Funai Strategy- Undercut,Price Low & Take Over The DVDR Market... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-27-2006, 11:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
AND Be a loss leader- they have to be losing money per unit. Volume will correct in their opinion. The SV 2000 models at Walmart. I have to hand it to this Japanese firm that of course manufactures in China as all do now. They are flooding the American market with their DVD Recorders. I have not tested them but you cannot disagree with my premise. They have 40-50 units in most Walmarts this Thanksgiving and Black Friday- of both kinds of DVDR's: $79-DVD Recorder only and a DVD Recorder that has VHS transfer capability for $99(Combo DVD/VHS). They claim to record and play all formats except DVD-RAM which would include DVD+R/RW and DVD-R/RW and play them. Great marketing strategy IMHO. They have set a new price level and many consumers will buy them at this price. Now the user interface- I may buy one to check that out because THAT is critical. Let's face it- if Average Joe can work it, and it performs as good or somewhat better than VHS, everything else is peripheral. I am going to buy both and check them out. Both units ONLY record 4 speeds(afaik) unlike their Magnavox Sams Club and Magnavox Walmart units(6 speeds) which even has SP+(2.5 hour record) and that I have tested AND is a very good DVDR without VHS combo for 99 bucks.

The Lab called: Your Brain is ready.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2006, 01:13 AM

That is what WalMart is looking for; they tried Liteo, Ilo, Cyberhome... looking for that cheap price good for many sales. Cheap recorders and cheap media will in the end hurt the DVD Recorder reputation.
Old 11-28-2006, 01:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

This may be so but look at the VHS market in the 1980s- It is essentially the same EXCEPT back in 1978-1983 they really tried to manufacture VHS Recorder quality- all units were made in Japan . I think the VHS market and manufacturers either learned a lot about marketing and/or did not about quality. To think that today a laser DVD Recorder Combo with VHS transfer is available at 99 bucks is incredible. In 1999-2001 -quality VCRS alone were going for 150 bucks. Incredible. This recording market blows ones brains. What people do not even know is that there was no DVD player until 1997. DVD movies came on in 1997. Recorders in 1999-2000.

Old 11-28-2006, 02:02 AM

true in time the DVD recorder makers will get their act together. They must find it hard to keep up with all the changes in media types and speeds. Ten years ago a HiFi VHS VCR costs twice what a DVD recorder costs now.
Old 11-28-2006, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

HoustonGuy, When I saw the SV 2000 was going to be a Black Friday Item I downloaded the Owners Manual & I think it has a "Nice Set Of Recording Modes" In fact better than most of the recorders out there except for the Panny's & Pioneer's with their Flex Modes.

SV 2000 RECORDING MODES:
HQ = 1 Hour
SP = 2 Hours
SPP = 2 1/2 Hours
LP = 3 Hours
EP = 4 Hours
SLP = 6 Hours

I think these Recording Modes are a lot better than some of the other Funai models that have 8 hour & 10 Hour Modes instead of the 2 1/2 & 3 Hour modes & who wants longer modes & poorer picture quality anyway? Looks like Funai is listening to what people want in recording modes.

If you do a search here under "Sylvania" you should get a Test Report that was posted on a Finai recorder & if I remember right it was a positive report too.

The Funai Owmers Manuals can be found at www.funai-corp.com

Anyone know what the "Regular" Wal-Mart price is on the SV 2000? Thanks.
Old 11-28-2006, 10:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked: 465
It will be curious to see what the prices will be when they are forced to include ATSC tuners in March '07.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Old 11-28-2006, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

From what I understand they will be able to sell them with & without HD Tuners & Funai probably won't include the ATSC Tuner until China is cranking them out for next to nothing & most people are not really going to need the ATSC Tuner anyway because their Cable or Sat company will provide converter boxes or whatever.
Old 11-28-2006, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill1313 View Post

From what I understand they will be able to sell them with & without HD Tuners & Funai probably won't include the ATSC Tuner until China is cranking them out for next to nothing & most people are not really going to need the ATSC Tuner anyway because their Cable or Sat company will provide converter boxes or whatever.

And remember that ATSC is only for over the air broadcasts. With this tuner you'll be able to get your local broadcast stations - that's it.
Old 11-28-2006, 04:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked: 465
Quote:

Yes, but don't forget. As of March 2007 if it has a tuner it has to have at least ATSC. Otherwise, it can't have any tuner at all. I don't know of any units sold without tuners, for whatever reasons people won't buy them. So come March you can bet they will have ATSC tuners. I wonder what the price will be then.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Old 11-28-2006, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nextoo View Post

And remember that ATSC is only for over the air broadcasts. With this tuner you'll be able to get your local broadcast stations - that's it.

Though some (I want to say 'many' but I don't have the stats) also have QAM tuners, which will allow recording of unencrypted digital broadcasts -- which include the "broadcast" stations on cable.
Old 11-28-2006, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Yes, but don't forget. As of March 2007 if it has a tuner it has to have at least ATSC. Otherwise, it can't have any tuner at all. I don't know of any units sold without tuners, for whatever reasons people won't buy them. So come March you can bet they will have ATSC tuners. I wonder what the price will be then.

Though they could go the route of the Tivo dual tuner -- don't allow OTA analog broadcasts, but still do cable ready analog.
Old 11-28-2006, 11:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

HoustonGuy, When I saw the SV 2000 was going to be a Black Friday Item I downloaded the Owners Manual & I think it has a "Nice Set Of Recording Modes" In fact better than most of the recorders out there except for the Panny's & Pioneer's with their Flex Modes.

SV 2000 RECORDING MODES:
HQ = 1 Hour
SP = 2 Hours
SPP = 2 1/2 Hours
LP = 3 Hours
EP = 4 Hours
SLP = 6 Hours

I think these Recording Modes are a lot better than some of the other Funai models that have 8 hour & 10 Hour Modes instead of the 2 1/2 & 3 Hour modes & who wants longer modes & poorer picture quality anyway? Looks like Funai is listening to what people want in recording modes.

If you do a search here under "Sylvania" you should get a Test Report that was posted on a Finai recorder & if I remember right it was a positive report too.

The Funai Owmers Manuals can be found at www.funai-corp.com

Anyone know what the "Regular" Wal-Mart price is on the SV 2000? Thanks.

Bill- I believe the walmart spec list on the combo said only 4 speeds but either I or the wamart site could be wrong- I would think the manual would be right as you said if that was for both SV2000 models.

Old 11-29-2006, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

The SV2000 (Funai WV20V6) has 6 recording modes (1, 2, 2.5, 3, 4 and 6 hr). The manual can be found by clicking here.

If this is the same as the Wal-Mart SV2000, then it does have 6 recording modes.

RG
Old 11-29-2006, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

The Manual above is the CORRECT manual for the Wal-Mart SV 2000 DVD/VCR Combo & the model number is WV20V6.

JUST GUESSING ON THE MODEL NUMBER:
W = Wal-Mart
V = VCR
20 = Funai Model Number
V = Video
6 = The Model Year 2006

As far as Wal-Mart's Specs. on electronic products go they only seem to be hit or miss so I would'nt pay much attention to them.

I din't download the Owners Manual for the SV 2000 DVD Recorder so if your looking for the Recording Modes or info on that model I would download the manual because the Recording Modes & other things maybe different than the Combo unit.
Old 11-29-2006, 02:33 PM

Quote:

The Manual above is the CORRECT manual for the Wal-Mart SV 2000 DVD/VCR Combo & the model number is WV20V6.

JUST GUESSING ON THE MODEL NUMBER:
W = Wal-Mart
V = VCR
20 = Funai Model Number
V = Video
6 = The Model Year 2006

Walmart is selling these DVD and DVD/VHS recorders in Canada too (CDN$100 and CDN$140, respectively). They have a "C" prefix on the model number (e.g "CWV20V6"); presumably this stands for "Canadian".

Tony
Old 11-29-2006, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arciervo View Post

Walmart is selling these DVD and DVD/VHS recorders in Canada too (CDN$100 and CDN$140, respectively). They have a "C" prefix on the model number (e.g "CWV20V6"); presumably this stands for "Canadian".

Tony

My Cyberhome 1600 is failing to recognize, format and finalize discs. Walmart might exchange mine for a SV 2000.

Will the SV2000 play AVI or divx? The cyberhome does, when it is not hot.

The cyberhome will play well only when cool. They should have installed a PC fan!!!
Old 11-30-2006, 09:56 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Here's something interesting:

Funai introduced the first $99.99 VCR, under the Symphonic Brand, in 1997.

Funai introduced the first $99.99 DVD/VCR combo player, under the Sylvania Brand, in 2003.

Funai introduced the first $99.99 DVD recorder, under the Magnavox brand, in 2005.

Funai introduced the first $99.99 DVD recorder/VCR combo, under the SV2000 brand, in 2006.

So, what's next from Funai?
Old 11-30-2006, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

InYourEyes, If I remember right Cyberhome was the frist DVD Recorder to go for under $100 & Orion was the first VCR to go for under $100 but I think on the Combo units Funai was the first to go for under $100

Funai also had their own Sylvania brand (Plus Other Names) DVD recorders out last year for under $100 before they came out with this years Magnavox model & believe it or not Brands Mart USA had the Sylvania DVD Recorder for as low as $59.88
Old 11-30-2006, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by InYourEyes View Post

So, what's next from Funai?

Hopefully these, in rapid succession:
  • the first $99 DVD recorder with hard drive
  • the first $99 Bluray player
  • the first $99 Bluray recorder
  • the first $99 Bluray recorder with hard drive
Old 11-30-2006, 10:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Sean- Good point- but a more distinct possiblity(for your type units) in the years( in sequence) 2007-8, 2013, 2016, 2018. I am not kidding. I believe that 99 bucks or close to it will be achieved under these years for your type units as you posted.

Old 12-05-2006, 05:34 PM
Advanced Member

So you're tried the SV2000 DVD Recorder without VHS/VCR also?
Old 12-05-2006, 10:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipstir View Post

So you're tried the SV2000 DVD Recorder without VHS/VCR also?

No - I have not tested any SV2000 unit yet.

Old 12-17-2006, 11:28 AM

I purchased this unit last week. It worked fine to record from television and watch - can anyone help me with information how to get a dvd burnt from my computer to play on this machine? Thanks!
Old 12-17-2006, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Check out VideoHelp.com, they have a Guides section, one is on how to Author a DVD on a PC.
Old 12-18-2006, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Nelson View Post

Hopefully these, in rapid succession:
  • the first $99 DVD recorder with hard drive
  • the first $99 Bluray player
  • the first $99 Bluray recorder
  • the first $99 Bluray recorder with hard drive

* first $99 BluRay/HD-DVD combo recorder with full support of SD media types as well!

Boldly trying a new DVR: http://moto3416review.blogspot.com/
Old 12-19-2006, 05:30 PM
Advanced Member

I've pick this up WV20V6, this is the model in Japan below..

Same as above but with 160GB HDD
Old 12-20-2006, 09:07 AM

Purchased the SV2000 (WV20V6) from Wal-Mart last evening (Dec 19, 2006). I was able to successfully record a show from HBO On-Demand to DVD. Now the fun begins... I inserted a home movie I recorded in 1991. Followed the instructions for VHS to DVD dubbing. Dubbing begins, and about 6 minutes in the process completely stops with an error message on the screen: E25 - Cannot copy protected content. Pushed the stop button, and then restarted the dubbing process. 15 minutes later another E25 - Cannot copy protected content. message. Called Funai (Dec 20, 2006) and they told me they can do nothing about this and to take the unit back to point of purchase for a refund! I'll be taking this unit back to "wally world" for a refund tonight.

Anybody know of a good VCR/DVD recorder that will copy home movies to DVD?
Old 12-20-2006, 10:40 AM

I have never been a fan of combo units, you can try Dimax site they may have an answer.
Old 12-21-2006, 04:27 PM
Advanced Member

It's double the price of the Funai SV2000 WV20v6 though but it supports Divx and Dual Layer Media to record from VHS Hi-Fi Stereo. Samsclub has this one though...
Old 12-21-2006, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Well you can give the Magnavox Combo unit a shot at Wal-Mart but if I was you I would buy one of the Panasonic units if your looking for a quality unit. I've seen the Panny DMR-ES35V Combo Unit for around $225