post #181 of 236 Old 05-14-2007, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sivartk View Post

since I can't find the manual online and I'm trying to trouble shoot without it can anyone tell me if there is a button on the remote to change from 480i / 480p etc. My grandfather fell asleep and hit buttons on the remote and can no longer get an image. My thinking is that he hit the resolution button since it boots up but they see nothing on the screen.

You have the 797 right? Its remote is different than the 787. The 787 only has a resolution button on the front panel. I'd try the input button it might've changed to one of those, I've done that with other recorders before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 236 Old 05-14-2007, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyslav View Post

You have the 797 right? Its remote is different than the 787. The 787 only has a resolution button on the front panel. I'd try the input button it might've changed to one of those, I've done that with other recorders before.

ah yes, probably changed it to an input, I'll give them a call later tonight...no more sleep surfing for the grandfather

At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it.

My Little Theater
post #183 of 236 Old 05-16-2007, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabjxo View Post

Just a WAG: Make sure you've got the LG clock set manually and DST is OFF.

I promise it has nothing to do with that.
My trouble with my local PBS-HD goes way back - a couple TVs and a couple recorders back. Thanks for the thought, though.

Yes, I am familiar with the DST problem and fix on other units.
The 797 never had any problem getting and keeping the time, or with dropping channel lineups like the other new recorders.

Here is the short version:
A while back my local PBS changed their broadcast of PBS-HD from constant to variable bit rate. My (then) Philips TV then could no longer process the signal - garbage picture.

NB: Only one subchannel was now bad, so it's not a reception or antenna problem. It is the actual format of the broadcast. There are 18 ATSC formats, and I don't know if some tuners have trouble with some of them or what. I think so because some tuners have no problem with the same subchannel.

A firmware update from Philips fixed that problem but caused others. I ditched the Philips for an LG. The LG TV receives the signal fine. The LG recorder however could not. I explained this to LG, so they also could not simply blame the station. Soon my 30 day return window was closing with no sign of progress on their part, so I returned the 797 to try others. I am still monitoring LG's website. If I see signs of them acknowledging and fixing the problem, I would probably re-buy it.
post #184 of 236 Old 05-16-2007, 08:32 AM

Quote:

It's also on the front panel for the LG RC797T, too. You step through 4801/p, 720p, and 1080i from the RES button. It is *not* on the remote.
post #185 of 236 Old 06-21-2007, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

What is the story on the LG line. Has everyone on this forum given up on it?

I see the last post is dated 5-16.

Just curious as I had forgotten about it and had been focusing on the Panasonic and Philips brands.

-DonB2
post #186 of 236 Old 06-21-2007, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonB2 View Post

What is the story on the LG line. Has everyone on this forum given up on it?

I see the last post is dated 5-16.

Just curious as I had forgotten about it and had been focusing on the Panasonic and Philips brands.

-DonB2

Well I kept mine, and am pretty happy with it. The only thing i wish it had was auto clock set, other than that it's been working great.
post #187 of 236 Old 06-21-2007, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

I got so wrapped up in the Panasonic I forgot all about the LG line. I guess they just PO'd me too much when I first wrote the rep about HD pass thru and got mixed answers from him.

Does the LG have some version of EPG? That is one thing I wish the Pan had. Also it looks like the LG can record ATSC to the tape?

-DonB2
post #188 of 236 Old 06-21-2007, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonB2 View Post

Does the LG have some version of EPG? That is one thing I wish the Pan had. Also it looks like the LG can record ATSC to the tape?

-DonB2

No EPG, only shows the title of the current program, and that's from OTA only. I don't hink it's such a great loss though because the Samsung 650 had EPG and it worked like crap. I have the DR787T which is DVDR only, no VHS, but as far as I know the combo model does record ATSC to VHS and if I am not mistaken even upconverts VHS over the HDMI.
post #189 of 236 Old 06-21-2007, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

No EPG, only shows the title of the current program, and that's from OTA only. I don't hink it's such a great loss though because the Samsung 650 had EPG and it worked like crap. I have the DR787T which is DVDR only, no VHS, but as far as I know the combo model does record ATSC to VHS and if I am not mistaken even upconverts VHS over the HDMI.

You are correct, it will record ATSC to VHS. Never tried with HDMI to see if it would upconvert.

My grandparents haven't complained about theirs, so I can only assume it is still working fine several months later.

At no point in your rambling, incoherent post were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it.

My Little Theater
post #190 of 236 Old 06-21-2007, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

I think I read that the Panasonic can not record ATSC to the VHS .

Maybe the fact that there are not a lot of ongoing posts for the LG is a good thing as it may mean there are not lots of odd issues.

-DonB2
post #191 of 236 Old 06-22-2007, 08:53 PM

I bought 787 on ebay recently and I has been working fine.
I thing I noticed that recording is always in 4:3 even for HD channels with 16:9 ratio.
LG is displaying it in 16:9 but if I take a recorded HD channel DVD to computer or other DVD player they see it as 4:3 ratio.
Is there any DVR out there recording 16:9 correctly?
post #192 of 236 Old 07-02-2007, 04:48 PM
Advanced Member

Hi everyone,

I saw that bobbyslav was having issues months ago with not receiving digital channels on the LG brand of VHS/DVD Recorders. My dad has the LG RC797T VHS/DVD Combo and to resolve the problem of digital channels dropping off, he's had to unplug the machine, power it back up and reset the digital channels (analog channels come through fine) on at least two occasions. We noticed this when VHS Recordings showed "No Signal" on the screen. Since he's out of the window for BB's 30 day money back guarantee, he's SOL. Anyone had success with resolving this issue or have any suggestions to try (other than chunking it out the window)? Thank you for the info....

RIP My Cable Service with Charter (3/15/2002-8/13/2009); 2nd Tour with Basic Only On Charter Cable: 10/2011-Present
post #193 of 236 Old 07-02-2007, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by popweaverhdtv View Post

Hi everyone,

I saw that bobbyslav was having issues months ago with not receiving digital channels on the LG brand of VHS/DVD Recorders. My dad has the LG RC797T VHS/DVD Combo and to resolve the problem of digital channels dropping off, he's had to unplug the machine, power it back up and reset the digital channels (analog channels come through fine) on at least two occasions. We noticed this when VHS Recordings showed "No Signal" on the screen. Since he's out of the window for BB's 30 day money back guarantee, he's SOL. Anyone had success with resolving this issue or have any suggestions to try (other than chunking it out the window)? Thank you for the info....

I actually have the DVD only version... I think the first unit was defective, it used to drop signal all the time and over heat. I exchanged it though and haven't had any problems with the new one.
post #194 of 236 Old 07-31-2007, 03:41 AM

Hi all,

If anyone else has the ATSC tuner problem with certain channels, there is a firmware update for both the RC797T and DR787T.
Apparently the problem is caused by one of the 18 ATSC standards, when the image is 1440x1080.

LG has right-click disabled, and I don't feel like messing with different browsers.
Enter either model number in the driver update section of the service / support section. I have uploaded their picture of the problem.

For my discussion of the problem earlier in this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&#post10012510
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&#post10244533
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&#post10245158
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&#post10550455

Take care,
Mike
LL
post #195 of 236 Old 07-31-2007, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkjnovak View Post

Hi all,

If anyone else has the ATSC tuner problem with certain channels, there is a firmware update for both the RC797T and DR787T.
Apparently the problem is caused by one of the 18 ATSC standards, when the image is 1440x1080.

LG has right-click disabled, and I don't feel like messing with different browsers.
Enter either model number in the driver update section of the service / support section. I have uploaded their picture of the problem.

For my discussion of the problem earlier in this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&#post10012510
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&#post10244533
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&#post10245158
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&#post10550455

Take care,
Mike

Wild! Never had that problem with my LG, but thought I'd do the upgrade anyway, except that... well I can't find it on the LG website - the only thing they have listed under downloads is the manual.
post #196 of 236 Old 07-31-2007, 11:54 PM

Quote:

Wild! Never had that problem with my LG, but thought I'd do the upgrade anyway, except that... well I can't find it on the LG website - the only thing they have listed under downloads is the manual.

It's not on the product page.
From the product page, first go to the Service Center, then Device Driver, select DVD & Video & Set top, then type in the model.
They sure make it easy.
post #197 of 236 Old 08-01-2007, 06:09 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

It's not on the product page.
From the product page, first go to the Service Center, then Device Driver, select DVD & Video & Set top, then type in the model.
They sure make it easy.

Ah! Found it, thanks. Did it fix your problem? I think I am going to hold off this upgrade, since I've never had that issue. It doesn't seem to address any of my problems, and I am worried it might mess up my region hack.

On another note --- has anyone noticed when scanning QAM channels... well mine will say something like 112 found and when surfing with the up and down buttons it will stop on 112 channels, but about 100 of those will just say scrambled or no signal.
post #198 of 236 Old 08-02-2007, 01:39 PM

Quote:

Ah! Found it, thanks. Did it fix your problem?

I still need to decide to re-buy after returning it. (see earlier posts mentioned above)
post #199 of 236 Old 08-02-2007, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

I still need to decide to re-buy after returning it. (see earlier posts mentioned above)

Well if you are still thinking about getting it, now is the time. Check out it's new price!! I am mad!
post #200 of 236 Old 10-06-2007, 11:41 AM

I'm thinking of getting the 787 to use as a recorder, and as a QAM tuner for Comcast. Does anyone know the channel range for the 787? I haven't been able to find that info anywhere else. I have an LG LSS-3200A DirecTV receiver, and it will only scan up to channel 135.
post #201 of 236 Old 10-07-2007, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youfo View Post

I'm thinking of getting the 787 to use as a recorder, and as a QAM tuner for Comcast. Does anyone know the channel range for the 787? I haven't been able to find that info anywhere else. I have an LG LSS-3200A DirecTV receiver, and it will only scan up to channel 135.

Not sure, but I know it's the same as any other recorder. I am tempted to say 1-120 analog, and 1-136 digital.
post #202 of 236 Old 12-16-2007, 03:40 PM

Hey all.

Returned my Panny DMR-EZ17 today after many probs. with timer as other thread talks about.
I loved the QAM on it though(way clear)-- ah well. Was 200.00 at Target.

Picked up the LG DR787T today at BB for $152.99-- not bad but I did read ALL the posts here and the probs so will see.

Has anyone had both of these units and can comment about pros/weaknesses on the QAM between these two? Was wondering.
Guess I will know soon enough though but still wanted to ask! LOL.

From the posts here, it seems very good in that area.

I actually wish when I go to Wally World and the rest of the stores that I was flooded with HDD DVD recorders and not the many "line in" ones I saw today at C CIty/BB.

The HDD Pannys go for $$$$ on Ebay with NO ATSC either. Wow.
post #203 of 236 Old 12-18-2007, 09:30 PM

Oh well.
back to a panny.
took the LG back--- didnt like the RAM use....that is- it only had chasing playback and not simultaneous record/play which I use a lot.

Plus it got wayyyyyyyy too hot.

Now have a Panny DMREZ27.

post #204 of 236 Old 01-08-2008, 12:55 PM

I have an LG rc 797t and have problems with it corrupting disks among other things. Gone thru an entire box of DVD-RAMs and now they all have errors on them. It does not keep the disk labels I type in using disk manager (even when all I do is eject the disk and put it right back in). The drives reliability is flakey at best.
post #205 of 236 Old 01-08-2008, 04:22 PM
Advanced Member

I've got an LG DR787T and it's been an OK machine...except it needed to be sent out to get fixed only 3-4 months after purchase. Thankfully had gotten a protection agreement on it from BBuy and so didn't have to pay a cent to get it repaired, but still...after only having it that long, it was disappointing to have to get it fixed that soon.

Since then it's behaved OK, although in the past couple of months it's died twice -- the time display goes black, and it will not respond to efforts to power up either via remote or the on/off button on the front. Unplugging it for several minutes to re-set it has fixed it...but after that I went out and got a $99 Toshiba DVD recorder w/o tuner just to serve as a backup (since I've got a cable box, that will work well enough).

Would I recommend the LG to anyone else? Probably not. If I'd have known I would have invested the money in a Panny instead, like my hubby just did to replace HIS malfunctioning LG (a model similar to mine but older). That one's been fixed once already, as well, and will have to get sent out again...it's close to a year old but not much older.

DK
post #206 of 236 Old 02-24-2008, 10:29 AM

Ok well I just bought the 787t yesterday at bb,I recorded a hockey game off of an hd broadcast and was pleased with the way it turned out.Although now I'm reading all these problems and bad reviews and I'm hoping I didn't just waste 200 bucks.
post #207 of 236 Old 02-24-2008, 10:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmd420 View Post

Ok well I just bought the 787t yesterday at bb,I recorded a hockey game off of an hd broadcast and was pleased with the way it turned out.Although now I'm reading all these problems and bad reviews and I'm hoping I didn't just waste 200 bucks.

Well I'd like to think that they've worked out the bugs by now. My LG was bought last May 2007, so maybe the newer ones will work out better?

I hope that's the case...good luck with your new recorder.

DGK
post #208 of 236 Old 02-24-2008, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Had mine over a year now, very happy with it.
post #209 of 236 Old 02-28-2008, 12:31 PM

Liked: 11
Had mine for about 6 months with little problems....except......

bought some Panny RAM. I gave up using them because about 50% of the time, the LG couldn't find anything on it after a recording. LG recommends a different brand...haven't tried that yet.

And some of my recorded discs will have already played fine at one time or the other, but then freeze up or not play at all. I'm trying HP disc now with some success.

I had tried 2 Panny EZ17 units...first had problems out of the box; second had tuning issues. I HATED how both units were slow to change channels. Got the 787t and am fairly happy with it.
post #210 of 236 Old 02-28-2008, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by guest68 View Post

Had mine for about 6 months with little problems....except......

bought some Panny RAM. I gave up using them because about 50% of the time, the LG couldn't find anything on it after a recording. LG recommends a different brand...haven't tried that yet.

And some of my recorded discs will have already played fine at one time or the other, but then freeze up or not play at all. I'm trying HP disc now with some success.

I had tried 2 Panny EZ17 units...first had problems out of the box; second had tuning issues. I HATED how both units were slow to change channels. Got the 787t and am fairly happy with it.

This has not come up in a while, but it is well documented here that new Panasonic RAMs usually need to be washed if they are giving one performance problems. The theory is some kind of mold release agent on the surface that messes with the laser. Just use tepid tap water and liquid dish soap with a soft cloth. Give the surface a good scrub with the soft cloth then rinse and dry with a soft cloth towel. Don't use any paper towels. Then see if you can reformat and use again.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page