NEW @ Walmart RCA DRC-8030N - Page 17 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
post #481 of 507 Old 02-18-2008, 09:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Guys - Lets not argue about the little things. As I mentioned in a previous thread yesterday. My 8030N has been working fine for almost a year. I replaced the 80GB EIDE HDD made by Samsung yesterday with a 160GB HDD that was made by Western Digital without any prblems (7 screws for the case and 4 more for the HDD slide assy. Started it up and it asked it I wanted to reformat. I told it to reformat and shortly thereafter it came up and recoginized the entire 160 GB HDD. For a test I put the 80 GB HDD back in and it picked up where it left off before.

The DVD recorder inside was made in China for Packard Bell and should not be that hard to replace if need be. Main problem would be making a new DVD drive fit in the old space but it can be done.

I also have a Panasonic DMr-EH75VS that I had the DVD drive replaced under warranty, but if it ha been out of warranty I am sure that I could have found a way to make a DVD recorder replacement.

Look forwarad to more talks on Recorders and other equipment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #482 of 507 Old 02-18-2008, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by video321 View Post

You're still here?

What makes you think a computer repair shop is qualified to repair a unit like this? You would need to bring it to an authorized electronics repair shop. Further, good luck to them being able to get the proper parts to fix it.

And you really are an idiot. All the dam thing is a real cheap computer with no keyboard or mouse. It has a computer hard drive and a computer DVD/R with a TV tuner Card.

Parts now all they would have to do is substitute another hard drive. That has already been done by someone here and it works.

Now the DVD/R from other computers will work, they just won't fit. So just use a stand alone DVD/R type. That sits outside the box or get one from RCA or who ever else now owns the company.
post #483 of 507 Old 02-19-2008, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 15
And where would you find parts for the MB???? Oh, that's right...the guy from the computer repair shop you mentioned could just order a new MB from Newegg! Do you really think these are being returned because someone on this forum can't replace a HD???

Why don't you take a minute to read some of the forums around here (since you still haven't learned how to spell or write a coherent sentence) to understand what goes on and how advanced some of the user's systems really are? Instead, you come here claiming you're soooo smart and everyone else is an idiot when in reality you sincerely don't have a clue.
post #484 of 507 Old 02-19-2008, 05:04 PM

just to prove a point that you obviously missed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanlBuc View Post

Guys - Lets not argue about the little things. As I mentioned in a previous thread yesterday. My 8030N has been working fine for almost a year. I replaced the 80GB EIDE HDD made by Samsung yesterday with a 160GB HDD that was made by Western Digital without any prblems (7 screws for the case and 4 more for the HDD slide assy. Started it up and it asked it I wanted to reformat. I told it to reformat and shortly thereafter it came up and recoginized the entire 160 GB HDD. For a test I put the 80 GB HDD back in and it picked up where it left off before.

The DVD recorder inside was made in China for Packard Bell and should not be that hard to replace if need be. Main problem would be making a new DVD drive fit in the old space but it can be done.

I also have a Panasonic DMr-EH75VS that I had the DVD drive replaced under warranty, but if it ha been out of warranty I am sure that I could have found a way to make a DVD recorder replacement.

Look forwarad to more talks on Recorders and other equipment.

post #485 of 507 Old 02-20-2008, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Once again.....you can't even read correctly!
This is truly amazing! You're parents must have a permanent flat spot on their foreheads from banging it against a wall trying to teach you as a child.

The DVD drive is not hard to replace and neither is the HD. Nobody is returning it because of those issues.

What I would love to see a "computer guy" fix is the mobo, ICs, and chipsets.
Maybe you could get the spare parts to fix it from your 84 Fiero
post #486 of 507 Old 03-17-2008, 07:02 AM

There are a lot of opinions out there on this unit, I ran accross this thread while researching something else.I worked for an authorized repair center for these units and have some actual facts for you on this to help you determine if you want one of these, or if it is worth reparing a damaged unit.

1) The unit is based on a modified version of Linux software. originally desinged for a tablet version. The motherboard is vram programed (IC208 Intel Flash Ram), there are no inputs for keyboard or mouse.

2) The ACTUAL boot software is stored on the CDR drive, NOT the motherboard vram. This was supposed to be a cheaper version of software upgrades if needed. There is NO COMPATABLE CDR on the market to replace or upgrade the CDR, period. If you look at your CDR it will have a sticker on the top, stating: Loader BDR-L** (** is the version, 03 to 08 were released, 08 being the newest).

3) The tuner is a Samsung TCSN9082PA26H. This is a software selectable NTSC/PAL and Mono,Stereo,ENCDH2 tuner. While the design was to have auto detecting mode, It was not entirely compatable with IC201 (Zoran Digital Encoder/Decoder). This was due to the Linux design software causing it to select ENCDH2 (encoded audio) when used with cable that also has broadband signal. So, instead of a new motherboard design, they simply locked the tuner (through Flash Software)to mono to produce the unit.
The tuner also is designed to input signal and process to the RCA jacks, The tuner output is simply a pass through when not using the DVDR. This being the reason many may think the unit is not working properly. If you hook the unit to the TV through the tuner only, It will show a boot screen, then appear to go blank and just show MENU on the front panel. You must view the DVDR through the RCA jacks to actually use the unit.

4) The HDD in the unit is a slave, so you can upgrade the unit with any IDE drive. It will power on, then off, when you pwr back on, it will ask to reboot or format. There were no lHDD limits as far as capacity ever listed, I suspect they figured people would only try a WD 160 gig as listed in the upgrades.

5) The cooling fan is severly undersized and the unit has very poor circulation. Most failures are heat related. For the diehard who really like the unit, create a ventelation system with new vent holes and a BRUSHLESS 3" cooling fan. If it is mounted in a rack or in a panel, remove the cover to allow better ventelation. I have measured Factory HDD's, running overnite with a digital thermometer, 195~225 Degrees F. were not uncommon.

5A) The cooling fan in the unit does not have a capacitor in circuit, and unfortunatly is mounted near the Tuner, which has tin coated covers, not lead. This is the main cause of lines in the tuner output. A polarized 470 PF cap accross the leads to the fan will remove the line 90% of the time, be sure to solder neg to neg, positive to positve....

6) The Remote... Slow? Yep.... Instead of sending the IR burst when you touch the button, and stopping when you release the button, it sends the burst for a pre determined amount of time.... Hence the seemingly slow responce. RCA remotes can learn the dvdr codes, DTV remotes will work very well.

7) The power supply is not the best design (12v/5v/-12v/-5v)... Using a step down transformer driving a transistor (T9)to create the onboard 12 volts.... ONLY! The motherboard then converts the 12 volt to a needed 5 volt (IC301) with another transistor. not a good design, and it is very "amps" limited on the 12 volt side. Some larger gig HDD's will draw more than it can produce (especially if running hot) and cause the unit to reboot over and over.

8) The question about the 60/120 minute recording many of you have, the unit will auto matically switch to 60 minute depending on the remaining amount of HDD space. Unfortunatly, the softare determines that and it seem to switch down even if only 25% of the HDD is used.... A larger HDD will help with this.

I hope some of this helps provide some insight to the unit, and quiet the hot heads. RCA knew there would be a market for a cheap version of a progressive scan DVR with some high end options, the idea was great but I think they rushed into it and put it on the market before they knew how it actually worked. Good' ol China product. When they copy something it is ok, when they design it.... wellllll......
post #487 of 507 Old 03-17-2008, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech Repair View Post

The ACTUAL boot software is stored on the CDR drive, NOT the motherboard vram. This was supposed to be a cheaper version of software upgrades if needed. There is NO COMPATABLE CDR on the market to replace or upgrade the CDR, period. If you look at your CDR it will have a sticker on the top, stating: Loader BDR-L** (** is the version, 03 to 08 were released, 08 being the newest).

Good' ol China product. When they copy something it is ok, when they design it.... wellllll......

That is really bad news since the DVD drive seems to be a lot of the failures. That's how mine failed and any attempts to change it didn't work. Although it would boot up it would not write to the disk.

Now that i think of this, you say the boot is on the CDR drive. Then why did mine boot up when i connected a lg drive to it. I could record programs to hard drive but not write them to disk. I retuned the unit last August and now caught in this mess with the company being sold. Still waiting for a replacement, refund or something.
post #488 of 507 Old 03-17-2008, 04:05 PM

If the LG drive has a redirect flash eeprom, it may re-direct to the menu/sys boot file on the MB (IC208). That would be a good thing to know, if your CDR is bad and you need to boot the system and use the HDD. But I don't belive the CDR will work, because the config/sys info is not there to properly identify the drives. That may also only work for the WD HDD. as there is no boot sector/ drive info stored on the MB...
post #489 of 507 Old 03-17-2008, 07:58 PM

You could always do what I've seen a ton of people do...... (not advising, just posting what I've seen.....

If you still have the broken unit at home, go to wal**rt and purchase one, (many still have them at 99.00 or so...) then swap the componets (or swap everything out inside) and return the original outside case, (serial number matches the receipt) with the old componets.... get a refund and have a new internal unit sitting at home, then wal**rt sends it back and waits on the refund.

Again, not saying I condone it, but I know the hassle many are getting into trying to get a proper Replacement/Refund.....
post #490 of 507 Old 03-18-2008, 05:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You could always do what I've seen a ton of people do...... (not advising, just posting what I've seen.....

Again, not saying I condone it, but I know the hassle many are getting into trying to get a proper Replacement/Refund.....

If i knew then what i know now that would have been a good option. I returned it for service last August and i'm still waiting. I haven't seen that unit in our local Walmart since i bought mine last May on clearance. I only had it about a few months when it broke, just over the 90 day return policy and only used it a few times. So i sent it in for repair, never to see it again. but who knew what was going on with the company.

I also have a Toshiba RDXS54 that died and it was just out of mfg. warranty. But i had taken an extended warranty on it so i sent it to them. They said it's too expesive to repair so they are looking for a replacement. The xs54,55 are long gone, units in high demand so i know they won't get one. You can't even find them on ebay. So the best i'll get from that, which the contact says, is original purchase price refunded. But i'm still talking to them daily. That one the dvd and hard drive are replacable but doing either didn't fix it. When i start it up it would just sit in wait status and not even boot up. It should have come up with an error code for a bad dvd or hard drive. So it must have something to do with the boot on the motheboard. That is one unit i really hate to see gone. Excellent recording/editing machine.
post #491 of 507 Old 03-19-2008, 05:47 PM

Thanks, Tech Repair, for the best first post I've ever seen. I just bought my third 8030n. The first two work perfectly, but I now intend to do something about the heat issue.
post #492 of 507 Old 03-28-2008, 05:58 PM

I replaced the DVD drive on mine when I got the permanent "hello" message on the display LED. I used a an old Philips drive from a 3 year old Dell desktop and everything worked. Machine booted up.

Despite the information written above, I have been able to not only play DVDs but burn them as well. To be fair, I will say that burning DVDs has been a little spotty (won't write to DVD-RW at all and with regular DVDs I get a lot more coasters than I'd used to with the old drive) but otherwise it works ok.

A pain getting the drive to fit. I wound up using washers for spacers and even resorted to using picture hanging wire to physically tie the thing down. Someday, I will drill holes and do it right.
post #493 of 507 Old 07-14-2008, 06:45 AM

One way to keep these units running longer is to place the HDD in a separate outside cooling case. I used a HDD Coller, and made an external cable for power and data. I have had no problems for over 6 months now. I did also replace the anemic fan inside with a case cooling fan from a pc, attching it to the top of the unit, blowing in.
LL
post #494 of 507 Old 07-14-2008, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougOrama View Post

Another thing that bugs me about this machine. If you put multiple titles on a disc it puts them in reverse order on the main menu. So if it's necessary to be sequential, copy the last title to the disc first and work back.

Is there a way to rearrange the menu after copying to disc, and before finalizing?

so, anyone has a way around this problem/issue??

I use this unit to record musical clips from the Late Shows and squeeze in like 20 titles per disc, but to play back the DVD-R in a continuous way one needs to navigated to the end (first title) and start playback from there.
post #495 of 507 Old 07-14-2008, 01:15 PM

Quote:

One way to keep these units running longer is to place the HDD in a separate outside cooling case. I used a HDD Coller, and made an external cable for power and data. I have had no problems for over 6 months now. I did also replace the anemic fan inside with a case cooling fan from a pc, attching it to the top of the unit, blowing in.

Blowing in??? In my experience the correct way is always for the fan to blow out.

By the way, that RCA DTV unit sitting on the DVDR is probably the source of excessive heat, i have one of those (no cooling fan) and one could fry an egg on it after a few hours of operation, (unit retired now) especially if not turned off overnight, (it even melted away PC case rubber cushions I installed on it to improve air circulation) I had an enclosed equipment rack at the time --that made the heat issue even worse -- and also needed to install a cooling fan (blowing out) to cool the equipment.

The cooling fan was installed/mounted (screw down) on the Rack's vent cut out opening in the back blowing OUT, you want the fan to draw in cool fresh out-side air into the rack , not blow inside HOT air around. YMMV
post #496 of 507 Old 07-29-2008, 08:13 PM

My drc8030n worked like a charm for 6 months.now when it powers up I get the RCA logo while "hello" is displayed,but when it swithes to "menu" the menu flashes on the screen then it loses video.Audio still comes through.I've reset it many times,formatted the hdd,unplugged it for a week at a time.is this a lost cause?
TIA
Ronnie
post #497 of 507 Old 09-21-2008, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Has anyone who sent in a unit for repair before Thompson sold out got their units back or reimbursement for it. Last fall i was told to send them an email with the info and they would be creating a list of customers that needed to get thier units back but i have never heard a word. I sent mine in over a year ago now.
post #498 of 507 Old 10-16-2008, 01:29 PM

Well mine continues to work...wish there was a way to update the firmware to a better interface...something open source :-)
post #499 of 507 Old 10-23-2008, 08:41 PM

Anyone have a clue how to program the remotes on this? It has a TV Control function but I can't figure out how to set it up. Any help would be appreciated.
post #500 of 507 Old 10-24-2008, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipsterdoofus View Post

Anyone have a clue how to program the remotes on this? It has a TV Control function but I can't figure out how to set it up. Any help would be appreciated.

Never even bothered with that, I use a Logitech 720 Universal remote that works perfectly, although I still use the original remote most of the time as it is easier for starting up a recording than going through the Logitech's steps . (when in a different mode)
post #501 of 507 Old 10-25-2008, 12:03 PM

Well, turns out my TV remote (which I thought had quit working) seems to be doing alright, but would be nice to just use the functions on the DVR remote for volume and such.
post #502 of 507 Old 03-30-2009, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

After waiting 19 MONTHS, i finally got my replacement delivered today. I hope i never have to send it in for repair again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, the remote that came with it had batteries in it that leaked all over. Guess that's a goner.
post #503 of 507 Old 03-31-2009, 02:21 PM

Anyone want to buy mine ,never used, could not get the tuner to work and would not work with OTA digital converter box. In box with everything.

Karl
post #504 of 507 Old 10-12-2012, 12:50 PM

Liked: 11
Anybody still using one of these as I still have one and the better half still uses it every day to record a soap connected to a 32" LCD. The big DVR is in another room connected to a 67" HDTV.

HD since Sept 2005
post #505 of 507 Old 10-23-2012, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowahawkeye View Post

Anybody still using one of these as I still have one and the better half still uses it every day to record a soap connected to a 32" LCD. The big DVR is in another room connected to a 67" HDTV.
I still have one in a closet. Need to get it out and run it. Was thinking about putting it on Ebay. I never had any issues with it. It was in a bedroom and never ran for long hours at a time. It is cool that you have two that are still running strong. I just never had a use for it any longer when the Mag. 513 and 515 came out.
post #506 of 507 Old 10-26-2012, 09:26 PM

Spoke to soon as the HDD has failed a couple of days ago (red record light won't go on when recording.) It will still record to the removeable disc, so I'll still keep it as I have used it many times a few years ago to transfer vcr tape to dvd disc.

HD since Sept 2005
post #507 of 507 Unread Today, 09:34 PM

Thought I'd give this thread one more post. About 5 months ago I bought a 80GB IDE HDD ($20/Amazon) and installed it. DVR fired right up and asked to format the HDD, clicked "yes" and 5 sec later it works just like new.

HD since Sept 2005
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page