AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

Model??

LG LST-3510A....upconverts DVD over DVI and outputs HDTV over DVI and component. Some firmware versions can be "tricked" to upconvert DVD over component, too.

Info on yet another good product that was discontinued.

At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 236 Old 04-08-2007, 05:40 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Just saw on the BB site, the LG's on sale for $206.
post #93 of 236 Old 04-08-2007, 10:39 AM

I returned the 797. After an uninspiring exchange with customer service, my 30 day return window was closing. They still don't even acknowledge the model on their website, let alone show progress towards the firmware update I know it needs to be fully useful to me.

It could not correctly display PBSHD, a channel I would most like to record. Every other 1080i station was displayed properly, but my PBS affiliate apparently uses a VBR ATSC standard that makes the LG choke.

It is a shame. I liked the machine overall.

Mike
post #94 of 236 Old 04-08-2007, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkjnovak View Post

I returned the 797. After an uninspiring exchange with customer service, my 30 day return window was closing. They still don't even acknowledge the model on their website, let alone show progress towards the firmware update I know it needs to be fully useful to me.

It could not correctly display PBSHD, a channel I would most like to record. Every other 1080i station was displayed properly, but my PBS affiliate apparently uses a VBR ATSC standard that makes the LG choke.

It is a shame. I liked the machine overall.

Mike

I am curious about your experience with it. What was your exchange with customer service about, and what do you think could be fixed with a sofwtare update?

I still think the LG is the coolest looking new recorder, and desperately wanted it to be good.
post #95 of 236 Old 04-08-2007, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyslav View Post

What was your exchange with customer service about, and what do you think could be fixed with a sofwtare update?

I said what. Sorry, I will try to go into more detail.

Last year my local PBS changed their broadcast of PBSHD from constant to variable bit rate (CBR, VBR).

The Philips TV I had at the time could no longer tune it. The picture was random pixel blocks. Then a firmware update fixed it and the TV could tune it again. This is why I feel a firmware update could also fix the 797.

Online support from LG is non-existant. All they do is give you useless stock answers and tell you to call the phone number. I did so. After a slightly long, but not pointless exchange, I finally felt I had adequately described the problem. The rep said he would be passing it on to tech. Then my 30 day return was ending with no further progress from them.

Also, interestingly enough, my current LG 50PC3D TV tunes the station fine. I told support this as well, so they couldn't just blame it on the station.

So, I am led to believe the TV and DVDR have different tuners or different implementation of the same chip. Since the DVDR is much newer than the TV, there should be no excuse for this. I assume however that the products are designed manufactured and tested by completely different divisions, if not different outside companies.

If I hear back from CS or see some acknowledgement of the problem and a fix, I may re-buy it. I did like it otherwise.

It's just that I would want to record so much on PBSHD.

Mike
post #96 of 236 Old 04-12-2007, 08:55 AM

Because these were on sale at Best Buy for $206 I picked one up (returned the Samsung AR650 to walmart).

LG DR787T

PRO:
Short Channel Delay ~1-2 Sec
Remote Response
4:3 P&S works great
Timeshift
Has a nice on screen display that lists the current show
Plays basically every DVD standard

CON:
A bit expensive (BB Sale ~$206)
No EPG
Letterbox bars are gray (just feels strange)
No S-Video input
post #97 of 236 Old 04-12-2007, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

OK, I got a new one of these. The first good thing is that it tuned my cable channels this time. Again, though, it auto preset as available about 100 channels that were scrambled, which I had to manually delete. Here's what I found out on the way:

1. Deleting a channel will delete the main channel AND all sub-channels, even though they show up separately in the edit list.

2. There is a separate option "skip", which allows individual sub-channels to be removed from the scroll list while watching.

I just noticed this unit is vibrating a good bit too, enough to make a bunch of little things on my entertainment center to vibrate with it and make noises.

Only been playing a disc for a few minutes, but can already feel the heat.

Changing channels is very fast indeed. There is only one list for both digital and analog and I am not crazy about that. The clock also is not displayed during disc playback neither on the front panel nor on the on screen display. Picture is still a bit dark.

The other thing I remembered - the info display only show the title of the current program and no summary.
post #98 of 236 Old 04-12-2007, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There is a separate option "skip", which allows individual sub-channels to be removed from the scroll list while watching.

Changing channels is very fast indeed. There is only one list for both digital and analog and I am not crazy about that.

Great thanks....looks like I'll have to pick up the VCR/DVD combo for my grandparents and "test drive" it for a few weeks to make sure it doesn't fail.

At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #99 of 236 Old 04-12-2007, 06:32 PM

FYI everyone it is now listed on LG's website.

http://us.lge.com/products/model/det...__DR787T.jhtml
post #100 of 236 Old 04-12-2007, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Just found something very important that might make it worth keeping unless it spontaneously bursts in flames.

It seems like it retains the channel line ups from cable and OTA without having to run a full scan time when you switch from one to the other. The thing is though that you still have to start the scan and abort it.
post #101 of 236 Old 04-13-2007, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just found something very important that might make it worth keeping unless it spontaneously bursts in flames.

It seems like it retains the channel line ups from cable and OTA without having to run a full scan time when you switch from one to the other. The thing is though that you still have to start the scan and abort it.

Interesting...might try it out with the RC797T to see if it is the same.

Is this thread being used for both the 787 and 797? I am going to pick up a 797 on the way home from work (talk about an ordeal just trying to find a valid "in stock" on the BB website) and play around with it for a couple of weeks to make sure it meets the requirements I have determined for my grandparents.

I tried looking for a TV / VHS / DVD combo TV unit, but for the same size (27") it wouldn't fit in their cabinet by about 2 inches ....I was willing to spend the extra $150 for an all in one for them....oh well, should be fun testing this out.

post #102 of 236 Old 04-13-2007, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Anyone brave enough to try this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by videohelp.com View Post

Region code hack posted by MarkN, April 12 2007:
Purchased two of these VCR/DVD recorders (for the ATSC-digital tuner) in March 2007 at Best Buy. They play PAL/region 0 out of the box. To enable region-free playback I used the CD-ROM previously made for my LG LST-3510A. Visit this link for the files to burn your disc:

http://aiwaownersnetwork.tripod.com/..._firmware.html

Next:
--Power on the player and load the CD-ROM
--In a few moments a text box appears displaying current DVD region and a second line to change DVD region
--Press the number you wish (most likely "0") on the remote control
--Press "Enter" on the remote control
--In a few seconds the player will eject the disc. Remove the CD-ROM from the tray and power off

Upon powering on the player my region 2 and 4 DVD's play fine but Macrovision still remains.

All my discs are region 1 or region free.

post #103 of 236 Old 04-13-2007, 02:23 PM

Well since that is designed for a 5000 series machine I think I will not be trying it.
post #104 of 236 Old 04-13-2007, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Hell yeah! I'm trying it as soon as I have some time!
post #105 of 236 Old 04-13-2007, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

I got the 797 today and have played with it for a little bit. Here is what I have seen so far (more testing to come)

Settings: 4:3 P&S to SDTV
OTA Channels
Composite Output

I recorded some OTA channels (both channels broadcast in 16:9 (NBC News) and 4:3 (Local PBS -- they don't add the pillar bars, but broadcast 480i).

I found that that SP recording was very good (I'd watch it back on my 42" plasma and it is very viewable), but I also found with these settings that it doesn't record the widescreen flag. Everything played back on my HDTV showed in 4:3 mode and the nice "HD" portion that NBC news adds to the sides of the screen was cropped away.

I will test some more in different modes when I get a chance. As long as this unit doesn't burn up, it looks like a winner. I also made a short (~15 minute) demo DVD in SP mode. I could upload an ISO for others, but don't have a fast server that could handle 480MB being downloaded

post #106 of 236 Old 04-13-2007, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivartk View Post

I got the 797 today and have played with it for a little bit. Here is what I have seen so far (more testing to come)

I will test some more in different modes when I get a chance. As long as this unit doesn't burn up, it looks like a winner. I also made a short (~15 minute) demo DVD in SP mode. I could upload an ISO for others, but don't have a fast server that could handle 480MB being downloaded

I think it is more likely to stay cool, if I remember correctly it does have a fan on the back.
post #107 of 236 Old 04-13-2007, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Darn, I was about to try the region hack, and just noticed I don't have any blank CD-rs left.

I also put the LG now on top of the Philips, now we'll see if that will make any difference. seems to be vibrating less now.
post #108 of 236 Old 04-13-2007, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think it is more likely to stay cool, if I remember correctly it does have a fan on the back.

You are correct, there is a small fan on the back of the unit. I am testing the timer recording function right now as I set it to record Ghost Whisperer (in 16:9 mode). So far so good. I'll finalize the disc and see how it plays back on my widescreen.

post #109 of 236 Old 04-13-2007, 07:05 PM

For anyone who is interested mine does 1.5 speed with audio just fine, all I do is push the fast forwared double arrow once to activate it (I have only tested with some of my RW disks).

Has anyone actually tried it with a DVD-RAM disk? The manual says they recommend Fujifilm and Mitsubishi DVD-RAM but why???? I will tell you why, I have tried Maxell and it just refuses to read it, I have also heard it will not work with Panasonic discs... I really want to see how the time shift works but I am unable to locate a Fujifilm or Mitsubishi DVD-RAM disk anywhere except the internet. I called basically everyone in Sacramento I could think of and it's a no go.

1. Rits Camera - can order Panasonic disks
2. Radio shack - can order Memorex disks (expensive)
3. Staples - NO
4. Office MAX - Told me there is no such thing
5. Best Buy - 5 pack Panasonic $12.99
6. Wal-Mart - 3 pack Maxell $9.99 (does not work)
7. Frys - Single Panasonic $1.90 + shipping
8. Circuit City - 5 pack Panasonic $12.99
9. CompUSA - 3 pack Memorex $14.99

Where oh where to get a Fujifilm DVD-RAM
post #110 of 236 Old 04-13-2007, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Yup, just tried it and the 1.5 with audio works on my new one too. I think that advertising a feature that only works with one brand of media, that's not available anywhere is plain perverse.

So I've had it sitting on the Philips now (the Philips is turned off) and after about 2 hours of operation it is burning just as much as it was sitting on the receiver.

I don't know, maybe I just shouldn't worry about the heat, I guess the first one I tried might have been defective since its QAM tuner didn't tune anything, and the 1.5 with audio wasn't working either.

I love that it's remembering its channel lists when you switch from OTA to cable. The Philips loses them and I have to rescan every time.
post #111 of 236 Old 04-13-2007, 07:14 PM

Quote:

Yup, just tried it and the 1.5 with audio works on my new one too. I think that advertising a feature that only works with one brand of media, that's not available anywhere is plain perverse.

So I've had it sitting on the Philips now (the Philips is turned off) and after about 2 hours of operation it is burning just as much as it was sitting on the receiver.

I don't know, maybe I just shouldn't worry about the heat, I guess the first one I tried might have been defective since its QAM tuner didn't tune anything, and the 1.5 with audio wasn't working either.

I love that it's remembering its channel lists when you switch from OTA to cable. The Philips loses them and I have to rescan every time.

I agree with you totally! I have determined that it does in fact not work with Maxell or Panasonic disks What is the big deal, why cant it work with other brands?

Fujifilm and Mitsubishi DVD-RAM only...
post #112 of 236 Old 04-13-2007, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwuck View Post

The manual says they recommend Fujifilm and Mitsubishi DVD-RAM but why???? I will tell you why, I have tried Maxell and it just refuses to read it, I have also heard it will not work with Panasonic discs...

Hmmm...just read this and had some Maxell and Panasonic DVD-RAM discs that I use with my DMR-E80H recorder and gave them a try. Both had previously recorded data from the E80H. This is what I found with my DR797T

Maxell (DRM47)(Wal-Mart circa 2004) - Recognized discs, let me play back Panny Recording, let me do the "timeshift" function when adding additional material.

Panasonic (came with Panny Recorder) - Recognized discs, let me play back Panny Recording, let me do the "timeshift" function when adding additional material.

The only thing I did notice that the instruction manual gives two ways to induce timeshift.

1) The timeshift button -- DOES NOT work
2) Press "Play" during Recording -- DOES WORK!!

I noticed that you must let it be at least 30 seconds into the recording before it will let you timeshift. Worked perfectly for me via method #2.

Maybe the DR787T and DR797T have different firmware? Not sure how to check.

post #113 of 236 Old 04-13-2007, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well it's definitely not my receiver. The LG is burning hot again, and it's been sitting on top of the Philips, which was off the whole time. I almost always leave the DVD playing and fall asleep so the thing will have to be able to work all night without damaging the disc, it's own circuitry, or my receiver.
post #114 of 236 Old 04-13-2007, 08:39 PM

Quote:

Hmmm...just read this and had some Maxell and Panasonic DVD-RAM discs that I use with my DMR-E80H recorder and gave them a try. Both had previously recorded data from the E80H. This is what I found with my DR797T

Maxell (DRM47)(Wal-Mart circa 2004) - Recognized discs, let me play back Panny Recording, let me do the "timeshift" function when adding additional material.

Panasonic (came with Panny Recorder) - Recognized discs, let me play back Panny Recording, let me do the "timeshift" function when adding additional material.

The only thing I did notice that the instruction manual gives two ways to induce timeshift.

1) The timeshift button -- DOES NOT work
2) Press "Play" during Recording -- DOES WORK!!

I noticed that you must let it be at least 30 seconds into the recording before it will let you timeshift. Worked perfectly for me via method #2.

Maybe the DR787T and DR797T have different firmware? Not sure how to check.

This is very interesting... does the DR797T manual say anything in it about only using Fujifilm and Mitsubishi disks? The DR787T flat out refuses to read Maxell DVD-RAM disks. On the screen it says "unrecognized DVD-RAM disk, initialize?" I say yes, then it takes about 2 min and finally just says unrecognized DVD-RAM disk again.
post #115 of 236 Old 04-13-2007, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This is very interesting... does the DR797T manual say anything in it about only using Fujifilm and Mitsubishi disks? The DR787T flat out refuses to read Maxell DVD-RAM disks. On the screen it says "unrecognized DVD-RAM disk, initialize?" I say yes, then it takes about 2 min and finally just says unrecognized DVD-RAM disk again.

Yes, it recommends Fuji (3x?) and Mitsu (2x?). I assume that the manuals are close to the same with just the VHS / Dubbing pages added.

The only difference being I didn't have to intialize any of the DVD-RAMs I tried as they were already initialized by my Panny.

Panasonic DVD-RAM info:
Media Information
Region information N/A not a DVD-VIDEO
MediaCode MatsushitaElectricIndustrialCO.,LTD.M01J0005
UDF Format Type V2.00
UDF Volume Name DVD_VIDEO_RECORDER
UDF Application id
UDF Implementation id MEI_VED
UDF Recording Date/Time (mm/dd/yyyy) 4/25/2004 12:24:47
Format Capacity 4.27GB(4.58GB)
Book Type DVD-RAM
Media Type DVD-RAM
Available Write Descriptor zCLV 2.0x 2770KBps
Data area starting sector 31000h
Data area end sector 22211Fh
Linear Density 0.280um/bit
Track Density 0.615um/track
Number of Layers 1

post #116 of 236 Old 04-14-2007, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Just tried the region code hack and it worked like a charm. Someone had posted the file to burn onto a CD to do it, but I don't see it on this thread now, might be on another thread.
post #117 of 236 Old 04-14-2007, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

The hack can also be found at videohelp.com

I was playing with some more DVD-RAMs (Panasonic) and either I have an disc that has failed, or the LG unit is very picky.

I put in the DVD-RAM, initialized it, recorded one program and tried to do time shift. The time shift was very "jerky" but after the recording was done, the playback was fine. I then recorded another program (one touch record) and the unit shut down automatically (like is expected). I turned the unit back on to view the recording and the disc wasn't recognized and it asked if I wanted to "initialize" it again. I said no, took the disc to my Panny unit and it also couldn't read it. I found this strange since it had just finished a recording on it and I had just finished playback prior to that.

I'm hoping that this is just a disc getting old. I have tried with another Panasonic DVD-RAM and all seems to be working well.

post #118 of 236 Old 04-14-2007, 05:43 PM

Quote:

The hack can also be found at videohelp.com

I was playing with some more DVD-RAMs (Panasonic) and either I have an disc that has failed, or the LG unit is very picky.

I put in the DVD-RAM, initialized it, recorded one program and tried to do time shift. The time shift was very "jerky" but after the recording was done, the playback was fine. I then recorded another program (one touch record) and the unit shut down automatically (like is expected). I turned the unit back on to view the recording and the disc wasn't recognized and it asked if I wanted to "initialize" it again. I said no, took the disc to my Panny unit and it also couldn't read it. I found this strange since it had just finished a recording on it and I had just finished playback prior to that.

I'm hoping that this is just a disc getting old. I have tried with another Panasonic DVD-RAM and all seems to be working well.

So yours works ok with the Panasonic disk? I called LG about this and they told me it wont work with a Panasonic disk (and it refuses to work with Maxell too).
post #119 of 236 Old 04-14-2007, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

So far with my limited testing here is what I have discovered.

Panasonic Disc 2x DVD-RAM purchased in late 2003
-- tried 3 discs so far, 2 have worked without a problem, one was initilized and was able to record / playback, but upon cycling the disc, it was not able to read it again. Right now, I'm going to assume that it is a bad disc (and need to read it in my PC to see what it tells me)

Maxell Disc 2x DVD-RAM purchased mid-2004
-- tried 1 disc so far, it worked without problem.

I had no problem changing the discs between the LG and my Panny, both would play back all the video regardless of which unit recorded it.

From the "vague" suggested media, it looks like 3x is the fastest it can handle. Is the Maxell you tried a 2x, 3x or 5x....maybe that makes a difference?

post #120 of 236 Old 04-14-2007, 06:48 PM

Quote:

Hey Schwuck, my 787 will recognize the Maxell and the panny's and i can record with em. I just can't use the timer record. If I am watching a show and hit record ( after I initialize it ) it will record the show and chase record, but when I set the timer to come on and record a show, it tells me there is not enough time on the disc to do the recording.
When I called support ( what a joke that was ) the a-hole that I spoke to told me to read the manual on page 6 were it tells you what type of disc it uses. he said that if I use the fuji or Mitsu that it would work like it is suppose to.
Like you....I have been every were trying to find either the fuji or Mitsu rams and can't find them anywere.
If you or anybody else finds a place that sells those disc please let me know.

BigOc90
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page