NEW @ Walmart RCA DRC-8030N - Page 4 - AVS Forum
First ... 2  3  4 5  6  ... Last
DVD Recorders (Standard Def) > NEW @ Walmart RCA DRC-8030N
ajcstr's Avatar ajcstr 07:49 AM 01-18-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by texguy1976 View Post

I wonder if I have a bad tuner since not everyone here is mentioning problems with occasional faint horizontal lines and sound going in and out sometimes? Actually that would be a relief because then I could just exchange it.

Well, I have the horizontal lines on pretty much all stations - no sound problems though. Guess you could try another one. Seems real interesting that Wal-Mart and ebay are the only two places you can buy this thing. I would think that says something too. I actually like the machine alot, but the tuner quality kind of nixes that.

Also - when I watch a DVD, the TV says the input is 480i - does that mean I don't have progressive scan on? I thought progressive scan would come up as 480p.

Creadence's Avatar Creadence 07:22 PM 01-18-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by texguy1976 View Post

I wonder if I have a bad tuner since not everyone here is mentioning problems with occasional faint horizontal lines and sound going in and out sometimes? Actually that would be a relief because then I could just exchange it.

I took mine back(as a defective unit), but the new one is just the same (picture issue only. Sound is OK). I have diagonal lines that roll across the screen (and sometimes the picture wavers) I wanted to try an attenuator to check to see if signal level effects it. I did notice that the auto clock now works (the first unit always reset 3:52 AM when get got the auto time signal.

Has any one used the 1800 number on the box to grill them on this issue?
LoveHarmony's Avatar LoveHarmony 10:43 PM 01-18-2007
Have to get me one of this
turlockaviator's Avatar turlockaviator 09:54 AM 01-20-2007
The Walmart where I live had a stack of about 6 of these left on their clearance shelf...they marked them down to $150.00, so I bought a second one. FOr what they do, they're useful. They do have their limitations that I wish there were some way to overcome (primarily, the ability to archive your commercial DVD collection...or at least a portion of it...to the harddrive).
Kex's Avatar Kex 08:35 PM 01-20-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by turlockaviator View Post

The Walmart where I live had a stack of about 6 of these left on their clearance shelf...they marked them down to $150.00, so I bought a second one. FOr what they do, they're useful.

I had a chance to try one of these too (for a couple of days). I actually thought it was a pretty clever little machine for $200. Nothing else out there seems to come close. We had been thinking of buying a simple DVD recorder since there are a couple out there now for about $100 or slightly less, but these require a lot of planning to record programs on RW discs to watch them later. Also, working with a set-top box of any description means that would tie up the machine and the receiver for the duration of the recording. So here is what I think:

Styling wise, I like this unit. It is actually quite sleek with its black top and silver bottom frontal design. It does not look cheap or tacky in my opinion, except for one thing: the access panel to the front inputs is really flimsy and does not really close tightly either. They should have just left it open, with no closure at all, like some other units do.

The remote has all the necessary functions, and a few extras, keeping it fairly simple to use and understand. The four circular direction buttons configuration is now familiar for most people and the two rocker buttons used for "skip back" and "skip forward" (left button) as well as "next chapter" and "previous chapter" (right button) are a nice feature I find. Whilst this is not a high end design it is not nearly as cheap or tacky as the low end DVD recorders we saw for $100. Some people may complain that some buttons are lacking, but too many buttons make a remote confusing to use for a small brain such as mine! I find this one has about the right amount of buttons!

Set up was easy with our Dish satellite receiver. We cannot, of course, watch one channel and record another because you have to have 2 satellite tuners for that (this is true of every DVD recorder I have ever seen and has nothing to do with the RCA unit). I suppose people watching OTA broadcasts can probably use a splitter or something, getting signal on the TV from its own tuner, and the signal on the RCA from its own tuner.

We did, however, have stereo sound (probably because we are using the set top box's tuner, not the RCA tuner, which people have described as mono).

Also, we could watch a DVD and record a program at the same time. We could also watch a recorded program from the HDD and record another one at the same time. The Picture in Picture function is handy to check what is recording too. None of the DVD recorders we had looked at could have done either.

First off, the pause live TV facility was truly amazing. Without even thinking about it, or doing anything, the unit records a buffer of what you are watching from when it is turned on. I found it hard to live without after 48 hours! It works well except for one thing: The buffer is 60 minutes, and if you are watching a program delayed after using the pause feature (so you are actually catching up on the live program the whole time) it seems to kick you off back to live TV when it reaches the end of the first 60 minutes of delayed use. This is very annoying, though you can still rewind back to where you were before getting kicked off, so you never actually "miss" any of the program you were watching.

Recording to a hard drive is so much less trouble than to DVD, and there are no long delays reading the disc and formatting when necessary (or having to make sure there is always a formatted blank disk available).

Being able to record programs you want to keep without adding an external DVD recorder also is a bonus. I did not try the "smart record" option yet to see how it works.

So, bottom line, whilst this unit has its limits, it seems like a bargain to me. A DVR from dish would be $50 (or $70 for a dual tuner, I believe) and then $6 a month after that, so $120 to $140 for the first year. A cheap DVD recorder would be $70 to $100. The total adds up to $190 to $240 for one year, or $260 to $310 for two years of use! Other similar units available are are at $300 plus and their reviews do not seem to show that they are much of an improvement.
turlockaviator's Avatar turlockaviator 08:38 PM 01-20-2007
Turlock (Central Valley south of Modesto).

I bought mine last week...no clue if there are any more left.
Kex's Avatar Kex 08:43 PM 01-20-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by turlockaviator View Post

They do have their limitations that I wish there were some way to overcome (primarily, the ability to archive your commercial DVD collection...or at least a portion of it...to the harddrive).

Agreed, Aviator. However, this has nothing to do with the RCA, as far as I know. No recorders that I know off will let you record commercial DVDs.
Kex's Avatar Kex 08:47 PM 01-20-2007
I had no problems using the timer, either for one program, or for M-F timers. Of course, operation is very simple, since the unit does not use VCR+ codes or EPG. Some users in these forums have had their issues with these other methods anyhow, so they do not seem to be universally considered as a good thing!

I did have to remember to program timers separately on the satellite receiver to make sure that it would also change channels at the right time.

For me, this system worked well.
Kex's Avatar Kex 03:48 PM 01-21-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kex View Post

I'll try to check one or two stores in the L.A. area if anyone is interested, and post the results. The website is still selling them at $200 + $0.97 shipping.

I checked this WE (jan. 20 & 21) in Los Angeles (Westside @ Crenshaw blvd.) and Panorama City (Van Nuys blvd. and Roscoe blvd.). Both are selling the units for just under $199. They also had Polaroid models at $220 but I do not know how good these Polaroids are.

It would be great to know if anyone sees these RCA models cheaper in the area! At anything below $175 I would HIGHLY recommend these units without any hesitation!

I am still going to buy one online in the next 10 days if no other opportunities come up for getting them cheaper.
taylor6277's Avatar taylor6277 08:47 AM 01-24-2007
Bought one on eBay $182 delivered. Connected per manual, wall to cable box to RCA DRC8030N to TV. Started setup. Chanel setup only found 3 of 70 channels. Closed this and panel on DVR shows MENU. nothing else works. Can not get anything to work even when turning unit off and back on, showing MENU. Any Sugestions?
Kex's Avatar Kex 09:54 AM 01-24-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor6277 View Post

Bought one on eBay $182 delivered. Connected per manual, wall to cable box to RCA DRC8030N to TV. Started setup. Chanel setup only found 3 of 70 channels. Closed this and panel on DVR shows MENU. nothing else works. Can not get anything to work even when turning unit off and back on, showing MENU. Any Sugestions?

Hi Taylor,

I connected mine to a satellite receiver. As far as I understand it, when the signal is coming from a set top box it is normal for the unit to find only ONE channel (in my case channel 3, probably 3 or 4 for your cable box) since all your 70 channels are coming from the box, not the unit's own tuner.

One thing I noticed in the connections though: the manual shows that you need to connect not just your antenna (coax) cable from the unit to your TV, but also another video cable (either S video, component, or composite video as well as sound cables L+R). I don't know if you did this, but that might be the source of your problem.

The top option on the menu should be "Watch TV". If you use the direction arrows to highlight this you should then be able to press "OK" to watch TV, with your cable box on. Use the "input" key to select Input 1 and check that it is in stereo (use right arrow key ">" to change from mono to stereo).

You will still need your cable remote to change channels (unless you get a universal remote with learning capabilities, like I did, and reprogram the keys to control your cable box channels even when you are using the DVD/DVR function).

If this does not work, I am not sure what else might be the problem. All I could suggest would be checking that your connections are correct or trying customer support.

Good luck!
Kex's Avatar Kex 10:05 AM 01-24-2007
Quote:

Did you also set up the time which normally comes after channel setup? Maybe you need to finish initial setup settings to get any further. Can you navigate up and down the selections in the start-up menu at all?

This is just a suggestion, but sometimes stupid stuff does work!
taylor6277's Avatar taylor6277 01:30 PM 01-24-2007
I probably wasn't clear in describing the problem. When the unit is turned on the panel displays MENU. Then no buttons on remote do anything ,the menue "watch TV" etc never is displayed.
Kex's Avatar Kex 02:23 PM 01-24-2007
Quote:

I probably wasn't clear in describing the problem. When the unit is turned on the panel displays MENU. Then no buttons on remote do anything ,the menue "watch TV" etc never is displayed.

Taylor, the unit should display MENU when first turned on (on the front panel). This means that it is attempting to display the menu on your TV (as it should do). If you are not seeing anything on your TV screen, then there must be a problem and I would suggest:

- connections
- input selection
- output selection

If you are sure the connections are OK:

- antenna cable connected
- A/V cable also connected (component, S-video or composite)
- audio L+R

Then I would try switching video outputs and/or inputs with the remote (there are two buttons for this either side of "0"). One way to find out what input it is currently selected would be, when you see the "menu" message on the front panel, assuming that the unit has defaulted to "watch TV" (even though you cannot see this displayed on your TV), press "OK" on the remote anyway and the front panel display should change after a couple of seconds to LIVE in1 or possibly LIVE 3. LIVE in1 is the rear input selection, which should work with your cable box if you have connected the cables as stated above. If the front panel does indeed display LIVE in1, try changing VIDEO OUT to see if you can get a picture.

That is where I would start anyway, but someone more expert than me might have other suggestions.
taylor6277's Avatar taylor6277 03:45 PM 01-24-2007
Does anyone know how to reach customer service for this unit I understand it is manufactured by Thompson Inc not RCA.
Kex's Avatar Kex 05:01 PM 01-24-2007
Quote:

Does anyone know how to reach customer service for this unit I understand it is manufactured by Thompson Inc not RCA.

Thomson owns RCA, I think, but they use the RCA brand in America. I never tried the number, but the sticker on top of the unit had 1-866-775-0976 as a service number.

You probably tried this already, but there is also a "contact" page on their website for sending support enquiries:

http://www.rcaaudiovideo.com/en-US/Support.html

This model is not shown on their site, so there is no info available from there. I did not see any other contact number on that site either.
crirvine's Avatar crirvine 07:50 PM 01-26-2007
Glad I found this place just bought the rca 8030 in West Tennessee for $125.00 at wal-mart. This will be fun to see what I can make it do as I have a spare segate 400 gig HD and a wd 320 gig HD and a wd 200 gig HD.
Kex's Avatar Kex 08:50 PM 01-26-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by crirvine View Post

Glad I found this place just bought the rca 8030 in West Tennessee for $125.00 at wal-mart. This will be fun to see what I can make it do as I have a spare segate 400 gig HD and a wd 320 gig HD and a wd 200 gig HD.

Wow! What a deal! Congratulations on your purchase! It will be interesting to see how you get on. Just in case this info is of any help ...

The Good news

I did not notice any of the noise issues (noisy fan) with this device that others reported on the Polaroid ($220, also from Walmart). It basically sounds like a laptop computer (and not even a noisy one of those either).

I did not have any picture quality issues as some have posted.

Pausing live TV was fabulous, and skipping through the commercials while catching up with the live program was a dream come true!

If a program had been timed to record, but I was free to watch it early, it was great to be able to start watching it anyway, and from the start, before it had finished recording.

It was great to be able to watch a previously recorded program from the HDD or watch a DVD while programs were simultaneously recorded to the HDD.

I did record some stuff from the HDD to DVD (30 mins for a 1hr program). The DVD+RW I used was recognized even though it had been formatted and used in another device without making it "compatible" using the options available from that device. As was said in an earlier post here, this action does indeed tie up the device 100% for the duration of the operation (nothing else is possible during transfer). I did not try the transfer timer to see if this could be done automatically in my absence.

The Bad news

The few edits I tried were fairly painful. It was tricky to get the chapter markers where you wanted them and then hide certain chapters to eliminate commercials before copying to DVD (hidden chapters do not copy).

I was never able to resolve the issue with getting kicked off from paused TV back to live TV after 60 minutes: If I started pausing a program at 9.00 and was still 20mins delayed at somewhere around 10.00, I would get kicked off to live and would have to rewind the 20mins to keep watching from where I was.

The Other news

The remote, while not badly designed, is often slow to react (as others have also posted here). I used a Sony universal remote that worked much better (but obviously had its limits beyond the basic required functions).

Good luck with your unit!
lionz's Avatar lionz 04:54 AM 01-27-2007
Hi,
Thanks to everyone who posts on this recorder. It helps tremendously! I have had this recorder for about 1 month now. I do have some of the lines going through the screen due to tuner issues that is not great, but i have gotten used to it somewhat. Still deciding if i will keep it though. I do have a couple questions:
1. Our digital cable provider allows us 1 free pay per view movie/month. My wife wanted the devil wears prada so we bought that one and then saved it to the hard drive. Then we copied it to a DVD+RW. When we watch the movie off of the hard drive everything is fine. When we watch it on the DVD in all of our different DVD players it is very washed out and very bright and it makes the whites almost too bright to watch. I was at Walmart yesterday and asked about this and they said it had to do with the copyright issues. They said that if you record things from ESPN, soap operas and some of those movies that is the way it will look. My wife also records her soaps to the hard drive so after the clerk told us that we copied that to a DVD and it looks just fine. Does anyone know if this is true? Or has anyone else had this same problem?
2. Because of the Tuner issues and possibly these recording to DVD issues I am still trying to decide on whether to keep it or return it. We have become very used to the HDD feature though and would want to stay with it. Does anyone have any good advice on other DVD recorders with HDD that is under $300?
Looking forward to hearing from you all
thanks
_frankly's Avatar _frankly 07:54 AM 01-27-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionz View Post

Hi,
... When we watch it on the DVD in all of our different DVD players it is very washed out and very bright and it makes the whites almost too bright to watch. ... Or has anyone else had this same problem? ...

Hello,
I bet the problem is you changed the video quality setting to save the file to DVD. Or you have the SmartRecord setting turned on. It will change the Record Quality to fit the file into the available space. I have noticed that if I save the video directly to DVD without changing the video quality the video looks identical on the hard drive and DVD. If I change the Record Quality the image is very washed out. I have noticed the same issue anytime transferring a file from DVD to hard drive.

A major weakness of this unit. A work around I use is to cut the videos too big to fit into multiple files using hidden chapters.

Even with this weakness I do love the machine for the great functionality it does have.

Its a keeper!
crirvine's Avatar crirvine 09:24 AM 01-27-2007
Ok update took my zenith xbr413 transferred 101 dalmatians from vhs to dvd then output of zenith to input 1 of rca copied dvd to from zenith to rca harddrive then from rca harddrive to verbatim dvd-r with no problems. Next project is to try the wd 320 gig harddrive upgrade.
Kex's Avatar Kex 10:15 AM 01-27-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionz View Post

2. Because of the Tuner issues and possibly these recording to DVD issues I am still trying to decide on whether to keep it or return it. We have become very used to the HDD feature though and would want to stay with it. Does anyone have any good advice on other DVD recorders with HDD that is under $300?
Looking forward to hearing from you all
thanks

Hi lionz, I am curious about your tuner issues. Are you using a set top box for cable reception or old style cable, with the coax "antenna" cable plugged straight in? Surely if you are using a set top box you should not be having any tuner issues? Those lines sound really annoying, but I certainly did not have that issue.

As for other options, I have only come across the Polaroid (at Wal-mart), which seems to have a major problem with noisy operation (see another forum here on the subject, especially Dartman's posts)

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=675487

but otherwise sounds similar to the RCA; or a Philips (also at Wal-mart), but it does cost $298 and seems to be very similar to the Polaroid (also see Dartman's amazing investigations!).
ajcstr's Avatar ajcstr 10:43 AM 01-27-2007
Quote:

Are you using a set top box for cable reception or old style cable, with the coax "antenna" cable plugged straight in? Surely if you are using a set top box you should not be having any tuner issues? Those lines sound really annoying, but I certainly did not have that issue.

For me, if I bring the cable line into the RCA and output into my cable box (which is the only setup that will allow time shifting on the RCA), I have the same issue with the horizontal lines. Watching programs from the cable box is no issue, so it has to be the tuner in the RCA. If I use RCA jacks from the cable box to the RCA unit, the picture is fine, but can't time shift as the RCA unit would have to stay on "input1".

I just got the DVR that comcast offers and for $12 a month I can record the Digital and the HD channels also (even if the tuner was better on the RCA, could only record basic cable stations), so I will probably stick with that though I hate to give comcast more money.
crirvine's Avatar crirvine 12:31 PM 01-27-2007
Well the wd 320 gig harddrive upgrade went well no problems now will record 560 hours on the longest setting. Nice little unit for what I paid for it
Kex's Avatar Kex 01:08 PM 01-27-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajcstr View Post

For me, if I bring the cable line into the RCA and output into my cable box (which is the only setup that will allow time shifting on the RCA), I have the same issue with the horizontal lines. Watching programs from the cable box is no issue, so it has to be the tuner in the RCA. If I use RCA jacks from the cable box to the RCA unit, the picture is fine, but can't time shift as the RCA unit would have to stay on "input1".

Interesting ... I use a set top box for satellite, but I connected the way the manual suggested (wall to sat box to RCA unit to TV) and had no problems time shifting.

I always used it on LIVE In1, not SAT3, because L1 was stereo whereas S3 was mono.

I had no horizontal line issues. I was using S-video and good quality cables.
lionz's Avatar lionz 06:56 PM 01-27-2007
Quote:

Hi lionz, I am curious about your tuner issues. Are you using a set top box for cable reception or old style cable, with the coax "antenna" cable plugged straight in? Surely if you are using a set top box you should not be having any tuner issues? Those lines sound really annoying, but I certainly did not have that issue.

As for other options, I have only come across the Polaroid (at Wal-mart), which seems to have a major problem with noisy operation (see another forum here on the subject, especially Dartman's posts)

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=675487

but otherwise sounds similar to the RCA; or a Philips (also at Wal-mart), but it does cost $298 and seems to be very similar to the Polaroid (also see Dartman's amazing investigations!).

Hi,
Thanks for all the suggestions and yes the smartrecord feature did have to be used so that may be the problem with the DVD. As far as my setup goes it is a little weird. We have a "hub" that runs our digital cable as well as our DSL. This is all through our phone company. That coax runs out of that and into the back of the RCA input and then outputs to our TV. We are using S video for the video connection. I have a panasonic surround receiver that runs everything audio with digital coax audio cable from the RCA to the receiver. The lines are not always there, but our other TV's in the house have no problems so im sure it is the RCA tuner. thanks again for the help
ajcstr's Avatar ajcstr 10:03 PM 01-27-2007
Quote:

Interesting ... I use a set top box for satellite, but I connected the way the manual suggested (wall to sat box to RCA unit to TV) and had no problems time shifting.

I always used it on LIVE In1, not SAT3, because L1 was stereo whereas S3 was mono.

I had no horizontal line issues. I was using S-video and good quality cables.

But doesn't your satellite box have to be on the channel you are recording? If you wanted channel 3 at 11:00 and channel 10 at 2:00, wouldn't you have to change the channel on the satellite box? That is what i would have to do with the cable box because line 1 would only have the channel that the cable box was on.

The horizontal lines are only an issue with the coax antenna connection
Kex's Avatar Kex 12:00 AM 01-28-2007
Quote:

But doesn't your satellite box have to be on the channel you are recording? If you wanted channel 3 at 11:00 and channel 10 at 2:00, wouldn't you have to change the channel on the satellite box? That is what i would have to do with the cable box because line 1 would only have the channel that the cable box was on.

Yes, you are right, but when I record, I program the RCA and the sat box, so that both change channel automatically. This also has its advantages when pausing live TV: if you are watching a program on NBC from 6-7 but use the pause live TV feature, so that at 7, when you want to watch something on sci-fi, you still have 10 minutes left of what you were watching on NBC ... well, it doesn't matter!
  • The satellite box can change channel to sci-fi at 7 (either manually or automatically)
  • You can keep watching NBC for the remaining 10 minutes (the buffer does not get emptied)
  • The sci-fi program is being recorded into the buffer all the time from the moment of the channel change at 7, even though you will only begin watching that program at 7.10.

Of course, the other advantage is that I get stereo sound, not mono (as well as, apparently, better picture!).

I don't know if that was clear to anybody but I can try to explain it better if anyone wants to know more.
lionz's Avatar lionz 06:48 AM 01-28-2007
Quote:

The horizontal lines are only an issue with the coax antenna connection

Quick question:
When you say the horizontal lines are only an issue with the coax antenna connection are there other option? I may just be ignorant on these issues, and for the most part i am, but my coax goes from my digital cable box to the back input on the back of the RCA and then the output goes to the TV. Is there another way i can do it to not have the horizontal lines?
theewizard's Avatar theewizard 01:30 AM 01-29-2007
to LIONZ

I bought this unit early last week ( panorama city walmart ) and hooked it up thursday night

my first recording was 85 minutes of the USA ladies short program figure skating championship thursday night 'quality #2' and it transfered to DVD as an exact copy

my second recording was 1 hr of 'modern marvels' on #1 quality and it transfered exactly

my third recording was 2 hrs of figure skating sat afternoon, on #1 quality and it played perfectly from the HD , but washed out on the DVD , this unit will only record 84 minutes on DVD at #1 and the issue seems to be the "on the fly realtime' quality reduction used during transfer

future programing will be recorded in #2 or #3 quality for ALL 2 hr movies as this allows for more time on the DVD with out a quality reduction during transfer

NOW i have to try and EDIT the 2hr show and remove the 36 minutes of commercials and fluff then i will be able to transfer to DVD without the washout effect

the rest of my observations pretty much agree with Kex, and im happy with the unit so far
the quality is quite good for a $200 unit, I have NO audio problems, there does seem to be some repeating horiz lines barely noticed most of time,
I believe the chase & play buffer can be changed to 120 minutes, which would eliminate the 60min shut down for live TV, I don't know if it would change anything for delayed watching while recording on timed record

the quality of the recording far exceeds, what i was getting with my TV tuner card onto the HD of the PC, and the wife was very happy with all the oplympic events I was able to record to HD and burn to DVD for her 'editing out commercials' using that software

I also use have used the PC card and PVR software to record PBS music specials , like roy orbinson, and 'lord of dance'

I predict this recorder is going to see a lot of use.

I would like to see somebody come up with a hardware HACK for accessing the HD and transferring files to and from the PC

I have copied/transfered to both DVD+R discs and DVD+RW discs with the same results and recording times, the DVDs play on my PC, and the ones I have on my PC play from this units player

NO commercial-retail recorder is going to allow transfer of RETAIL movies

you will need to make your own copies to transfer to the HD or built a home PVR-DVR-DVD media center using a PC, I actually considered doing that, but the components to do it were going to cost me more than buying this one
First ... 2  3  4 5  6  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop