NEW @ Walmart RCA DRC-8030N - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 506 Old 03-01-2007, 03:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone knows how to use the "TV FUNCTION" buttons at the bottom of the Remote? The manual doesnt explain.

Thanx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 506 Old 03-01-2007, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyz View Post

Can someone tell me if this unit will accept or copy material from a Tivo unit?

billyz

As long as it's not copy protected it's the same as any other video source.
post #273 of 506 Old 03-01-2007, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevolones View Post

Anyone knows how to use the "TV FUNCTION" buttons at the bottom of the Remote? The manual doesnt explain.

Thanx

My guess is they only work with an RCA TV.
post #274 of 506 Old 03-01-2007, 04:14 PM

Yes, but does the unit allow for its connection to its Input?
Thanks for the reply!
billyz
post #275 of 506 Old 03-01-2007, 05:05 PM

Inputs on the RCA are limited to composite and RF coax. Don't know what your Tivo has. If you have to use coax, be aware many have complained about rolling lines in their picture using the tuner.

Whoops! I forgot to mention the S-Video connection!
post #276 of 506 Old 03-01-2007, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masochrist View Post

What you're looking for is " Finalize disc" under "disc actions". Some DVD Recorders call it "Make compatible". And you won't find the option if you use +RW.

As far as your problem with reading discs on your PC, I would try a different brand of disc (TY or Verbatim) and if that doesn't work maybe a new DVD drive in the PC. I used to have problems like yours with discs from my polaroid till I switched to an NEC 3550A. Never had a disc from the RCA that my PC wouldn't work with 100%.

Masochrist, you hit the nail on the head. I didn't know "finalize disk" and "make compatible" is the same thing. Dummy me!
What theewizard mentioned (in his last reply, after this reply of yours) is still not visible at the bottom of the screen.
But, glad to tell you friends, my problem HAS BEEN SOLVED, all disks are now playing in my PC. The problem was, I was trying to play in Windows Media Player. For some reason, WMP was not playing these DVDs. Then I tried WinDVD, and Voila, it plays like a charm.

BTW, have you guys noticed that the picture quality in the burnt/recorded disks deteriorate considerably (even at optimum #1 setting)?

Thanks to ALL OF YOU for your help.

Regards,
Skywalker
post #277 of 506 Old 03-01-2007, 06:47 PM

For what its worth I was able to return mine tonight - I purchased on 12/29 so it was a little over 60 days. I would expect the full 90 day return period is in place.
post #278 of 506 Old 03-01-2007, 08:46 PM

Quote:
BTW, have you guys noticed that the picture quality in the burnt/recorded disks deteriorate considerably (even at optimum #1 setting)?

record in #2 OR #3 mode on the HD for TV movies and they will transfer perfectly

when a 2 hr program recorded in the 1hr mode #1 on the HD, the on the fly ( real time ) compression conversion royally screws up the video, createing a 'washed out' effect to light with no contrast or color depth

when stuck with 2 or more hrs of (1 movie ) in the #1 mode, it is best to split the video into parts, and burn multipile discs in the 1 hr mode, to prevent this wash out

to prvent this from happening record in 2hr or 3 hr mode
post #279 of 506 Old 03-02-2007, 02:01 PM

On earlier parts of this thread, some had mentioned that manufacturers would be coming out with new offerings in March. Does anyone have an idea of what to expect, and when? I hesitate to put out the cash for the RCA unit now, given the tuner problems, etc., if something better is on its way. I am not looking for the top of the line stuff, just something that will let me leave the world of VCR tapes behind...

thanks
post #280 of 506 Old 03-03-2007, 08:18 AM

Dan,

This thread has some information on the new models.

Bill R
post #281 of 506 Old 03-12-2007, 09:42 AM

I was curious if anyone knows of any degradation issues in the HDD-DVD copy. I was thinking of buying this unit to 'upload' my home movies, then copy them off to DVD. Since the upload will incur some quality loss due to encode, I was curious if the subsequent copy also recoded the video. Also curious if there are any editing features, such as the ability to leave out pieces of video by 'marking' them.
post #282 of 506 Old 03-12-2007, 07:23 PM

I've been thinking about the video washout problem. For example when converting on the fly to lower quality to make video fit onto a DVD. When you do this the video becomes very washed out.

Here is a work around. Hook the S-video output to one of the s-video inputs. Connect audio cables too. Set a timer for the input at the lower quality setting. Then play the video you want to record. I've only tested it for five minutes but the results are great. It is HD intensive since both videos are on the HD but it sure beats having to split a title on 2 DVDs.

I still love this thing! But am hoping for an ATSC HD unit one day.
post #283 of 506 Old 03-15-2007, 08:57 AM

Just wanted to join and throw in my two cents here about more expensive supposedly better brands.

I bought a panasonic dvd recorder with hard drive years ago. It crapped out after a year.

Yes silly me i bought a newer panasonic one, this one lasted almost 2 years. Luckily I bought the circuit city plan so they fixed it, a week later it broke again, so they gave me a different open box one, it is broken, so they gave me another, also broken, so they credited me back all my money and let me order a brand new one online, still has most fo the problems of the open box items.

I am taking it back, and getting my money back, then i dont know what the frack I am going to buy, maybe this rca one.
post #284 of 506 Old 03-16-2007, 08:54 PM

What is this digital transition? Does it mean all cable TV across the country will be a digital signal, even currently non-digital channels?
What does it mean for this device? Does it mean the internal tuner will be useless and I'll have to use it through the digital cable box's tuner? cause I want to hook up a splitter somehow so I can watch something while the DVR records something else...
post #285 of 506 Old 03-16-2007, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayFox777 View Post

What is this digital transition? Does it mean all cable TV across the country will be a digital signal, even currently non-digital channels?
What does it mean for this device? Does it mean the internal tuner will be useless and I'll have to use it through the digital cable box's tuner? cause I want to hook up a splitter somehow so I can watch something while the DVR records something else...

From what I know, analog cable won't go away, but the OTA analog will vanish. As long as your cable company continues to do analog...that's ok.

For us OTA folks, yes, the tuner will be useless in 2009.

Right now, I'm pumping an Svideo signal from my USDTV ATSC tuner into the bugger to record shows in HD. It works, and that's what I wanted to do.
post #286 of 506 Old 03-23-2007, 12:43 AM

Hi, I bought one of these DRC8030N units new on ebay and found this forum while I was waiting for it to arrive so I new some what, what to expect from this machine.
I really do like it. I've only heard the thumping noise once and placing my hand on the unit stopped it. Hmmm.

I've burned my first DVD with this unit (copy from the HDD) and was stumped at the outcome.
I burned some tv shows and found that they all listed in the exact reverse of the order that they were burned onto the DVD. When I play the DVD in another unit, the last track is first in the menu and playing stops after that one plays. If I go to the last on the menu (which was the first burned) they all play and in the order that they were burned. (backwards from the MENU selections).

Anyone else notice this?
post #287 of 506 Old 03-23-2007, 10:20 AM

it's a top down list

like some forums

the last entry is listed at the top, but if you choose the first entry ( bottom of list ) everything plays correctly

the recordings are listed the same way on the HD menu 'video library' the last thing recorded is at the top of list

and when you split videos on the hard drive , it does the same thing, the 2nd half is listed before the frist half

there is nothing that can be done about it.
post #288 of 506 Old 03-23-2007, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrybpsu View Post

. . . Right now, I'm pumping an Svideo signal from my USDTV ATSC tuner into the bugger to record shows in HD. It works, and that's what I wanted to do.

This is far from an area of my expertise, but I thought that S-Video was capable of transmitting up to 480i (i.e., SD).

- ooofest
post #289 of 506 Old 03-23-2007, 11:35 PM

How do I hookup this and the cable box separate? (so I can record something on the DVR while I watch something else on the box) I have plenty of coaxial cables, 2 audio/video cables, a splitter, and an A/B switch. Is there anything else I need?

The problem seems to be that the coaxial connectors in the DVR are only for passing the signal supposedly... If that weren't the case, then I'd have this figured out already. OR... maybe (hopefully) I'm confused... just WHAT does pass-through only mean? someone please confirm... I need specific clarification of what it means to configure my new setup.

I'm wondering... is the coaxial out-dvr + in-tv really necessary? or is that A/V cable from the DVR to the TV able to send the cable signal back and forth?
post #290 of 506 Old 03-26-2007, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Has anyone else had problems with lip sync. I recorded continuously from one station from around midnight until 7 am. I then split the title between each of the shows. It may be this caused the sync problem, but I don't know for sure. (yet)
post #291 of 506 Old 03-26-2007, 10:03 AM

The cheap tuner is a problem with this recorder. Call the RCA 1-866-775-0976 sevice department and tell them about the problem. They will give you a case number so you can return the set to their factory for a new tuner that works. They should recall all of these sets and replace the tuner in them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cariwagner View Post

I can't believe this. I do have rolling lines and now it is annoying the carp out of me. Some stations it is very subtitle and some it is very obvious. I did not try out every station yesterday. But having rolling lines on ABC is going to be a problem.

Darn it!

post #292 of 506 Old 03-26-2007, 10:11 AM

Quote:

it is annoying the carp out of me

I would think this is a good thing
post #293 of 506 Old 03-26-2007, 10:14 AM

Are you saying they'll put in a higher quality tuner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim55avs View Post

The cheap tuner is a problem with this recorder. Call the RCA 1-866-775-0976 sevice department and tell them about the problem. They will give you a case number so you can return the set to their factory for a new tuner that works. They should recall all of these sets and replace the tuner in them.

post #294 of 506 Old 03-26-2007, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

I think they mean that when you play a DVD , or a show from the hard drive, the signal (for the show) does not go out the coax connector to the tv. It has to go out through the component, composite, or s-video jacks.

I don't have cable, but here's some ideas. Could be wrong.

With the coax connected to the RCA before the cable box, you should be able to tune in and record unscrambled shows. When you play them, you will need one of the above mentioned connectors to send audio and video to the tv.

The coax that goes from the RCA to your cable box will allow you to use the cable box the same as you have been without the RCA unit.

This might allow you to record an unscrambled channel and watch a scrambled (or unscrambled) at the same time.

If you connect the RCA after the cable box, you can record descrambled channels, but if you also want to watch a second show, you will need to split the coax feed before the cable box and send it to a second tuner. (Perhaps one built into the tv.)

Simple ! Right?

Quote:

How do I hookup this and the cable box separate? (so I can record something on the DVR while I watch something else on the box) I have plenty of coaxial cables, 2 audio/video cables, a splitter, and an A/B switch. Is there anything else I need?

The problem seems to be that the coaxial connectors in the DVR are only for passing the signal supposedly... If that weren't the case, then I'd have this figured out already. OR... maybe (hopefully) I'm confused... just WHAT does pass-through only mean? someone please confirm... I need specific clarification of what it means to configure my new setup.

I'm wondering... is the coaxial out-dvr + in-tv really necessary? or is that A/V cable from the DVR to the TV able to send the cable signal back and forth?

post #295 of 506 Old 03-26-2007, 12:41 PM

Thanks, kbgl. I'll try that.

jim55avs, do you really think they'll actually recall these units? And it will take 2 weeks to get another one if I do this? Will I have to pay for shipping? Do I need the Walmart receipt (I lost it)? I'll wait to see how this replacement goes for someone else before I consider calling the customer service dept.
post #296 of 506 Old 03-26-2007, 02:00 PM

Quote:

jim55avs, do you really think they'll actually recall these units? And it will take 2 weeks to get another one if I do this? Will I have to pay for shipping? Do I need the Walmart receipt (I lost it)? I'll wait to see how this replacement goes for someone else before I consider calling the customer service dept.

Although there are many things to like about the RCA DVR, I finally gave up and returned the unit because of the bad tuner. Too bad RCA didn't pay attention to a couple of details in the tuner like including stereo and a tuner without the rolling lines.

I bought an open box (probably used) Pioneer DVR640H-s, marked way down, and although it has none of the RCA's problems, it has some quirks of its own which are weaknesses as compared to features the RCA has, like no buffer (pause live TV) and failure to pick up show titles, even after typing them in.
post #297 of 506 Old 03-26-2007, 02:09 PM

I thought the RCA was great except for the tuner and the sluggish remote. I returned my unit and got the Sylvania 160gb at Wal-Mart ($298) a week ago and I'm much happier.
post #298 of 506 Old 03-26-2007, 04:45 PM

hmmmm I'm not getting anything more expensive right now. I only got this cause the price tag was under 200. And the tuner doesn't bother me too much... I only notice the background line-thing when I'm looking for it. I'm happy with this thing, overall... but if it can be fixed for free, I just might take advantage of that. not sure yet though.
post #299 of 506 Old 03-26-2007, 04:54 PM

Quote:

hmmmm I'm not getting anything more expensive right now. I only got this cause the price tag was under 200. And the tuner doesn't bother me too much... I only notice the background line-thing when I'm looking for it. I'm happy with this thing, overall... but if it can be fixed for free, I just might take advantage of that. not sure yet though.

The issue is will RCA really be able to fix them given the tuner has a bad design and in not stereo???
post #300 of 506 Old 03-29-2007, 12:21 PM

Hey Gang, here is the deal: Call the 1-866-775-0976 number and tell them you have a bad tuner with rolling lines. After talking you thru troubleshooting steps and determining it is really bad, they will send you a new unit with a prepaid return label. You do have to give them a credit card number to insure you return the old unit.

OR,

Return the one you have to Walmart and see if you can find a unit with the date code 5642CA. I tried several of these units and the ones with date codes 2643CA are BAD. I picked up the one with 5642CA yesterday and it works perfect. Great picture using the tuner. They are still sending me a new one for my old one, but I am using this one until I get the new one. Heck, it is so good I may even keep this one too. The unit is a pleasure to use when it works right.

Do not need receipt, but do have to tell them date you bought it...

Quote:

Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page