Who is happy with their Panasonic DMR- ES25S DVD recorders? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 02-18-2007, 05:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am looking for a good quality inexpensive way to transfer programs from my SA 8300 cable box to a DVD and so far the Panny ES25 seems to be the one to go with. What else can you recomend?
Tennispro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-20-2007, 12:56 PM

I have the Panasonic DMR-ES25S and I personally feel it does its job very well. Like on other recorder, you can set scheduled recordings and it will automatically switch to the correct input on the record. Unfortunately there is no way to control your cable/satellite receiver, so you will have to make sure the correct channel is set on the receiver before recording. I really like the fact that it will upconvert DVDs to 1080i or 720p via HDMI, which it dose a great job with. I think its a great recorder for the price. Good luck with your purchase.
post #3 of 12 Old 02-21-2007, 03:39 AM

THe ES25 is a really good player but, I have not been happy with the recording quality since day one. I even exchanged it for another one. The only reason I kept the unit is because it plays extremely well with my Panasonic Plasma TV as a player.
If I were you i would look very closely at the Toshibas.

"Sometimes if we keep our eyes and ears open, we may be surpised at what wisdom we may gain!"
post #4 of 12 Old 03-08-2007, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

If I connect this DVD recorder to my HDMI input of my projector, will it upconvert analog RF cable signal to 720p/1080i via HDMI? I know it upconverts DVDs to 720p and 1080i via HDMI.

Huey ;-]
post #5 of 12 Old 03-09-2007, 03:39 PM

I know it will pass-through any inputs you connect to the device, but i'm not sure about RF cable. I know it will pass-through the signal for composite and s-video connections. So bascially, it will pass the signal through the HDMI, but not upconvert it.
post #6 of 12 Old 03-14-2007, 02:24 PM

I have the Pan/DMR-ES25S, It does a terrific job in upconverting my DVDs with my Panasonic 42" plasma. Although I don't record that often, I was impressed when I recorded 'The Omen' remake off my SAT receiver--make sure you use the S-Video input when recording.
post #7 of 12 Old 03-21-2007, 01:49 PM

Is there a reason NOT to buy the Es25? I saw an ES15 for $119 but was told I'd be better off spendiong more for the ES25...WHY? Soes it have a tuner built in. I had read pq was superb even at longer speeds...tru?
post #8 of 12 Old 03-22-2007, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreLaplume View Post

Is there a reason NOT to buy the Es25? I saw an ES15 for $119 but was told I'd be better off spendiong more for the ES25...WHY? Soes it have a tuner built in. I had read pq was superb even at longer speeds...tru?

The ES15 does NOT provide DVD upconversion playback at 1080i/720p. The ES15 will only playback 480p. There's a big difference. If you have an HDTV with an HDMI input or are planning to get one soon, spend the extra $50 on the upconverting ES25. My DVDs look spectacular on my Panasonic TH-42PX60U plasma.

On my plasma settings, I set the Black Level to 'Dark' & upped the Brightness setting to '15' for ES25 playback. Gorgeous PQ on DVD playback.
post #9 of 12 Old 03-23-2007, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zangari View Post

The ES15 does NOT provide DVD upconversion playback at 1080i/720p. The ES15 will only playback 480p. There's a big difference. If you have an HDTV with an HDMI input or are planning to get one soon, spend the extra $50 on the upconverting ES25. My DVDs look spectacular on my Panasonic TH-42PX60U plasma.

On my plasma settings, I set the Black Level to 'Dark' & upped the Brightness setting to '15' for ES25 playback. Gorgeous PQ on DVD playback.

Ok, then ES25 it is.

I want tgis thing to primary convert 30 or so VHS / Mini DV tapes to dvd? Is this hard to do. I have a Sony mini DVD. I heard only Panasonics will plug in the front and work?

Also, do you think the thing will have any life in after do that?

And....if it is still alive, can I use it as a VCR...does it have a tuner? I heard the new one coming out will have some sort of tuner...?

Finally, what are the reccomnded settings for best pic quality with a tube tv and whats the best way to connect it. Thanks!
post #10 of 12 Old 03-23-2007, 04:54 PM

Quote:

Ok, then ES25 it is.

I want tgis thing to primary convert 30 or so VHS / Mini DV tapes to dvd? Is this hard to do. I have a Sony mini DVD. I heard only Panasonics will plug in the front and work?

And....if it is still alive, can I use it as a VCR...does it have a tuner? I heard the new one coming out will have some sort of tuner...?

Finally, what are the reccomnded settings for best pic quality with a tube tv and whats the best way to connect it. Thanks!

There are six inputs on the front: the standard 3 A/V inputs, S-Video, DV (camcorder) input, and the SD card slot. It doesn't have a tuner. You shouldn't have any problems duping your tapes--I've been too lazy to dupe my VHS library (which is fairly small). I've only recorded from my SAT receiver via S-Video with excellent results.

Regarding product life, that's hard to say, but I haven't had any problems with mine and the unit doesn't run hot, even after several hours of use (my HD/SAT receiver, on the other hand, runs as hot as a toaster). Regarding 'using it as a VCR', why not just hook it up to your SAT receiver/cable box and record that way? Or are you pulling everything off an antenna? Sorry, I don't record a lot.

On best hook-up: For recording, I'd recommend the S-Video input except for SD (camcorder), which has its own input. Most VCRs don't have S-Video out, so you would probably have to use standard composite video (yellow) when duping your VHS tapes. When recording there's only one audio option, your standard stereo inputs. Use the fastest recording mode possible when duping your tapes (usually SP).

For DVD playback, use HDMI if your TV has it. If you have DVI, buy a DVI-HDMI adapter. HDMI connectivity will give you 1080i/720p upconversion on standard DVDs. But you need to go into the ES25 setup and select 1080i/720p over HDMI--it's not set by default. If you don't have HDMI or DVI on your set, use component, which will give you 480p. Use fiber optic for your audio connections, if you have a Dolby Digital receiver.

I hope that helps.
post #11 of 12 Old 03-23-2007, 10:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:

Ok, then ES25 it is.

This unit does have a tuner it's just a regular analog one so it will tune all the vhf and uhf stations as well as non-digital cable channels. The unit can be easy to use as a vcr if you just want to put in a disc and record. And of course it will that tape transfer things you wnat to do.

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
post #12 of 12 Old 05-22-2007, 07:40 PM

I picked up one of these at CC over the weekend.

In the near term I intend to use it to archive VHS tapes to DVD and to play DVDs. If I archive 6 VHS tapes, I will have recouped my investment.

Once I get a E* DVR, I'll use it to record satellite braodcasts.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page