DVD recorders with digital tuners are coming! - Page 9 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #241 of 254 Old 04-04-2007, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
the panny will record the widescreen flag, but only on a DVD-RAM disc (just like my old Panny does -- circa 2003) So, I wouldn't say it is a conspiracy, but rather a lack of time spent on development. As mentioned many times before, these units (2007 w/ATSC tuners) look like the old models with the digital tuner added.

At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it.

My Little Theater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 254 Old 04-04-2007, 11:33 AM

Liked: 10
I believe the LG records the flag as well.

Also, Wally-World has a Magnavox unit (actually a DVD recorder and a combo DVD recorder / VCR) that, although the manual says it won't record 16:9, a thread in another forum implies that it will actually record the 16:9 program "if" the display size is set to 16:9. That is, when you play it back on a 4:3 set, it's "squished". For my own purposes, this would be fine. I may have to pick one up and check it out.

For the most part, I'd say you're right, Travis. To quote someone famous... "Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity."

"The two most abundant substances in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity. Not necessarily in that order"
post #243 of 254 Old 04-04-2007, 11:34 AM

Never noticed that. Now I've got something to research tonight. Makes sense though.
What do you think the pirateers use to record their bootleg copies with? Or are none of them in widescreen?
post #244 of 254 Old 04-04-2007, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimSH View Post

Also, Wally-World has a Magnavox unit (actually a DVD recorder and a combo DVD recorder / VCR) that, although the manual says it won't record 16:9, a thread in another forum implies that it will actually record the 16:9 program "if" the display size is set to 16:9. That is, when you play it back on a 4:3 set, it's "squished".

Then it isn't recording the flag. It is recording the 16:9 aspect, but not the flag.

If it records the flag, then playback will be like the following (assuming your DVD player's output aspect matches the TV's aspect)

16:9 program on 4:3 TV will be letterboxed with DVD player output set to 4:3 letterbox ("bars" on top and bottom)
16:9 program on 4:3 TV will be full screen cropped with DVD player output set to 4:3 Pan and Scan
16:9 program on 16:9 TV will fill the screen
4:3 program on 4:3 TV will fill the screen
4:3 program on 16:9 TV will be pillar boxed (bars on sides)

With the flag at no time should you see a distorted image unless of course you DVD player is not set up correctly.

At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it.

My Little Theater
post #245 of 254 Old 04-04-2007, 12:16 PM

I can live with that. I'm not archiving long term, I'd just like to be able to timeshift the digital broadcast (yes, I'll not see the best quality) and be able to play it back in the original 16:9 format. I can easily adjust the aspect ratio of the TV if necessary.

According to the manual, it won't record 16:9. According to their support people it will record "whatever is displayed on the screen". Choices for video setup are 4:3 P&S, 4:3 w/letterbox or 16:9.

I think I'm going to have to buy one to find out for sure what the deal is.

"The two most abundant substances in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity. Not necessarily in that order"
post #246 of 254 Old 04-04-2007, 12:23 PM
Advanced Member

Toxic, I did check out the receiver on Pioneer's web site. It says something about controlling Pioneer Plasma TVs "and a hoist of other added benefits", so you might wanna check it out. I am really curious, because I keep reading about it, but never actually got to try it. My own receiver (an older Philips) has something called "cinema link", that's supposed to control other compatible gear, but I never got a Philips TV with the feature.
post #247 of 254 Old 04-06-2007, 08:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 117
The purpose of the 16x9 flag is.............?

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #248 of 254 Old 04-06-2007, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

The purpose of the 16x9 flag is.............?

To ensure that your burned DVD will play back the image properly on both a standard (4:3) TV and a widescreen (16:9) TV. This will prevent image distortion. In short, a widescreen program will play full screen on a 16:9 TV and the black bars will be added on a 4:3 TV. Without the flag, on a standard TV (4:3), the image is compressed horizontally....resulting in tall and skinny people :P

My Little Theater
post #249 of 254 Old 09-19-2007, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

ToxinMaker,

Are you talking about the link that connects your Pioneer Plasma to your Pioneer receiver?

If so I am using that connection with my Pioneer set up.

-DonB2
post #250 of 254 Old 09-30-2007, 03:12 AM

I'm not pleased with SONY recently. I bought an RDR-VXD655 DVD recorder/VCR combo and it was DEFECTIVE right out of the box (not open box or refurb). ANY DVD, whether burned by me or a purchased movie, showed "digital artifacts" in the picture--black dots, yellow or green pixel-looking marks. When viewing an all-black screen on a DVD, it was like watching the opening of The Matrix with all the green pixels all over the screen. Seems like Sonys are now "Made in China" (were previously made in Japan or Malasia) and along with cutting costs on production, they're now using substandard electronic components in their products. BOO to Sony! You lost my "brand loyalty"!!
Other than my dud unit, I liked the features and the VHS portion of the unit worked wonderfully, and the digital tuner pulled in stations without a problem (even though it takes 20 minutes to scan through them on setup). The upconversion of the images wasn't bad. My only other gripe is that Sony does not use DVD-RAMs as RECORDABLE media. If you want to erase/rewrite, you're stuck with CD /-RWs, which are NOT as flexible for recording/erasing as DVD-RAMS. I'm buying a Panasonic DMR-EZ47K for a friend, and may just keep it. Panasonic DOES allow DVD-RAM recording, and I've always been pleased with my old Panasonic DVD/HDD recorder. My old Panasonic (DMR-E85H) has been a champ for three years, even though others with this model have had some problems (see afterdawn.com forums), never right out of the box!! I guess nothing is perfect, but I expected more from Sony.
post #251 of 254 Old 09-30-2007, 07:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

It's only a overated name.................

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
post #252 of 254 Old 10-01-2007, 04:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

That can be said across the board with almost everything.
Americans are cheap and it is hurting quality as manufactures are looking to cut costs further. How cheap do you want things?

post #253 of 254 Old 10-02-2007, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghCoyote View Post

I'm not pleased with SONY recently . . . Seems like Sonys are now "Made in China" (were previously made in Japan or Malasia) and along with cutting costs on production, they're now using substandard electronic components in their products. BOO to Sony! You lost my "brand loyalty"!!

Not entirely Sony's fault (although their original decision to go to china is their fault). It appears well established now that chinese manufacturers will unilaterally downgrade designs and substitute cheaper components to fatten their margins. Does anyone really think Mattel specified the use of lead paint for their children's toys? -- just one, albeit very public, example.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #254 of 254 Old 10-18-2007, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Probably the only product that China will not slip lead into is Lead Acid car batteries since they will want to save on the lead.

-DonB2
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page