Forum Jump: 

post #211 of 236 Old 02-28-2008, 08:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

This has not come up in a while, but it is well documented here that new Panasonic RAMs usually need to be washed if they are giving one performance problems. The theory is some kind of mold release agent on the surface that messes with the laser. Just use tepid tap water and liquid dish soap with a soft cloth. Give the surface a good scrub with the soft cloth then rinse and dry with a soft cloth towel. Don't use any paper towels. Then see if you can reformat and use again.

Thanks!

Guess I should have checked in more often......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 236 Old 03-01-2008, 03:15 PM

Liked: 10
Ok Im stumped here and the blood pressure is risin'! I just received optical cables through the mail today,and went to hook one up from my 787 to my 5.1 digital receiver(Pioneer vsx-d498)optical out from the recorder to the optical in #1 on the receiver and I can't get any sound!I get no sound at all on either the regular dvd or the dvd 5.1 setting on my receiver.Do you have to turn on the optics from the recorder or something?I have the audio option set to bitstream on the recorder..I thought at first I was overlooking something stupid,but after about five hours of ****ing with this thing I am at a loss.A ton of thanks for any help/advice!!
post #213 of 236 Old 03-01-2008, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmd420 View Post

Ok Im stumped here and the blood pressure is risin'! I just received optical cables through the mail today,and went to hook one up from my 787 to my 5.1 digital receiver(Pioneer vsx-d498)optical out from the recorder to the optical in #1 on the receiver and I can't get any sound!I get no sound at all on either the regular dvd or the dvd 5.1 setting on my receiver.Do you have to turn on the optics from the recorder or something?I have the audio option set to bitstream on the recorder..I thought at first I was overlooking something stupid,but after about five hours of ****ing with this thing I am at a loss.A ton of thanks for any help/advice!!

You most probably have to assign the optical 1 input to the DVD selection on your receiver. Most receivers by default assign the Coax 1 for DVD. Read through your receivers manual on assigning inputs, or just dig through its menus. Hope this helps.
post #214 of 236 Old 03-02-2008, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyslav View Post

You most probably have to assign the optical 1 input to the DVD selection on your receiver. Most receivers by default assign the Coax 1 for DVD. Read through your receivers manual on assigning inputs, or just dig through its menus. Hope this helps.

Yeah I thought of that...I don't know how to do it and of course the manual doesnt really tell you much.
post #215 of 236 Old 03-02-2008, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmd420 View Post

Yeah I thought of that...I don't know how to do it and of course the manual doesnt really tell you much.

According to your manual, the Coax input is assigned to the DVD selection by default, Opt 1 to the CD, opt 2 to the MD. You can either read pages 15-19 to find out how to change those assignments, or simply switch the receiver either to CD or MD, depending on which Opt in you connect the DVD recorder to. You can also simply use a coaxial cable, the LG has both types of outputs and the results are absolutely identical.

If you can't find your receiver's manual, check out Pioneer's web site, I found it on there.
post #216 of 236 Old 04-08-2008, 07:26 AM

I have recently experienced the unit refusing to play the SDDVD version of "Good Night & Good Luck". It flashed some type of security message on the screen. My unit is connected thru HDMI cable not component. I wanted to utilize the "upscaler" capability of the player.

I understand that Sony, Universal and other major studios have implemented a code chip which prevents pirated DVD's from playing, but this was a new DVD I purchased from Wal-Mart in WPB, Fl.

This DVD plays without issue in my $59.95 Phillips DVP5982 player. This is very annoying. I have read reviews at other sites which mentioned this issue without resolution from LG. Studio paranoia is creating lots of pain in the U.S. In Asia, the copy capital of the world, the players play anything from anywhere.

Has anyone experienced the same problem with the "upscaler" HDMI input?
post #217 of 236 Old 05-29-2008, 01:46 PM
Advanced Member

I'm about to purchase this unit for $99 on Geeks.com

Can someone test the following for me:

1. How long is the longest recording mode last? What's the Dolby Digital sampling rate in this mode? 128 or 196?
2. Does it decode the unscrambled cable TV's audio channels? Can you record it into the disks?

Thank you!
post #218 of 236 Old 05-29-2008, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Would it's follow up model, the DR797T be any better?

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #219 of 236 Old 05-29-2008, 07:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C View Post

Would it's follow up model, the DR797T be any better?

Who knows...maybe. But after our experience I'm not going to get an LG recorder again anytime soon.

It's weird, their HDTVs seem fine (have had one since 2006 and it's had no trouble). Just don't get anything from them that has moving parts!

DGK
post #220 of 236 Old 05-30-2008, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Actually I had 2 LG TV's. I bought a 20" HD LCD that looked beautiful both on and off. Almost immediately it started turning itself off while watching it. I exchanged it a couple days later. The next one was DOA. It had sound but no picture. I brought it back and got a different brand.
On the DVDR front I bought a very nice looking LG "super Multi format" unit about 2 years ago. It was one of the first DVDR's that would record to DL discs. I think?? it was round $300. What I remember was the poor PQ on speeds above 2 hrs. I returned it after a couple days.
I guess I haven't had too good luck with LG's. I respect those that do, but I myself will probably avoid the brand. On another note I really like my Zenith(LG) CECB. Well I guess I do now notice the left channel audio problem if I listen real hard. It really doesn't bother me though so I'll just live with it.
post #221 of 236 Old 05-30-2008, 04:34 PM
Advanced Member

And honestly as much as I like my LG HDTV, I confess that after seeing the PQ we get on our newer Toshiba 26" HDTV that we've got for upstairs, I'd probably get one of THOSE (but bigger of course) when I have to replace the LG some day. It's an awesome little TV at a decent price. I'd never really considered Toshiba until I read about the new ones...glad now we bought that one.

But then I digress...LOL I've also had great luck with the Toshiba DVD recorder I bought, and I'd recommend it to anyone. Still wouldn't buy another LG recorder, though.

DGK
post #222 of 236 Old 09-10-2008, 05:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have to tell you all something about the dr787t

I bought a used one manufacture date Dec 2007
I thought it would be reasonably good, BUT, it stopped reading discs after only a week of use. And never did read the recommended FUJI DVD-ram discs.

So I repaired the drive by putting in a NEW LASER assembly from a brand new

LG GSA-H55L Double-Layer DVD±RW/CD-RW drive I bought on ebay. I got this idea off a Russian web site where someone repaired an LG recorder using this drive for the laser.

It is working now and will even read the panasonic DVD-RAM disks that everyone said would not work.

All you need to do is pull the laser off the rails by unscrewing the rail guides and slip in a new laser. I went about this the hard way switching the spindle motor, but do not do this as it will affect the disc alignment. The laser is an EXACT match and fits perfectly.
The new drive also comes with a metal stiffener bracket you can swap into the old metal assembly on the recorders drive.
post #223 of 236 Old 09-10-2008, 05:59 AM

I have to make 3 posts to post the link
post #224 of 236 Old 09-10-2008, 06:00 AM

another post to increase my count
post #225 of 236 Old 09-10-2008, 06:00 AM

post #226 of 236 Old 11-21-2008, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBri99 View Post

I've owned mine for less than 24 hours, and I've already decided to return this.

The poor tuner is the reason. I've owned the Samsung SIRT451 and TB260F, the 451 was good, the 260 was better, the LG 787 is really poor.

I have my antenna in a fixed position, and with the SIRT451 I was able to get 3 local stations (~20 miles). Only 1 is HD so I wanted long distance stations also.

I was able to receive 2 long distance stations (~75 miles) 24/7 with the SIRT451. With the HTB260F I was able to receive 3 more long distance stations.

I guess I expected this to be a set-top-box with a DVD recorder. It is basically a DVD recorder they decided to throw a ATSC tuner in. Using a set-top-box I was used to the Electronic Program Guide, and I expected it to be a part of the unit, but it is not.

The only plus I can find is the quality analog tuner, it is the best I've seen. I use OTA only, and where other tuners are snowy with weak stations, the LG is much clearer. (The irony here is this part is obsolete in 23 months). Whereas the digital tuner will suck forever.

I used the optical digital connection to my receiver, and it does pass 5.1 audio for DVDs, but I couldn't receive long distance stations in HD and 5.1 audio to see if the digital tuner was able to process 5.1 audio.

This did not meet my expectations.

OnAir GT, here I come!

Long distance tv signals are not that reliable past 70miles or so esp with digital at least until they go full power.
post #227 of 236 Old 01-05-2009, 12:06 PM

I (maybe unfortunately) bought one from eBay... It arrived and I left for Christmas family visit immediately. Returned to try it out. It recorded once successfully using brand new +RW media made for Frys. Supposedly 2nd tier quality. The supplied -RW was not recognized until I used a PC to erase it, and it has never been able to use it for anything.
Now, it does the copy protection stop after recording for 10-15 minutes from Spike on C-band dish.

If I get one of the LG GSA-H55L drives, and replace the laser, do you think I can get more reliable recording? I don't know if it is the media or the CP, but it sure can spend a LONG time recognizing disks.
When I try to initialize a disk, sometimes it counts down from 2:00 to 0:00 and then just sits there. Need to power cycle to get the machine to respond.
The ATSC tuner does about as well as the CECB tuners, maybe a little more sensitive to problems, but I want to record from line-in mostly, to time shift.
Any thoughts?

tom
post #228 of 236 Old 01-07-2009, 12:45 PM

Not that anyone is interested in the LG, I found out that it is the LIPITOR commercials that are whacking those machines sensitive to digital rights. The one where the man is surprised to have a heart attack at 54(?) and lived in Lafayette, CA. Immediately after the first picture changes, the DRM copy notice pops up and the recording stops.

tom
post #229 of 236 Old 01-07-2009, 01:27 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Tom, very good info... I've alread posted your find in the thread specifically related to CP in commercials!

PHILIPS HD DVRs | MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*Due to the AVS SW change in June 2014, most but not all links in this thread will work if you're not logged in. If you are logged in, links should work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.
post #230 of 236 Old 07-05-2009, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdowney717 View Post

I have to tell you all something about the dr787t

I bought a used one manufacture date Dec 2007
I thought it would be reasonably good, BUT, it stopped reading discs after only a week of use. And never did read the recommended FUJI DVD-ram discs.

So I repaired the drive by putting in a NEW LASER assembly from a brand new

LG GSA-H55L Double-Layer DVD±RW/CD-RW drive I bought on ebay. I got this idea off a Russian web site where someone repaired an LG recorder using this drive for the laser.

It is working now and will even read the panasonic DVD-RAM disks that everyone said would not work.

All you need to do is pull the laser off the rails by unscrewing the rail guides and slip in a new laser. I went about this the hard way switching the spindle motor, but do not do this as it will affect the disc alignment. The laser is an EXACT match and fits perfectly.
The new drive also comes with a metal stiffener bracket you can swap into the old metal assembly on the recorders drive.

This is the first hardware response I could find on the LG "No Disk" error. I can not find any responses that cleaning the laser resolved the issue. Does anyone know if this is this hardware solution would work for the LG RC797T DVD recorder as well?
~Thanks.
post #231 of 236 Old 07-08-2009, 07:50 AM

I *think* the two units are 'brother and sister' as they came out at the same time. If you follow the link to the translated-from-Russian page, you can look at the pics of the drive. I sent back the 787 I had as it just was unreliable at recognizing DVD media.
In my OPINION, I think they have a very weak laser, and it does nothing but get worse. The unit I had was from BestBuy 'refurb' center ... in TX or CA, and it was just like brand new in appearance. But, it didn't work with the 4-5 brands/types of media I tried.
I would have fixed it with the LG laser transplant, but wasn't about to pay what I paid for the 787 AND the cost of the fix.
The two units came out about the same time... and the numbers are very close.. But this is just a guess...
tom
post #232 of 236 Old 07-08-2009, 01:41 PM
Advanced Member

"I went about this the hard way switching the spindle motor, but do not do this as it will affect the disc alignment."

sdowney717

If I swapped motor spindles can I swap them back or is the alignment totally fried on both units?

thanks
post #233 of 236 Old 08-07-2009, 10:42 PM

My stupid LG has quit reading discs. Any thoughts as to the laser replacement working for mine? This has definitely made me look completely past LG for ANY electronic purchases.......

Steve
post #234 of 236 Old 08-08-2009, 08:11 AM

If you have read the above posts, I'd allow as I have given up on the 787. I took the cover off, and saw what I thought was pretty decent quality material. As they say, "it should work", but it doesn't. I noticed that it got very hot, compared to other electronic equipment I have owned. I tried using it with the cover off, and it ran a lot cooler, and actually worked. A few times. When recording, I could see the reflection of the laser as it burned onto the disk. The laser would come on for a second or so, then it would appear to wait 15-30 seconds, then come on for a second or two. My SWAG is that they buffer a bunch of data, then record it in a burst. Keeps the laser from getting too hot?
To your question, have you cleaned the laser? You can purchase cleaning 'disks' that have some sort of fluffy thing that wipes the laser lense. Or, you can take it all apart, and use your cleaner of choice. What can it hurt?
I did find a LG burner locally back in the early part of the year, but, wasn't going to fix something that was 'refurbished to brand new condition'. Well, I guess it actually was refurb'd, but it factory brand new condition is not saying a lot, no?
tom
post #235 of 236 Old 08-08-2009, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmwalsh0 View Post

. . . The unit I had was from BestBuy 'refurb' center ... in TX or CA, and it was just like brand new in appearance. But, it didn't work . . .

Best Buy doesn't refurbish customer returns. Best Buy has a business relationship with DealTree, a liquidator with operations in Texas and California. DealTree has several eBay identities including the "Best Buy Outlet Store." Under that identity DealTree sells new-appearing open-box customer returned merchandise, with all accessories, manuals, documents and original packaging.

I've purchased several Panasonics from various DealTree identities. These Panasonics ranged from as-new to non-functional parts machines. I've usually been pleased with DealTree purchases because I read the condition descriptions in the listings and followed the stated procedures whenever there has been a problem.

The DealTree condition descriptions are usually accurate when stating known defects. There are usually warnings that used or "broken" merchandise may have additional unknown problems or defects. It has been my experience when DealTree lists a product as being in "good working order" it usually is. If the product is found not to be in good working condition DealTree is good about resolving the problem if the buyer follows the adjustment procedure as stated in the listing. If a customer does not follow those procedures the customer is going to be out of luck.

I've read a number of negative DealTree reviews where the customer complains because the merchandise is broken or missing parts or "they won't stand behind the product." Then I've read the listing for that customer's purchase where the DealTree listing states that the merchandise is broken, missing parts and is sold as-is! These customers are actually complaining because they didn't read the condition description or the terms and conditions prior to purchase.

I don't fault DealTree for not including in their listings the information that Panasonic EZ series combo recorders have bugs and design flaws. I find fault with Panasonic for selling products with uncorrected bugs and design flaws. It's easy enough for customers to research products before purchasing. Yet those that don't read and heed the warnings of others are still buying Panasonic EZ series combo recorders, many of which will be abandoned by those purchasers. Some of those purchasers find their way to AVS with a first posting that goes like this, "I've just purchased a ____________ and I'm having problems, what do I do now?" Some products are so bad that the advice is often "here's a post from a year ago where another poster with the same product suggests returning it to the store or the manufacturer or unloading it on eBay or Craig's List."

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #236 of 236 Old 08-08-2009, 11:04 AM

You will note that I did not disrespect Deal Tree or Best Buy. I contacted them and informed them that I had tried multiple brands and varieties of media. The recorder was very inconsistent in its ability to recognize and use the media. One time, it would note the disk was unusable, the next time, it would accept the disk. Upon power cycling, it may or may not have liked the media. That was just too unreliable in my opinion. I think I was able to record a single complete one hour program, once.
Really too bad, as the unit was in perfect condition, came with all the cables, manuals, remote and batteries. It just didn't work. They accepted my return even though it was past the warranty period. I had received the unit in late November, just before traveling out of state, and had no time to determine its functionality until return after Christmas. I explained that I had tried different brands of media, and it was flaky. They sent me a return shipping label, and off it went.
They were excellent in handling my dissatisfaction. Really too bad, as it sure was a nice looking machine with a decent menu interface. Frustrating to put in a disk, and not have any expectation if it would work or not. In contrast, the Mag 2160 has been fine using media the 787 would not touch. I think HS dubbing is great!
tom
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page