Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 323 Old 03-23-2007, 09:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeromeS View Post

Okay I just talked to Tim at Audio Advisor and they said they have 50 left. They are going for $399 plus there are some demo models going for $339. I forgot to ask but according to their website, they are authorized dealers for all their products. By the way I have bought from them in the past and have always got a the products I ordered. I am not connected with them in any way, just a satisfied customer. I sure wish I could get one but I've got too much electronics as it is and I know my wife would kill me if I got another piece. I'll just have to live with my Panasonic DMR-ES20.

Well go get 'em boys!

Pioneer 640 NIB

Pioneer 640 Demo

BBB Info

I'll add my thanks for this heads up as well. Just got mine this morning! I think I will stop buying them now... this one is going for a gift.

Shipping was free, and they just slapped a FedEx sticker on the retail box... but all seems intact inside, guess we'll find out when we plug it in...

Oh, BTW, the manufacture date on this one is September 2006.

Theron

---------------------------------------------------------
Theron's cruise info: tip calculator | maps | photos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 323 Old 03-23-2007, 12:13 PM

Some info from Canada:

Last night I was in a BB store, just outside Toronto (Whitby), and they had a sale on various DVD recorders. Underneath the display models were boxes of each model, two Sony hardrive models and a Phillips hardrive model. There was a Pioneer 640, $435C, I think (deduct about 15% to get U.S. $), but there were no boxes underneath the display unit. I wanted to find out whether this was the only one in stock, and if not, how many the store in the Toronto area had. The only salesman in charge of this area was busy with someone making a large purchase (high-end flats-screen TV etc.), and I had to leave, being late to be somewhere.

This was the same BB store where I bought my 543 model last fall.

I had been toying with the idea of offering to buy all the 640s in the Toronto area if they'd give me a good price!

I don't think the ban on the models W/O digital tuners has come into force in Canada, and don't know whether there are plans.

It occurred to me that chains existing on both sides of the border such as BB might ship all their "illegal" models to Canada.

On these sorts of U.S. regulations Canada either follows the U.S. a few years later or not at all.

Before going to BB, I had been in Costco and they still had the 540 model, with about 30 boxes under the display model: $349C.

Cardano
post #183 of 323 Old 03-23-2007, 12:39 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by gurax View Post

First i don't understand why would u guys buy two or even three of them when u can just buy an extended warranty plan for 50-70$ and u r covered for years.

Second i just ordered my xs35 for 320$

Third i'll share some of my research results with u guys now that i'm done.

Pioneer fans don't push each other : cheapest deal found so far by me Pio 640 for 310$ + 30 shipping i believe

DISREPUTABLE DEALER.....NONE IN STOCK ANYWAY!
post #184 of 323 Old 03-23-2007, 06:32 PM

Quote:

Okay I just talked to Tim at Audio Advisor and they said they have 50 left. They are going for $399 plus there are some demo models going for $339. I forgot to ask but according to their website, they are authorized dealers for all their products. By the way I have bought from them in the past and have always got a the products I ordered. I am not connected with them in any way, just a satisfied customer. I sure wish I could get one but I've got too much electronics as it is and I know my wife would kill me if I got another piece. I'll just have to live with my Panasonic DMR-ES20.

Well go get 'em boys!

Pioneer 640 NIB

Pioneer 640 Demo

BBB Info

ACCORDING TO PIONEER, AUDIO ADVISOR IS NOT AN AUTHORIZED PIONEER DEALER AND THEY WILL NOT HONOR THE WARRANTY....BEWARE!
post #185 of 323 Old 03-23-2007, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slprp1 View Post

ACCORDING TO PIONEER, AUDIO ADVISOR IS NOT AN AUTHORIZED PIONEER DEALER AND THEY WILL NOT HONOR THE WARRANTY....BEWARE!

What's really interesting is if you use the Find A Store option on the Pioneer Electronics site and enter in 49512 which is Audio Advisor's zip code, they do come up as a dealer for the 640.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...49512&x=34&y=8
post #186 of 323 Old 03-23-2007, 09:11 PM

Quote:

What's really interesting is if you use the Find A Store option on the Pioneer Electronics site and enter in 49512 which is Audio Advisor's zip code, they do come up as a dealer for the 640.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...49512&x=34&y=8

How much more authorized can you get than that?

Thanks for posting that. Since AA claims on their web site to be authorized for every product they sell, I would think if someone caught them lying about it, they would point it out to the BBB, which apparently, nobody has yet done, since the BBB link posted earlier says there are no complaints.

Theron

post #187 of 323 Old 03-23-2007, 09:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
They're not listed as an authorized online dealer.
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...297187,00.html

(The whole thing is stupid of Pioneer, but that's sorta off topic)
post #188 of 323 Old 03-23-2007, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmscott42 View Post

They're not listed as an authorized online dealer.
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...297187,00.html

(The whole thing is stupid of Pioneer, but that's sorta off topic)

Interesting, neither is B&H Photovideo listed there, but I am hard pressed to imagine they are not an authorized dealer too.

Theron

post #189 of 323 Old 03-24-2007, 01:33 AM

I talked to Pioneer before too. I mentioned B & H and Pioneer told me that they are not an authorized dealer. I told them that B & H said they are and they told me they are not. They told me to look at the list on their site. The one that was listed above that shows all the on line dealers. She asked me if they are on the list. I said "no." She said, "then they are not an on line dealer."

After a while of thinking here's what I'm guessing is the deal. They have on line dealers and store dealers. They are considered two different things. The person(s) I talked to told me to look on the site and see the internet stores that sell that product. If your store is not there then it's not covered. That's why they told me that B & H is not covered, nor is Audio Advisor. Yet, Amazon, Your Electronic Warehouse, Vann's, etc. is on the list. They are authorized on line dealers. Yet, I'm guessing that those stores that are not on the list are Pioneer retaliers that are NOT allowed to sell over the internet. That's why they told me to go to a brick and mortar store to look for them that is authorized.

So, basically, if you live in N.Y. and can drive to that place (B & H) and buy one from that store (with a receipt that you bought it in state at that store) then you should be covered. Yet, if you bought the 640 over the interent out of state then you are NOT covered.

So, the person that said that, that store is not covered when he talked to Pioneer was given the right answer. Just like me, I was told B & H is not authorized, yet B & H told me that they were. I didn't understand why at the time but now I think I might. B & H, just like that place that was listed are authorized dealers IF you live in that state AND drive to that store AND buy the 640 right from that store. All the rest of us that that ordered this 640 from this place, or anywhere else that is not listed on Pioneer's website as an "internet" dealer is NOT covered by any warrenty because unless it's a store that is listed in that section then that store is only considered a brick and mortar store only. Even if they have a website to go along with it.

All I know for sure, is when I was asking about the 640. I called Pioneer quite a few times and they all told me the same thing. If it a store that is NOT on their list of "internet" stores then they are not authorized resellers of the 640.

Live in NY + drive to buy 640 at B & H's store directly (for example) with a receipt that you bought in state from that store = MIGHT be covered under their brick and mortar "authorized dealer" part (that's why they can say they are. If you buy it in state from them directly then they are.

Live in Florida and ordered a 640 on line from B & H's website (for example) + they are not listed as an "on line authorized" dealer = NO warranty from Pioneer.
post #190 of 323 Old 03-24-2007, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Time View Post

I talked to Pioneer before too. I mentioned B & H and Pioneer told me that they are not an authorized dealer. I told them that B & H said they are and they told me they are not. They told me to look at the list on their site. The one that was listed above that shows all the on line dealers. She asked me if they are on the list. I said "no." She said, "then they are not an on line dealer."

I have no doubt as to the accuracy of your report... However, this is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard!

How can a manufacturer deny warranty service solely based on who drives the merchandise from the retailer to my house? (Me in my car, or a professional delivery service such as UPS or FedEx...)

And to shed even more doubt... both of the dealers in question take telephone orders. Someone who has never touched a computer in their life can pick up the phone and have their merchadise ordered and delivered in the exact same manner as a person entering an order through a web interface.

If anyone has actually encountered the business end of this claim, please post your story, it needs attention and correction through the many public resources available to consumers.

I suspect you heard the rantings of a minimum-wage telephone operator, as opposed to someone who actually knows the Pioneer company policies. At least I hope so...

Theron

post #191 of 323 Old 03-24-2007, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPKeller2 View Post

I have no doubt as to the accuracy of your report... However, this is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard!

It is ridiculous, I agree. What Justin has reported about Pioneer warranties is not new. It has been known and discussed on this board for years that this is the way Pioneer operates (as opposed to Panasonic who warrants their merchandise from any dealer). Posters have always warned prospective Pioneer buyers to make sure the dealer was on the Pioneer list -- which means you may not always get the best prices. That is the point, of course, Pioneer is protecting their channel dealers margins.

So, the obligatory warning to you guys. As you hunt out the last remaining 640's out there, you run the risk that your purchase will have the status of "as-is" without any Pioneer warranty. That may even preclude your sending it back for the firmware update without charge. So be careful before you plunk down your $400 and make sure your eyes are wide open. Good luck.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #192 of 323 Old 03-24-2007, 11:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

It is ridiculous, I agree. What Justin has reported about Pioneer warranties is not new. It has been known and discussed on this board for years that this is the way Pioneer operates (as opposed to Panasonic who warrants their merchandise from any dealer). Posters have always warned prospective Pioneer buyers to make sure the dealer was on the Pioneer list -- which means you may not always get the best prices. That is the point, of course, Pioneer is protecting their channel dealers margins...

One of these days Pioneer could face a class action because of this. If Pioneer will only honor warranties from authorized resellers, then Pioneer itself should only sell to these dealers.

There are many, many unauthorized Pioneer resellers. Where do these unauthorized resellers get them other than from Pioneer?
post #193 of 323 Old 03-24-2007, 12:10 PM

But I think we're missing the point... this latest question is not about whether or not the vendor is authorized, but rather whether the individual sale itself counts as "authorized" based on whether the order was placed at the physical store location or remotely via a web interface.

To deny warranty coverage simply because the order was placed remotely instead of in person is completely outrageous. Selecting your authorized vendors to start with may have a certain benefit, as it allows for some control over things like gray product marketing, but to have different policies based solely on the method of sale is beyond comprehension.

Remember, each of the two vendors in question claims to be an authorized dealer, but the one report from a telephone operator at Pioneer seemed to blindly point to a list of "on line retailers" and not seeing those vendors listed, decreed them to be unauthorized.

At a very minimum, someone should let these vendors know that there is some dispute about this. I bet they would be quick to counter with a different story.

Theron

post #194 of 323 Old 03-24-2007, 12:20 PM

An authorized B&M Pio dealer selling on the internet told me that if I purchase, they would provide me with a receipt showing purchase from their authorized B&M store.

Seems like a reasonable workaround to me.

For those that purchased from Audio Advisor, what did your receipt look like?

Quote:

It is ridiculous, I agree. What Justin has reported about Pioneer warranties is not new. It has been known and discussed on this board for years that this is the way Pioneer operates (as opposed to Panasonic who warrants their merchandise from any dealer). Posters have always warned prospective Pioneer buyers to make sure the dealer was on the Pioneer list

post #195 of 323 Old 03-25-2007, 01:05 PM

Quote:

So, the obligatory warning to you guys. As you hunt out the last remaining 640's out there, you run the risk that your purchase will have the status of "as-is" without any Pioneer warranty. That may even preclude your sending it back for the firmware update without charge. So be careful before you plunk down your $400 and make sure your eyes are wide open. Good luck.

It was within the realm of possibility that I would have purchased one of these, as a hedge against future problems with the one I got from "authorized" channels, but now I think not.
post #196 of 323 Old 03-26-2007, 10:54 AM
Advanced Member

Great thread. I can't believe these are so hard to come by. Just placed my order at Audio Advisor and now I wait patiently.....thanks for the info.
post #197 of 323 Old 03-26-2007, 07:29 PM

One of these sold today on that auction site for 415. Another didn't get any bids with a starting price of 797.95. Seller relisted starting at 599.95, still

Current auction in progress, bids up to 580.

What a show.

Theron

post #198 of 323 Old 03-27-2007, 02:49 AM

Quote:

After a while of thinking here's what I'm guessing is the deal. They have on line dealers and store dealers. They are considered two different things. The person(s) I talked to told me to look on the site and see the internet stores that sell that product. If your store is not there then it's not covered. That's why they told me that B & H is not covered, nor is Audio Advisor. Yet, Amazon, Your Electronic Warehouse, Vann's, etc. is on the list. They are authorized on line dealers. Yet, I'm guessing that those stores that are not on the list are Pioneer retaliers that are NOT allowed to sell over the internet. That's why they told me to go to a brick and mortar store to look for them that is authorized.

So, basically, if you live in N.Y. and can drive to that place (B & H) and buy one from that store (with a receipt that you bought it in state at that store) then you should be covered. Yet, if you bought the 640 over the interent out of state then you are NOT covered.

So, the person that said that, that store is not covered when he talked to Pioneer was given the right answer. Just like me, I was told B & H is not authorized, yet B & H told me that they were. I didn't understand why at the time but now I think I might. B & H, just like that place that was listed are authorized dealers IF you live in that state AND drive to that store AND buy the 640 right from that store. All the rest of us that that ordered this 640 from this place, or anywhere else that is not listed on Pioneer's website as an "internet" dealer is NOT covered by any warrenty because unless it's a store that is listed in that section then that store is only considered a brick and mortar store only. Even if they have a website to go along with it.

All I know for sure, is when I was asking about the 640. I called Pioneer quite a few times and they all told me the same thing. If it a store that is NOT on their list of "internet" stores then they are not authorized resellers of the 640.

Live in NY + drive to buy 640 at B & H's store directly (for example) with a receipt that you bought in state from that store = MIGHT be covered under their brick and mortar "authorized dealer" part (that's why they can say they are. If you buy it in state from them directly then they are.

Live in Florida and ordered a 640 on line from B & H's website (for example) + they are not listed as an "on line authorized" dealer = NO warranty from Pioneer.

I purchased one of my 640's from B&H. I ran their zip code of 10001 at Pioneer and they are indeed listed.

I have sent this unit in for the firmware update and I will post if there are any problems with a denied warranty.
post #199 of 323 Old 03-28-2007, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ff-racer View Post

I purchased one of my 640's from B&H. I ran their zip code of 10001 at Pioneer and they are indeed listed.

I have sent this unit in for the firmware update and I will post if there are any problems with a denied warranty.

Did you purchase it over the web or did you go into the store to pay for it and carry it out?

Ed
post #200 of 323 Old 03-29-2007, 08:52 AM

Thank you-JeromeS
post #201 of 323 Old 03-30-2007, 02:51 AM

Quote:

I am happy to report Pioneer (Columbus, Oh.) received my 640 Mon 3-26 and sent it back Wed 3-28 with the updated firmware. There was no issue about where it was purchased from. Their Invoice was marked "In Warranty" "Updated Frimware (6.20) No Part Used"
Also a 2 day turn around time + travel time is pretty darn good IMO.
post #202 of 323 Old 03-30-2007, 05:42 AM

Liked: 11
Can somebody please explain to me why there is the need to quote an entire previous post ? It's not like we forgot what the topic is, lol...
Is there really the need to quote the whole damn thing ????? I can see quoting a particular part of it, or a sentence.... but the whole damn thing ????

Doesn't make sense... too much scrolling....waste of space.....
post #203 of 323 Old 03-30-2007, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Nelson View Post

Well, yes, I did say that the CC warranty matches the terms of the original warranty. The question was whether the original equipment manufacturer will honour the CC warranty, or whether you have to send it to somebody else to have it repaired.

Where did you have to send your units for repair?

One notable restriction on my credit card (Presidents Choice Financial Mastercard in Canada) that supposedly 'doubles' the manufacturer's warranty is that it only does so for up to a maximum of one year. I'm not sure if this is true of other Canadian (or US) cards or not...

FYI - I picked up a demo 640H-S (no box or manual) from Futureshop this past September for CDN$199. It was in great shape (no scratches or bullet holes) and came with the standard warranty. It seemed like a good deal at the time - having read the posts in this forum, I'm even happier about it now.
post #204 of 323 Old 03-30-2007, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes -- good deal.

RG
post #205 of 323 Old 03-30-2007, 10:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
I was in Future Shop in downtown Vancouver and Burnaby (Metrotown) today - both have 640's in boxes on the shelves for Cdn$467 (up from $399 a couple of weeks ago when I bought mine).
post #206 of 323 Old 04-02-2007, 04:56 AM
Advanced Member

one thing that I think is being overlooked by most people is that a OTA HD or ATSC will work even if you dont have a HDTV to watch it on also you will get the 16x9 formatt just only S-Video or at best component 480i/p and the best thing is with ATSC it is either there or not not static of snow just a great picture

I got one of these and use it for my bed room with S-Video and it looks fine better than the analod for watching 24 it isnt HD but it is 16x9

I want the retro skin back please
post #207 of 323 Old 04-02-2007, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftkidney View Post

one thing that I think is being overlooked by most people is that a OTA HD or ATSC will work even if you dont have a HDTV to watch it on also you will get the 16x9 formatt just only S-Video or at best component 480i/p and the best thing is with ATSC it is either there or not not static of snow just a great picture

I got one of these and use it for my bed room with S-Video and it looks fine better than the analod for watching 24 it isnt HD but it is 16x9

I understand that, but the 640 being discussed here lacks an ATSC tuner. I'm a little confused, did you post this in the wrong thread?

At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it.

My Little Theater
post #208 of 323 Old 04-04-2007, 06:46 PM

6th ave electronics is selling 6 Pan DMR-EH55S (open box) units on eBay currently.
Opening price is $359. All of a sudden these high end large HDD DVD Recorders are "coming out of the woodwork."
items#

Are the days of a $1000 DMR-EH55 unit over?

Are Pio640s coming out in quantity on eBay next?
post #209 of 323 Old 04-04-2007, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyjo View Post

6th ave electronics is selling 6 Pan DMR-EH55S (open box) units on eBay currently.
Opening price is $359. All of a sudden these high end large HDD DVD Recorders are "coming out of the woodwork."
items#

Are the days of a $1000 DMR-EH55 unit over?

Are Pio640s coming out in quantity on eBay next?

These are more than likely to be store demo units (they have multiple stores) that could have been used (and abused)!

As you should know, the "opening price" is meaningless!
Keep watching e-bay...... These are getting more valuable (as are the Pion. 640's), not less valuable!
post #210 of 323 Old 04-04-2007, 09:41 PM

I bought a Pioneer PRV9200 at B & H last April, and in August one of the inputs went out. I shipped it back to Pioneer, and they fixed it under Warranty. Now, I did go to B&H and buy the unit at the store. I don't see how Pioneer can split hairs like that, but maybe they can.

For anyone who wants to pay extra ($700-$950), B&H is still listing the 640H-SE, the 654E, and the 745E. They are multizone, Pal/NTSC recorders made, I think for the Oceana market.

I was speaking with the supervisor of customer service at Pioneer today, about the issue of upgrading burner firmware from 8x to 16x (not looking good), and mentioned these machines to him, and asked about warranty. He said if someone presented a product made for a different market, purchased legitimately, for service, that Pioneer would "try to work with" the purchaser.

For what it's worth.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page