Sorry, I'm totall lost and confuse. Is there a - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 02-22-2007, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is there a DVD recorder out there with an ATSC tuner and a hard drive?

thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 02-22-2007, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
no, and none have been announced.

At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 22 Old 02-22-2007, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

well, that's crappy...can't be that hard to do.
post #4 of 22 Old 02-22-2007, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

It's got nothing to do with ease or difficulty to do. It's all about what the MPAA will allow them to give you. It's a bunch of Lawyers deciding what we will get and when we will get it.

Dave
post #5 of 22 Old 02-22-2007, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glodino View Post

thanks.

None for the North America market. Toshiba has announced a couple of semi-expensive (for what they do) ones for Japan with what could be dual-tuners or capability to record two things at once. The press release is computer-translated from Japanese so the details are not 100% certain, until we find someone proficient in Japanese that can translate it

Boldly trying a new DVR:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 22 Old 02-22-2007, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncaahoops View Post

None for the North America market. Toshiba has announced a couple of semi-expensive (for what they do) ones for Japan with what could be dual-tuners or capability to record two things at once. The press release is computer-translated from Japanese so the details are not 100% certain, until we find someone proficient in Japanese that can translate it

The one's in Japan won't have an ATSC tuner, but rather their version of a digital OTA tuner, so even if you could get your hands on one, you couldn't tune ATSC channels.

At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it.

post #7 of 22 Old 02-23-2007, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Same for the ones (Panasonics and Pioneers) in the UK. They have HDDs and digital tuners but they won't work in North America.

RG
post #8 of 22 Old 02-23-2007, 06:31 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Definitely some strange, noticeable absence of new HDD DVD Recorders from Sony these days in the North American market.

Sony/UK has had a next generation HDD DVD Recorder for sale for six months already, beyond the last model that Sony had for sale over here. The last model that Sony had for sale here, the HX-715, has been discontinued with no announced replacement.

Sony/Japan, is at least two, if not three generations ahead on HDD equipped DVD Recorder models then what was sold over here, in the North American market. And they regularly come out with new models all the time over in Japan.

And these are not HD models, but just SD recorders. So how much more trouble would it be to just "Americanize" them since they are more or less designed already?

nx211
post #9 of 22 Old 02-23-2007, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

That is the question that all of us are asking.

RG
post #10 of 22 Old 02-23-2007, 08:38 AM

Quote:

thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivartk View Post

no, and none have been announced.

And I would offer that this is perhaps, the reason why not:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wabjxo View Post

In April 2006, TIVO won a lawsuit against Echostar for using TIVO's patented "Multimedia Time Warping System. The invention allows the user to store selected television broadcast programs while the user is simultaneously watching or reviewing another program."

Essentially, today's DVRs.

People in the know say this could affect all DVRs.

The suit was recently stayed, but only temporarily (Aug 06).

DirecTV recently signed up for 3 more years in a TIVO support deal, while it develops its own DVR. Should be interesting...TIVO lawyers are probably lurking. According to media, TIVO has many patents people haven't been paying much attention to.

Anyway, these legalities might explain the lack of new HDD units, since they might be considered "Multimedia Time Warping Systems"???

That was a quote from this thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=800912

nx211
post #11 of 22 Old 02-23-2007, 08:59 AM

And, no doubt, it's the same reason why Sony, Panasonic and Toshiba recently said why they have no plans to sell any HD DVD Recorders in North America, yet have begun selling them in Japan.

A CNET Article:
http://news.com.com/Japan+says+no+to...3-6122067.html

nx211
post #12 of 22 Old 02-23-2007, 09:26 AM

Great... so TiVo is screwing us whether we pay them or not... pardon my French!

I think I am getting dangerously close to buying a second Pio640 to stick on the shelf in my basement for when my current unit eventually dies.

How sad that it will come to that.

Theron

---------------------------------------------------------
Theron's cruise info:
|
|
post #13 of 22 Old 02-24-2007, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPKeller2 View Post

Great... so TiVo is screwing us whether we pay them or not... pardon my French!

Nope, they are sick and tired of others making money off what they innovated.
post #14 of 22 Old 02-24-2007, 01:21 AM
Advanced Member

They need to watch out. Which came first, computers or TiVo?
post #15 of 22 Old 02-24-2007, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvernon View Post

Nope, they are sick and tired of others making money off what they innovated.

The company I used to work for is also suing many companies (Echostar, etc) for the use of their patent '746

Source
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgent View Post

The 746 Patent, which expires on May 21, 2011, relates to a computer controlled video system allowing playback during recording. During playback, the system reads the video content from the storage component. The 746 Patent derived from application serial number 07/703,685 that was filed on May 21, 1991.

That company, that laid me off in 2002 has made millions from Sony, Kodak, etc suing for their .jpg patent...pretty dirty if you ask me....10 years later you start asking for royalities

post #16 of 22 Old 02-24-2007, 07:58 AM

Quote:

This is obvious, but just wanted to point out you can do this with a computer. I know: relatively expensive and not overly easy to set up.
post #17 of 22 Old 02-24-2007, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielCard View Post

This is obvious, but just wanted to point out you can do this with a computer. I know: relatively expensive and not overly easy to set up.

I wouldn't say it is hard to set up, but stability is the big issue. From people that I have know running one, rebooting a "couple of times a week" was normal. Not acceptable to me....thus the reason I didn't go that direction.

post #18 of 22 Old 02-24-2007, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

...pretty dirty if you ask me....10 years later you start asking for royalities

I agree that this kind of behaviour is dirty tricks. I understand why they do it... if they ask for royalities when the technology is young then the market will find an alternative (witness Firewire vs. USB) - so they wait until it's become an industry fixture and everyone depends on the technology. But it's predatory. For the fast-moving tech industry there should be some sort of provision in the patent laws that dissolves the patent if infringements aren't enforced in a timely manner.
post #19 of 22 Old 02-24-2007, 02:25 PM

Quote:

I wouldn't say it is hard to set up, but stability is the big issue. From people that I have know running one, rebooting a "couple of times a week" was normal. Not acceptable to me....thus the reason I didn't go that direction.

I wonder which flavor that was. Linux, windows, windows MCE? I may try to set up a Linux ubuntu myth TV version.
post #20 of 22 Old 02-24-2007, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Even if it doesn't need a reboot, until the HTPC becomes like an appliance (like a DVDr) the acceptance by the general public will be limited. It doesn't seem like it's that far away - MS firmware is already running is some cable co DVRs. To make an HTPC into an appliance, most PC related software must be removed.
post #21 of 22 Old 02-24-2007, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielCard View Post

I wonder which flavor that was. Linux, windows, windows MCE? I may try to set up a Linux ubuntu myth TV version.

It was MythTV on Linux, but I'm not sure which distro. My friend is the network manager where I work, so he tends to know his stuff . Since he doesn't have an HDTV yet, he just uses a TiVo series two and streams the video that he wants to keep to his PC to burn to DVD that way. He found this easier than maintaining the mythTV box.

post #22 of 22 Old 03-19-2007, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, that's all very annoying, but I guess we get the last laugh since Tivo seems to be doomed. Let's see, I can pay $800 for their HD box plus $12 a month, or rent one from my provider for $12 a month. Hmmm.....
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page