post #181 of 506 Old 02-09-2007, 05:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by texguy1976 View Post

I have the horizontal lines, as I mentioned before. Do some of these 8030s have better tuners than others? I doubt it. I'd exchange mine but several people here have reported the same problem. I run the basic cable coax from the wall to the RCA to the TV (S-Video).

Just for the heck of it, and if you have easy access to your RF cable on the back of the RCA, disconnect the RF cable from the RCA and check the center wire. See if it is recessed (short) or sticking out beyond the end of the nut (long)???

One reason for lines could be a loose connector. Another is a center wire that's not making good contact in the RF connector on the recorder.

If your center wire is short, replace it with another cable that has a longer center wire and see if any diff.??? (Tighten very tightly, in any case.)

This is just to eliminate the poss. that the RCA needs a longer contact with the RF cable wire.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 506 Old 02-09-2007, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have used this advice in the past and it has worked.

If anybody is using the push on RF cables that are often included in the box get rid of them. Use a real coax cable with the longer center copper wire as suggested.
post #183 of 506 Old 02-09-2007, 05:31 PM

That would be awesome if that's all I need. I may have to make a Best Buy run this weekend.
post #184 of 506 Old 02-09-2007, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Not saying it is the solution but it is something to try.
post #185 of 506 Old 02-09-2007, 07:05 PM

Quote:

I have the horizontal lines, as I mentioned before. Do some of these 8030s have better tuners than others? I doubt it. I'd exchange mine but several people here have reported the same problem. I run the basic cable coax from the wall to the RCA to the TV (S-Video).

Except for that it's a cool gadget. My plan is to return mine to Wal-Mart 2 months from now, just before my 90 days are up. Then I'll get the Pioneer 640 (waiting for that Title-saving issue to get resolved).

If only these RCAs had a better tuner.

I too have gone through two of these things (returned the first one as faulty). If it weren't so handy I would get rid of it. But for now using the VCR for it's tuner works. The noise is more pronounced on dark images and it shows up on all channels (Comes and goes over time)
PS: I did finally try an attenuator and that only added noise. will try the long center wire thing, but I think this would more likely make the signal noisy. this pattern looks more like some LO is not as well filtered as it should be or the power supply is noisy.

EDIT:::
I tried the RG6U direct from the wall, it has the center conductor protruding from the connector about 3/8". Same results. I always had this unit in the line before the VCR and TV and neither had RF signal problems with the TV or VCR. The cables that came with it may not be the best, but I cannot see any difference with that cable in the line in my environment.
post #186 of 506 Old 02-10-2007, 05:23 PM

Quote:

Except for that it's a cool gadget. My plan is to return mine to Wal-Mart 2 months from now, just before my 90 days are up. Then I'll get the Pioneer 640 (waiting for that Title-saving issue to get resolved).

If only these RCAs had a better tuner.

I have tried two of them now and I am convinced it is the tuner. I have a return number to send back to the Texas facility for repair but I have to pay shipping and I am not sure they will even fix it. I think you have the right idea.. keep it for a couple of months and then return it. Perhaps by then the new ones with ATSC tuners will be coming on strong. The Pioneer 640 is a cool machine, but pricey.

For the folks that were wondering about coax connectors being the fault: simply connect your antenna to your TV direct... if you have no rolling lines without the 8030N, then you know it is the recorder.
post #187 of 506 Old 02-10-2007, 08:35 PM
Kex
AVS Special Member

Does the Pioneer not have an issue with Time Shifting? You actually have to start recording to time shift or something like that? (No permanent buffer)

I think it's about $100 more too, before discount pricing, which some have reported seeing on the RCA.
post #188 of 506 Old 02-10-2007, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim55avs View Post

I have tried two of them now and I am convinced it is the tuner. I have a return number to send back to the Texas facility for repair but I have to pay shipping and I am not sure they will even fix it. I think you have the right idea.. keep it for a couple of months and then return it. Perhaps by then the new ones with ATSC tuners will be coming on strong. The Pioneer 640 is a cool machine, but pricey.

For the folks that were wondering about coax connectors being the fault: simply connect your antenna to your TV direct... if you have no rolling lines without the 8030N, then you know it is the recorder.

Have you tried coax cables other than the snap-on one it comes with? Just wondering if it is really inferior as mentioned earlier.
post #189 of 506 Old 02-10-2007, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kex View Post

Does the Pioneer not have an issue with Time Shifting? You actually have to start recording to time shift or something like that? (No permanent buffer)

I think it's about $100 more too, before discount pricing, which some have reported seeing on the RCA.

Correct. It's not always recording like the RCA, but my understanding is that once you press Record you can "pause and rewind" live TV. From the reviews I've read on the Pioneer it seems to have a better tuner, which is worth the extra $100-$150 to me.
post #190 of 506 Old 02-12-2007, 03:16 PM

Correction....I DO have the rolling lines on the tuner, worse at lower channel #'s. Sorry for the misinfo, I just didn't notice them until I started looking for them.
post #191 of 506 Old 02-13-2007, 09:05 AM

What's the deal with walmart's supposed closeout markdown on this item? I read about the closeout prices here, but the closest walmart still had them at 198 and change. Then I went to some other walmart stores and found one that had them at 150 even, and then another store that had them at 138 and change. I never found the 100 dollars price mentioned. Is it likely that the price for this 8030n will continue to me marked down? Should I wait, or go for it now?

Also, one store had the display polaroid 2001 marked to 160. Does anyone have both the 2001 and the 8030n, and if so, which do you like better? Based on what I've read here, the 8030n is noisier, which I wouldn't like. I don't care about the tuner in either unit because I would never use it. I care mostly about pausing, rewinding, and skipping live tv. I understand both of these units only store one hour, I prefer something more like four hours. But anyway... which one is better?
post #192 of 506 Old 02-13-2007, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextoo View Post

I have used this advice in the past and it has worked.

If anybody is using the push on RF cables that are often included in the box get rid of them. Use a real coax cable with the longer center copper wire as suggested.

I'm using the cables from the cable company with the copper wire.
post #193 of 506 Old 02-13-2007, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonapart View Post

I don't care about the tuner because I would never use it.

What do you mean?
post #194 of 506 Old 02-13-2007, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajcstr View Post

I'm using the cables from the cable company with the copper wire.

How's your picture quality?
post #195 of 506 Old 02-13-2007, 09:49 AM

Quote:

How's your picture quality?

Lousy - horizontal lines on most of the channels
post #196 of 506 Old 02-13-2007, 10:52 AM
Kex
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonapart View Post

What's the deal with walmart's supposed closeout markdown on this item? I read about the closeout prices here, but the closest walmart still had them at 198 and change. Then I went to some other walmart stores and found one that had them at 150 even, and then another store that had them at 138 and change. I never found the 100 dollars price mentioned. Is it likely that the price for this 8030n will continue to me marked down? Should I wait, or go for it now?

Also, one store had the display polaroid 2001 marked to 160. Does anyone have both the 2001 and the 8030n, and if so, which do you like better? Based on what I've read here, the 8030n is noisier, which I wouldn't like. I don't care about the tuner in either unit because I would never use it. I care mostly about pausing, rewinding, and skipping live tv. I understand both of these units only store one hour, I prefer something more like four hours. But anyway... which one is better?

Bonapart,
  • the $100 price on the RCA was for a returned item with no remote.
  • If you wait too long, they might suddenly disappear from the store completely, as some have reported here.
  • It seems unlikely you will find them at less than $150.
  • The tuner seems to be better on the Polaroid, but you say that does not matter to you, so if the RCA is cheaper ...
  • The Polaroid seems to be the noisier unit during operation since many posted that as its major flaw and nobody complained about noise in the RCA (it really does sound just like a laptop computer)
  • Pausing live TV is continuous, but in my case, with the RCA, I kept getting kicked off to live TV after one hour of time shifting (and had to rewind back to where I got kicked off). Otherwise, time shifting is not limited to one hour, this is only the default size of the recording buffer used.
  • In the case of the RCA, the buffer can be set to 120 minutes, instead of the default 60 mins.
  • If you mostly care about pausing, rewinding and skipping live TV, I found the RCA to be excellent except for being kicked off to live. If it was not for this, I would say that the RCA was excellent at time shifting. I have not tried the Polaroid.
  • According to posters here, both units have issues with editing out commercials for recording to DVD but I am not sure if anyone can clearly recommend either unit as being better than the other for this.
  • If you are using progressive scan and need component inputs, only the Polaroid has those (the RCA will use composite video or S-video connections)

Comparisons are difficult, as has been said already, but if time shifting is all that you want, the getting "kicked off" issue with the RCA is its only real flaw for this activity. You could try a unit and see if you have the same problem. I would be interested to know if the unit I had was faulty or if this is a problem with all the units.

Hope that helps you some.
post #197 of 506 Old 02-13-2007, 02:34 PM

All of what Kex says is true. I will give some more comparison of the RCA DRC-8030N vs the Polaroid DRM-2001G and the Philips DVDR3455/37B. I will treat the Polaroid and Philips as one, even though they have significant differences. I will also set aside the issue of the tuner for all of the units.

The RCA is a smaller, more compact form factor, in terms of length and width. It is slightly more tall.

The RCA has a nicer user interface in my opinion. The Polaroid and Philips (hereafter; P&P) have essentially the same crappy interface.

The RCA will display just a small counter in the upper left when doing the 10-sec reverse or the 30-sec skip. The P&P cover the lower third of the screen with a hard to read time display bar and some useless empty bar below that.

The P&P are more responsive to pause/play. They can start/stop on a dime. The RCA has a little bit of a lag. The same applies to the 10-sec reverse and 30-sec skip.

The RCA has a better designed remote in my opinion.

The 10-sec reverse and 30-sec skip on the RCA work in DVD mode too. They only work in input mode on the P&P.

S-Video output is somewhat better (in my opinion) on the P&P. This applies to both input mode and DVD mode. DVD playback looks slightly grainier on the RCA compared to the P&P, but still very good.

I have all three sitting here, and lately I've mostly been using the RCA. Although I still like the Polaroid somewhat better, mostly for some of the other features not mentioned here. I do think that the RCA is a great deal at the $140-$150 prices you mentioned.
post #198 of 506 Old 02-13-2007, 04:03 PM
Kex
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blimey View Post

... The RCA is a smaller, more compact form factor, in terms of length and width. It is slightly more tall. ...

... The RCA has a nicer user interface in my opinion. ...

... The P&P are more responsive to pause/play. They can start/stop on a dime. The RCA has a little bit of a lag. The same applies to the 10-sec reverse and 30-sec skip. ...

... The RCA has a better designed remote in my opinion. ...

... I do think that the RCA is a great deal at the $140-$150 prices you mentioned.

Some remarks, if they might help:
  • I liked the form factor of the RCA. Quite classy looking for an entry level unit. I also liked the look of the Polaroid and Philips units.
  • Some have complained about the RCA menu structure but I too liked the interface, except for editing out commercials: I found that part to be terrible, almost unusable in fact.
  • I used a universal remote with learning capabilities and macro commands. I had no lag issues when using this remote. I loved the skip back and skip forward features, especially when time shifting live TV!
  • I also thought the RCA remote was very well designed for an entry level unit of this type.
  • I have already said that I think the RCA is a great deal at $175 or less. Actually, I do not think it is a mistake to pay $200 either for those that cannot find any deals locally, unless the tuner and/or editing are an essential issue. Otherwise, be prepared to pay $300 or more.
post #199 of 506 Old 02-13-2007, 05:17 PM

I discovered today, on the RCA, in the library list of titles you can move up and down the list a page at a time if you use the channel rocker switch. I'm still scolling one at a time on the polaroid. Anybody know better?
post #200 of 506 Old 02-13-2007, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by masochrist View Post

I discovered today, on the RCA, in the library list of titles you can move up and down the list a page at a time if you use the channel rocker switch. I'm still scolling one at a time on the polaroid. Anybody know better?

Use the channel up and down with the Polaroid. This will move from page to page. Also to reorder with the Polaroid use the "slow" button on the remote. If you look close it also says "sort". This will sort the library based on various criteria.
post #201 of 506 Old 02-13-2007, 08:36 PM

I have the RCA , I set the time buffer to 120 minutes, so far it has NOT kicked me to live TV,

I don't see an issue unless you are depending on the buffer to catch a 3 hr movie because you forgot to start recording..

whit this machine you can watch a 1 hr TV show or even a 2hr TV movie , and the LIVE buffer is in use, if you decide half way into the show that you show have recored, just wait untill the end of the show and then press record & save buffer, and Voila, it's saved
on the HD 'hindsight' is wonderful

I think you can hit record while watching and it will even save what is in the buffer
post #202 of 506 Old 02-14-2007, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kex View Post

• I used a universal remote with learning capabilities and macro commands. I had no lag issues when using this remote. I loved the skip back and skip forward features, especially when time shifting live TV!

I didn't mean a lag in regard to the remote, I meant a lag in the video. With the RCA, if I press 'go back' or 'again', the video will pause momentarily (still frame) for some fraction of a second or maybe up to a second, and then pick up at the -0:00:10 or +0:00:30 position. With the Polaroid or Philips, the video goes to -0:00:10 or +0:00:30 virutally immediately after pressing the respective button, without any momentary short pause of the video.
post #203 of 506 Old 02-14-2007, 08:28 AM
Kex
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theewizard View Post

I have the RCA , I set the time buffer to 120 minutes, so far it has NOT kicked me to live TV,

I don't see an issue unless you are depending on the buffer to catch a 3 hr movie because you forgot to start recording..

whit this machine you can watch a 1 hr TV show or even a 2hr TV movie , and the LIVE buffer is in use, if you decide half way into the show that you show have recored, just wait untill the end of the show and then press record & save buffer, and Voila, it's saved
on the HD 'hindsight' is wonderful

I think you can hit record while watching and it will even save what is in the buffer

Wizard, did you ever kicked into live TV when using the buffer set to the default 60 minutes?

You are right about recording the buffer, it is very useful. I noticed that, not only can you choose to record the buffer when you start to record a program, but the default setting will be set
  • to "record buffer" if time shifting is active (you are watching the current program with a delay from the real time broadcast),
  • or "do not record buffer" if you are watching the program live (no time shifting delay).
I found this setting useful since generally, when you end up watching with too much of a delay, it can frequently be convenient to just decide to record the whole thing if you have to leave, go do something else, or change channel to watch another program. You never have to miss the end of what you were watching just because there is another program starting on another channel and you hadn't thought to record the first program from the beginning. It is also true that you can continue to record beyond the end of the buffer without any further action needed. I agree that by using all these options, there should be no good reason to increase the buffer beyond 2 hours.

DVRs really do change TV watching habits because they are so easy to use and isn't nice to finally get something without having to pay an extra monthly fee?!
post #204 of 506 Old 02-14-2007, 10:04 AM

Ok, I am almost convinced to get the rca. I read this entire thread but I didn't see any mention if the rca plays divx/xvid/avi, ect. I did read that the polaroid plays them. Someone please let me know about the rca. Thanks to Kex and everyone else for the excellent feature descriptions.
post #205 of 506 Old 02-14-2007, 11:44 AM

KEX

i never got kicked out of it before the time ran out

bonapart

the RCA is not listed as playing DviX, and i haven't tried it to see if would play them. but i doubt it
post #206 of 506 Old 02-14-2007, 04:54 PM
Kex
AVS Special Member

Quote:

KEX

i never got kicked out of it before the time ran out

Wizard, just for the heck of it (and for some useful info, IMHO) and if you are feeling generous today, could you try the following?
  • reset the buffer to 60 minutes,
  • turn on the unit on any channel, whether you are watching or not,
  • pause live TV for about 5 minutes (the length of the delay did not seem to matter with the unit I was playing with, only the duration since the start of time shifting),
  • check in after about 70 minutes later, or maybe even 2 hours or so (just for good measure) and see if the unit says it is playing Live TV or is still time shifting with a 5 minute delay (I think you need to press info, or something like that to display the information on top of the screen).

I would love to know how you get on, if you get a chance to perform that little test! Thnx a mill.!
post #207 of 506 Old 02-14-2007, 07:06 PM

since there is 'save buffer' option and the buffer starts automaticly when the unit is turned on, I expect it will kick out to live TV at the end of the 60 minutes after being turned on

I might try it late tonight..

right now i'm waitng for the thing to finish the 'make compatible' function , which formalizes all the edits i did to this 3hrs of 8mm video I recorded/transfered from a camera

the 'lock' disc is so it cannot be recorded too, only takes a few seconds, but the EDIT compilation is taking forever

apparently the 'EDITS' are only in the recorders memory, until you do this, then it re-writes the INFO files on the disc to point , to the new chapters

OK I did your test

and got surprised, i set the buffer for 60 minutes, watch for about 5 min, then paused it 15 minutes, then continued watching the show 'CSI:NY' at commericals I would fast forward thru finally the showwas over and I was 5:40 behind, I went thru the complete 30 min news cast and into letterman and it was still 5:40 behind

NO kickout
post #208 of 506 Old 02-15-2007, 10:56 AM

It's now listed at $188.54 on the Walmart website. How long of a period will they do a price adjustment for?
post #209 of 506 Old 02-15-2007, 11:10 AM

Quote:

my third recording was 2 hrs of figure skating sat afternoon, on #1 quality and it played perfectly from the HD , but washed out on the DVD , this unit will only record 84 minutes on DVD at #1 and the issue seems to be the "on the fly realtime' quality reduction used during transfer

Anyone else have issues recording from HD to DVD?
post #210 of 506 Old 02-15-2007, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajcstr View Post

It's now listed at $188.54 on the Walmart website. How long of a period will they do a price adjustment for?

I don't think this is a temporary price adjustment - and I expect it to fall some more.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page