List DVD Recorders with Component Input - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 144 Old 05-06-2012, 05:07 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, I ran into another possible solution...the RCA HDTV I own (RLC3220) has composite outputs. Can't think why an HDTV set would have video outputs but they are there. I *should* by rights be able to take the output from the TV with a HDMI or component input and output correct anamorphic WS 480i through the composite outputs of the TV. Now that would be weird and staring me in the face all this time...

If it doesn't work, I'll try the Vision Quest DVD recorder with it's component inputs and the STB set for 480i WS out to the Pioneer 640 and see if that works.

Wish me luck!

UPDATE:

Can't seem to get anything from the outputs. Going to do some searching and ask Curtis/RCA if there is a way to make the outputs active. There is nothing in the manual and nothing in the TV menu. Anyone else have one of these and is able to make the AV outputs work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 144 Old 05-06-2012, 07:36 PM

Liked: 14
Yeah i had a modern 1080p LCD for a week that had composite output but i returned it after a week because it had bad backlighting so then i got a different brand. The composite out is supposedly for connecting to a VCR or other recorder that has not digital tuner.
post #123 of 144 Old 05-06-2012, 11:13 PM
Advanced Member

The Vision Quest does work to convert to anamorphic widescreen (I got the Component inputs to work *finally*) but I've run into a different problem with the last Bomba movie. It's aspect ratio as filmed was equivalent to a 4:3 TV so it would have been good to have recorded it from the SD TCM channel instead of the HD TCM (which I didn't). As such, I have not been able to change any setting on my DVR or the DVD recorders to make the aspect ratio correct. I'll try it again with a CRT set hooked up instead of the RCA HDTV and see if it will play okay. Other than that, maybe I can zoom the pic going through the Vision Quest DVD recorder and record that. Still hoping I get a response from RCA/Curtis about the live outputs as that should clear up the recording problem for that movie at least...
post #124 of 144 Old 05-07-2012, 11:17 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug O View Post

Can't seem to get anything from the outputs. Going to do some searching and ask Curtis/RCA if there is a way to make the outputs active. There is nothing in the manual and nothing in the TV menu. Anyone else have one of these and is able to make the AV outputs work?

Eh.. those outputs are just a bad taste joke:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by profhat View Post

I have a Sony Trinitron Wega from 2005-06 with ONE composite output ("Monitor Out").

That "output" has never worked, no sound, no video, no signal, nothing.

Will it be cheap try to fix it?

I faced this same situation:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post17994059

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post17988075

For what I suspect, in newer TVs you only will need to get that a service center activate those with some firmware update.

In any case, I suggest you to write to rkg22 user. He's very wise in this things:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3#post21989223
post #125 of 144 Old 05-07-2012, 12:03 PM
Advanced Member

So, add the Vision Quest PVR5000 to the list. I only ever saw these for sale in Canada though. Comes with a 250 GB hard drive. From the 2006 or so era I think. The one I got for $60 from the pawn shop works great but I'm using it to feed the inputs of a Pioneer 640. One more problem conquered but I fear, just for the moment...
post #126 of 144 Old 05-11-2012, 10:20 AM
Advanced Member

Unable to get a reply from RCA/Curtis in Canada. Anyone got any other customer support URLs?
post #127 of 144 Old 05-11-2012, 08:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by profhat View Post

Eh.. those outputs are just a bad taste joke:

For what I suspect, in newer TVs you only will need to get that a service center activate those with some firmware update.

In any case, I suggest you to write to rkg22 user. He's very wise in this things:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3#post21989223

I finally found the number for Curtis/RCA: 1-800-968-9853 but I think I'm going to have to talk to some tech people there tomorrow to see what (if anything) is available as to FW upgrades or if the AV outputs can be made live. As of this point, they don't work at all. There were a few TVs in the past 4 years or so that had those outputs. I can't believe that they are all dead but I have a sneaking suspicion that is the case. I tried both the HDMI and component inputs for sources but got nothing. Perhaps they were meant for OTA but there is nothing in the manual at all. I'm getting tired of these manuals that seem to be almost generic depending on the equipment you buy without the finer points of the actual equipment by model number. Perhaps that's the price we have to pay now for getting cheaply made products...
post #128 of 144 Old 05-12-2012, 03:10 AM

Liked: 14
They really are closing the analog hole on you hey . Gee its only crappy composite and they still want to shut the outputs down on those.
post #129 of 144 Old 05-12-2012, 10:59 AM
Advanced Member

Well, it was a good shot but a waste of time. They telephone people have no clue. Very thick Asian accents didn't help but when I showed them the page in the manual and the ports, they had no answer. No tech help at that location so the person that I previously asked was BSing me to get me off the line. Very poor all around service. I'd like to talk to the RCA rep on the Youtube video but he has also left no forwarding address. I tried an analog hookup using the component inputs but still got no picture. The manual for the 2626 model clearly states that the outputs are for connecting a recorder to. Except, they don't work...

And they figure this would would be a great company to work for? I guess it's no wonder that when I used to work for Wal-Mart all those years ago, my boss referred to RCA as "Real Crappy Appliances"...
post #130 of 144 Old 05-15-2012, 09:13 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug O View Post

Well, it was a good shot but a waste of time. They telephone people have no clue. Very thick Asian accents didn't help but when I showed them the page in the manual and the ports, they had no answer. No tech help at that location so the person that I previously asked was BSing me to get me off the line. Very poor all around service. I'd like to talk to the RCA rep on the Youtube video but he has also left no forwarding address. I tried an analog hookup using the component inputs but still got no picture. The manual for the 2626 model clearly states that the outputs are for connecting a recorder to. Except, they don't work...

I guess you didn't write to rkg22.
post #131 of 144 Old 05-15-2012, 11:20 AM
Advanced Member

Yeah, I did. Thanks though...
post #132 of 144 Old 09-29-2013, 03:29 PM

So just to clarify these will allow an HD signal to pass through to my TV and also record that signal in SD to a DVD correct?

post #133 of 144 Old 09-29-2013, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 84
I believe a few will allow HD passthrough but none will record the HD or even downconvert it to SD to record. To record they all need 480i as an input.
Someone else may be able to tell you which ones allow HD passthrough, I'm not sure.
post #134 of 144 Old 09-29-2013, 11:43 PM

They can't record 480p?

post #135 of 144 Old 09-30-2013, 03:53 AM
AVS Special Member

None that I'm aware of, only 480i frown.gif
post #136 of 144 Old 09-30-2013, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 319
I could have sworn I fed my old Polaroid 1080p all the time. When it was on, it would downconvert and record 480i, and when it was off, pass 1080p. I don't recall ever having to change my source resolution for recording to work. That being said, component on my Polaroid was ten times worse than S-video on my Panasonics. So you're really better off with a good quality recorder, even if you're limited to a 480i analog input.
post #137 of 144 Old 09-30-2013, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

You could be right dave, I don't have a Polo and am only going off what I'm remembering I've read......I do remember the Polo was one of the few that would pass HD, didn't remember it would downconvert though, you may be right.
And on your second point I'm in total agreement, all of the component input DVDRs I've read about have just passable picture quality(maybe with the exception of the Sony built Sonys) for sure not better than a better DVDR using S-video. The only reason one might be interested in the component input would be to bypass CP, or maybe if the device you were recording from only put out wide screen over HD outputs but even then a $40 component to S-video converter would probably be at least as good or better picture quality using a decent DVDR.
post #138 of 144 Old 09-30-2013, 04:12 PM

It didn't have to be powered on to pass through the signal? I haven't found a DVD recorder like that yet, I remember it was possible on my old VCRs

post #139 of 144 Old 09-30-2013, 10:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiiztec View Post

It didn't have to be powered on to pass through the signal? I haven't found a DVD recorder like that yet, I remember it was possible on my old VCRs

No, it did not have to be powered on. That circuitry was active even when the machine was off. If you unplugged it, it would no longer pass through the signal.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #140 of 144 Old 10-11-2013, 09:16 AM
Advanced Member

Hello all I see this post is a bit old but I would like to revisit
I am moving soon and would make some DVDs of stuff on my drv ..
Is there any DVD burners that have component video inputs anymore ?If so where can I get one
Thanks
post #141 of 144 Old 10-11-2013, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 334
There are none sold anymore. If you want component input you will need to buy a PC capture device like a Hauppauge HD PVR.
The best you can do these days with a DVDR is S-Video.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #142 of 144 Old 10-11-2013, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 319
There are still some old Polaroid 2001G's with component on ebay for about $100, but in spite of having component their picture totally sucks. It's far worse than S-video on a Panasonic or similar quality recorder.
post #143 of 144 Old 10-11-2013, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

If your DVR only outputs WS from it's component output then something like this component to S-video converter would give you a signal(S-video) that all DVDRs could record.
Oh and if your programs have any CP the converter also has the advantage of removing it during the conversion process.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10114&cs_id=1011407&p_id=7114&seq=1&format=2
This converter is very inexpensive and doesn't produce the best picture quality but it's still probably better than a Polaroid, better converters are >$200 in which case I'd really think about the Hauppauge HD PVR Kelson mentioned.
post #144 of 144 Old 10-12-2013, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

If your DVR only outputs WS from it's component output then something like this component to S-video converter would give you a signal(S-video) that all DVDRs could record.
Oh and if your programs have any CP the converter also has the advantage of removing it during the conversion process.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10114&cs_id=1011407&p_id=7114&seq=1&format=2
This converter is very inexpensive and doesn't produce the best picture quality but it's still probably better than a Polaroid, better converters are >$200 in which case I'd really think about the Hauppauge HD PVR Kelson mentioned.

That is a nice converter that jjeff mentioned.
I use that to burn SD backups from Blu-Ray's to my Panasonic DVDR(s).
I prefer the component over the HDMI converter, as long as the source (Blu-Ray player) still has component outputs.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page