List of DVD Recorders with Component Inputs (Component, not composite)
1) Polaroid 2001G (80gb HDD)
2) Magnavox MRV700 combo DVD + VHS recorder. AVS post
3a) Philips DVDR 70/72/75/80, VR615, DVDR3400
3b) Philips HDRW 720 (80gb HDD (HardDiskDrive))
4) Sony RDR-HX900 (160gb HDD)
5) Magnavox MRV660, MRV640
Since most DVD recorders do not have Component Input, here is a partial list of DVD recorders Without
1) All from Panasonic
2) All from Pioneer
For details on HighDef (HD) recording (current DVD recorders cannot do it), see the sticky thread at the top of the forum list.Benefits of Component Input on DVD Recorders
1) Ability to record directly from a Component source
2) Some cable/satellite STB (boxes) output 16:9 content with black bars (letterboxing) via S-video. This is an issue if you want to record full-frame 16:9 without the black bars. Generally cable/satellite STBs can be configured to output 16:9 without letterboxing via the Component Output. Thus Component Input on a DVD recorder may allow you to record full-frame 16:9 without black bars. This is 16:9 Standard definition 480i, not high-def. For more details, please check with each DVD recorders manual/user-threads and each cable/satellite STB's manual/forum. (All this is independent from the Widescreen flag which only affects how 16:9 content is displayed on a 4:3 TV).
*** Please make any additions, corrections, rephrasings, as necessary...