Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 506 Old 05-18-2007, 08:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloBeau View Post

BUT, because I spent so much time Wednesday reading all the posts I missed buying an 8030 on eBay for $147.00 DELIVERED!

That just might be a blessing in disguise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 506 Old 05-18-2007, 09:44 AM

Liked: 10
True, but the main word here is TRY and hope I don't get a lemon. Besides what alternatives do I have for a DVR <$200 w. the features the 8030 has? If you have one let me know. Please. I haven't seen anything else (especially new models w. digital tuners) configured like this one. Actually I started out looking to replace the DVD/VCR for Mom that just died. Hoping to replace the tapes w. the DVR function.
post #363 of 506 Old 05-18-2007, 10:36 AM

BTW it was the DVD/VCR that just died. LOL
post #364 of 506 Old 05-18-2007, 11:19 AM

Quote:

Hi Folks, First, thanks to everyone for their insight of the 8030. All of the information was greatly appreciated and I had decided to try one. BUT, because I spent so much time Wednesday reading all the posts I missed buying an 8030 on eBay for $147.00 DELIVERED! I have only found 2 in one store in the Raleigh NC area @ $198. + 7% =$211.86. Dang.

Hmm.. you must not be bidding right.... I have seen a bunch of them sold for average of 100 bucks...about $20 shipping. Last month they were selling for around $80-$90 bucks, with many going unsold for 99 bucks, so it looks like the price has gone up a little for some reason.

It is a great recorder... only problem is the tuner just not up to par. I went thru 3 of them before I found one that is acceptable, though the tuner is still not as good as my other RCA Recorder.
post #365 of 506 Old 05-18-2007, 12:32 PM

Jim, The 8030s for auction don't say new, used, or refurbs; I sent mail asking , but haven't heard from the sellers yet. Also. the last 2 that sold on auction went for $168 & $181 delivered. I am a little wary about the ones that don't say NEW. I want to make sure I get a full warranty if I get one. I can get one on the WallyWorld Web site for $202.76 w. tax & delivery w. a full warranty and I can return it locally if I need to.
post #366 of 506 Old 05-18-2007, 04:39 PM

Quote:

Jim, The 8030s for auction don't say new, used, or refurbs; I sent mail asking , but haven't heard from the sellers yet. Also. the last 2 that sold on auction went for $168 & $181 delivered. I am a little wary about the ones that don't say NEW. I want to make sure I get a full warranty if I get one. I can get one on the WallyWorld Web site for $202.76 w. tax & delivery w. a full warranty and I can return it locally if I need to.

I would suggest you buy from Walmart... you can use it for 89 days and take it back for a full refund...

If you buy on Ebay you will have to pay shipping to you and shipping back if you get a bad one.
post #367 of 506 Old 05-19-2007, 06:38 AM

Quote:

I want to make sure I get a full warranty if I get one. I can get one on the WallyWorld Web site for $202.76 w. tax & delivery w. a full warranty and I can return it locally if I need to.

LOL... You still more convincing? Man, oh man.... this one is a no-brainer...
(saying tongue & cheek; not in a flaming way..)
post #368 of 506 Old 05-19-2007, 07:13 AM

?Tommy, Yes, but which DVR would you recomend for a elderly person on a bubget? Mom has basic cable w. no boxes. She's going to get a $60 Mag DVD/VCR player anyway , BUT, I really would like her to have DVR features in a recorder. I have Dish and was debating on getting an 8030 for myself. Suggestions please before they are all gone!
post #369 of 506 Old 05-20-2007, 08:29 AM
Kex
AVS Special Member

Quote:

... which DVR would you recomend for a elderly person on a bubget? Mom has basic cable w. no boxes. ... I really would like her to have DVR features in a recorder. I have Dish and was debating on getting an 8030 for myself. Suggestions please before they are all gone!

Hi SoloBeau, glad your mother is doing well after that remark further up LOL!

I would not recommend this unit for an elderly person, unless they are especially technophile (rather than technophobic, which is more usual in my experience). In the case of your mother, with no STB, I would clearly not recommend this unit after reading the posts here about tuner issues.

For yourself, using Dish, I used one with Dish for a short time (per previous posts al long way up this thread) and, I have to say, that if I could find another for $150-175, I would buy it. In fact I might still grab one of the last ones from Wal-Mart web with 97c shipping and the possibility to return it to the store if there are any issues. Since I had no need for the tuner, I found the unit was excellent for:
- time-shifting and/or chase playback
- watching a recorded program while recording another
- recording saved programs to DVD without changing PQ setting

Nothing else is really useful, including, unfortunately, editing out commercials IMHO (but there is a 30 second skip button).

I have not got the impression from other threads on this forum that other units (Polaroid, Philips, Panasonic) costing $300 or more are any better (and may not even be as good in some aspects).

When using a STB for signal, eliminating the need to use the unit's tuner, this probably is the only way to get basic DVR functions without paying a monthly fee. Maybe other members can suggest another solution.
post #370 of 506 Old 05-20-2007, 03:57 PM

Kex, Actually I should have mentioned earlier that I was considering routing the signal thru her new DVD/VCR, using that tuner.
post #371 of 506 Old 05-20-2007, 05:11 PM
Kex
AVS Special Member

Well, Solo, that would be one way to fix it, but I am wondering how complex that is going to make channel changing. You could, of course, get a universal learning remote with macros such as the eight device Sony RM-VL600 that I use (about $25). In this case, you could not only program a macro button (of which there are four) to turn on the TV, the DVD/VCR and the RCA DVR with one touch, as well as setting the correct input selections; but also, you could "teach" the remote to change channels on the DVD/VCR (since you are using that tuner) when using the DVR so your mother would not have to think which remote is doing what to get it to work. I set mine up like this with the Dish receiver too, so I never needed to use the Dish remote or RCA remote at all.

That does seem like a lot of trouble though and you will then have two DVD players, her new DVD/VCR and the DVD recorder included in the RCA 8030 unit. I guess that is something you will have to consider and decide!
post #372 of 506 Old 05-23-2007, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevolones View Post

Hello, Im very interested in this unit but i have some questions for the ones who have bought it.

It seems the HDD can be replaced but was it simple?
DOes it have something to transfer data to PC like USB or FireWire.

Another thing...in my place Walmart is gonna sell it DEC 24 @ $240 (Puerto Rico).
Its 40 bucks more than in US but its still good.

L8R,
Kev

YOu can pick up one Ebay for $99.99 plus shipping.
post #373 of 506 Old 05-23-2007, 01:21 PM

Quote:

?Tommy, Yes, but which DVR would you recomend for a elderly person on a bubget?

That matches my scenario perfectly... I'm gettin' elderly, and I most certainly am on a (very tight) budget!
post #374 of 506 Old 05-24-2007, 11:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim55avs View Post

YOu can pick up one Ebay for $99.99 plus shipping.

Thanks for the heads-up, ... my eBay ($99 + $13 SH) package was just shipped this morning via UPS w/tracking # & website link!

Since the auction didn't say "NEW" anywhere, ... I'm guessing that this is a Manufacture Re-Certified (sounds better than Re-furbished I guess) RCA DVD Recorder W/ 80GB HDD DVR DRC8030N unit, which is fine since the latest FW updates and/or service notes / unit issues would be implemented during the Re-Certification process. I'll know for sure once I receive the unit sometime next week.

This will replace the HDTV** time-shifting duties from my $79 Samsung DVD-VR330 DVD Recorder/VCR Combo with TV Tuner (Refurbished) Unit that is still operating great w/no major issues. I'll continue to use the Samsung to archive my Super 8mm HiFi & VHS family / sports (49'ers Five Superbowls, including Divisional & Championship Playoff) video tapes > DVD-R's.

TUNER:
ALL Digital Tuner Duties is handled thru my **RJTech Digital w/QAM Tuner Box (service $14 Comcast Limited Basic Cable / coax only - no box) via S-Video Cable. I'll use an S-Video Splitter to connect the RJTech video to both Samsung & RCA units and the same route w/RJTech Tuner box R&L Audio, using a RCA-plug Y-Splitters which basically allows me the option to record my HD*** 16x9 Cable shows (***downconverts 720p & 1080i = 480 while maintaining the clear & 16x9 aspect ratios w/NCIS, CSI, The UNIT, Bones, etc.) w/DPL stereo surround sound on either units.

More to come later.
Phil
post #375 of 506 Old 06-01-2007, 04:03 PM
Advanced Member

Received my eBay RCA DVD Recorder W/ 80GB HDD DVR DRC8030N unit yesterday and my guess was correct, ... it's a MFG. Re-Certified (Refurb) Unit. The MFG. Box has seen better days, ... the RCA UNIT was completely wrapped with air-bubble packs and it included the User Manual, Remote and cables.

Once I unpackaged it, ... the RCA Unit looked clean and nice, but there was a small dent on the top cover. I covered the dent with my RJTech Digital w/QAM Tuner Box so, ... I can live with it!!!

CONNECTIONS:
I connected it up to my RJTech Digital w/QAM Tuner Box - providing S-Video and RCA-plug R&L Audio OUT (DLP Stereo) to the following respective INPUTs ...

1) RCA DRC8030N
2) Samsung DVD-V330

I even connected the COAX from the Samsung DVD-V330, so the RCA Tuner would have a signal - no lines disturbed the analog video so, ... it was no better or worse than the Samsung DVD-V330 analog tuner.

USE & IMPRESSIONS:
Without reading the Manual, I setup the RCA Date & Time, AUTO scanned the Cable channels and then viewed the "LIVE 2" program playing from the RCA analog tuner.

My RJTech Digital w/QAM Tuner Box was ON @ CH. 5-1 CBS-HD and I examined the RCA Remote and found the "INPUT" button and changed INputs = LIVE in1 and the 16x9 widescreen & 4x3 images looked great - not bad considering I'm using an S-Video Splitter.

I changed the RJTech Digital w/QAM Tuner Box channel to 9-1 (PBS KQED-HD) and pressed the "REC" Button twice and after around 5 mins. or so, ... I check out the HDD recorded image and @ #1:BEST speed, the HDD PQ was as good as the 16x9 widescreen HD broadcast.

Next, I compared the 480i PQ vs. 480p by pressing the Remotes "VIDEO OUT" button and decided that either one looked A-OK upscaled by my Toshiba 62HM196 1080p, ... so I just left it @ 480p.

Now, how to delete the recorded HDD show??? I finally read the manual and I deleted the 1st sampled HDD recorded KQED-HD show.

I changed the RJTech Digital w/QAM Tuner Box channel to 93-13 (MultiPlex) and setup a Timed Recording via the "MENU" ("TIMER / ADD TIMER") options. I recorded "DUNE" - all 2:40 hrs and everything worked as it should. Again, the HDD PQ @ #1:BEST speed looked as good as the broadcast.

Using my RJTech Digital w/QAM Tuner Box is definitely far superior vs. the built-in fuzzy grainy 4X3 analog RCA tuner!!! (or Samsung DVD-V330 analog tuner for that matter!)

While "DUNE" was playing, I pressed the "INFO" button on the Remote and jumped 2:00:00 hours ahead by typing the numbers in the "TIME COUNTER" screen and that was pretty cool - since it jumps ahead based on your inserted time Immediately after the last second is pressed - you don't even see the last second # on the screen, ... it just jumps to that time slot! Impressively faster than doing the same option from a recorded TV show on my DVD +RWs (via Samsung)!

Talking about DVD +RWs, ... I put in a Memorex +RW DVD and formatted it with no issues - haven't recorded or used the HDD > DVD +RW yet, ... maybe sometime this weekend.

Finally, I Calibrated the Video (Toshiba 62HM196 Component #2) using the SD DVD side of my HD DVD Digital Video Essentials and then watched the HD montage of images and the Video Calibrated 480p colors, shadows, blacks and PQ detail was excellent - so the DVD is A-OK in my book!

So far, everything is working great and as I type this, my RCA is recording 3 different time slot HD shows on KQED-HD CH. 9-1 this afternoon and I'm looking forward watching those 16x9 HD shows.

Later, I'll setup the "MENU / TIMER / ADD TIMER" to record "Numb3rs" tonight and "Star Trek Original Series" (w/new CGI) @ Saturday 11:00pm.

More to come later after I get to use / learn / play with it more but so far, ... I'm very happy with it!!!

Phil
post #376 of 506 Old 06-05-2007, 06:11 AM

Kex, thx for the heads up on the Sony vl600. Thinking about giving one a try. I have TOO many remotes. Some of which I paid TOO much and hate.

Well, Mom called cable and they installed their PVR STB and it works fine for her. I just hate she's paying another fee ($8.00 mth.).

I'm still debating on the DRC8030N for myself.

Thanks again to everyone for their insight, Tom
post #377 of 506 Old 06-05-2007, 07:04 AM
Kex
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Kex, thx for the heads up on the Sony vl600. Thinking about giving one a try ...

You can check out some of the details here and read some reviews too:

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Sony-...oductDetail.do

Otherwise, Sony is now selling it as an "outlet product" for $14.99 (with free shipping until Thursday 06/07). Try this link:

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921665092997

Quote:

Well, Mom called cable and they installed their PVR STB and it works fine for her. I just hate she's paying another fee ($8.00 mth.)

I know how you feel. Along with Verizon, they seem to be constantly trying to find more ways to get money from us. But well, over two years, that is about $200. Certainly equivalent to the RCA, but there may be other choices out there by then that might be a better fit longer term. She can always change her mind later if there is none of those dreaded lock up periods!

Quote:

I'm still debating on the DRC8030N for myself ...

You might also want to look at this Philips thread ... the units sound very promising, but they are proving hard to find right now, and it does cost more.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=830253

Otherwise, if you live close to a Wal-Mart, you could order one online and try it for a while. You have 90days to return it for a full refund (except the $0.67 shipping of you don't choose "site to store")
post #378 of 506 Old 06-10-2007, 02:47 PM

Re: RCA DRC-8030N

I just logged in to say I found this forum after finding this unit at Walmart-dot-com ..
I really enjoyed reading through all the comments

I see they now show out-of-stock, but I was able to pick one up at a local
store, and it rang up for $167 ..

I haven't had a lot of time to play with it, but my initial impression is favorable ...
It looks like it will suit my needs in this regard, and let me move away from
my VCR for recording shows I don't want to miss..

I have seen some comments about the quality of the tuner, but it doesn't seem to be any worse than my Sony VCR .. The recorded content certainly looks better than VHS, even at the level 4 quality setting..

It looks like a good deal if you can get your hands on one..
post #379 of 506 Old 06-11-2007, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondRepair View Post

I have seen some comments about the quality of the tuner, but it doesn't seem to be any worse than my Sony VCR .. The recorded content certainly looks better than VHS, even at the level 4 quality setting.

Do you see faint vertical light colored lines moving across the screen when viewing darker video through the tuner/"live" TV? (ie: during the black segments between commercials)
post #380 of 506 Old 06-12-2007, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aguyatthebeach View Post

Do you see faint vertical light colored lines moving across the screen when viewing darker video through the tuner/"live" TV? (ie: during the black segments between commercials)

Now that you mention it, I do see something. Worse on some channels than others.

I have analog cable on this unit, and all the channels aren't that great anyway ..

For my purposes, it still seems to be a good value..
post #381 of 506 Old 06-12-2007, 01:34 PM

I have had mine two months now. Very similar experience as Phil's. Am very satisfied with it. I have the Samsung DTB-H260F tuner, though. If I could get the timer working on there, too, I could get the tuner to turn to the channel to record with the RCA's timed recordings. As it is now, you have to go to Live in 1 and either press record or set a timer and you will record to whatever is on Live in 1. Must have something to do with TWC not sending the EPG information along.

Coshocton Ohio Walmart must have had a dozen of these on the AV close-out stack for $185, as of yesterday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by piturra View Post

Received my eBay RCA DVD Recorder W/ 80GB HDD DVR DRC8030N unit yesterday and my guess was correct, ... it's a MFG. Re-Certified (Refurb) Unit. The MFG. Box has seen better days, ... the RCA UNIT was completely wrapped with air-bubble packs and it included the User Manual, Remote and cables.

Once I unpackaged it, ... the RCA Unit looked clean and nice, but there was a small dent on the top cover. I covered the dent with my RJTech Digital w/QAM Tuner Box so, ... I can live with it!!!

CONNECTIONS:
I connected it up to my RJTech Digital w/QAM Tuner Box - providing S-Video and RCA-plug R&L Audio OUT (DLP Stereo) to the following respective INPUTs ...

1) RCA DRC8030N
2) Samsung DVD-V330

I even connected the COAX from the Samsung DVD-V330, so the RCA Tuner would have a signal - no lines disturbed the analog video so, ... it was no better or worse than the Samsung DVD-V330 analog tuner.

USE & IMPRESSIONS:
Without reading the Manual, I setup the RCA Date & Time, AUTO scanned the Cable channels and then viewed the "LIVE 2" program playing from the RCA analog tuner.

My RJTech Digital w/QAM Tuner Box was ON @ CH. 5-1 CBS-HD and I examined the RCA Remote and found the "INPUT" button and changed INputs = LIVE in1 and the 16x9 widescreen & 4x3 images looked great - not bad considering I'm using an S-Video Splitter.

I changed the RJTech Digital w/QAM Tuner Box channel to 9-1 (PBS KQED-HD) and pressed the "REC" Button twice and after around 5 mins. or so, ... I check out the HDD recorded image and @ #1:BEST speed, the HDD PQ was as good as the 16x9 widescreen HD broadcast.

Next, I compared the 480i PQ vs. 480p by pressing the Remotes "VIDEO OUT" button and decided that either one looked A-OK upscaled by my Toshiba 62HM196 1080p, ... so I just left it @ 480p.

Now, how to delete the recorded HDD show??? I finally read the manual and I deleted the 1st sampled HDD recorded KQED-HD show.

I changed the RJTech Digital w/QAM Tuner Box channel to 93-13 (MultiPlex) and setup a Timed Recording via the "MENU" ("TIMER / ADD TIMER") options. I recorded "DUNE" - all 2:40 hrs and everything worked as it should. Again, the HDD PQ @ #1:BEST speed looked as good as the broadcast.

Using my RJTech Digital w/QAM Tuner Box is definitely far superior vs. the built-in fuzzy grainy 4X3 analog RCA tuner!!! (or Samsung DVD-V330 analog tuner for that matter!)

While "DUNE" was playing, I pressed the "INFO" button on the Remote and jumped 2:00:00 hours ahead by typing the numbers in the "TIME COUNTER" screen and that was pretty cool - since it jumps ahead based on your inserted time Immediately after the last second is pressed - you don't even see the last second # on the screen, ... it just jumps to that time slot! Impressively faster than doing the same option from a recorded TV show on my DVD +RWs (via Samsung)!

Talking about DVD +RWs, ... I put in a Memorex +RW DVD and formatted it with no issues - haven't recorded or used the HDD > DVD +RW yet, ... maybe sometime this weekend.

Finally, I Calibrated the Video (Toshiba 62HM196 Component #2) using the SD DVD side of my HD DVD Digital Video Essentials and then watched the HD montage of images and the Video Calibrated 480p colors, shadows, blacks and PQ detail was excellent - so the DVD is A-OK in my book!

So far, everything is working great and as I type this, my RCA is recording 3 different time slot HD shows on KQED-HD CH. 9-1 this afternoon and I'm looking forward watching those 16x9 HD shows.

Later, I'll setup the "MENU / TIMER / ADD TIMER" to record "Numb3rs" tonight and "Star Trek Original Series" (w/new CGI) @ Saturday 11:00pm.

More to come later after I get to use / learn / play with it more but so far, ... I'm very happy with it!!!

Phil

post #382 of 506 Old 06-12-2007, 01:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Karp View Post

I have had mine two months now. Very similar experience as Phil's. Am very satisfied with it. I have the Samsung DTB-H260F tuner, though. If I could get the timer working on there, too, I could get the tuner to turn to the channel to record with the RCA's timed recordings. As it is now, you have to go to Live in 1 and either press record or set a timer and you will record to whatever is on Live in 1. Must have something to do with TWC not sending the EPG information along.

Just a thought...does the Samsung tuner have a clock setup feature? If so, try setting its clock manually and turning DST OFF.

The recent DST rule change is creating lots of odd problems for older machines...time-related discrepancies/conflicts that affect many ops.
post #383 of 506 Old 06-12-2007, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabjxo View Post

Just a thought...does the Samsung tuner have a clock setup feature? If so, try setting its clock manually and turning DST OFF.

The recent DST rule change is creating lots of odd problems for older machines...time-related discrepancies/conflicts that affect many ops.

Doesn't have a manual clock set. I did turn DST off to try that.
post #384 of 506 Old 06-13-2007, 08:48 AM

Hello,
My unit does have the horizontal lines issues(some local channels) and "timer error detected" every time I turn on the unit, but does record all of my shows from M-F, daily, or once without any issues. The only problem that really bothers me, is that my auto update clock no longer works and is one hour off when turned on. This started ever since DST time was moved up this year. Does anyone know of a fix or maybe a firmware update to correct this problem.

Thanks,
jmusmc1998
post #385 of 506 Old 06-14-2007, 10:23 PM

Totally unfamiliar with the DRC8030N, I found this thread trying to find out something about it. Whew! But what sent me searching was a short stack of three new machines at our Wal-Mart on CLEARANCE, marked "Was $199, Now $100."

Despite all the slurs and problems with this thing, should I snap one up tomorrow?
post #386 of 506 Old 06-15-2007, 04:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Why not? If you don't like it you can always return it. Sounds like a good deal.

RG
post #387 of 506 Old 06-15-2007, 06:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmusmc1998 View Post

Hello,
My unit does have the horizontal lines issues(some local channels) and "timer error detected" every time I turn on the unit, but does record all of my shows from M-F, daily, or once without any issues. The only problem that really bothers me, is that my auto update clock no longer works and is one hour off when turned on. This started ever since DST time was moved up this year. Does anyone know of a fix or maybe a firmware update to correct this problem.

Thanks,
jmusmc1998

The only fix for a DST problem is a firmware update that includes the new rules for DST time. See this thread for more info.

You should prob. turn DST OFF.
post #388 of 506 Old 06-15-2007, 09:31 AM
Kex
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe.Hathaway View Post

... three new machines at our Wal-Mart on CLEARANCE, marked "Was $199, Now $100."

... should I snap one up tomorrow?

If you have read the thread, and are fully aware of the limitations in terms of the tuner, no HDMI (nor any point in having any - given the max resolution output) and very limited editing, I would say "yes, get one quick!" at least to try it and see if you like it. This is especially true if you are using a set top box and will not be using the faulty tuner.

The only other obvious choice is the Philips DVDR3575H at $300. Even the Polaroid DRA-01601A, at $250 seems to have at least as many quirks as this unit, if not more.

If you want basic recording with all the advantages of a HDD, if you want automatic time shifting and chase play recording, and if you want to be able to transfer your recordings to DVD (without trying to edit out all the commercials) ... then I think you should not be disappointed IMHO.

Your only other logical choice is the Philips, for three times the price, and one or two things that even the Philips will not do as well as the DRC8030N.
post #389 of 506 Old 06-16-2007, 08:33 AM

I guess I will have to stick to manually updating it. Thanks, jmusmc1998
post #390 of 506 Old 06-18-2007, 09:28 AM

I see today an Online discounter is listing the RCA model DRC8030NB,(recertified)with 80 GB *with HDMI cable included.*

Is this a new updated model with HDMI ??
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page