HDMI splitter. Add that to BD and HD-DVD players and life gets complicated. Hmm.

My setup is strictly OTA and I think the most useful feature would be to record a program and watch another program from the disc. I understand this is possible when using DVD-RAM discs on some of the DVDR models (or, of course, get a unit with a hard drive in it).

For those of you with DVDRs that can record and play simultaneously how often do you use this feature for time shifting live programming and skipping commericals? Or do you find it's more of a novelty and find yourself watching HD programming live in 720/1080 resolution?

Like most others reading this thread I would really like one box that can act like an STB + DVDR. My 4th gen tuner (SIR-T451) has multipath issues and I'm hoping one of these new Samsung or Panasonics will fit the bill.
post #201 of 254 Old 03-20-2007, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acteng View Post

For those of you with DVDRs that can record and play simultaneously how often do you use this feature for time shifting live programming and skipping commericals? Or do you find it's more of a novelty and find yourself watching HD programming live in 720/1080 resolution?

My DVD recorder is SD-only, but I find the time-shift feature to be really useful. I hardly ever watch live TV anymore - I either pre-record the whole thing and then come along to watch it after the fact, or I wait for the show to get a 15 to 20-minute head start and the watch it as it's recording, skipping the commercials on the way. And there are some informational programs (such as the news) that I often use the "1.5X speed" feature on - you can watch 60 minutes of programming in 40 minutes of time.

These are definitely more than gimmicks, in my opinion - they're valuable time management features. I can't image that HD would alter their value.
post #202 of 254 Old 03-20-2007, 08:23 PM
Advanced Member

Which DVD-Rs have the time-shift feature?

Krister
post #203 of 254 Old 03-20-2007, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

Which DVD-Rs have the time-shift feature?

I can't speak for the other manufacturers and models, but I know that the Pioneer 640 has it.
post #204 of 254 Old 03-20-2007, 08:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 307
The chase-play feature for time-shifting is incredibly useful and the major reason I bought a DVDR. Like Sean, I rarely watch live TV anyore and chase-play is the only way I'll watch a football game -- I start to watch 40 min after it starts and catch up to real time by the end. However, I can't see it being all that useful on a non-HDD model. Single disk recorders simply don't have the recording capacity to be generally useful for chase-play -- 2hr at SP mode or suffer the degraded picture quality of 4hr LP mode; EP mode is a joke and unwatchable. After all you can't decide you want to watch something you recorded the other night when the unit us busy recording on a different disk. I suppose you could make due if you had a separate DVD player that played RAM, but what's the point. If you get into chase-play you'll be kicking yourself you didn't spend the extra money for a HDD equipped DVDR.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #205 of 254 Old 03-21-2007, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 20
This may have been posted already, but if not, see the below that says all Panasonic DVD recorders will have digital tuners and some will have HDMI 1.3 as well.

http://news.ecoustics.com/bbs/messag...81/338452.html

"The truth is out there!"
post #206 of 254 Old 03-21-2007, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

what good does HDMI 1.3 do if you can't pass through a true HD signal (Broadcast, HD DVD / Blu-Ray)?

My Little Theater
post #207 of 254 Old 03-21-2007, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

From the Horses Mouth:

I have a couple of questions about the LG DVD/VCR Tuner model RC 797T.

1. Is there a downloadable user guide or owners manual available for
this device.

2. Can you tell me if it has Component IN ? The Best Buy site shows
that this unit had Component In but I am not sure.

3. Similar to a STB with and ATSC tuner? Can I use the ATSC tuner
portion to view HD 720P or 1080i signals on my HD TV via the Component
Out cables?

-Thanks in advance

Reply below from LG:

Thank you for inquiring of LG Electronics.

Your owner's manual / model specification sheet is attached. You will need the latest version of Acrobat Reader to open this pdf file.

According to our information, this unit does not have a COMPONENT INPUT. However the COMPONENT OUT will transmit your HD programming to your television. For high resolution DVD viewing, however, you must use the HDMI cable.

Please feel free to contact us with any additional questions or concerns. Thank you again for contacting LG Electronics.

Neil

E-mail Administrator

Customer Interactive Center

------------------------------------------------------------------------

BTW- I have the .pdf user guide that LG sent me if anyone knows how to attach it to this board. Well I figured it out but the .pdf is too large for this board to accept it.

-DonB2
post #208 of 254 Old 03-21-2007, 11:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmith901 View Post

This may have been posted already, but if not, see the below that says all Panasonic DVD recorders will have digital tuners and some will have HDMI 1.3 as well.

http://news.ecoustics.com/bbs/messag...81/338452.html

from Panasonic announcement ....

"While many of our competitors have introduced barebones units to avoid the expense of putting digital tuners in their models, we decided not to take that route,"

"Our research shows that a great many owners connect their DVD recorders to secondary TVs in bedrooms or dens and use the tuners in the recorders in lieu of buying and/or paying an extra monthly fee for a second or third cable box. "

"Basically, we felt it was important for all Panasonic DVD and combo recorders to continue to offer record-and-watch, and cable-box-free recording capability. Another reason and benefit to have the digital tuner built-in is the improvement in picture quality that is synonymous with digital."

Sounds like if anyone is going to pass a HD signal it will be Panasonic.
post #209 of 254 Old 03-21-2007, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by sivartk View Post

what good does HDMI 1.3 do if you can't pass through a true HD signal (Broadcast, HD DVD / Blu-Ray)?

HDMI 1.3 is not so important on a DVD player/recorder as a HD-DVD player or HD tuner/DVR, but it should provide a more stable connection, especially to other 1.3 devices, plus it is somehow capable of fixing or avoiding lip-sync, which is nice. It is just the current standard, so having it is a good thing.

"The truth is out there!"
post #210 of 254 Old 03-21-2007, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by highheater View Post

from Panasonic announcement ....

"While many of our competitors have introduced barebones units to avoid the expense of putting digital tuners in their models, we decided not to take that route,"

"Our research shows that a great many owners connect their DVD recorders to secondary TVs in bedrooms or dens and use the tuners in the recorders in lieu of buying and/or paying an extra monthly fee for a second or third cable box. "

"Basically, we felt it was important for all Panasonic DVD and combo recorders to continue to offer record-and-watch, and cable-box-free recording capability. Another reason and benefit to have the digital tuner built-in is the improvement in picture quality that is synonymous with digital."

Sounds like if anyone is going to pass a HD signal it will be Panasonic.

If Panasonic is so tuned in to their customers' wants, how come they
are not releasing any DVD recorders in 2007 with hard drives?
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page