DVD Recorder / VHS combo recommendations? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-03-2007, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

I have a friend looking for a combo player - VHS / DVD recorder. I've seen several online, including some with HDD's as well. One thing I know he is looking for is ease of connections (ie - HDMI).

Anyone have some recommendations as to what to look for, or specific models? Also, are there any new ones just around the corner worth waiting for? And possibly just as important - any models to completely avoid?

EDIT: a bit more info: I believe they are looking for the ability to transfer VCR tapes to blank DVD's as well. I guess I'm looking for suggestions for a combo VCR/DVD recorder that has HDMI output: some suggestions including a HDD and some suggestions without one.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-03-2007, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

The only Combo units I would want as a main unit are the Panasonic's.

Panasonic Models that have an HDMI Output are the DMR-ES45V or the DMR-ES46V, which is the same as the 45V but comes with an included HDMI Cable & is sold only at Warehouse Clubs (Sam's, Costco & Etc).

The Panasonic DMR-EH75V has an HDMI Output & an 80GB HDD.

Prices for the 45V/46V are around $270 - $300 & for the H75V around $400

If he wants to go the cheaper route without an HDMI Output & HDD then take a look at the Funai Combos that have been getting good reviews & are sold at Wal-Mart under the names of SV2000 & Magnavox or PYE at Circuit City & at other stores under Sylvania, Symphonic, or Emerson brands. At one time Wal-Mart had the SV2000 Combo on sale for only $99.00 & it may still be that price?

But as I said above, if it's going to be the "Main" DVD/VCR Recorder in a system than I would stick with a Panasonic unit.
post #3 of 4 Old 01-03-2007, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Bill1313! I'll take a look at those Panasonics. Appreciate it!
post #4 of 4 Old 01-03-2007, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweppner View Post

Hello,

I have a friend looking for a combo player - VHS / DVD recorder. I've seen several online, including some with HDD's as well. One thing I know he is looking for is ease of connections (ie - HDMI).

Anyone have some recommendations as to what to look for, or specific models? Also, are there any new ones just around the corner worth waiting for? And possibly just as important - any models to completely avoid?

EDIT: a bit more info: I believe they are looking for the ability to transfer VCR tapes to blank DVD's as well. I guess I'm looking for suggestions for a combo VCR/DVD recorder that has HDMI output: some suggestions including a HDD and some suggestions without one.

Thanks!

LG has two DVD Recorders that they demo'd last year. I suspect that with CES coming around soon, there will be more info on these.

One of the units is a DVD-Recorder only. The other one is a DVD-Recorder/VHS combo unit. I believe both have HDMI ports. Neither has a hard drive. The best part of these units is that both have QAM tuners (and ATSC ones as well - I think), although it doesn't record in HD. It'll downconvert the HD to SD to record to DVD or VHS. Then it'll upconvert back to HD to display. Not perfect, but it's workable.

I first read about it on hdtvexpert.com. There's an article about an LG show for 2006.

ft
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page