Dimax Grex any good??? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 01-17-2007, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is the Dimax grex any good. Please post if you have one and if you are happy with it.

Thanks

"Sometimes if we keep our eyes and ears open, we may be surpised at what wisdom we may gain!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 01-17-2007, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Do a search here & you will get some info on it.
post #3 of 22 Old 01-17-2007, 05:41 PM
Advanced Member

Posts I have read here have been quite favorable. I do not own one myself. I am one of those Polaroid guys. The Polaroid act as a video filter. Strange huh
post #4 of 22 Old 01-18-2007, 12:17 AM

I have a Grex and very happy with it. No negative video effects.
post #5 of 22 Old 02-08-2007, 04:16 PM

I have one, and I was initially very disappointed in the video distortion it is causing. I contacted Dimax via email with the issue and they instructed me to change the operational mode, and this completely solved my problem (I am using a Panasonic DMR-ES25 recorder and operational mode 002).

I am now a very satisfied customer. The unit is exceedingly easy to use and is compatible with composite, S-Video AND component video feeds. At this time I have only used it with the composite feed from a VCR, but I am unable to detect any reduction in video quality with the Grex connected. I highly recommend this device.
post #6 of 22 Old 05-13-2009, 02:36 AM

Hi all!
Is this topic still alive? I saw here a few people satisfied with xdimax grex device. I wonder if the company is still active and this grex is up to date to all types of protections?
post #7 of 22 Old 05-13-2009, 05:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by March Hare View Post

Hi all!
Is this topic still alive? I saw here a few people satisfied with xdimax grex device. I wonder if the company is still active and this grex is up to date to all types of protections?

Protections haven't changed, even the oldest ones still work.
post #8 of 22 Old 05-13-2009, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Anyone searching for the "perfect" video CP filter, one that has virtually no negative effect on the image, is on a fools quest and will be disappointed. All these filters have a compromise somewhere, because they are built to sell at a healthy profit. The Grex is not particularly better or worse than any other filter out there, but its better promoted and has caught the fancy of many forum posters. Some love it, say they got a "flawlessly working" unit, others hate it, especially its nitpicky peculiar mode settings which don't appear on most other filters.

The old Sima CT-2 and CT-200 are equally (or more) effective, simpler to operate, and can be found on the second hand market occasionally at competitive prices. They are easier to resell because of the name recognition, if you only need one for a short term project and hope to ditch it later at no loss, look for a Sima.

Most CP filters sell for absolutely ridiculous prices, given they are "one trick pony" solutions. Every one of them is nothing more than a glorified barely-functional garage project, whether its made in China, Israel or the USA. Don't be fooled by the Grex "futuristic" casing: its a $10 item tarted up as something special. The globally-marketed Simas were mass-produced, yet even they show tremendous variations in quality. There is something inherent in the design of ALL filters that leads to extreme sample-to-sample variations: some are near-perfect, others tint the image, or soften it, or lighten/darken it, or some combination of traits. Models that offer adjustments can require constant adjustment: each source is filtered differently, often you'll find settings counterintuitive and you'll need to experiment.

I recommend carefully considering your needs before buying one of these. They can be very useful for short-term quickndirty projects, but if you want something for the long haul (permanent connection to your satellite decoder, etc), consider other options. A second-hand recorder like the old Polaroids mentioned on AVS can act as very clean filters, and you can get excellent deals on units with broken drives (you don't need it to actually record, just power on for use as a passthru filter). Or, check online vendors like B&H Photo/Video for the AVT-8710, a full-fledged TBC based on the Sima CT-200 chassis. This compact unit sells for not much more than some overpriced filters, but has much better circuitry and more flexible image adjustments.

Don't limit your shopping to only the Grex: it could be perfect for you, but be sure you've explored all the alternatives first.
post #9 of 22 Old 05-13-2009, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by CitiBear View Post

...I recommend carefully considering your needs before buying one of these. They can be very useful for short-term quickndirty projects, but if you want something for the long haul (permanent connection to your satellite decoder, etc), consider other options. A second-hand recorder like the old Polaroids mentioned on AVS can act as very clean filters, and you can get excellent deals on units with broken drives (you don't need it to actually record, just power on for use as a passthru filter). Or, check online vendors like B&H Photo/Video for the AVT-8710, a full-fledged TBC based on the Sima CT-200 chassis. This compact unit sells for not much more than some overpriced filters, but has much better circuitry and more flexible image adjustments.

I have to say that sometimes it isn't completely clear what the best option might be, but in the case? The Polaroid 2001G was selling for $80 plus shipping, while the AVT-8710 sells at B&H for over $200. While I acknowledge that the AVT does things that the Polaroid doesn't, and visa versa, if all you need is some Grex-type device, the Polaroid is by far the cheaper option. Who would have thought it? It's even cheaper than the Video Filter.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #10 of 22 Old 05-13-2009, 10:58 AM

Liked: 11
I have had a Grex for over two years and have copied everything from old VHS tapes with the earliest copy protection to the newest DVD's and satellite signals and it has worked perfectly every time.
post #11 of 22 Old 05-13-2009, 01:22 PM

I own a Dimax Grex and I have had great results with it.
post #12 of 22 Old 05-14-2009, 05:52 AM
AVS Special Member

A CT-200, a DP-5000 and a 7000 and I love them all. I have one hooked up to each of my recorders.
post #13 of 22 Old 05-14-2009, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Ditto here for 3, but all 3 of mine are CT-2's. They work on everything I've tried. HeartlandAmerica.com occasionally sells referbed CT-2s for $79 I think. They had them listed less than a month back but I don't see them online now. It's one of those grab em' when they have em' things.
post #14 of 22 Old 06-27-2009, 03:32 AM

Thank you all for response. I went on grex after all, as i don't like second hand goods (meant sima CT-200). No need to responce anymore, thank's again!
post #15 of 22 Old 05-31-2014, 05:24 PM

I purchased a Grex XDIMAX unit , installed it in five minutes, and it worked instantly, perfectly... removing the macrovision copy protection scheme that is being sent downsteream with HBO,Showtime,etc . . .  that new blocking signal  stopped me from recording those channels that I pay for. My  DVD  refused to record, switching into a previously unseen status,telling me that the recording was unavailable. 

Since I pay for the channels, I believe that I should be able to record them for my personal viewing. With the Grex XDIMAX, that electronic lock is totally removed, and I am back to safe DVR recording of every channel.  Now I can record them again and watch the contents at my preferred time. Worth every penny!

post #16 of 22 Old 05-31-2014, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

I agree, my Grex is now my go-to MV remover. Amazon sells the Grex cheaper than I paid for my Sima's 15?? years ago and it works better, a real bargain IMO.

post #17 of 22 Old 05-31-2014, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfinger View Post

I purchased a Grex XDIMAX unit , installed it in five minutes, and it worked instantly, perfectly... removing the macrovision copy protection scheme that is being sent downsteream with HBO,Showtime,etc . . .  that new blocking signal  stopped me from recording those channels that I pay for. My  DVD  refused to record, switching into a previously unseen status,telling me that the recording was unavailable. 
Since I pay for the channels, I believe that I should be able to record them for my personal viewing. With the Grex XDIMAX, that electronic lock is totally removed, and I am back to safe DVR recording of every channel.  Now I can record them again and watch the contents at my preferred time. Worth every penny!
Please use the default colors when you post so others with different background colors can read them.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #18 of 22 Old 06-21-2014, 05:28 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 12
for what it's worth, i emailed grex asking what the highest video resolution on the output side was (and from which connections) - their response email indicated 480i
post #19 of 22 Old 06-22-2014, 06:38 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryccf View Post
for what it's worth, i emailed grex asking what the highest video resolution on the output side was (and from which connections) - their response email indicated 480i
The Video Filter can do 480i and 1080i and it switches automatically. Of course, to do 1080i, you have to run the Luminance "Y" component video cable through it.
post #20 of 22 Old 06-22-2014, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryccf View Post
DVD recorders can only do 480 and the Grex is made to go between anything and a DVD recorder, STB, Roku, etc. If you want HD you need to get a Hauppage and record to your computer. To record in SD the Grex works great. The source can be 1080p but the DVD recorder will record it at 480.
post #21 of 22 Old 06-22-2014, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Even if using a PC if the source is CP'd you wouldn't be able to record it, without the aid of something like the Video Filter or another filter which cleans up the Y or Luminance.
post #22 of 22 Old 06-22-2014, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
Even if using a PC if the source is CP'd you wouldn't be able to record it, without the aid of something like the Video Filter or another filter which cleans up the Y or Luminance.
True. I think the point here is that the Video filter is the device you would need to clean up an HD component feed into a Hauppauge whereas the Grex won't cut it.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page