Toshiba RD-XS35 fan noise issue - found a fix for it - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 02-02-2007, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all,

Like many new Toshiba RD-XS35 owners, especially here in Canada, I took advantage of the Boxing Day sale at Best Buy to get one of these beauts at CDN$250.

Thanks to the input of other owners on this forum, any issues that I had with my RD-XS35 was laid to rest, and it works perfectly for me - except for the fan noise issue. After 3 weeks, I knew that the fan noise was a potential deal-breaker - I even opened the case and examined the fan - which is actually whisper quiet, the source of the noise is from the rush of air through the air vents, and resonance through the case.

In the forums here, someone mentioned that a RD-XS34 owner managed to reduce the fan speed of his DVD recorder, and posted about it, so I decided to look on the web for that . Lo and behold, I found it!

As a forum newbie, I can't post the URL here, so if you want to read the article, do a Google search and type in "making the Toshiba RD-XS34 fan quiet" - the first result should be the article in question.

The article is quite detailed and self-explanatory - and IT WORKS! My machine is now whisper quiet, it's been about two weeks now since I did the mod, and there seem to be hardly any difference in operating temperature. It may be slightly warmer when it's in recording mode, but not so much as to be of concern.

Some important points to consider:

- the innards of the RS-XS35 are virtually identical to the RD-XS34, at least the areas where the mod is done

- the trim pot that is used is called a vertical trim pot - Canadians, believe it or not you won't find it at The Source by Circuit City up here - the store I went to actually told me to go to a 'proper electronics store' - which I guess safely eliminates them.....

- I couldn't find a 500 ohm trim pot, and used a 200 ohm one instead - it worked just fine. I live in Vancouver, BC, and got my trim pot from Main Electronics at 4554 Main Street.

DO THIS MOD AT YOUR OWN RISK - like the author of the article says, you may have voided the warranty by doing so - or even worst, if you botch it up, you are left with a very expensive paperweight. I weighed the pros and cons, and decided to take the risk. Oh, and the trim pot cost me just a dollar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 02-02-2007, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here's the link:

http://www.mediachance.com/dvdlab/xs34/index.html

Great stuff. Thanks!
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)